home

Author Topic: The Houndmaster's Lustrian Empire Army  (Read 5869 times)

Offline TheHoundmaster

• Members
The Houndmaster's Lustrian Empire Army
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
 :ph34r: I'm back!

So, first things first I want to apologize to JAK for not fulfilling my end of the last Pleasant Surprise. I had gotten together a set of these Wargames Foundry Baluchi Swordsmen (pictured at the bottom) to be used as Klatchian D'regs, along with some miniature animals to be driven before them, for his Discworld Army. At the time that they came in I was absolutely slammed with some academic and real life issues. I simply couldn't get around to it. I still have the models, and hopefully I will get them painted up soon, but its going to take a while as I am moving at the end of May. Again, I apologize to JAK and the rest of you pleasant surprisers.

Now then, here is what I have had time to do in the last few months.

First up my Lustrian Swordsmen first rank.

The unit Champion

The Musician

The Standard Bearer

Two Swordsmen.

Here is the first of my Lustrian Knights to be completed. I'm not sure if I'll run these as Reiksguard, IC Knights, or regular Knightly Orders.

Mordheim Freelance Knight, still needs a shield.

These are before I finished the base

This is the second one. The model itself is done, but there are some bits that need to get painted such as the scroll, bag, and skull on the ground.

This blurry thing is a captain.

Over my Spring Break I actually got some Flagellants done for a little compitition at my local GW. Here are my Jungle Mad Men. I don't like the basing, will have to re-do those. I'm really proud of the fire.

Close up of the Prophet of Doom

Got this idea from Rope's Lustrian Empire Army. Trophy Stegadon skull on a Helblaster. Needs another coat of bone paint and wash I think.

My big project lately is my Luminark on a Stegadon. The stegadon itself was a $20 eBay rescue and didn't have any horns. Also the howdah was pretty messed up. I think I did a pretty good job fixing it up.

Currently I'm working on the lenses for the firing array. This is what I've settled on thus far.

This is the test model for my Greatswords. I love how it came out, can't wait to do more.

As I figured a holy War Altar of Sigmar would never be put on such a beast, I decided they would at least be drawn by these. Really old cold ones, and a Vampire Counts harness.

This is the blue-tac mock up for my Luminark before I got the eBay rescue. This stegadon will be going to a hurricanum.

On the "To Build" list I have:

The old and new Marco Columbo for generals or just for fun, some Voland's Venetors (such cool figures, love the helmets) and old metal Reiksguard to ride the Cold Ones as either Reiksguard, IC Knights, etc. I have some Bird Men of Catrazza that I would love to turn into pistoliers as I've seen here on the site. I still need to get a Bastilidon to work as my Steam Tank and a Carnasaur to be my Karl Franz on Deathclaw. I'll be snagging a Terradon as a Captain on a Pegasus, and the Slann Mage floating platform for a wizard lord.

Here are those Baluchi Swordsmen for JAK

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:19:59 PM by TheHoundmaster »
"What I like best about a siege is that there is nowhere for them to run..."
+++ Witch-hunter Zacharia Schmundt +++

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Re: The Houndmaster's Lustrian Empire Army
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »
Yay! The Houndmaster is back! I was worried about you, mate! So glad to see you here - and those models all look fantastic!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Bishmeister

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
Fantastic concept, love the steg.
Follow me on Twitter @Bishmeister1

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:57:50 PM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:06:18 PM »
Great stuff so far. Looking forward to seeing the big gribblies finished pal!
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »
Welcome back Houndsmaster, it’s good to know you’re alive and kicking and that nothing too serious had taken you out of circulation.

While it’s disappointing not to receive a Pleasant Surprise it’s good to know that it is not due to it being lost in the post etc. I was gutted last year when I didn’t receive Captain Schweinreiger’s special creation but this cannot have been half as bad as he felt when his hard work was returned to him by the PO destroyed beyond repair.

I don’t know if you are a Discworld fan, but thank you for taking the time to do the research into my obscure project. For the uninitiated D’regs are a warlike Arab like desert tribe who when they attack so does the whole tribe – women, children, camels, goats, sheep, chicken and the men. I also like your choice of figures, Arab like but sufficiently different to be Discworld Arabs.

I have rules adapted from GW’s Al Muktar's Desert Dogs for a D’reg cavalry unit but cannot afford the price these figures go for (and too many projects to think about converting such a unit) – perhaps an idea for a future Pleasant Surpriser - or some French Klatchian Foreign Legion with cross bows instead of rifles to complement them.)

Offline TheHoundmaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 05:41:54 PM »
Thanks Darknight, I only wish I was coming back under better circumstances! I'll try and get some things done, but its just a hectic time of life for me in the next few months.

Bishmeister, thank you so very much. I shouldn't tell you how much I swelled with pride to hear that from you, but its out there. I truly admire you work, keep it up!

b0007452, I hope to have them done within the year. At least the two stegadons and possibly the war altar. They take forever to finish because I like to have every single detail painted before I assemble it. And those bloody Luminark lenses take ages for each one.

I don’t know if you are a Discworld fan...

If they weren't in boxes I would take a picture of my Wall of Pratchett. I am a HUGE Discworld fan, and getting you for the pleasant surprise was a dream come true! I still have so many ideas, like the D'regs, 71-hour-Ahmed using a Kislevite with the bald head, The Monsterous Regiment with Jackrum of course, Leonard of Quirm, B.S. Johnson engineer, Foul Ole Ron and the rest of the Canting Crew (especially the Duck Man and Gaspode) as fanatics or Free Company, Harry King, Hodgesaargh, Mr. Slant, Moist von Lipwig in golden plate riding away, some Pictsies causing trouble, or some nasty little goblins. Your version of The Quite Reverend Mightily-Praiseworthy-Are-Ye-Who-Exalteth-Om Oates is still in my top 10 models of all time. Seeing the things you have done with conversions using GW and non-GW parts was one of the things that inspired me to finally jump headfirst into this Lustrian army. Your army, along with Chumley's, Bishmeister's, and Steveb's, is something that I have always dreamed of seeing in person.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 03:36:08 PM »
It’s good to do something slightly different and you’ve made a good start with the Lustrian theme which I hope will give you the encouragement to keep going despite what life is throwing at you at the moment.

I found Discworld great for ideas as war and armies, while mentioned, are not really described so there is a lot of freedom with imagination. (Although if I ever finish this army I’ll have to do a Cathay one based on Interesting Times)

The trouble with ideas is that they take time to put into practice, as I’ve said in the monthly motivation thread I’ve 12 projects ready to build plus a lot more still in the planning stage and they don’t include all you mentioned, so there’s a long way to go.

Hodgesaargh is included in with the Lancre Morris and I do have a sheep for the Feegles (can I get away with 5 bases of knee high grass and a floating sheep). Clarecraft, now defunct, made many of the Fresh Start Club which I intend use with other prominent citizens, like Dibbler & the Canting Crew, as a (counts as) zombie hoard. I’ve not even thought about recent books but Moist with a couple of trucks from the Dwarf miners pack and Mr Simnal’s help in some form of steam transport will beckon in the future as I expect will the general SteamPunk concept if we are fortunate to have more books, but hopefully still without guns or blackpowder weapons. 

Offline TheHoundmaster

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 08:09:28 PM »
Here is whats on the table today. Going to attempt to finish up the front of the howdah before going on to more of the firing array lenses. I'm tossing around ideas of how to make the firing array look more Lustrian. Im thinking a good bit of gold, emerald, and turquoise gems.

Offline TheHoundmaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 04:52:03 PM »
How about an OOP Limited Edition Wizard in Blue?

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 04:57:51 PM »
Crappy model - excellent painting!
In case you have not noticed: some of your pictures above have disappeared.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:01:48 AM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline harv

• Members
  • success from discipline, productivity from panic
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »
I normally hate miniatures that have special effects like fire, magic or blood but your painting has made me really like that miniature, he looks great  :::cheers:::
My "house rule" for AoS is "we're not playing that shit in my house!"

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 03:41:56 PM »
do not forget the amazon tribes, the natives of the mountain country inca/mayan equivalents, the pygmies just for fun and mystery.  You could come up with a Gaucho type light cavalry,  Or maybe some fanatic religous orders who have set up missions to bring the light of sigmar to Lustria.  There are mountains in Lustria, where there are mountains there are dwarves.  Many shipwrecks at the southern end of lustria equals ship wrecker, stranded crews, and poosible pirates read as mercenaries. 

so far yoou have done a very good job of creating a lustrian force, just open the doors of your mind and let the ideas flow.  steveb