home

Author Topic: Hobbying in a Storage Unit ...  (Read 11514 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Hobbying in a Storage Unit ...
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2019, 07:29:15 PM »
Excellent headway.
I understand your look at the hobby side like you have been. It may seem crazy but I was listening to a therapist the other day talking about his addiction to owning cd’s. His conclusion was that there are harmful addictions and passive ones. Are you causing anyone undo hardship because of your collection. Going into uncontrollable financial issues because of it?  Causing health issues to yourself or family?
If none of the above apply and it brings pleasure of sorts, then there is no reason for concern. Of course I’m no professional, am not saying you are addicted, and this fully justifies my outlook (😺), so continue till you don’t feel like it anymore!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2019, 08:01:24 PM »
My back hurts from sitting too long this evening trying to write the next installment of my campaign account. So, my hobby does cause me pain.

That's it, it stops now! Although ... I might as well finish this story off first!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2019, 08:31:44 PM »
Excellent headway.
Thanks!

I understand your look at the hobby side like you have been. It may seem crazy but I was listening to a therapist the other day talking about his addiction to owning cd’s. His conclusion was that there are harmful addictions and passive ones.
Some value here!  Harm is probably another one of those relative things.  There are times when I've spent more than wise because some figures looked lovely, and I had ideas for wonderful gaming.  I get inspired by articles as well, and then when seeing figures that match what I'd love to be doing, then I buy them.

Are you causing anyone undo hardship because of your collection?
Nope.  The only thing I can think of is if not paying attention to relationships, yet a balanced life, although not easy to achieve, is possible.

Going into uncontrollable financial issues because of it?
Thankfully not, although some of the spending at times has been more than wise.  I'm much better about it these days, and my income has increased, and the latter makes both less of an issue.

Causing health issues to yourself or family?
Definitely not.

If none of the above apply and it brings pleasure of sorts, then there is no reason for concern. Of course I’m no professional, am not saying you are addicted, and this fully justifies my outlook (😺), so continue till you don’t feel like it anymore!
Not sure I'm addicted to much.  There are probably those who'd say I'm in denial regarding these miniatures, but it is more the quantity of unfinished projects that I'm most concerned about, and want to get to them all.  Or else decide which ones to let go of accordingly.  Can't recall ever thinking about the latter before this past weekend, although I'm thinking this is probably healthy to at least be entertaining the idea.  But we'll see.

My back hurts from sitting too long this evening trying to write the next installment of my campaign account. So, my hobby does cause me pain.

That's it, it stops now! Although ... I might as well finish this story off first!
No back problems from this yet.  My back problems seem to stem more from aging, a compression of the back over time as I shrink in height.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2019, 12:39:36 AM »
8th weekend in a row ... got the 4th and final shelving unit up.

Discovered I might have underestimated the amount of space needed for the terrain ... lol.

I now have four 3' long by 18" inches deep shelving units with five shelves each, the shelf units are 6' high.  On the far left I have about 2' space at the end of the row of shelves where I've put a bunch of unused foam blocks and pieces that are also next to the shelf unit with the terrain.  Then followed by two shelving units of historicals, and then one of fantasy & sci fi.  The remaining space next to the last shelving unit currently has empty boxes, that will eventually be stored under the gaming table, and two small drawer units stacked on top of each other, for I'm not sure what yet, and the 5 foot tall curio cabinet for some finished figures.  Thus most of the metal wall is blocked and it feels less like a storage unit as a result, and more like a cellar.

I also placed my Victorian era sofa at the far end of the room from the door, and under the window.  This leaves a lot of space for a gaming table.  The initial table will be 5' x 6', and I'll place a work bench at one end that could make the table 7' 6" long.  Won't probably take much to turn this into a 5' x 10' table area for larger gaming if desired.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:18:03 AM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2019, 10:18:15 AM »
Also ...

While the curio cabinet is on one side of the door, my grandmothers solid wooden hutch is on the other, which not sure how I'm going to use that yet, except it does have the top half with see through doors so maybe things I want to see, like more miniatures.  Got an old iron, low, shelving unit with three shelves that I'm going to use for books, rules, magazines and such and place it either near the hutch, or all the way down the wall near the sofa.  My three home made 2' x 4' game boards are being stored upright next to the sofa with room for 2 or 3 more, if and when I make what is planned.  Most of the brick wall that has been there since the mill building was built in the 1800s will be seen, and it gives good flavor to the atmosphere.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »
If there is any way to take a picture of this when your done please do. It sounds awesome. That brick wall clinched the deal for me. This will truly be an enviable space. If you belong to lead adventure , the is a thread for hobby rooms and workplaces and that would be an ideal showplace for this as well.

Also, the iron shelf unit. If that could be arms length from the couch without being to obstructive, that would be a great place to reach for, lie back and read.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2019, 11:07:16 AM »
I've taken some pictures early on when this was just starting.  Was going to take pictures yesterday, but it was the end of the day and would need to have more light in the space.  At some point I'll take some more pictures, and when I figure out what I am going to do for posting them, then I'll get some up.

On the low iron shelf unit, I was considering the same thing.  When I stopped last night, there was still a pile of boxes with terrain and stuff in front of the sofa, the work bench was up against the iron shelf unit, and half of my 5'x6' table was lying around in parts ready for construction.  There was also a slew of miniatures I'd been slowly laying out on the floor as I uncovered more from various spots and needing to figure out how to include them on the shelves for easy access, probably get more plastic bins.

It makes for an interesting picture at this point, so maybe there will be enough light next weekend to take a few more.  Eventually there will be an "after" its all done photo too.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2019, 12:14:00 AM »
Well only half an hour in the storage unit today.  Brought in 4 plastic bins for organizing.  Found out the electric outlet in the hall isn't working, which is big bummer.  Couldn't get enough light into the storage unit for constructing the table parts, and couldn't charge one of the two batteries for my drill and screwing tool. Moved the boxes from the center of the room to construct the table, but my overall effort seemed stymied, and I lost a bit of motivation this time.  9 weeks in a row, but this time just barely.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »
Grrrrr...... that plug is a major bummer. I had not thought of a no power issue. Is there a way the landlord can activate this or maybe put a plug in the unit?
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2019, 12:14:39 PM »
I checked another plug down the hall, and it didn't work either.  Looks like  they have these turned off on purpose, and not available to the public.  Charging the drill batteries at home.  Not sure what I'm going to do about power, if anything.  Might have to play games only during the day when there is light available from the window.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »
Well ... as it turns out, the charger isn't working.  Which now I'm not sure if the outlets work in the storage area or not.  Will have to check it out.

In the meantime, brought the second half of the 5x6 table into the storage unit this past weekend, some more figures found at my place when cleaning things out (including some older yummy GW Empire figures, some magazines, and some storage items for organizing the magazines.

That makes 10 weekends in a row doing something related to this hobby storage unit. :::cheers:::

Although this upcoming weekend probably not.  Expecting to travel to Fall-In! 2019 down in Valley Forge PA for some hobby gaming and maybe a wee bit of buying as well.  Haven't been to one of these in the PA area since Cold Wars 2016, almost 4 years, and so it is about time!  :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:54:47 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2019, 08:48:20 PM »
 :::cheers::: Here’s to hoping there’s power in those outlets!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2019, 08:55:39 PM »
I hear ya.  Forgot to bring something with me when i was going there this past time.  That wasn't brilliant. :icon_lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2019, 02:06:18 PM »
Well didn't get into the storage unit this past weekend, and so the streak ends at 10 weekends in a row.  Maybe I'll start up a new streak, but with the holidays coming, that could get tricky currently.

My trip to Fall-In! 2019 went ok.  I'll save my gaming for another thread, but had fun with them.  Did some shopping at the vendor area and in the hobby style flea market, but didn't buy much.  Picked up a foreign movie called "Il Mestiere Delle Armi", about the fighting between the landsknechts under Von Frundsberg and the Papal army led by Giovanni Medici.  Bought a copy of the Impetus Supplement 3, a building and set of walls by Miniature Building Authority, and a box of Perry Confederates, all from the Vendor Hall.  Flea market saw me getting two old issues of Wargamers Digest, a halfling, and a bunch of 40mm AWI figures with inf at a buck a piece and cavalry at 2 bucks each (a real steal for my collection).

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »
10 weeks was a pretty good run all the same. Definitely want to hear about your gaming and for some reason I want to build a lot of walls and there are some plastic moulds for rock cuts in the local train store. Would like to try them with quickset drywall compound and see what happens. Also Padre’s use of aquarium stone and pvc has me captivated for walls. Lots and lots of walls.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »
Recent gaming located here ...  http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52917.25

Need to solve building the tables next.  Got to have space to work on, as well as eventually do some gaming.  I'm eyeing my Forgotten Worlds figures, some Wars of the Roses figures, and maybe even some fantasy figures.  So many projects, and even if I just list them from a big picture perspective, then I can start prioritizing them.  Scenery projects are a plenty as well, which I need to start doing some of those for expanding my gaming options.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2019, 02:43:46 PM »
By the way, noticed I'm missing some figures.  Haven't located my 40K Orks yet, and that is a bit disconcerting.  So I've got more things to locate beyond what might still be in a box or two for sorting at the storage unit, which I believe is mostly terrain and supplies.

My sense is I need to still put a focus on getting things to happen at the storage unit, even if only a couple hours per week.  It is a little bit at a time, but this has been adding up, and will continue to do so moving forward if I keep a focus on it.  The goal is to get things in a spot where I can more effectively participate with the hobby.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »
40k without orks isn’t 40k. Not sure what it is exactly without them......
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »
Quote GP: My sense is I need to still put a focus on getting things to happen at the storage unit, even if only a couple hours per week.  It is a little bit at a time, but this has been adding up, and will continue to do so moving forward if I keep a focus on it.  The goal is to get things in a spot where I can more effectively participate with the hobby.

Agree. Even a little time devoted gets the dopamine stirring. Knowing that maybe there isn’t time to fully commit a day or two but still taking the time to look and regroup your thoughts can be just as satisfying I think.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »
When I was younger, I would have gone in for a day or two or three or more and got it all done.  Or delayed until I could do that.  There just isn't time for the former, too many other things in life that also need getting done in parallel, and delaying gets little if anything accomplished which has gotten me to where I was at before this project started.  A little bit at a time, a couple hours a week, and progress is happening.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2020, 06:17:50 PM »
With me getting a new place with more space, storage and other = a hobby room, will probably be closing the storage hobby unit.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2020, 06:37:02 PM »
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2020, 08:22:25 PM »
Yep, and it has been quite the experience getting everything moved to it and organized, but no sense in paying double, at least not for long.  Such a great spot for a hobby storage unit, but life moves on.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2020, 09:16:43 PM »
Also much easier to keep a handle on the hobby.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2020, 11:05:57 PM »
Just imagine your storage unit popping up on those tv shows where they auction off the unknown contents of abandoned storage units. Hobby bonanza!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.