home

Author Topic: Necron leaks  (Read 3134 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Necron leaks
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:38:55 PM »
http://valientesguerreros.blogspot.com.es/

Interesting. Some buffs, some nerfs. Strangely, Wraiths got even better than they used to be - 5 points more expensive per model, but with +1T. Monoliths, on the other hand, keep their issues. Someone really ought to tell GW about the interaction of ordinance with other weapon types. Perhaps they genuinely don't know.

Croissants got 30 points more expensive, Tesla extra hits don't trigger on snapshots anymore (both fine I think). RP got reworked completely - it's now basically a super FNP roll. Huh. Interesting, and potentially quite a bit better.

Flayed ones look pretty good actually. Strange! Crypteks lost all the harbinger stuff. Booh hiss! On the other hand they're now walking res orbs.

Will have to do some digesting of all that, but I'd say it looks pretty good so far. Some stuff looks still as bad as ever, some got nerfed into the cold, cold grave (no one will ever take mindshackle scarabs again) but there's some nice buffs and reworks in there.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:42:03 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Sig

• Members
Re: Necron leaks
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:46:13 AM »
Glad to see scarabs go. Croissant change good. Wraiths getting better is bad. Monoliths sucking is bad.

Need to see the book to get a sense of it though.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
Scarabs aren't gone, but they went up to 20 ppm, and now they just autowound/autoglance on 6's and don't pull down AV anymore. So still OK.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »
Sorry, meant Mind Shackle variety. Scarabs themselves were fine! Felt really dangerous but weren't hard to deal with, very much reminded me of the spider robots in Lost in Space.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:26:11 PM »
Yeah, loss of MSS is a bit sad for me (strangely, I always had a lot of fun when my opponents models kept punching themselves...  :-D)

Also, sempiternal weave is gone and phase shifter is down to 4++... but I think it's not that bad with the new RP. There are several ways to buff RP to 4+, and you get that on every wound, not just after you drop.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:33:27 PM »
I always found wraiths nasty. did people not use them? surprise they get a buff.

glad that MSS are nerf, they were absolutely lame. Croissant and tesla needed a nerf as we discussed previously!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »
Wraiths were already borderline OP. Now they probably are.

Changes sound decent overall, nothing ground breaking though. It seems like they want to stabilize the armies and move away from codexes getting the big new kits so they can release them whenever they please in dataslates, campaigns and White Dwarf. Haven't had a new unit in a codex for a long time! The Gorkanaught is the last one I remember, did DE get anything?

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 12:49:18 PM »
Yeah, Wraiths are definitely very scary now. Basically same as before, a bit more expensive, but T5 instead of T4. Oh, whipcoils were kinda nerfed. They now just add flat +3 I, meaning they do fuck all when you charge a target in cover (Wraiths don't have 'nades). On the other hand it would be better against something like a big squad of marines in the open. Kind of a wash with the coils.

I guess if you don't run something like a classic wraithwing of 3x6 (which I don't think anyone here is inclined to do) it's still fine.
Come to think of it, it's kind of funny that one kind of spam build (wraithwing) has been beloved of minmaxers in every single edition of that codex, and got a bit better every time...

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 01:25:53 PM »
is the crypteks losing harbinger stuff all the customisation and "fun" weird powers they could buy?

GW seem to slurp all the fun and flavour out of the base codex, and insert it into the formations and supplements.

Pass the machete.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 01:38:14 PM »
It makes it easier to balance i'd imagine. They have been achieving that a lot more. Gone are the days of relentless power creep.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »
is the crypteks losing harbinger stuff all the customisation and "fun" weird powers they could buy?

Yes.

GW seem to slurp all the fun and flavour out of the base codex, and insert it into the formations and supplements.

Kind of seems that way.
I have decided to embrace my new formation overlords and roll with it for now. The game has moved on, it makes no sense to linger in the past and pretend half the stuff available to you doesn't exist. Also, I kinda like that it allows for mini updates during a codexes shelf life.

What I don't like is the pricing of the digital stuff, and the fact that I can't even get it in print... but hey, that's what the internet is for.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 01:50:57 PM »
Again I really like the idea, but hate the execution.

Why release a supplement that's the same price as base codex.

Forcing you to buy 2 books for the fun stuff is lame.

although I read they're releasing army books in paperback now, which is nice.

Pass the machete.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »
The rules for supplements are usually only a page though, just check out a 40k news site and you'll get everything you need to know. Only buy them if you want the fluff. I really like the Farsight one, I have to say. Expands his character immensely, made me want to base an army on him.

I'm not a fan of 40k right now. Some formations are absolutely game-breaking (Firebase) and it's become far too rock/paper/scissors. That said, if you have solid restrictions and stick to the actual codexes 40k has never been better in my opinion. For a casual game without all the extra garbage it's fantastic.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »
If you minmax for all you can it's certainly not in a good place, balance wise. However, I don't think that's really a concern for anyone in this particular forum.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »
It is for me, since most of my 40k is at tournaments these days. My regular playing partner moved to another city. I can't really be bothered any more, the formations stuff has ruined tournaments.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »
I am with Aldaris.  I am baffled about GW's inability to understand how they made the Monolith suck.

Lych guard got way better.  T5 4++ at 30 points is great.

Triarchs got a great boost too with their gun being revised.

I'll miss seeing the cryptek customizations.

MSS had to go.  They were brokenly amazing!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 12:12:22 PM »
I love the Triarch model, it's my favourite in the range. Hope they get used a bit more.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
OK, some of the formations stuff is very abuseable. I'll have to make sure not to take too much nasty stuff. (you can take a formation of one spyder, one unit of wraiths and one unit of scarabs, and the spyder can give itself and every unit in the formation within 12" RP, shred or fleet. Wraiths with RP... yeah. Better not spam that. Good thing is it's only a single spyder you need to kill to switch that off) On the other hand, it looks like you can build an army that looks like it was taken straight from a WD battle report, and it'll be OK. That's great news to me!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:39:59 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »
I dunno, a single Spyder isn't too hard to kill. He has to be close by, so he's going to get into trouble. It looks OK. Strong, but not "holy shit Tau Firebase" strong.

Now to give Eldar and Tau the same treatment... SM bikes too... and we're in for a good time.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 02:42:26 PM »
One biggie: if you base the army on the Decurion detachment instead of a regular CAD, you get +1 to RP across the board. Which is a hugely powerful bonus.

On the other hand, I just tried to make a few armies with that method, and man, are points gone fast. The buy-in tax alone can easily cost 1000 points or more if you don't just want to plop down 2 barebones warrior squads of 10 and one immortals of 5.

So I guess the gist so far is: it's really, really good, but also really, really expensive if you want all the cool bonuses.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 02:44:04 PM »
As it should be! It's actually looking fairly competent.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm liking it more and more. Could be the best job they've done with a codex in a long time.

Reserving final judgement until I can have a leisurely sitdown with the whole book and get a couple of games in.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 03:41:13 PM »
One biggie: if you base the army on the Decurion detachment instead of a regular CAD, you get +1 to RP across the board. Which is a hugely powerful bonus.
they did that with deldar too

all the best stuff in the supplement.

I think they maybe screwed the pooch with the deldar book.

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »
Decurion isn't a suplement though.  Or at least thats what I assumed.  I thought it was included in the book.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »
ah, just the first detachment choice out of the main one then.

Pass the machete.