home

Author Topic: Interesting spray technique, advice please?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline arselus

• Members
Interesting spray technique, advice please?
« on: March 01, 2010, 03:43:48 AM »
So I was just checking some stuff on ebay, and I found this wood elf army lot being sold. The very last picture in the collection shows a unit of archers. I am wondering, does anyone know how the painter got this look for them? To me it looks like they were undercoated black, and then highlighted by a white, angled and distant spray can of white paint. What do you guys think? If that is the case then I might do this to my huntsmen while they wait to be painted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Warhammer-Wood-elves-Army_W0QQitemZ290405950080QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item439d8b2280

Offline Nicholas Ironfist

• Members
  • Witch Hunter Extraordinaire, Count of Sylvania.
Re: Interesting spray technique, advice please?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:35:59 AM »
Given that one model is pure white I would guess it's a white undercoat with a badab black wash? Just a guess though. I do this because it brings out the details rather than a black undercoat that hides the details(old eyes :icon_wink: )
Care not for the judgement of others, but go forth and do as you see fit.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:26:23 AM »
Definitely white with a black wash. Look at their bases, they are pure white and you can where the wash pooled around their feet. If you look closely at some of their hoods you can also see the gradient effect the wash has on them.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Chambo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:34:37 AM »
Given that one model is pure white I would guess it's a white undercoat with a badab black wash? Just a guess though. I do this because it brings out the details rather than a black undercoat that hides the details(old eyes :icon_wink: )

That is what it looks like to me too. I do this with my models as it does give instant shading and makes picking out details easier, it also looks good leaving the undercoat showing through in places because the model is already shaded.
Be professional, be polite but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.