home

Author Topic: Questions from a village wantwit. Trolls.  (Read 52918 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Questions from the village idiot
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 06:17:44 PM »
I personally always thought of them as officers and the Grand Masters inner circle. Trusted veterans who'd often be put in charge of chapter houses, or the current GM's friends depending on the group itself.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »
Has anyone tried putting a bulge in the GW castle wall  :icon_question:
Tried boiling water and steam from kettle neither made the plastic pliable enough to push outward.

In the end out came the old heatgun. So melting from the back, the castle wall has bulged nicely, but here a tip from Uncle Scrubber boys and girls DO NOT push melted plastic with your thumb or finger. Gosh it did hurt. Now have thumb without fingerprint.
To get the wall caving inward still heat from the back to soften plastic then push from front of wall. First going to tool box for large wooden headed screwdriver to do the pushing. Wood better than plastic handle as melted plastic does not stick so much.
Do not melt to much as you will loose the stone pattern on the otherside or melt right through. Better to do it little by little.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:13:08 PM by scrubber »

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »
Finally made a start on the Reiksguard Chapter House. Starting with the outwalls, however when it comes to the corner not sure what to do.
Richard Williams book says that it a fortress of its own, surrounded by dwelling below the height of the walls. So should there be towers at each corner or should I do them as shown in the picture below. :icon_question:

Will fill in the corner with greenstuff.

This Chapter house also does not appear on any map I have seen of Altdorf, but Delmar enters the capital via the western gate.

Offline scrubber

• Members
Re: Questions from a village idiot on helmets
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 09:09:18 PM »
Looking for helmets with skull face masks, like those worn by roman cavalry or in Gladiator, the silver face mask from the fight scene in the arena with the tigers involved. Only need five. Any suggestions.

Edited 18th October 2015.
In the end went for horned helmet from demigryph set.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:25:21 PM by scrubber »

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 01:53:19 AM »
Looking for helmets with skull face masks, like those worn by roman cavalry or in Gladiator, the silver face mask from the fight scene in the arena with the tigers involved. Only need five. Any suggestions.

So we are talking the faux face style helm ala historical types or the Warhammer style skull masks of the Ostermark Death's Head types?
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 10:00:41 PM »
Thinking of making a small unit of Knights of Sacred Scyths. Not sure yet whether they will fight with the empire, or have been turned as hinted in their history and have them fight along side Vlad army.
Don't really mind the style so long as they will look OK on GW empire knights.

Also if I gave knights a great weapon instead of lance, what arms are recommended ? The greatsword arms just dont look right, to puny to the larger knight torso.

Offline Sceleris

• Members
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2015, 03:07:20 PM »
The armoured greatsword arms don't look to bad.
The ones from the old mordheim 'hairy head' sprue?
Chaos warrior arms (if you take the over the top shoulder pads off)?
Plastic dwarf hammerers?

Offline scrubber

• Members
Re: Questions from a village idiot on arrow slots
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2015, 09:05:26 PM »
I want to add arrow slots to some of the GW fortress towers, however having difficulty finding anyone who makes them. Found some on hordings but they are not what I'm after. Can anyone help.Pleaseeeee.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
I'd probably have a tower at each corner of the Reiksguard Chapter House.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline scrubber

• Members
Re: Questions from a village idiot on unknown figure
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »
Clearing boxes today and came across 4 of these.

Does anyone recognise these figures and can help me identify them :icon_question:

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 09:32:06 PM »
I'd have to look them up to know for sure, but it looks like it's from the old Slann army. Would mid 80s make sense to you?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »
Hmmm ... hadn"t seen one of those before.  :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 10:48:26 PM »
I was playing warhammer back then and that looks unlike anything citadel did - I had slann cold one riders and they were nothing like that.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2015, 11:09:43 PM »
A Grenadier miniature maybe .. or Ral Partha. Based on the quality, I'd say it's from the early 80s.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:12:21 PM by Victor »

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2015, 11:40:15 PM »
Likely to be very early 80's, that's when I was heavily into dungeons & dragons not warhammer.
The rider reminds me of old citadel D&D lizard walking with a spear.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 04:01:15 AM »
Ja, the rider was what made me think it might be from the slann, I've got that lizard with spear sitting in a box.

But Grenadier also makes a lot of sense, we mixed a lot of those into our warhammer stuff because the store we could get to occasionally stocked more of their stuff than they did citadel.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 10:19:44 PM »
It bears a passing resemblance to a very early Citadel Salaman on Giant Strider, but it's actually an Asgard Minatures Lizardman on Land dragon (code FM64). Four of them together is a nice find!

Like the similar Citadel model, the design is certainly influenced by the AD&D monster Fire Newts (or was it Firenewts? ) which were smaller red skinned fire-breathing lizardmen, basically. The Giant Strider, which could spit fireballs, was their favoured mount. Probably why you painted yours red! The early Fantasy miniatures industry was very much entwined with the rise of (A)D&D (and other RPGs) - Citadel Miniatures started in 1979, Warhammer first appeared in 1983 and the distinctive background fluff comes even later.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »
Thankyou Shadespyre, a man of much knowledge. Here's photograph of the whole content of the tin.

Most now on e-bay apart from the Lizards on land dragon and the red dragon. Not sure what to do with then yet.
There is another tin yet, looked to be orcs and little goblins. And found one of my very old teddy bears, not much fur left, but he was loved.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2015, 07:40:03 PM »
Keeping the lizards on lizards is good! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »
I've not seen one of those dark elf eagle riders in a long long time. Some nice stuff you had there.

Offline scrubber

• Members
Re: Questions from a village wantwit on ziterdes
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2015, 09:32:15 PM »
Not done much on the Altdorf project, but did start digging out my building to make up the city. Oh how few I have.
Looked at Ziterdes last night, anyone got any of their building, do they fit in scale wise with warhammer figures. Also so need a nice tavern, any suggestion, no silly money like Grand Manor though please.

I also need a nice bear for the Ice Queen to ride. Again any suggestions.

Edited 19th October 2015.
From cave bear attacking from DeeZee miniatures. Figure sits fairly well, but needs greenstuff to hide the gaps.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:28:32 PM by scrubber »

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
Re: Questions from a village wantwit on ziterdes buildings
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2015, 11:23:37 PM »
Without owning any myself, I think the Ziterde terrain is specifically made for 28mm, and should fit quite well.

You can see some scale comparisons here and here.

Offline knightofthelance

• Members
Re: Questions from a village wantwit on ziterdes buildings
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 03:08:39 AM »
Reaper makes some decent bears for really cheap. I'm not sure how the ice queen will fit on them though. She fits really nicely on the old elf animal hander bear though. The pose is a bit liner, and it can sometimes be hard to find though.

Offline scrubber

• Members
Re: Questions from a village wantwit on Ar-Ulric
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2015, 08:34:03 PM »
What happened to Emil Valgeir Ar-Ulric as he does not appear in end-times ?

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Questions from a village wantwit on Ar-Ulric
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2015, 09:32:26 PM »
If I am not mistaken, he is mentioned in End Times: Nagash. But in any case, as the Warhammer World is destroyed, it is rather clear what ultimately happened to him.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)