home

Author Topic: Armor for monster mounts  (Read 23888 times)

Offline Hurin Thalion

• Members
Re: Armor for monster mounts
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 01:31:09 AM »
That is one seriously awesome looking Griffon! Exactly what he'd need in the way of armour, too. Some stuff around the midsection to make sure his heart, lungs, etc don't get pierced by a lucky arrow or spear; and lower leg protection so he doesn't get hamstrung by swordsmen!
Out of Doubt, Out of Dark
to the Day's Rising I Came
Singing in the Sun, Sword Unsheathing

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
While an armor save is an excellent idea for griffins, there is absolutely no reason to add a complicated and unneeded armor option. Simply give a griffin a 4+ armor save and call it a day.

That's definitely something I could live with.  Simple and addresses the issue.

The armor option would be cool for something like 20 pts.

Giving you the option for armor would be cool, too.  I wonder how that would work if they were to release a new griffon, though?

It would be great though, if you could combine that with the 4+ ward from the holy relic, or the warrior priests' prayer. something to help fight off the cannons and bolt throwers of the world.

Since I've recently gotten a pegasus I was really hoping that a ward would transfer over, but alas, nothing.  Combined it may be a bit too strong, but as it stands this could also be a conceivable option.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline von Bildhofen

• Members
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
It makes sense to me that the empire would try to armour their mount to - they got the technology for it. I think 4+ is a bit to much - i would say 5+ and only one armoured option.

Offline Rune

• Members
  • - Fullplates and halberds -
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Victor. While an armor save is an excellent idea for griffins, there is absolutely no reason to add a complicated and unneeded armor option. Simply give a griffin a 4+ armor save and call it a day. It'll be a great excuse for GW to produce an awesome armored plastic griffin model with both human and elven riders.
This is something I've been thinking for a couple of years now.

That plus a points reduction. But, let's face it, even the points reduction would be sufficient. 150 and I'd start using him again. Like, seriously. The model's awesome, so it's a damn shame you can't really use it.

Or as I always say, you can use anything - just deploy - but killing your inner child in the process just because your behind hurts so much after the game just isn't right. :|

And look at the Dark elven Manticore... Just look at him and tell me the current rules for a Griffon are justified...  :cry:
"Oh, to hades with the manners... He is a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise

The Imperial duchy of Grandbelos
Wolfenstein, the Cult of Ulric
Magocracy of Arcanschloss

Offline Sir Lukas von Markov

• Members
  • Trust in Sigmar for Deliverance
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »
the dragon gets a 3+ scaly skin save, whats the big deal with a griffon getting a 4+ i thikn its an awesome idea, BRING ON THE BARDED GRIFFON!!! :biggriin:
I bring my armybook, my laptop with armybuilder, and a cotton swab I wiped on my neighbors cold-sores.  If I catch the guy cheating, so help me he is getting a face full of herpes...

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2009, 10:30:01 PM »
NONE SHALL PASS!!!
to the armoured griffon picture, which was awesome!

I just ordered my griffon general through my local hobby store and when i put it together I am going to play it with every army so I can get the hang of it. . .

Never know, I might begin reporting the battles with him in it.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Jayv

• Members
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »
Do we even need more protection for monstrous mounts? Surely there are enough flying terror causing creatures at the moment and some armies already have an extremely difficult time dealing with them regardless of extra armour!
Although I agree with the change on the price for the gryphon.

Don't use the under priced Hydra as an example! :D
Double Ones

Offline Generalisimo

• Members
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 09:33:16 PM »
It would be really cool giving him a cannon that the general operates and the griffon holds! :biggriin:No, no armor can be given to a griffin, it just does not fit right :dry:, even though i would like it. Changing the points cost to 150 or so would be fair enough.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2009, 09:45:58 AM »
what is the current cost of a griffon as it stands in the High elf book?

and yes to an armour option for griffons and pegasi, every picture in an empire related way that has a griffon in it they are all wearing barding. I mean, even deathclaw has barding?!?!?!
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::