home

Author Topic: Oy! Show us your huntsmen!  (Read 21831 times)

Offline neverness

• Members
Oy! Show us your huntsmen!
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:44:08 PM »
Hello,
I've just started throwing together a unit of huntmen from my leftover milita and Mordheim models, and they look great. But I'm a little stuck on a paint scheme. The 6th ed Empire book has a pic of 3 models, that although they look okay in that scheme, I'm wanting to see more. While putting together my unit, I'm thinking that I'm going to enjoy painting this unit simply as an alternative to my Reikland army. I'm hoping some of you thought the same thing and did some wild conversions and paint jobs on them. I searched the site before I started this but I only turned up passing mention of them, mostly list inclusion/exclusion and effectiveness debates.

So, this is an open call for huntsmen pictures please! -the more diverse mix we get the better.

thanks!

:::cheers:::

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:16:34 PM by neverness »

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Oy! Show us your huntsmen!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:17:18 PM »
I dont have any pictures, but the huntsmn unit I remember best, the fellow painted his huntsmen in the state colors, (red and white) but gave the men dark green coats and hats/some brown It gave them the huntsman feel and preserved army integrity also, if thats what you are into.  steveb

Offline Sigmork

• Members
  • R.I.P. Rufas
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:46:31 PM »
Mine are rather boring and badly painted but here they are:

Quote from: PhillyT
Sigmork, your chi is weak!

Offline Alasandril

• Members
  • Rosyth, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:20:48 PM »
Here you go. Have to admit to dropping them for a tourney that I'm off to in April as I don't think they've managed to get their points back in the last 5 or 6 games.

Used numerous bits from Militia and Bretonnian kits. I liked the pouches and dead rabbits etc from the Bretonnian kits because it made it look like the unit had been living off the land.
Greetings from Scotland; The nation that invented Armour Piercing rain

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:15:05 PM »
Good stuff so far! I hope to see a lot more!

Alasandril, I like the “don't call me merry” look of your huntsmen. It’s a look I’m strongly considering with colors along those lines. I don’t have many Bretonnian bits (yet) but I’m eager to get some of the dead rabbits, they sound quite characterful. I do have the dog, which will be on my marksman’s base. It just makes sense that these guys would have dogs with them. It’s a shame this is the only ”normal” dog I believe that GW ever made. Something closer to a Springer Spaniel would be cool. And a horn from one of the Bretonnia sprues which, again, is very characterful and sensible. Shame you’ve not had much luck with them in the game, but I suspect when I use them they’ll be committing suicide with each deployment. …Is that a woodpecker?

Sigmork, your models are NOT boring! In fact, my models are currently looking a lot like yours. I’m even using the same torso and head for my marksman! I like that you gave him a crossbow. But what impresses me most, and I think would be a test of my skills, is that you strung the bows! They even look taut like they’re supposed too. I’ve seen examples of bow stringing look great and some that look bad. It’s not the easiest thing to pull off, and you’ve got me considering taking that challenge. I wish your photos were a bit clearer so I could see those strings better. Good stuff!

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:15:13 PM »
I'm still awaiting my grass for the bases but a little later I'll post a pic of mine currently.
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 10:16:53 PM »
Maybe this has been discussed before but how does one go about stringing their bow?

I've always thought it was cool but assumed it was beyond me. Maybe it still is but I'm more game for a challenge these days  :-P

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »
Here they are. I've only got  of them however, so use them as an archer detachment instead at the moment, until they remove that silly 10+ restriction on huntsmen.

cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 10:30:09 PM »
Maybe this has been discussed before but how does one go about stringing their bow?

I've always thought it was cool but assumed it was beyond me. Maybe it still is but I'm more game for a challenge these days  :-P

I've been looking around since I last posted. I vividly recall seeing an example of bow stringing done with the plastic elf archers, but I can't locate where I saw it. I thought it was in the 6th ed High Elf book, but I'll be damned if I can't find it now! I was pretty sure it was in a rulebook and not a White Dwarf... it's really fueling my desire to take the Bowstringing Challenge.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 12:21:19 AM »

If you got figures, then you have sprue. heat the sprue over a candle and stretch it out to thread thickness. cut into sections and glue onto bow, just a little dab leave excess hanging over the ends till dry and then trim off. If the string needs to be bent to knock arrow about tobe shoot then bend the plastic thread section over a hard edge it hold the bend and you can glue it in place. you can do a whole regiment in less than 1/2 hour.  if you try it post so everyone can see how it works.  steveb

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 12:24:45 AM »
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 12:30:45 AM »
Steve, I like that! I am gonna try it I think. Not today but soon... very soon. Thanks muchly and indeed I will post pics when I do!

Anyways, here they are in their current state, to be honest looking at them now I can see I really should do some more work on them.  :blush:

Offline geektom

• Members
  • hooray for geek!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 01:10:08 AM »
Here are mine-- they are not finished being painted yet, but at least you can kind of see the hoods and cloaks I added.

Titus 3:3-7

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 01:30:40 AM »

Heres one unit...

And here are the first two guys from a second unit I'm working on.  They are more mountain men than your typical huntsmen.

I have a few more from this unit finished or in progress but no pictures of those guys yet.

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 06:11:13 AM »
They're finally done!

Boi-tee-foul!

sj

EDIT: well sorta done... where's the rest! I love the tree spotter guy. I just want to do a carbon copy of him now... but I'm working on my ... PLAGUE CART!!!! (shameless advertising, but man, for $45.00 it's a damn fun plastic kit to play with. I'm gonna buy more!)

sj

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 07:18:48 AM »
I don't have a huntsmen unit, but if I were you I would paint them in stirland colours: a lot of green and some white, kind of what Otaku's done but with some white. Stirland is the province of forests, so it's really fluffy to do that. Also, a reikland army can just hire some huntsmen, so it's still a Reikland army.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline SirUlrich

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »
Whew. Now this thread makes me feel like I should make another unit (and shamelessly stealing these ideas)...

Ok. Here are mine. Nothing fancy or even creative. These guys look wild enough but compliment the color scheme for the rest of the army. Black in all units and then the brown/green of the huntsmen vs. red of my other troops.

Closeup:

-SirU

You brush and pallette guys scare me ;)

Offline Nightshadow

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 10:14:17 AM »
Quite a bad pic, but they aren't that special. Also used to be huntsmen, but now degraded to archer detachment.

Graf Wilhelm Anderssen, Leading the Marburg Company (Stirland), joining Helstrom's 4th.
Awarded with the Nemesis Rune, Von Klaust's Laurels of Acclamation and the Scroll of Ludendorf.
NC: 5/2/1

Offline Sigmork

• Members
  • R.I.P. Rufas
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »

I used fine thread, tied one end around the bow, put a dab of superglue to hold it, but another dab where the arrow is (to make triangle shape) then the hardest part, tie the final knot, making sure the string is all tight then finish off with a dab of superglue.
Sigmork, your chi is weak!

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 04:39:14 PM »
I don't know which idea will work best for me... I may have to try both.

I mean, melting stuff does sound more fun than tying knots... so it might end up being that  :blush:

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 07:42:49 PM »
I don't have a huntsmen unit, but if I were you I would paint them in stirland colours: a lot of green and some white, kind of what Otaku's done but with some white. Stirland is the province of forests, so it's really fluffy to do that. Also, a reikland army can just hire some huntsmen, so it's still a Reikland army.

Accept that Stirlands colours are green and yellow.  Only the Stir river patrol is green and white and they tend to stay on the river. And since they are kinda elite they are more likely to be armed with xbows or guns.... but whatever  ( rolls eyes :icon_rolleyes: at myself)

Offline Outrider

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »
I'm... stunned. We appear to have the same man leading our huntsman units Notts.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:22:30 PM by Outrider »
Scattered firepower = Wasted firepower

RufAs the Eccentric, gone but not forgotten

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 03:04:33 AM »
Wow. You guys have had some great ideas with your individual takes on this unit! Well done.

The melting of plastic to make string…it could work. I’m just not that proficient with that sort of thing though. My Dad used to do that sort of thing with model kits when I was younger, usually on tanks and jeeps, and created antennas using just a lighter and a piece of sprue.

The technique that Sigmork describes is the one I saw in a publication by GW, on how to string High Elf bows (still can’t find it! I think it was in a White Dwarf.).

Otaku, your Huntsmen are very dynamic! Quite awesome! Have you upset any elf players yet?

Geektom, are you going for a sort of Steppe Warrior/ Kislev look? I like it!

Well done Siberius, I like the kneeling guy. I never could figure out why they don’t do front rank archers kneeling so that the 2nd rank could fire too. Weird Warhammer anomaly. Another one is why volleys don’t exist in the rules in some way.

Like most of you, I’m relying heavily on the standard militia sprue, with a bit of Middenheim and Bretonnia thrown in (thanks Alasandril, you inspired me to pick up a set of Bretonnian archers. Mostly for the quivers and arrow bundles and weird bits). The two arm variants sort of restricts poses so I’ve got the idea to hack the hand off of the loading arm (the one holding the arrow) and swap it with the one that has just released an arrow to create a notched arrow look. Should work (I hope).

Enough rambling from me this evening, thanks for all your pics so far, and please, I hope to see more!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 03:03:38 AM by neverness »

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 02:47:08 AM »
I found the bow stringing article! Actually, it's not an article, it's a side bar. It's in the 2006-2007 GW Complete Catalog & Hobby Reference on page 453 in the High Elf section. It says to "use a pin vice to drill a hole through the top to the bottom of the middle finger", and obviously we'll need to adapt this depending on the actually pose of our models, feed a grey or white thread through the hole, and super glue the ends to the bow. It's not hard to visualize and it looks surprisingly easy. I'll definitely be giving it a go.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »
Better tell us how you screwed up how well it went and possible tips so we can adopt it as well!
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra