home

Author Topic: Inclusion/Exclusion of Cathay, Ind and Nippon = inexcusable  (Read 4489 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Inclusion/Exclusion of Cathay, Ind and Nippon = inexcusable
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 01:09:30 PM »
There's always Warhammer Ancients. They've already got one book on an early period (I believe) of Chinese history

I have that one. It's quite interesting, but the army lists are very dull - it's just bloke with crossbow, bloke with halberd, bloke on chariot. The best part of it are the strategists and their ruses.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 01:17:51 PM »
I struggle to find opponents/money to buy models/time to paint them for fantasy, let alone ancient battles.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »
That's true, no one plays. It's even harder to find someone to play an actual in-period game.

I haven't even played, but mainly because you need so many miniatures for an army and I still haven't finished painting my Byzantines.
If I wanted to.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 08:43:29 PM »
I have that one. It's quite interesting, but the army lists are very dull - it's just bloke with crossbow, bloke with halberd, bloke on chariot. The best part of it are the strategists and their ruses.

Now see, that's what I like about it. None of this ward save, regeneration, slime trail, miasma of pestilence impossible to kill stuff.  :wink:

I don't know anything about that book, but most of the classical (west) & medieval stuff seems a little more interesting than that, with warbands, nomad cavalry, phalanxes, etc.

I struggle to find opponents/money to buy models/time to paint them for fantasy, let alone ancient battles.

I hear that -- and I don't know many local players either. But that's why I'm on a crusade to convert people.  :-D

That's true, no one plays. It's even harder to find someone to play an actual in-period game.

I haven't even played, but mainly because you need so many miniatures for an army and I still haven't finished painting my Byzantines.

My Burgundians have far fewer figures than my Empire or Skaven do.  :-P

Back to the original topic, I like to have a bit of mystery & unknown in the game, so I'm glad they just hint at some things without filling them out.

Besides, you can always "counts as." Like the Cathay & Nippon armies using existing rules (both Empire?)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 09:10:40 PM »
I don't know anything about that book, but most of the classical (west) & medieval stuff seems a little more interesting than that, with warbands, nomad cavalry, phalanxes, etc.

I really like the Byzantium and Vlad the Impaler books. Both of them have a lot of interesting lists (and the Vlad book is full of ideas I stole for the Marienburg campaign lists). I'm not keen on Western Europe so much (especially in the dark ages - it's all mud and spears).

The Siege book has some rules for including terrain in the points value for scenario games that are really excellent.

My Burgundians have far fewer figures than my Empire or Skaven do.

Well, my Byzantines have three units of twelve cavalry and one of ten, plus all the infantry. I'm about half way through.

They seem a bit broken though. The Kataphractoi blunt-nosed wedge looks brutal, and the normal heavy cavalry have the equivalent of 'always strikes first'  and 'hatred.'  :icon_smile:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:14:25 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 09:11:57 PM »
I heard a good one for Nippon/Japan with High Elves/Dark Elves

Peasants= Spearmen (preferably DE here)
Archers= Archers (or RxBs)...
Samurai= Swordmasters/Executioners
Ninjas= Shadow Warriors/Shades (probably Shades are better here)
Cavalry (forget the Japanese name for em right now...)= Ellyrion Reavers/Dark Riders
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 08:37:28 AM »
Cavalry (forget the Japanese name for em right now...)

Samurai. :wink:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2008, 02:03:48 PM »

The Siege book has some rules for including terrain in the points value for scenario games that are really excellent.

I think "Siege and Conquest" is a great book for stealing ideas from WAB into WFB, even if you don't play WAB at all.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
It is, isn't it. Fantastic book.  :icon_smile:
If I wanted to.