home

Author Topic: randomized unit choices  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
randomized unit choices
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:24:40 PM »
Since there are no point values, I wonder how well the game would lend itself to a random army? You and your friends could say we're bringing X amount of warscrolls or models each. You could even decide okay, you can take between 1 and X warmachines, 1 and X monsters, X characters, and 1 and X troops. Then you randomly pick from warscrolls in those categories. Would be an interesting way to shake things up and get some kind of balance.

We kind of used to do that in historical games.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
Re: randomized unit choices
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 07:10:45 PM »
Honestly that's better than any of the other balancing attempts I've seen.

I still say you're better off just playing something else, but if you insist on playing AoS that's probably how I'd do it.

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:15:35 PM »
I think AoS is trying to move away from 'points' and 'balance' and more about playing the models you want.  There are no lists, no points is the way they are going.  What I think you are going to see are gun lines with a few flying monsters.  The age of shooting (especially cannons) will be the dominating force IMO.

But, the rules are fairly loose so go ahead and put on the table what you want to.

Ambrose
"Faith, Steel and Gunpowder"

Offline Philhelm

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 09:44:04 PM »
I think AoS is trying to move away from 'points' and 'balance' and more about playing the models you want.

If the goal is that we can now field any models we like, then having no system of balance is counterproductive, particularly for players who like to field core units or weaker races, such as Goblins.  With a points system in place a player can field the models he likes, even if they are weaker, and still have a reasonable chance of victory due to having more models on the table.

In Age of Sigmar, a player can now collect a Goblin-sized horde of Chaos Warriors and field them all, which means that an actual horde of Goblins will have no real chance of victory.  To an even greater degree, the game will reward players fielding elite units.

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »
I think the game will favour shooting units more than the old elite units.  I think the Empire's gun line will make a return and be way overpowered (If I'm ready the cannon rules right).

I guess what I was trying to say is that the 'feeling' or 'game style' that GW is trying with AoS is for people to collect their (GW's) models and be able to use them in a quick and fun game.  Nothing too serious, just a fun game throwing dice around.  That is IF you want to use your model for something other than collecting, painting and shelving.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:05:20 PM »
Is shooting any good? Is it better or worse than it was in 8th edition?

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:19:15 PM »
Much better. 360 degree arc of fire, with no penalties, and you can shoot in combat and into combat.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 12:03:12 AM »
And our artillery is crazy powerful IMO.  Cannons with a full crew get 2 hits, causing d6 wounds each.  Mortars don't have to see their targets at all.
Anyone who is going to play AoS and got rid of their artillery during 8th may regret it a bit.

Ambrose

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 12:12:50 AM »
Anyone who is going to play AoS and got rid of their artillery during 8th may regret it a bit.

I made it more accurate  :biggriin:

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »
 :::cheers:::

I made it more accurate  :biggriin:

Offline Dotification

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »
It's weird to see the mortar & maybe even the Helblaster Rocket Battery viable compared to straight cannon spam.  Also the handgunners & xbows & freikorps militia* + war machines being able to re-position will be nice.

*their missile weapons being 14" 5+ to Hit seem like a good chance to use the muskets(?) w/ rolled-up sleeves that come on their sprues.  I bet those + the bandana'd heads will give a nice pirate/mariner look for the unit name-dropped for Nordland in the Heraldry & Uniforms of the Empire book.

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 01:10:46 PM »
And our artillery is crazy powerful IMO.  Cannons with a full crew get 2 hits, causing d6 wounds each.  Mortars don't have to see their targets at all.
Depends. Since the current "comp" is bring 10-15 Warscrolls each then other units with which warmachine competes for a spot have 20+ wounds. If limit for wounds per Warscroll is lifted to 40+ then Warmachines become inferior.
And don't forget enemy can shoot your crew and cripple the warmachine.

Offline Ambrose

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 02:20:54 PM »
Depends. Since the current "comp" is bring 10-15 Warscrolls each then other units with which warmachine competes for a spot have 20+ wounds. If limit for wounds per Warscroll is lifted to 40+ then Warmachines become inferior.
And don't forget enemy can shoot your crew and cripple the warmachine.

Agreed, and I am not familiar with many of the other army warscrolls yet, so don't know the power of enemy range troops.  however, my belief is you will see the return to the Imperial gunline.  Our gunners are good in melee too in a pinch and our artillery can outrange any ranged units I've read so far (not artillery, but range units).  So.....3 cannons, 3 mortars to weaken any unit working its way towards my line.  Handgunners and xbow to soften them up even more (maybe a helblaster too) followed by 40 greatsowrdsmen lead by karl franz to give extra attacks.

If my buddies want a game, I think I will try it.

Ambrose

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »
All rules I've seen so far had a limit to max 1 duplicate, so max 2 cannons. Also it matters a lot how many wounds you allow per Warscroll. I want to say Warmachines are not overpowered or useless on their own, it depends on rules of army composition you are playing. The "right" one would make them average, but very good versus certain type of opponents.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:31:21 PM by Krokz »