home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 87475 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #575 on: May 03, 2019, 07:36:13 PM »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #576 on: May 04, 2019, 07:27:55 AM »
Watched the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Fun.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #577 on: May 07, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
Netflixbinging on "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries".  Yes, yet another amateur murder solving sleuth.  Its light and fun and set in late 20's Australia.

Who knew Australia in 1927 had so much high society?  I didn't.  It has all the usual story plots, and all usual stereo-types.  But its fun and silly and I get to play "Who do you think is the culprit?" with the wife.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #578 on: May 07, 2019, 10:47:57 PM »
Netflixbinging on "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries".  Yes, yet another amateur murder solving sleuth.  Its light and fun and set in late 20's Australia.

Who knew Australia in 1927 had so much high society?  I didn't.  It has all the usual story plots, and all usual stereo-types.  But its fun and silly and I get to play "Who do you think is the culprit?" with the wife.

Love this series! Still waiting for season 3 I think.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #579 on: May 08, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »

My great grand mother was a upper class 'Flapper' in Sydney in the 20's. They were fortunate enough to not lose a single penny in the depression.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #580 on: May 23, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #581 on: June 13, 2019, 02:36:26 AM »
So has anyone heard of this show on syfy called "Krypton" that takes place 2 generations before the events of Superman?  I have never heard of it but Season 2 just premiered. Zod and his followers look a lot like NOD troops from C&C Tiberium Sun so it piqued my interest.

As far as I can tell Val-El, patriarch of the El family, is arrested and executed by the corrupt leadership of Krypton. The El's are stripped of their noble privileges and forced to live in the slums. Val-El's son, Seg, figures out that his father was arrested because he found a terrible secret. Then some people from the future come back in time to save Krypton. An earth man named Adam Strange and General Zod.

From what I can tell its one part Dune, one part Red Faction, and a dash of Game of Thrones. Val-El is even played by the same actor as Barristan Selmy from GoT.

Edit: Oh, also the actor that plays Zod sounds VERY similar to Patrick Stuart, at least in the speech I heard him give in Season 2's premier. I may go back and watch season 1.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:41:38 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #582 on: June 13, 2019, 01:55:56 PM »
So, youtube suggests the weirdest things sometimes. Recently it suggested episode 6 of the series Super Science Friends which I had never heard of before. So I watched it. Holy butts it was good! The premise is basically famous scientists throughout history team up as a super hero team.

Winston Churchill ends up Nick Fury-ing the whole thing by getting Nikola Tesla (Electric powers and Tech) Marie Curie (Radiation Powers that functions like a green lantern ring) Charles Darwin (the ability to morph into animals), Sigmund Freud (Telepathic, but only regarding people's sexual thoughts), Tapputi (As the world's first chemist she can make tonics and perfumes), and Z3 the first computer. They were lead by Albert Einstein (Who was a super saiyan?) before he was murdered. Churchill clones him and now he's a teenager. They team up and fight zombie cosmonauts, Thomas Edison, and even Shiva. It looks like the first 5 episodes have a more internet comic design to them and episode 6 is an anime.  Honestly the anime episode 6 is very well done. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a one off though.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5tnqjmvOpVZ4AgjBCQ8dmA

― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #583 on: June 13, 2019, 02:35:41 PM »
Subscribed!
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #584 on: June 14, 2019, 02:01:29 PM »
Looks like Marie Curie did a piece on Hydrogen and she uses a fucking melta gun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAhtl6oNzsw
― Jake the Dog

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #585 on: June 18, 2019, 01:46:56 AM »
Binged "Hilda" on Netflix with my wife and daughter.  Very whimsical and fun show.  Like a chill version of adventure time.  Its about a little girl who lives in the wilderness with her mom and encounters Norse creatures.  She deals with trolls that are rocks during the day and alive and destructive at night, mountain sized giants, and even tiny elves that want to evict her (but she cannot see them until she fills out the proper paperwork). I believe its based on a graphic novel of the same name and written by a guy who lived in Norway for a time when he was a kid. Wondering if anyone else has watched it (including our Scandinavian members). My father-in-law who loathes cartoons got quite invested in it. We loved it and I think its worth checking out. 

Saw some of these with my daughter and loved them. She's binged on them at least 4 times in the past 6 months.

My wife and I just finished Good Omens. A lot of fun. More on target and more entertaining than American Gods has been. (Sadly -- I loved boht books.)

I want to post a GIF of my favorite scene, but at the risk of revealing spoilers, I'll just post this tiny part of it -- hopefully those who have seen it will know what I'm getting at.  ::heretic::

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #586 on: June 18, 2019, 03:14:11 PM »
half way through good omens and really really enjoying. So silly but perfect, tonally.

iirc, the book shifts slightly away from being so focused on aziraphale and crowley in the later stages and suffered for it, so will be interested to see if the show stays so strong.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #587 on: June 18, 2019, 08:56:10 PM »
I finished Good Omens on the weekend and loved it. SO much better then American Gods turned out. I was quite disappointed with the changes in American Gods, but the changes in Good Omens come across much better and less intrusive. I was particularly bothered when I heard that Gabriel, who's not a character in the books, would become a 'main' character, but it actually turned out to be well done.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #589 on: June 23, 2019, 04:01:13 PM »
So I mentioned before that I have been watching Fraggle Rock with my 1 year old, and by golly is this show awesome. I did watch a bit of it as a kid, but now seeing it with adult eyes I am amazed at some of the subject matters and writing done for what is essentially a kids HBO show. For example there was an episode where Boober and Red get trapped in a cave in and there isn't much hope of rescue, so the talk about death and how they are ready to die. That's some heavy shit to drop on a kid! Especially by today's standards for kid shows, but they handled it very well that not only a kid could understand but learn from. There was another episode dealing with Doozers and their society norms being challenged by someone that didn't want to do Doozer work. Not because she was lazy as other Doozers would mock her about, but because she would rather draw and design instead of build. There is also a couple of straight up terrifying episodes like when the two rat characters leave the Trash Heap and end up getting abducted by an evil guy that wants to enslave them, and another where this blob thing rolls into town and eats Doozers. I am just amazed at how well written these episodes are. The characters are great too. As a kid I really liked Gobo and Wembley but watching it now I am realizing that Boober is probably the best character out of the main 5 Fraggles. Every one of his episodes are just very well done. I don't think I appreciated his character as a kid because he always seemed like the coward "scaredy cat" guy whereas Gobo was brave. Red is probably the worst character of the group but her flaws allow her to learn how to be a better person albeit stubbornly. We're a ways into season 3 so far, but wow this is probably the best HBO series of all time.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #590 on: June 25, 2019, 03:06:38 PM »

My wife just sent me this...  :icon_lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/20/petition-netflix-cancel-amazon-prime-good-omens-christian-neil-gaiman-terry-pratchett

If they are petitioning netflix, they should rename it to be for Lucifer and/or Sabrina instead. Ah wells!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #591 on: July 06, 2019, 08:18:12 PM »
started watching Stranger things 3 ..1st episode very good
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #592 on: July 08, 2019, 05:51:56 PM »
Binged first 2 season of Good Place.  Funniest thing I've seen in years.  Danson really is amazing (actually all the actors are amazing).  Crisp, in character, consistent writing.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #593 on: July 09, 2019, 11:09:26 AM »
Finished Stranger Things 3.  I really don't watch a lot of tv anymore.  Pretty much the only show that keeps me coming back.  I thought it was a really good season.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #594 on: July 09, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
Binged first 2 season of Good Place.  Funniest thing I've seen in years.  Danson really is amazing (actually all the actors are amazing).  Crisp, in character, consistent writing.

great show
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #595 on: July 09, 2019, 04:57:08 PM »
Stranger things 3 was absolutely fantastic !!! highly recommend this series  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #596 on: July 09, 2019, 06:43:50 PM »
"The Boys" looks interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06rueu_fh30

The premise is a CIA black ops team is put together to "take care" of any superheroes that get out of line. I know its based off a comic series.

The series is set in a world where superheroes exist. However, most of the superheroes in the series' universe are corrupted by their celebrity status and often engage in reckless behavior, compromising the safety of the world. The story follows a small clandestine CIA squad, informally known as "The Boys", led by Butcher and also consisting of Mother's Milk, the Frenchman, the Female, and new addition "Wee" Hughie Campbell, who are charged with monitoring the superhero community, often leading to gruesome confrontations and dreadful results.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #597 on: July 13, 2019, 04:18:48 AM »

We did season 1-3 in about a month. So good.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #598 on: July 23, 2019, 05:21:58 PM »
As mentioned before, I had read Good Omens fairly recently, but my wife had me wait to watch the show until after our child was born (old world superstition) so we finally watched it. I couldn't help but compare it to the book the entire way through and I must say I like the book better, however the show is also good.  They add new scenes to give the book readers something new to see instead of beat by beat the same story. The ending is essentially the same thing but they go about it differently after the climax. My two biggest complaints about the show 1) the Narrator's pacing (I felt the audio-book had better pacing regarding the narration, and the show narration just seemed rushed) 2) The story seemed rushed. It could be that to me it seemed like it took the entire last week of earth to get through everything whereas the show makes everything happen over the course of the last 3ish days. Now I must admit these are nitpicks and that is one advantage the book will have over any TV show or book is plenty of time to delve into everything. There were many more nit picks I had, but they are just nit picks because I like the book and YMMV.  The show was still great and the new things they did, they did well.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #599 on: July 24, 2019, 01:54:23 AM »
I was a big fan of Good Omens as well. Very similar, I still like the book more but the show was very well done. Crowely and Aziraphale had excellent casting and played off each other very well.

I'm rewatching the Expanse to get ready for Season 4 coming later in the year, and I've managed to get my folks into it as well. All I had to do was put the first episode on in the background while people were sitting around and within ten minutes its all "What is this?", "Oh this looks cool." etc.