home

Author Topic: Impetus 2nd Edition ...  (Read 1767 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Impetus 2nd Edition ...
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:50:49 PM »
Impetus 2nd Edition was released on January 15th.

I here tell that pre-ordered copies have been mailed.  I hadn't pre-ordered, this system had fallen off my radar screen.

However, waiting to see if a local distributor here gets any copies in and how soon.  If not, then I'm ordering direct from Dadi&Piombo.

Impetus is primarily an Ancients, Dark Age, Medieval, and Renaissance set of rules that allows for bridging and tourney play across time frames.  Players often stick to one era for a sense of getting historical armies fighting each other on the table top, although to expand the number of players, it has seen more than one era used for tourney format.

Army builds are through a points system, with the ability to create to a degree flavorful armies as they were historically composed.  Bases are 120mm wide, and depending on type of unit, 30, 40, 60 mm deep, some even deeper if I recall.  Movement system is now in half base widths with the new edition, and lots of other changes that seem like it will be an upgrade.

It is a very good rules system, and with base sizes being as they are, it doesn't matter how many figures are on a base.  This gives room for much creativity in how a base is populated, creating small dioramas out of the units.

I'm back to working on my Late Achaemenid Persian Army, and looking forward to having some fun!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Impetus 2nd Edition ...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
Thanks for the info. Impetus had dropped out of my radar too.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
I'm organizing a friendly mini-tourney using the 2nd Edition for an upcoming convention.  It is mostly for getting folks together for some gaming with their figures, and having some fun, the idea is to win, yet with a good bit of good gamesmanship thrown in for emphasis.  I'm also planning to use these rules for larger convention games with historical scenarios.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »
For those interested ... Dadi&Piombo have produced 5 supplements with army lists that they call "Extra Impetus".

I dug out my Extra Impetus 4 which has army lists for the Age of Hoplites (Classical Greece and opponents), Alexander and his Successors (including opponents like Persians and India), and Rome and the Mediterranean.  Need to dig out the army list I created for my Late Persians and review what has been painted, and what is yet to be painted heading towards this May.