home

Author Topic: Is every1 still playing 8th ed?  (Read 26065 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Is every1 still playing 8th ed?
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 11:49:52 PM »
What was 6th Editin like? I'm a wee player who hasn't been around that long?   :Ohmy:

A lot more focus on static combat res and Magical charges. Nowdays, it is much more focused on killing. Too much in my opinion. But not enough focus on static CR either in my opinion.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
In the last year I've played a handful of games of 8th.

I've downloaded 9th age rules, and KoW.  I'd play 9th if a mate was really interested, but KoW doesn't particularly appeal to me.

For most of the last year I've been playing Age of Sigmar, which I've enjoyed immensely.  It's been a pleasure to play without restriction, and the main objective to have a fun game rather than to win a game, and only win a straight out and out battle at that.  The battleplans and Time of War and the ongoing story have really changed gaming for me.   I know all of those were possible in 8th and before, but nobody was interested.   

The General's Handbook has already brought back some of those players that only want to do a straight points battle, and already the narrative scenario based stuff has already declined. 

Seeing the same armies, playing the same games and the same results time and again just doesn't interest me.

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 03:15:43 PM »
Hi !

Out of curiosity, have you played KoW or have you just read the free rules ?

I say that because from my own experience there are many things that I only realised after playing my first game.

Before that it seemed like a decent Warhammer alternative to me but I was still unsure and thinking of some house rules (like using random charges for exemple), but all of that changed after I really tested the game and found it great fun for me and my friend.

Maybe try reading a few battle reports (there are many on the official forums).

Also in case you are not aware yet, the free rules are almost complete, but among the very few things missing compared to the full rulebook are the artefacts (allowing more customisation for your army, as even normal units can equip one) and the scenarios, and of course the free sample army lists are fully playable but do not include all units (see the online army editor at http://kow2.easyarmy.com for all armies with complete options)

Of course, it's perfectly possible that 9th age fit your tastes better, it depends from person to person.

To quote something I read on warseer when it was still online :

"If you loved Warhammer because of the fiddly bits, 9th age is for you.
If you loved Warhammer despite the fidly bits, Kings of War is for you.".

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2016, 12:34:36 AM »
I've only read the free rules.  I haven't played.  I'd be happy to give it a few tries, I don't think one try would give me a fair impression.  I'd like to know it well enough to judge.   But the opportunity to try hasn't come up.  My peer group hasn't suggested it.  My main local place to play is a GW store. 

It's been the best part of a year,  around the time AoS was released, that I read the rules, so I can't even remember really what it was that didn't appeal. 

When I first started playing and painting, me and my old school buddy 25 years ago, before we picked up 3rd ed, we made up our own simple rules.   AoS felt a bit like that, it brought back that fun feeling of making up a story, not caring what you put on the table, and just playing with simple rules.   

I guess it's not so much that KoW doesn't appeal to me, it's more that I'd already really found a game I was happy with

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2016, 03:13:10 AM »
I've only read the free rules.  I haven't played.  I'd be happy to give it a few tries, I don't think one try would give me a fair impression.  I'd like to know it well enough to judge.   But the opportunity to try hasn't come up.  My peer group hasn't suggested it.  My main local place to play is a GW store. 

It's been the best part of a year,  around the time AoS was released, that I read the rules, so I can't even remember really what it was that didn't appeal. 

When I first started playing and painting, me and my old school buddy 25 years ago, before we picked up 3rd ed, we made up our own simple rules.   AoS felt a bit like that, it brought back that fun feeling of making up a story, not caring what you put on the table, and just playing with simple rules.   

I guess it's not so much that KoW doesn't appeal to me, it's more that I'd already really found a game I was happy with

I wasn't impressed with KoW after reading the rules, but gave it a try. After an afternoon of playing, I was semi-converted. Not my ideal game, but a good way to have some fun games with minimal fuss. For me, the "pros" were that it was quick & easy to play, no arguing over rules or constantly looking stuff up, but it still felt like a big battle game where maneuver, position, an overall plan/battle line, etc. were all important.

To quote something I read on warseer when it was still online :

"If you loved Warhammer because of the fiddly bits, 9th age is for you.
If you loved Warhammer despite the fidly bits, Kings of War is for you.".

That seems to be the way things have broken down from my own environment. Like I said above, the two groups I previously gamed with each went with one of those. The KoW are the more laid-back group. The 9th Age group are the more competitive, tournament focused group.

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 07:35:05 AM »
It's funny how KoW, a game made by a former tournament champion (Alessio) with making tournaments easy in mind (the turn structure allow the use of chess clock if you want, and the game play rather fast compared to Warhammer/9th age) seems to be more popular with casual players than hard core competitives ones :D

To be fair to 9th age, 8th edition was my favorite Warhammer edition (I started with 3rd edition using cardboard square as I was too young to buy more than a few models, came back later during 4th and 5th with my first true armies (undead and dark elves), stopped when they splitted undead, tried 7th and didn't like it, came back for 8th) so I applaud the 9th age initiative, it's just that I found KoW to be a better game for me than Warhammer ever was while still allowing me to use all my collection of models (and keep using the Warhammer fluff if I want).

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2016, 11:32:04 AM »
 I've moved to KoW. There are a few "fiddly bits" I miss, but I think the game makes up for it in better balance and that proper big-battle feel.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2016, 11:40:25 AM »
Me and two of my buddies have switched to 6th. It's better balanced and more fun for us. Also there is a ton of stuff for it in the old White Dwarf magazines. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
True enough, although it still needed some fixes. The 7th BRB did most of that, but then the AB became ever more unbalanced.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2016, 11:54:05 AM »
True enough, although it still needed some fixes. The 7th BRB did most of that, but then the AB became ever more unbalanced.

Yup, High Elves and VC, not to mention Daemons. What a mess...
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2016, 02:19:44 PM »

Yes, I think 7th ed. core rules with 6th ed. army books is my favorite version of WFB.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »
Another 8th game played - still having a blast :)

cheers,
Lee

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2016, 03:25:10 AM »
That gyro blimp is great. And do I spy an old Thorgrim?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
Nope, thats just Krag the Grim on a ridiculously big rock  :biggriin:
cheers,
Lee

Offline The Real Rick Salamone

• Members
  • Kelly Clarkson Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2016, 01:29:51 AM »

Still playing

EEFL!
EEFL.freeforums.net
EEFL!
Eighth Edition for Life!

Join us at:

eefl.freeforums.net

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2016, 06:51:18 AM »
Arg it's all too much , i feel like ive been smacked round the face with a rubber fish,

can any1 give me a brief summary of main comments , main benefits of this 9th ed?

QUick examination leads me to conclude small tweaks, like ASF is now called  Lightning Reflexes, +1 to hit ,,,,,,

Army lists look the same, but with points tweaked, and other small tweaks ,
If you want the nitty gritty changes then just read their mainrulebook they highlight the changes from 8th edition in blue to make it easy. Other rules have been reworded for clarity and copyright.
Honestly looking at the blue words is exactly what you would be reading here if someone told you the changes.

Otherwise the changes are:
Everything is balanced to a very close margin, so no 'pay to win' GW stuff.
Nerf bat was swung around far and wide. So you don't get crazy deathstars that just eat through everything with crazy dmg and all that jazz.
Everyone who plays it says its fun.

8th edition with a couple of house rules taken from 9th age. I love my books/cards too much to do a complete switch :)

I'm not a big fan of their magic stuff so I don't want to give up my cards as well! lol.
I'll find someone to play The 9th Age with 8th edition magic eventually.

And of course:
EEFL!
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline KevinC

• Members
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 05:06:46 AM »
Still playing 8th edition and loving it!!!
"These princes try to tell me how to wage war, and seek to advise me on how best to rule my people. They are dolts and dullards, and it is a wonder that with such cretinous commanders your armies ever held against mine."
– Malekith, Phoenix King of Ulthuan

Offline The Real Rick Salamone

• Members
  • Kelly Clarkson Fan
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 02:28:06 PM »
Still playing 8th. Pickup games, campaign, building new armies, and big events.

EEFL!
EEFL.freeforums.net
EEFL!
Eighth Edition for Life!

Join us at:

eefl.freeforums.net

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »
Hi guys,

here in Barcelona (and I could extend this analysis to Spain) 9th Age is the rulebook most used. Largely.
I'm far from a competitive player, but still, I think 9th could be the way until GW returned to Fantasy, something I'm sure they will.
All members of my group play only 9th Age, and the rest of wargamers I know (a lot) has changed from 8th to 9th.
In Spain there are minor groups who play other fanmade (or adaptations) rulebooks: Warhammer 8.5, Warhammer Reforged, 6th edition with Manuscritos de Nuth... but the most has changed to 9th.

BUT

I'm not happy with the way 9th Age are turning to. Each edition of their rulebook is more different from the original 8th edition. Each edition introduces more rules. Now you need a calculator to make the simpliest army list. They points has doubled (which makes every comparison with previous editions wrong in terms of scale). Now they have created their own background...
In their obsession for balance in competition games they forget the spirit of the game. But the problem is not the rulebook. Never will be a perfectly balanced rulebok; the problem is the players who squeeze their lists to win at all costs. And these types of players will always exist. So, stop updating the rulebook constantly, because it already tires ...

No, I love Warhammer not only for the rules, games or miniatures but also for their stories: about Gotrek and Felix, about the Empire, about Nagash, about Von carsteins, about the War of the Beard, etc...

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2017, 04:17:45 PM »
So true, Rogers Kul! I'm still playing 8th with house rules, but was considering giving 9th a go. With all the new changes I can't be bothered - might as well play KoW as the rules/army building differ so much from what I'm used to. I was hoping they'd go Furion's route of minor tweaks to balance existing army books, but perhaps they want to build a brand of their own. They have a strong support, so maybe they'll stay their course...
cheers,
Lee

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 05:09:41 AM »

I'm not happy with the way 9th Age are turning to. Each edition of their rulebook is more different from the original 8th edition. Each edition introduces more rules. Now you need a calculator to make the simpliest army list. They points has doubled (which makes every comparison with previous editions wrong in terms of scale). Now they have created their own background...

I disagree with this.
All the stuff you stated was done because of copyright issues(You can thank GW for that).
I have not read the background yet but once you get passed a few name changes its probably not a big deal?
The points doubling....c'mon. That is not even an issue.

In their obsession for balance in competition games they forget the spirit of the game. But the problem is not the rulebook. Never will be a perfectly balanced rulebok; the problem is the players who squeeze their lists to win at all costs. And these types of players will always exist. So, stop updating the rulebook constantly, because it already tires ...

No, I love Warhammer not only for the rules, games or miniatures but also for their stories: about Gotrek and Felix, about the Empire, about Nagash, about Von carsteins, about the War of the Beard, etc...

I pretty much agree with all of this though.
The stories though....We can thank GW copyright stuff for all that.

The nice thing is that with 9th age the fluff is free use. So lots of good writers can make as many new stories as they wish.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline jtrowell

• Members
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
For me it's Kings of War, even more so now that they released the historical version with a compatible ruleset so we get even more options for human armies

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2017, 10:32:39 AM »
Short answer : Yes.

That said, I'm afraid I will be forced to try AoS at some point, if only to welcome new players to our club...
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2017, 10:39:13 AM »
I have been in limbo since my divorce in June 2014. Missed the chance to play Wood elves with their last magnificent army book.

For me the loss of the official fluff was such a hard hit it was difficult to get past it mentally. Really tough.

Now, I am finally coming round I believe. But my elves will not be the same. But by combining my WE and HE I will be able to assemble a KoW elves army. I just need to do it and play it.

I am going to make a new "Empire" army using the League of Rhordia list from KoW, Uncharted empires.

Still, what I miss the most is the loss of the heroes. It is a bit silly since I really like games with massive troop formations but the ability to customize your heroes, give them kit and personalitizes meant so much. Giving them one pesky item as you do in KoW feels very... meh...
that mighty and so on.

And the same goes with Age of Sigmar I guess. May have been converted to play it had it kept the ability to kit and arm your personal hero in a fashion you wanted to as your very Avatar of war.
Removing that removed another layer of personalizing the game in a way that was not just in your head but that affected the game. I never really went for optimized heroes. It was their personality that showed through via their wargear.

At the moment such things cannot be done in battle games save 9th ed and it seems so much hazzle to get into it. Me and my friend Tom likes the idea of having real books in our hands and we can do that with KoW.

However, Frostgrave have appeared on the horizon for me. And my girlfriend found it appealling too. She is a bit bothered by having to fight with me on the tabletop, since she really likes RPG were you co-operate with  the other players. But we will try the Thaw of the Liche lord with promises some co-operation aswell and I convinced here such small warband fracasses could be considered as powerstruggling between two questmasters who send out teams to do their bidding and sometimes interests collide.
I think she felt quite okay with it.

I hope that I could get her in on some co-operative gaming with KoW later, having one army each and battling my mate Tom who can field a larger army.

Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2017, 10:41:45 AM »
Also, if AoS came out with some "Free people" being just ordinary women and men protecting their homes, like the good old Empire or elven milita, and not just shining superheroes I may give it a try. I could never get into Space Marines properly and I guess it is the same reason I cannot get into AoS is the focus on larger than life soldiers, not just heroes.

Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!