home

Author Topic: There will be no swedish comp for AoS (instead swedish 9th!)  (Read 2796 times)

Offline emcdunna

• Members
I emailed Erik from Swedish comp. This is what he said:

"""
The Swedish comp system group will not touch Age of Sigmar (at least not in its current state). In my opinion that game does not seem to be made for any type of competitive play at all.

Our plan is instead to create our own 9th edition "warhammer".
http://swfbr.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4494
""" end quote.

I am excited about this! I can't wait to see what these guys come up with :)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: There will be no swedish comp for AoS (instead swedish 9th!)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »
I always felt like Swedish was overly punitive towards Empire, which was not even a great book.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »
There is a thread about this some time now on UK forum: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=129642&start=0

Work on "the ninth age" (suggestions for better name?) is ongoing as we speak. Basically it will be an updated version of 8th warhammer. Pretty much like how 7th edition was an updated version of 6th.

Personally I believe the best chance of saving the type warhammer we love is community driven rulebook and armybooks. If done right, such project could give us precisely what we have always wished for GW to be (writing competitive game, balance updates, writers that are in touch with the community etc).

It such project is to have any chance of success, we need a large player base, thus we want to maximise the number of people transiting to this. We therefore strive to create a version of warhammer that is close enough to 8th for people to still see it as warhammer and be able to pick it up and try it out without too much rules reading beforehand. But we still want to add some new stuff, both to create something to get people exited about trying it out, but also for improving the game.

So,
1. Rewriting rules for broken parts of the game, keeping the parts that works and changing the parts that do not
2. Small updates to rules with minor issues
3. New lores (keep some spells, around 30-40% new spells for each lore, updates to attributes, casting values etc where needed)
4. New magic items (both common and race specific, again keep some, add some new stuff)
5. New points costs for very strong/weak units (maybe rules changes in a few cases)
6. Possibly add new unit entries to match new models released for AoS.

Eventually we want to have an international committee, with representation from various communities, for deciding on all updates, rules changes, maybe even create new armybooks. Creating such committee would take time however (especially with most community representatives preparing for ETC at the moment), and releasing this soon seem important if we are to not lose to many players. On top of this, larger groups tend to work slower, so again creating a committee at this time is not optimal. We therefore intend to get the ball rolling and ASAP publish an alpha-version including points 1-5 (probably only points changes to the most imbalanced units in this version). Goal is to get this out before ETC (beginning of August), with a few sneak-peak pre-releases of some stuff during the next few weeks to get some hype going and show that works being done. If alpha-version is received well, we can then start to gather a committee and with this create a beta version based on feedback on the alpha version.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 08:23:29 PM »
I think they need to go with "Swedish 9th", it's what everyone is gonna call it anyway, and we'll all easily know what it is.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 08:24:03 PM »
Will it have fishmen? That's all I want to know.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:36:23 PM »
It can't. It would kill a gag that's been running for most of my life.

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 08:43:28 PM »
Best whfb related news in quite a while  :eusa_clap:
Archaon, The Everchosen, is one of two openly homosexual special characters in the world of warhammer. The other, of course, is Queek Headtaker.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 01:22:57 AM »
It will be a modified 8th, with mostly new spells, magical equipment, and points costs, while keeping 75% of everything the same.

Erik said it should be an update similar to how 7th was an update to 6th ed.

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 07:18:10 AM »
It will be a modified 8th, with mostly new spells, magical equipment, and points costs, while keeping 75% of everything the same.

Erik said it should be an update similar to how 7th was an update to 6th ed.
Well then again, those are the only things that really need change.
Some spells need to be toned down and some made a bit better. I would also love to see more diverse magic gear, so magical lances, bows, etc. instead of just "Sword of +1S" "Sword of +2S" "Sword of +3S".
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:20:37 AM by Jomppexx »
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 04:03:11 PM »
I'd also really like it if the weapons cost different amounts depending on whether it's a hero or lord buying it.
Like the ogre blade is more useful on a vampire lord than on a vampire, so maybe it's points cost should be like:
40/30 (so 40 for lords, 30 for heroes)

Also the same thing for talismans and magic armor

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 04:22:10 PM »
I'd also really like it if the weapons cost different amounts depending on whether it's a hero or lord buying it.
Like the ogre blade is more useful on a vampire lord than on a vampire, so maybe it's points cost should be like:
40/30 (so 40 for lords, 30 for heroes)

Also the same thing for talismans and magic armor
Mhhh... Has some potential I guess.
But if we start considering effectiveness we would need to balance the points for all races too. If you give a grandmaster the ogre blade is it as good as giving it to a Chaos Lord? Or even to an arch lector?

I don't think the item costs matter so much right now, there are more urgent matters. Like magic, point costs, etc.
Also, why can't Empire Captains take Halberds? Even Dark Elf Dreadlords have access to halberds.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »
Yes, sure, you are probably right. Lets not fret over the small things.

One thing I would definitely like (from simply a no brainer, just for fun and fluff reasons) for any/all characters in an army to have a common mount selection.

For empire:
griffin, demigryph, warhorse, pegasus.

This would allow you to take a warrior priest on pegasus if you really wanted to, or a captain on a griffin, or a grand master on demigryph...

As long as every army gets the same thing, why not? And of course making some exceptions where necessary (Warlock engineers should not be able to ride a screaming bell... or should they? IDK).