home

Author Topic: Ulfenkarn Revealed  (Read 8982 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Ulfenkarn Revealed
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2021, 09:24:29 PM »
Yes, seems to be worth the read, thank you for the link! :::cheers:::

So the author of that article cautions against thinking these figures can immediately be used as the new Soulblight dudes.  Doesn't sound good based on what he provides as info on it.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2021, 11:58:36 PM »
Indeed, sounds like the undead stuff is very poorly set up to be a base for a new undead army. I am hearing a lot of rumours saying the rules in the box are so poor is because they're getting updated ones in the actual book, and they purposely made them like this to not give away special rules and such that are planned. Honestly I dont know if I believe it, or if its just people telling themselves soothing rumours to feel better.

I'm glad the game itself is getting good reviews though, and I'm mostly interested in it from a collecting perspective anyway. If they do end up in games it'll more likely be D&D ones.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2021, 12:30:29 AM »
Yes, I could see these as being for roleplaying, although said similar before.  Strangely, I didn't even try to sign up, and was even chatting with a local store owner recently while not bothering to order one yet.

Not sure if I ordered, then that fitting in the game is likely, yet good to know it is being received relatively well.  Perhaps I will  still order a copy.

However, I have purchased Vanguard Space Marine, Chaos Marines (original version), and Scion start collecting sets.  I have a current Chaos Marines start collecting set on order as well.  Been gravitating towards 40K again, have read the rules through further back last year, and looking forward to  eventually getting in a game at some point.

But I digress. :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 07:52:13 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2021, 04:30:45 PM »
Oh my goodness.... gorgeous models! So it looks like both sides in the Cursed City will be represented in new Battletomes.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/04/05/this-dad-and-daughter-duo-just-love-hunting-witches-together/

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 05:28:05 PM by Sharkbelly »

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2021, 10:11:24 AM »
Oh wow... those two... I'm speechless...

:icon_eek:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2021, 10:47:44 AM »
They seem to be nailing the aesthetic pretty well for human factions with the Cursed City and these two witch hunters... Maybe the future is bright for our beloved Empire afterall?... :?

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
They look a bit 40k-ish, but could be converted into great Witch Hunters with some (small) alterations.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2021, 03:41:20 PM »
Like I was saying in the rumours thread, I think they look great myself. Very much like the older finecast witchhunter they put out. The scale of the crossbow looks a bit strange to me but I spent a fair bit of time looking into it and it actually seems fairly historically accurate for a heavier crossbow. The women also comes with an alternate head option with a sweet hat and I hope the guy does as well.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2021, 05:05:32 PM »
I like those figures better than the one's being released in the Cursed City set.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2021, 11:59:34 PM »
Both of those are fantastic.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2021, 11:02:12 AM »
If these were dubbed as 'the first' of some new releases I assume we're probably going to be getting some more Witch Hunters to accompany these two heroes? Maybe a Witch Hunter warband so to speak?... minions with torches, stakes and crossbows, flaggies, a priest etc. very much in the same mould as the Mordheim unit perhaps, just with an AoS flavour... :?

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2021, 09:28:18 AM »
My copy of Cursed City arrived yesterday so like a giddy child on Christmas I have of course already dived in and put together the heroes and the big villains, I've just got all the skellies and zombies left to do. Only afterwards I realised I'll have to carefully dis-assemble them (they're push-fit) to be able to clean off the mould lines and eventually paint in sub-assemblies... :unsure:

Never Mind! :-P

I must admit, I was always dubious of the push-fit minis but I have to say, whoever designs the sprues for them must be pretty ingenious as they do go together quite nicely, they somehow seem able to have a slightly better dynamism than most other stuff? I dunno.

Downside however is of course the dreaded scale-creep. I'm working on my Empire artillery atm so had the (newer) metal mortar crew on my work table, the gunner comes to mid-chest on the Kislev-y looking noble guy with the pistol! :dry:

I'll have to compare them to the later Empire generals etc. that were always that bit bulkier themselves.

Maybe I should change my army to be Stirlanders, then it'll be ok for the rank and file to be tiny malnourished children alongside their giant noble overlords! :happy:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2021, 11:14:48 AM »
Yep, the size increase isn't convincing me. :icon_sad:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2021, 12:41:03 PM »
Just compared them to a few others. My noble Empire Captain, made using the plastic General on foot body, even with the snootiest of snooty expressions, head tilted backward looking down his nose in disgust at the world, stands roughly forehead to chin with the same Kislevvy pistol man (sure he has a name somewhere!). This is based on a level footing as well, bear in mind the 32mm bases are a couple of mm deeper than other bases too so my noble was elevated so both their feet were on a flat level with one another.

All in all they're just about passable amongst the latter generation taller Empire guys, I don't think anyone would notice in passing, the latter day heroes were increasing in size themselves anyway, but they do tend to make the older generation blokes look like bearded 12yr olds! :-P

So nothing new I guess :biggriin:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2021, 12:42:37 PM »
I will also settle on a way to host my pictures at some point so I can actually show the crap I bang on about... :dry:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2021, 11:48:54 AM »
Rumor has it that Games Workshop will not be selling Cursed City via website any further at this point.  The rumor continues with the idea that it will be available via gaming stores, but not direct order.

Not feeling as if I'm missing out.  Probably could get a copy via a store if I hunt one up.  However, my interest level has really tanked out, and I'm sticking with working on the other various projects that I am enjoying or looking forward to starting.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2021, 12:35:35 PM »
Ha, uh boy.  I have just heard this morning that stores are not going to be restocked with copies of Cursed City, and stores are supposably now offering refunds on the rumored 2nd wave of this release.  Seems like there's now going to be a good bit of disappointment by some.

If this is true, and ya stop and think about this, it is really a bit crazy.  How are they going to support a game that a person can't even purchase?  Something is clearly not working for them on this product, and GW has made their one off profit, and are moving along.  Although perhaps there will be a reprint someday, but not unless GW thinks they'll make more money off of that.

Can't get my hopes up on a product being available for purchase or for that matter the potential for rumored expansions, if this going to be a one off release, run and dumped.  Sorry GW, ya didn't get my dollars on this product, and so glad ya didn't.  Besides, those zombies carrying gravestones really do reduce the value of this product anyway for those interested in gaming with such miniatures outside the game itself.

Sense my mind saying "Goodnight Irene", except this is something really not worth killing one's self over.  May those who have a copy enjoy, and may those who don't, also enjoy what they do have and can obtain with the hobby anyway. :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2021, 12:57:49 PM »
And now I'm hearing that some local stores in the US haven't received their orders of this game at all.

Wow, what a mess if they never receive it ever, talk about hurting customers by not providing a retailer with their "pre-order". :icon_rolleyes:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2021, 01:04:30 PM »
There's no way I am ever pre-ordering a GW product.  Nope, not going to happen if they can't come through on all the marketing they crank out.

It's got to be a bummer for those who really looking forward to this, and may have it rough getting what they wanted.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2021, 01:17:43 PM »
Does seem to be a screw up for sure. No normal reason for such a good product to go sideways
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2021, 01:30:04 PM »
My understanding is that this product was originally intended for release last October.  My guess is they continued with the release anyway when they ran into the delays, and pumped it up to make sure it all sells, so they don't lose too much money, and perhaps at least break even, or make what profit they can before it all goes to the pot.  Meanwhile ... planning to already discontinue the line up of support for it anyway, and perhaps reprint it when they get back to having some sense of normality when it comes to delays.

For an independent retailer who doesn't receive their copies, best they can do is issue refunds to their customers on the so-called "pre-orders", and then get back to being creative on how to run their shops.  And beware of GW product pushes in the future, so as to reduce expectations from their customers as best they can.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2021, 01:56:06 PM »
Interestingly ... White Dwarf 463 has no mention of Cursed City.  Nada, nothing.  Usually a new product is featured when the product is released.

Also, there's got to be some sort of issue going on because even the Blackstone Fortress game is currently out of stock on the UK website, and the Ascension and Annual products for Blackstone Fortress are no longer listed on the site as well.

The US site does have Blackstone Fortress available, but even they don't have any other Warhammer Quest products being sold either.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 01:58:48 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2021, 04:45:00 PM »
Wow, didn't know any of this had occurred, feel kinda lucky to have got my set now even if it was just for the figures!

Maybe I'll hold onto the game boards etc. and see if they become some sort of sought after cult classic in the years to come!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2021, 05:59:10 PM »
its turned into a total shit show ya. Theyve announced now that it actually IS a limited run and sadly no one said so at any point leading up to it. If stores got their copies they might have some, but they cant even gurantee that stores got as many as they ordered.

Worryingly, its also not the first time GW has had this 'accident'.

Blackstone going out isn't hugely surprising. They have essentially phased out the previous warhammer quest when they introduce a new one. They did that with both Silver Tower and Hammerfall whatever, so them doing it with Blackstone isn't a shock. What IS a shock is that theyre phasing it out but not actually replacing it because of this screw up.

I was going to get a box but I'm not going out of my way for it. I dont do pre orders, I certainly dont do "rush its going so quick!" pre orders, and I'm not going to be hunting around ebay. Maybe I'll find a local store with it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2021, 09:37:56 PM »
From Warhammer Community on Twits no less ... and in a Grimdark voice I'm sure ... Moowah-hahahahaha ...

"Cursed City is sold out on gamesworkshop.com, and we are not expecting to return online. Many copies have been sent to local stores across the world.  PLease check with your local warhammer store or independent retailer to see if they can help".

Tada!  That's it at least for the moment as to any comment from GW.  Bada bing, bada boom, tishshshshshsh.