home

Author Topic: Perry Miniatures: War of the Roses  (Read 46313 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Perry Miniatures: War of the Roses
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »

Just noticed that TAG also sells separate halberds. Less expensive. Free postage.

Also noticed in their news items that they are working on some landsknechts.

I just placed a long overdue "sample order" of a few packs to see how they compare to other brands. Ordered the Maximilian guard, a pack of Italian Pike and Italian Handgunners for starters.

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 03:30:48 PM »

Just noticed that TAG also sells separate halberds. Less expensive. Free postage.

Also noticed in their news items that they are working on some landsknechts.

I just placed a long overdue "sample order" of a few packs to see how they compare to other brands. Ordered the Maximilian guard, a pack of Italian Pike and Italian Handgunners for starters.

Wow, thanks for catching that 023. Ok, I have made up my mind. I am going to use these guys... http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1737

And warm them with these Halberds... http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=919&cat=82&page=2

My only question is 023 will the Halberds fit into their hands?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »
Good question -- but one to which I have no answer. I haven't seen the TAG halberds. I would imagine they will be fine. The hands on the Artizan figures are open, and can be filed or carefully bent open more if required.

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
This is a very interesting thread..and one I will have to dig into more when I have some time.  My question is this...has anyone compared the 4th/5th edition great swords with any of these ranges...I see that artizan has some...the swords look a little small though.  The GW Great Swords from this period are some of my favorite Empire models but they strike me as quite large...and there are only 3 variations!

These are the ones I mean...at the bottom of the page:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92359empinfantry-03.htm

Cheers,

Blue

My Painting and Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »
I hate to be a big time "newb" with this question, but how do I buy from these companies? Do I need to contact them directly about monetary conversations and shipping?

There really is a wealth of knowledge here! I like almost all of these figs better that the current Empire state troops!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 06:47:03 PM »
This is a very interesting thread..and one I will have to dig into more when I have some time.  My question is this...has anyone compared the 4th/5th edition great swords with any of these ranges...I see that artizan has some...the swords look a little small though.  The GW Great Swords from this period are some of my favorite Empire models but they strike me as quite large...and there are only 3 variations!

Those greatswords are bigger than the Artizan greatswords. There is a drastic difference between the weapons in particular. Of course, those old greatsword figures look bigger than the more recent GW metal greatsword figures too. (I've got a mix of both.)

I hate to be a big time "newb" with this question, but how do I buy from these companies? Do I need to contact them directly about monetary conversations and shipping?

I just buy with a credit card and the credit card company converts the currency. I believe some credit card companies may charge a small fee for this (like 2-3%) but my card (Capitol One) does not.

Most shipping rates/policies are explained on each company's web page, somewhere.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »
I don't know what part of the world you're in, but it looks like Brigade Games carries Artizan in the US, too:

http://www.brigadegames.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BGAHSL&Category_Code=ADREN

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »
Guys I have artizan Conquistadors as well as old 5th GW models.  Just tell me which comparison pictures you want to see and I will post them this weekend  :happy:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »
Yeah I would actually be interested in buying those OG figs from you. However, ive looked all over the net and I can't find any decent pics of them. I know 023 posted one on here but I can't really see it that well. Can you provide any pics?

I will take and post some pics over the weekend.

I posted one here too, but I guess you still can't see it all that well either:

For the TAG minis, I posted a few in the comparison thread (mostly alternative kislevites)

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »
Yeah I really like the Artizan figures. They will make for a good 40 man strong spearmen unit! Sadly, it looks like I will have to stick with GW for my Halberier unit but oh well.

Currently I have a 25 man strong Swordsman unit (cool 6th edition) that id like to bump up to 40. Any recommendations for those figs?

You know, many companies make separate halberds. The Foundry and artizan figures being openhanded, you could arm them just as well with halberds as with spears or pikes. You could even give them swords, though the poses might be a bit stiff for that.

Also, I've got about 30 or so of the old glory pikemen for sale or trade if you want. I can supply pikes for them from Northstar if needed, though I think you're better off making your own with wire and plastic bits for that more "heroic" look.

White Knight, I would be interested in buying those 30 OG figs from you however, I can't find any good pictures of them online. I only have the one picture on this thread to go by. Can you email me just a few pics at ajwells28@gmail.com It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 03:23:17 PM »

Does DSA have a range of figures like that, or just that single figure? Looks pretty nice from the photo!

I didn't realize Mike Owen did any of the Foundry stuff. All the figures I've got seem to be clearly Perry sculpted. Looking at the web page (well, one of their web pages... :roll: ) , it looks like the "Mercenary Characters" might be Owen's. Do you know which/if any others are his?

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 05:05:11 PM »
Yeah I would actually be interested in buying those OG figs from you. However, ive looked all over the net and I can't find any decent pics of them. I know 023 posted one on here but I can't really see it that well. Can you provide any pics?

For the TAG minis, I posted a few in the comparison thread (mostly alternative kislevites)

Sorry I missed this post by you. Just email me at ajwells28@gmail.com and we can talk about me purchasing those OG figs from you. Take care!

Offline joshkrebs

• Members
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2010, 05:16:09 PM »
Just got a pack of the OG Pikes show above, 20 for $10 at my LGS from a box tucked away in a corner.   :happy:
They are great figs and have all the puff and slash that people complain 7th GW lack.  Great figs, even if the poses aren't looking easy to paint.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
Talben21, I will mail you tomorrow with some more pictures.

Does DSA have a range of figures like that, or just that single figure? Looks pretty nice from the photo!

It's a limited range. They have one halberdier, two crossbowmen (one kneeling), two greatswords (one wounded), a woman with crossbow and lantern and a mounted woman with warhammer (both women are pictured in my 'old' army thread). The Armalion range (which is an expansion of the DSA range) also has a set of crossbowmen with two different crossbowmen (one kneeling), a fat sergeant/captain and a drummer, which are very nice.

My favourites are the 4-men crossbowset (armalion) and the two women.

Most of them are pictured here: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=6724.50

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 05:53:39 PM »
I didn't realize Mike Owen did any of the Foundry stuff. All the figures I've got seem to be clearly Perry sculpted. Looking at the web page (well, one of their web pages... :roll: ) , it looks like the "Mercenary Characters" might be Owen's. Do you know which/if any others are his?

AFAIK, there was only the one pack (he also did the seadogs & swashbuckler packs which have some more figures that wouldn't look out of place in an Empire or Estalian force).

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »
Vendel are now owned by Sergeant Major Miniatures in the USA

http://www.sgmm.biz/

"SGMM produces a line of 20mm WWII figures, as well as a line of 28mm Ancients, and 28mm Fantasy figures that used to be sold as Vendel Miniatures in England, now marketed under the name Molon Labe. "

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2010, 06:57:27 PM »

Almost forgot about this link I recenlty posted elsewhere in the Forum. I believe that most of the figures in these photos are Old Glory:

http://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2010/07/italian-wars-scenario-play-test.html

Offline Valetus

• Members
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2010, 10:47:33 PM »
I painted some. Only got the armoured ones photographed so far, and they are done as rieksguard just for fun

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 02:32:50 PM »

And warm them with these Halberds... http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/store/product.php?productid=919&cat=82&page=2

Please post some pictures of the Halberds, should you buy them. I'm interested in the size and quality.

@ Valetus: It's 'Reiksguard'

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 03:29:14 PM »

oops  :icon_rolleyes:

Actually I also think there is a debate about the 'u' too.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 10:34:21 PM »

oops  :icon_rolleyes:

Actually I also think there is a debate about the 'u' too.

Might as well use 'Reichsgarde' then  :icon_wink:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 03:58:56 AM »

Back to the TAG figures... what was that, like 5 days ago (including weekend days) that I ordered? I already have the figures. That's got to be the quickest overseas delivery I've had -- and it was free (postage.)

Review of the actual figures coming soon, but they look really good in the packs. Comparable to some of the Copplestone stuff, maybe, but a bit less exaggerated. Leaner than the Artizan figures. I'll wait til I paint a few for final judgment, but so far I'm very happy from the looks of it.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
Back to the TAG figures...

I'll be quite interested in those.
I had a lengthy brows on their website the other day, and I didn't find myself getting excited - I  was looking around various ranges and thought they looked rather bland.

Offline smaug123uk

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »
to me the size is negligable - you will never find an army in any world unless they are clones that are all the same size

the perry ones are slightly smaller but to me its the same as having a 6 ft 4 soldier beside a 5ft 8 so the difference is not notacable and considering the excellant sculpts & BIG price difference i know where my pennies are going [and have already gone]

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »
I've used the perry WOTR miniatures to expand my halberd unit from 20 to 50. They look quite good, and the scale difference is unnoticeable when massed.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.