home

Author Topic: Help finding warhound / dog miniatures  (Read 14650 times)

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
Help finding warhound / dog miniatures
« on: April 12, 2004, 08:34:37 PM »
Hello all.

I am having a problem finding 25mm or 28mm miniatures of warhounds or dogs in general.  I know that GW produces warhounds for Mordheim (too goofy-looking), as well as plastic wolves (too cartoony and out-of-scale).  I am not interested in these unless I can find no other options, and I am also not interested in greenstuff sculpting.   Worst-case I will do so, but I'd rather not due to time constraints.

I see that Foundry has 1 or 2 dogs in their Viking range that would be perfect, but I don't feel like buying a pack of 8 Vikings just to get one dog (they don't sell individual models).

There used to be a company called Harlequin Miniatures that sold a terrific set of a Celt dog-handler with 3 Irish wolfhounds.  This would be spot-on perfect, but they are no longer produced.

Can anyone steer me toward a source of reasonably priced 28mm dogs, preferably looking like Irish wolfhounds, though any appropriate warhound breed would be good?  I need 6, but more would be great.  Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Marcus

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 08:53:34 PM »
Marcus I don't have a link ready.  But go to the GWUK page and look up the Dark Elf Archive warhounds.

-Grutch

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 08:54:16 PM »
Black Tree designs took over harlequin production lines, so everything that Hrlequin was producing should still be available from them Go here: http://www.black-tree-design.com/main.php?ctry=us&lng=gb&section=home

The following are available from www.Discounthobby.com:

They are WAR DOGS WITH MASTER ( RAF 4047 ) and the link is http://www.discounthobby.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DIS&Product_Code=2583

Good luck!

Offline Lord Potsmasher

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 09:05:37 PM »
Dosn't GW make a Hunting Hound model for the Meddenheim list, published in a WD a bit ago??

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 02:27:13 PM »
Thanks for the assistance!  

I contacted the rep. for Black Tree (Harlequin) and the particular models I want are out of production.  I'll keep an eye to ebay I guess.  The GW-UK site is sputtering along right now.  Makes the US site look like a rolls royce.  I'll check out that alternate dog handler and dogs.

The Middenheim dogs are the Mordheim warhound models.

Marcus

Offline Jivaine SkyWing

• Members
warhounds
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 05:29:21 PM »
How many do you need, and what do you have to trade for them?  I have about 10 of them.

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 06:32:15 PM »
@ Jivaine SkyWing:  You're referring to the Harlequin Kelt Dog Handler that came with 3 Irish wolfhounds and you have 10 of those hounds?  If that's the case, I'd be happy to buy or trade for all 10 hound models.  Send me an email and we can come up with a trade or purchase price.

Offline Jivaine SkyWing

• Members
war hounds,
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 06:45:40 PM »
No, I am referring to the mordheim dogs, or war hounds that come with the witch hunter box set.  I have 10 of those.

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 06:57:43 PM »
Thanks, but I'm trying to avoid the Mordheim dogs.  I already have 3 of them, and I managed to find someone who has the Kelt wolfhounds I'm looking for (3 of them) and we've arranged a trade, and I found someone else who has 2 but I have yet to hear back.  I think this'll work out.  

I also found 4 war dogs with handler from Iron Wind's old Ral Partha line that would work.  Thanks again for your help.

Offline EC.Sylvania

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 07:14:33 PM »
Wasn't there an old Dark Elf warhound model (or two)? Maybe a search in the archive section might turn up something. I think the unit was sort of a proto-beastmaster called a Whelp Master.

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
Well
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 07:19:47 PM »
What do you want the dogs for?
How are you going to use them? Or is it just for show?
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 07:31:39 PM »
Shavixmir, I have 2 uses in mind.  The first was as embellishment for my huntsmen.  I currently use halflings as my huntsmen, and will likely continue doing so, but I also wanted to make a few human huntsmen, but they would be accompanied by hunting dogs.  This is basically for looks.  The Harlequin dogs are the most well-proportioned dogs I've seen.

The second use is for my Suebi Germanic army.  I can take packs of warhounds with a handler, and I think it'd be a good surprise for my friend's Imperial Romans.  Since it'll be for an historic miniatures army, I want the dogs to be as accurate as possible in scale.

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 07:45:41 PM »
Pygmy I'm doing a search here on these forums because a few months ago I posted the specific links to the dark elf archive warhound.  Still searching..

Since we're on this note.  I find it frustrating that GW makes some good models then doesnt address some real issues with their line.  

#1. Heavy Cavalry Horse- We have had to deal with this piece of shit for over 10 years now.  Why can't they come up with a new horse sprue?  I would gladly pay extra for different horse models.  They could eventually phase out their old horse models and include a new better cast model.  

#2. Light Horse- I have the same feelings for this model when will they put it down and come up with some new horse models?

#3. Wolf hounds-  I think new Wolfhounds are in order.  They could be used for the Middenheim list, Dire wolves, Space Wolf Fenrisian wolves, etc.  But GW likes to point the finger at their crappy goblin wolf hound and say "Hey you can use this cartoon monstrosity".  This could be EASILY remedied by reproducing the metal Fenrisian wolves that came with the OOP Leman Russ model.  I would gladly buy them off the GW mail order site if they made them available.  

#4. FootKnight Sprue:  I think they should come up with a sprue that could be used for Greatswords, Reiksguard Footknights, Conversions for EC or Captains on Foot, etc.  This could work for Dogs of War, or Mordheim models!  A VC general might want to buy it to include some rusty converted Grave Guard!

okay enough ranting.. Im off to lunch.  I'll dig up that link for you when I return.

-Grutch

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 08:10:37 PM »
Grutch, I believe these are the hounds to which you are referring.

http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm73dehounds.htm

They're pretty similar to the Mordheim ones, but at least a little better (can anyone explain why one of the Mordheim hounds looks like it has a ring through the side of it's face?!  Ridiculous.)

The problem is the GW site is outrageously slow.  I think I'd be better off just emailing the image and product code to GW, or calling them about it.  It's just so frustrating that I almost don't even want to bother with them.

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 08:19:39 PM »
Those are the ones pygmy.  Unfortunately they are not wolfhoundish.   They are more like rots or mastiffs which isnt what youre really looking for.  

Recently I sold an old Leman Russ model (probably 7-10 years old) still in it's blister on ebay.  Now I'm kicking myself because I know I'll miss the two metal Fenrisian wolves he came with.  These are perfect models for what you're looking for.  I wonder why GW ceased production on them.  

Just thinking about this increases my blood pressure.  The design team introduces hunting hounds for our Middenheim list but the only thing we can use out of the current line are goblin wolves, mordheim cartoon pit bulls or Orions anorexic wolfhounds (I bought 5 of the skinny useless bastards).

I hate you GW! I really really do!

-Grutch

Offline Mad Ulric

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 10:10:00 PM »
Alternative-armies.com do wolfhounds.  two per pack, in their irish fantasy range.  Whether you like them or not is a different matter.

Offline FlameKnight

• Members
  • in your base, killing your dudes
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004, 10:54:57 AM »
I've just found your answer! Games Workshop US mail order spotlight has 5 "Orions Hounds" Available for $15 US. Mail order spotlight things only last for a few days you should make your choice quickly.

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/exclusives.asp#17845

Offline CM Dante

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2004, 11:27:17 AM »
Someone call the RSPCA! From the looks of it, Orion doesn't take very good care of his pets!
No wonder they look angry!

Cheers,

Dante

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2004, 03:39:15 PM »
Lots of good links, thanks everyone!  The wolfhounds Mad Ulric mentioned are very close to what I'm looking for:

http://www.flintloque.com/acatalog/ALTERNATIVE_ARMIES_ERIN___MONSTERS__GODS_and_OTHER_THINGS_121.html

The only problem is that the one on the left looks like he just took a pee on the sofa and got hit by a rolled up newspaper.  The one on the right looks about right.  $4 for 2 dogs seems about right (sans shipping).  When I finally get my hands on the hounds I'm searching for I'll post a pic to draw closure to this epic.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/irishwolfhound.htm

Offline Mad Ulric

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2004, 07:54:36 PM »
Alternative armies;  You could try asking for just the one type of dog that hasn't just peed.  For £1 a figure they are good value.  Not certain if there is a supplier in the states.????  They MIGHT be prepared to send the one type.???  I'll ask them and report back. After all you need them house trained.!!!!!! :D

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2004, 02:28:46 PM »
The pic of the dogs I was looking for (and have found) are located here:

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32069#32069

Offline Everard

• Members
Re: Help finding warhound / dog miniatures
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 07:54:37 PM »
Check this out, it's what I use for Mordheim Hounds

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=5501

Offline Cal1989

• Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/Cal1989
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 09:48:57 PM »
'The extent of a Man's wisdom and goodness will bring him fame, and even death will not extinguish his memory nor his glory, beauty or youth or whatever else'. - Giles of Paris

Offline Kallstrom

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
Hopefully he has found some dogs since the 10 years he posted this thread.. ;)
"A leader that leads from the rear takes it in the rear!"

Offline infamousme

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 01:29:05 PM »
Hopefully he has found some dogs since the 10 years he posted this thread.. ;)

I was just about to make a very similar post. I had been reading the thread not realising How old it was at the beginning of the thread.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2