home

Author Topic: Old Board Games  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Old Board Games
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
Not really deserving its own thread,  (It does now  :engel: )  I thought I would drop this here. Kind of sourced from political frustration. My lifelong friend Brian Train is a war game developer, lives in BC and came up with a variant to an old game. Kinda fun and when I thought of my feelings about a breakup of Canada, I had to laugh.

https://brtrain.wordpress.com/2019/10/30/qwexit-a-scenario-for-canadian-civil-war/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:20:28 PM by Midaski »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Old Board Games
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 12:05:50 PM »
Not really deserving its own thread, I thought I would drop this here. Kind of sourced from political frustration. My lifelong friend Brian Train is a war game developer, lives in BC and came up with a variant to an old game. Kinda fun and when I thought of my feelings about a breakup of Canada, I had to laugh.

https://brtrain.wordpress.com/2019/10/30/qwexit-a-scenario-for-canadian-civil-war/
Ha!  A board game by SPI ... I vaguely recall seeing this in my youth.  Think it would be neat to get a copy and play it.

A read through that guys post says it requires having four players.  Hmmm ... Artoban, Gankom, Dwi and me ... after i get my pass port.  Just picked up my birth certificate this past weekend, just need to fill out the paperwork and submit.  :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 12:30:43 PM »
Not really deserving its own thread, I thought I would drop this here. Kind of sourced from political frustration. My lifelong friend Brian Train is a war game developer, lives in BC and came up with a variant to an old game. Kinda fun and when I thought of my feelings about a breakup of Canada, I had to laugh.

Ha!  A board game by SPI ... I vaguely recall seeing this in my youth.  Think it would be neat to get a copy and play it.

A read through that guys post says it requires having four players.  Hmmm ... Artoban, Gankom, Dwi and me ... after i get my pass port.  Just picked up my birth certificate this past weekend, just need to fill out the paperwork and submit.  :icon_wink:

Sounds great!
SPI - was a staple of life when I was younger. Loved the company, it’s games and articles. Had a supscription and bought some of its gigantic games - CNA - 2000 counters, six maps, 200 pages of rules, battalion/company level of the 1940-42 North African campaign. Every unit to land in Libya and Egypt up to the great retreat. Loved that game. Bought it in ‘79 for $70 and sold it 2 years ago for $200.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 02:14:29 PM »

Very interesting reading. I would love to play a game like that. I wonder how the US would respond. I imagine there would be a lot of gun and ammo sales over the border areas. But the Canadian military doesn't have a lot of the same armored forces as the US has, so I guess an armored unit would be like a Stryker brigade at the most. But there would be a lot of backwoods militia action I am sure, which is always ugly.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 12:25:47 AM »

Very interesting reading. I would love to play a game like that. I wonder how the US would respond. I imagine there would be a lot of gun and ammo sales over the border areas. But the Canadian military doesn't have a lot of the same armored forces as the US has, so I guess an armored unit would be like a Stryker brigade at the most. But there would be a lot of backwoods militia action I am sure, which is always ugly.

You can check out his website and all his games/contributions. I have to say that he was the one who got me interested in war games.
We met in grade 6 and went from there. I’ve played many games and only a couple with other players - mainly him.
I was thinking of that game CNA and looked it up. I think I was nuts to try to play this. Made it off and on for a year, had my uncle who was had a printing business, print off all the TO&E sheets, division, battalion, sheets etc. Drove him crazy. This was 79-80 or so and I was 14-15.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Campaign_for_North_Africa
My obsession with gaming has deep roots lol
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 02:47:59 AM »
You played their Campaign for North Africa Game?  If I recall, that game was wacked in detail.  I can imagine playing something like that, but it'd probably take more than a day.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 04:24:21 AM »
You played their Campaign for North Africa Game?  If I recall, that game was wacked in detail.  I can imagine playing something like that, but it'd probably take more than a day.

Yes. It was really a cool game. The air game had individual pilots that could be promoted as their kill tally accrued. Each battalion of tanks, infantry were broken into a number of points representing squads of men and tanks. The vehicles could break down, be damaged and hauled off the battlefield by repair crews. They repaired and retrained the points and they were assigned back to battalions. I tried to send the captured repaired English tanks points to the Italians to give them a boost. It was pretty wild. You developed attachments for each unit. There were the Italian blackshirt divisions (CCNN ) that had a zero moral level and faired a bit better than the standard troops so you would lead the attacks with them. The bersaglieri units were moral +1 and were up for anything but just not enough of them.
Elements of the 15th light panzer division were awesome but had to be attacking always so were always under strength.
An amazing game. The guy who sold me the game (he still runs his store- Fandom 2) told me it was impossible to play it alone. I proved him wrong but it was hard.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 09:33:22 AM »
I don't know, we're up to six posts one these old board games already.  Could be enough for a thread. :icon_wink:

- - -

That sounds like wonderfully fun detail!  Oh to be in retirement with nothing else better to do than spend some time playing this kind of game just for the heck of it.  Hold on to your copies, never know when they might come in handy some day.

When I  was young, I'd play just about anything, didn't matter the length, complexity, number of pieces, whatever.  The problem was always that I couldn't find a co-conspirator for such fun.  I had 5 siblings and they rarely wanted to play, probably cause most of the time I would win.

And so I'd play solitaire. One side and then the other.  Didn't work for hidden movement games, but everything else was fair game.

I enjoyed mostly Avalon Hill Games ... Alexander the Great, Gettysburg, Intermediate and Advanced Gettysburg, Victory in the Pacific, Midway, Squad Leader.  There were others.  SPI games mostly were the ones I got in their magazines, although had a few of their board games.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 08:58:14 PM »
Hooray! Thanks Mids.
Now it’s time to start talkin about old games. Let’s here some favourites.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 09:04:08 PM »
Well as long as we're at it, this thread could be combined with this one over here in the Historical area ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52746.0

And we got this one over here in the hoistorical area for board game kickstarters ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52841.0

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 01:06:35 PM »
Just another link to another link on war games.  Very interesting read.
That’s my game designer friend playing one of his games.  Top right hand corner.

https://brtrain.wordpress.com/2019/11/08/getting-the-story/
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020