home

Author Topic: character deployment and unit sizes  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Davido

• Members
character deployment and unit sizes
« on: April 10, 2007, 04:29:38 AM »
As I have wandered around this site I have noticed that most people take units of 24 state troops and then use a character to bring it up to US 25. I have found that taking 25 state troops gives a huge tactical advantage for the small cost of that extra RnF member.

This is because your oppenent doesn't know where your characters are going to go. Also as characters deploy last you can place each character where he is needed most to counter the enemy's deployment.

An example of how I use this is as follows. In my army I have three parent units and associated detachments that are deployed in the Reman legion style. If each of my parent units are 25 strong so my oppents don't know where the characters are going and so cannot counter them with deployment. Following the same example if my enemy decides to set up a fear causing unit accross from say my halberdiers in the hopes of causing this 'weak' unit to autobreak due to fear I can just place my AL with the icon of magnus there to prevent it.

This strategy only really works if you have more than 2 parent units and excells with 3 as you can deploy your general and BSB in any of your units and each of the other units will still be in that magic 12'' range.

please let me know what you think of this and please give any suggestions you have about making this work better/for different uses.
Yay my rocket battery finally killed something.What do you mean those are my halberdiers.

Offline Fierce

• Members
Re: character deployment and unit sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:09:17 AM »
Some people have slight obsession for full ranks. I don't mind having uneven units if it is advantageous for my play. Wouldn't it be more suprising for your enemy if you place your combat character into unit of 25 men instead of 24?

Anyway, I think your observations are valid. Character deployment is an important factor one should keep in my mind when deploying other units. The longer you can preserve your options the better. Also, your opponent can turn his emphasis completely on other flank with characters, and you should be ready to counter this.

Offline Davido

• Members
Re: character deployment and unit sizes
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 11:35:28 AM »
hmm I hadn't though of that purposefully lower numbers in one unit so the enemy assumes multiple characters are going there. Then of course the characters go everywhere else and catch his army in a pincer attack. Yes I will be trying this it's devilishly sneaky. It could also be used to divert enemy resourses to the base unit in an oblique attack.

Cheers Fierce I now have much to think on.
Yay my rocket battery finally killed something.What do you mean those are my halberdiers.