home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296156 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Sea Elf)
« Reply #1425 on: October 02, 2019, 03:15:51 AM »
Finished the last details and base on the happy-go-lucky sea elf prince who gave up his claim to the throne to his equally well meaning cousin, then sailed the seas of fate, promoting peace, carrying with him the healing boon of the white sword...

Re-purposed classic figure to fit into the sea elf force I painted for the Old World Army Challenge

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1426 on: October 02, 2019, 11:28:14 AM »
Fantastic! That banner before is amazing. I think it’s a first for jelly fish too 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #1427 on: October 04, 2019, 04:07:45 PM »
Love the oldschool metals , love the elvs  :::cheers:::
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1428 on: October 04, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »
Thanks!

Orctober is upon us! Or half-Orctober in my case.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Half-orcs & Undeadish)
« Reply #1429 on: October 08, 2019, 04:14:03 AM »

Painted the first 10 of 25 half-orcs for Orctober!

I rearranged a bit in the corner of the basement where I paint and photograph. I moved a really bright suspended LED fixture that I recently installed across the room and swapped it with the one near my photo table. Also put it in a slightly better position. This one is brighter and a warmer color.

I had recently draped a sheet of greenish "teddy bear fur” that I won a few years ago over the storage boxes on the ledge behind the table. But as the weather is getting colder, I'm concerned that we will get mice moving into the basement (as has happened the past few years) and I was worried that I was creating a nice nesting spot for them. So the fur backdrop is now suspended from a bit of PVC pipe that is in turn suspended from a water pipe. On my to do list is making some larger trees for the background (and possible future gaming).

I unpacked the Undeadish (or at least most of what's painted so far) for some test photos to see how the lighting would work.

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #1430 on: October 08, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »
Looks superb 023  nice setting...I really wish I lived nearby
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #1431 on: October 12, 2019, 12:10:40 PM »
The half orc back left has a nice moustache... :)

Great undead army!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1432 on: October 12, 2019, 12:41:34 PM »
Well done Zygmung, you spotted the "not officially a half-orc" mini  :wink:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1433 on: October 13, 2019, 04:54:51 AM »
Looks superb 023  nice setting...I really wish I lived nearby

That would be great!

The half orc back left has a nice moustache... :)
Well done Zygmung, you spotted the "not officially a half-orc" mini  :wink:

Haha, yes! In my "Althammer" concept, half orcs aren't specifically half-orc+half-human, but are a people of mixed descent who are outcasts from all of their forebears' communities. And since they've lived as a community of their own for several generations, each individual may resemble different parts of their heritage to greater or lesser degrees.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1434 on: October 14, 2019, 03:14:19 PM »
It's the only way that large groups of half-orcs make sense, really.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1435 on: October 14, 2019, 10:27:42 PM »
That and the idea that there's a handful of mountain villages that are known to be a haven for people like them would attract a slow trickle of outcasts from fully human or orc communities.

The other idea is that there are fully human bandits/rebels who are lumped in with them as "half-orc" by those from the city, small lowland towns & agricultural area. Not in terms of blood relations, but more like "they act half like an orc”. These humans will just as frequently be allies as they are foes of the actual mixed blood half-orcs. So if I need an excuse to field a larger force, then it's a few units of half orcs, a few units of humans, and...Maybe some other ideas? Maybe a unit of ogres?

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1436 on: October 15, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »
You can always throw in ogres, ogres fit everywhere in Warhammer! With the outline you've given, you could slip in anything a bit scruffy and a bit morally flexible. From an army point of view it'd be nice if you could find some sort of mounted models to fit the bill. From a background point of view, I wonder what their leadership is, what their goals are...

PS if this was D&D there would definitely be lycanthropes. Wherever part-human malcontents gather, there are were-somethings! ;)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1437 on: October 17, 2019, 02:38:04 AM »
You can always throw in ogres, ogres fit everywhere in Warhammer! With the outline you've given, you could slip in anything a bit scruffy and a bit morally flexible. From an army point of view it'd be nice if you could find some sort of mounted models to fit the bill. From a background point of view, I wonder what their leadership is, what their goals are...

PS if this was D&D there would definitely be lycanthropes. Wherever part-human malcontents gather, there are were-somethings! ;)

I've got a solid idea for a setting in my head, bits and pieces of details, scenarios/campaigns, and other stuff actually written out. If I had a little more time during the day and some local players, I feel like I could run a hell of a story driven campaign with a lot of RPG elements. It really is an "Alt(ernate War)hammer" focused on the Wasteland & Marienburg. Marienburg and its hinterland are not only the setting, but define the races, politics, etc.

In my Althammer, there is no Chaos as a major power, though some bits may get added in later. However, the Skaven are still there, but mostly in their role as stealthy, cowardly schemers working from the shadows. Fimir/Fomorians are also there, and their old history with the Skaven in the region. Both are ancient but very small players on the current stage.

Orcs have been almost completely driven out of the western Old World within recent history, and some (few) even assimilated as mercenaries the way that Ogres have. Goblins are more populous & verminous, and more heterogeneous than the usual Warhammer style (my excuse to paint a variety of figures under the heading "goblin"), and still lurk in the mountains and deep forests. They sort of occupy the role Beastmen do in "Warhammer Prime". I don't have much for "dark elves" as anything other than a different political party within High Elf society. I think my concept of heroes & villains is a little more subtle and subjective than some of the WFB tropes/cliches.

The focus is definitely human-centric, with hobbits and half-orcs playing a "familiar" secondary role, and elves and dwarfs playing a "foreign" secondary role. Marienburg is the center, with Bretonnia and the Empire currently held at bay, but a constant threat.

It’s the story of a wealthy city and it’s precarious interactions with two adjacent & competing empires, two ancient but still powerful rivals, two equally ancient but shadowy cultures, and multiple factions that are theoretically “internal” to the hinterland over which they rule, but definitely separated by the great walls (physical and metaphorical) of the city.

In terms of motivation, leadership, etc. it breaks down into a lot of small competing factions that makes for good political drama/intrigue and shifting alliances. A good excuse to paint a variety of figures, but leave it open to play them in different combinations! :wink: I've been working on a system of army & scenario selection based on the idea of a pre-game bidding in which two or more players have to recruit different factions, which will in-turn determine their army composition and motivation in the subsequent game(s).

In terms of mounted models as you mentioned, my miniatures "wish list" at this point includes some of the Perry French knights to paint up as Bretonnian malcontents & ne'er-do-wells, sort of like wandering Free Companies of real world history. They can be hired as mercenaries, or join with bandits & rebels, motivated by little more than their own advancement (...loot....) I'm not seeing the "half-orcs", nor their human counterparts, as fielding much cavalry. But they may have some close allies... Since the geography I'm focusing on, which quickly goes from mountain, to broken foothill & moorland, and then quickly to swamps & coastal marshes, I'm not sure I want to place a big emphasis on heavy cavalry anyway.

As far as lycanthropes, or anthropomorphic figures in general, I'm struggling with that. There are a number of figures I want to paint -- old Tom Meier trogs, RP "Thumpers" that I've had forever and semi-recently stripped. (Great sculpts!) I've been looking at werewolves from a few manufacturers (started by the possibility of painting my old Citadel Wood Elves for the next Old World Army Challenge -- shapechangers!), and the Frostgrave gnolls too.

But I'm having trouble justifying any of them for the setting. The best I can think of is similar to some of the WFB "distant" settings... Side stages like the New World was explored in the early published WFB scenarios (amazons, Slann, norse….) But I'm still trying to document my ideas for the core setting. (And hopping to eventually fine players, etc...) So I'm not sure I'm ready to venture off too far on tangents yet.  :icon_rolleyes:

That's the base setting. The Adversary that gets dropped in, and becomes the second major faction, is the undead. But I’ve posted enough words without pictures for now, and the less said about the dead…. the better. :wink:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1438 on: October 19, 2019, 02:16:50 PM »
Took a little longer, but I finished the second ten (in front) half orcs. Three of the new ones were converted from pikemen using plastic Skaven swords and borrowed shields. Just five more to paint...

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1439 on: October 19, 2019, 04:45:29 PM »
Awesome! The Red Shields are here.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1440 on: October 23, 2019, 04:01:02 AM »

Finished my Orctober (Half-Orctober) goal a week early. 24 Grenadier/Mirliton half-orcs, with an oldschool Ctiadel figure mixed in to round the regiment to 25.

Time for a group photo!

Along with the completion of my Orctober/Half-Orctober '19 goal, that also finishes the half-orc project. At least in terms of figures I already owned & planned (for several years now) to paint & form a small contingent for gaming. (Should I ever get the chance to play games again.) A really enjoyable project! As nice as it is to feel a sense of completion, I'm already thinking 10 more archers would be a good addition. And my eyes will be open for more/new opportunities to add to this. But for now I'm done. 😁
  • 25 Warriors (mostly Grenadier)
  • 16 Warriors (Old CItadel)
  • 30 Warriors (Black Tree and a few Reaper Miniatures)
  • 10 Archers (Grenadier/Mirliton)
  • 5 Skirmishers (Alternative Armies)
  • 1 General (Grenadier/Mirliton)
  • 1 Shaman (Reaper)
  • 1 Standard Bearer (Unknown - maybe Grenadier?)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1441 on: October 23, 2019, 10:41:07 AM »
Defending a farm, I see. :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #1442 on: October 24, 2019, 03:39:09 PM »
Nice!

I like that the red shields and skin tones ties the whole army together.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1443 on: October 25, 2019, 11:14:00 AM »
Have we seen that wizard in purple?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1444 on: October 25, 2019, 09:57:21 PM »
That's Fried the psychedelic half-orc shaman/mycologist. Pronounced ”Freed”  - short for Friedrich. I'm pretty sure I posted him before.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1445 on: October 25, 2019, 10:05:55 PM »
Hands down, that’s my favourite gobbo shaman. Awesome!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1446 on: October 26, 2019, 12:25:48 AM »
Took a new pic. With friends. Mycomancer?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1447 on: October 26, 2019, 02:06:00 AM »
He's raising an army of shrooms! :icon_eek:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1448 on: October 26, 2019, 01:00:46 PM »
Everyone likes Fried Mushrooms  :icon_lol:

Do I feel a new mini-faction forming? Must be lots more mushroom people minis out there...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1449 on: October 27, 2019, 10:44:12 AM »
I have some differrent reaper ones myself... :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.