home

Author Topic: Conversion Contests: Front Rank and Unit Filler; ends March 9th  (Read 42698 times)

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: Conversion Contests: Front Rank and Unit Filler; ends March 9th
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »
Still awesome work though! I've only just noticed that your guys are old.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2008, 11:38:35 PM »
Here is my entry for the front rank conversion.

It's more of a kitbash, with the odd bit of greenstuff to fill some shoulder gaps, and some cutting up, repositioning and drilling for the command.

Before this competition was announced, I had no idea how to make the command for these guys, but this competition gave me inspiration. These are the front rank of my Crathegin Swordsmen. The Crathegins are based near Araby (still yet to 100% commit to a desert location) so they often battle Orcs , Ogres and Tomb Kings.

Parts are:
Legs - Militia sprue
Torso - Dark Elf sprue
Arms - Armoured cuirass arms from Militia sprue
Helmets - from the 6th ed state troop sprue or the knight sprue (with the panther removed)
Shields - Dwarf warriors sprue
Champion Sword - Mordhiem sprue
Banner - High Elf archer sprue AND Tomb King warrior sprue
Trumpet - Bretonnian Men-at-Arms command sprue

WiP

Finished

I wanted a worn kinda look, with a specific cultural feel. Thats why I went for the battle-worn bronze shields and angular torso armour. The curved swords also helped with this feel, as well as the helmets with cloth wrapped around them. The banner will eventually have a design on it, at the moment again I can't decide. This not being a painting competition, I wasn't too worried about it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 05:16:52 AM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2008, 02:05:49 AM »
Great job!  :biggriin: There are some pretty cool entries already!  The rest of you, time is running out!

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2008, 04:55:18 AM »
Man... first day of Uni, and until today all I've done was enjoy the last of the summer holidays getting drunk or otherwise unconscious lol.

I've done 2 out of 5 minis lol.

@ Warlord - fantastic stuff mate... I don't even think I can get mine painted!!!

sj

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
Nice work! They look awesome. I was thinking about doing a filler for my spearmen as I need 5 more. But I can't decide what to do..

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline CaptScott

• Members
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2008, 04:54:25 AM »
Very cool Warlord, those Dark Elf torsos worked out quite well.

As to my entry it was going to be front rank but now looks like it will be a unit filler.  Finding the time to paint is going to be a problem however.
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!

Offline bornbm01

• Members
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2008, 09:41:58 AM »
Presenting The Cavalier Swordsmen front rank  (thank heavens its not the whole unit! :happy:  )

Based on the Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps uniform and 'standing man' logo
featuring: shoulder wings, sashes, sabers, rose on shields, gauntlets, standing man logo on standard, gear as banner top, feathered hats

More pictures and info can be found here:  
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=20386.0

WIP

Final

Happy Gaming :::cheers:::

- Brendan

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2008, 09:55:32 AM »
First up is my unitfiller, dont have any good before painting pics though. I was feeling that it was alot easier to paint all the parts separately. Hope you can live with that :) As you can see its a unitfiller for my flagelants.

Hope you like it!
My gaming/painting blog http://diceandbrush.blogspot.com/

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
Next one is my front row entry. And this is my spearmen under hevy fire of arrows. Dont think i will manage to paint all of them before March 9th though. But hope that i can atleast can paint one of them to see how they will look painted. Ive done some minor GS work on them, made boots/shoes, furs and changed the legs on standard bearer to stand on one knee aswell as made a better pose for the musican. Hope you like them.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2008, 12:45:58 PM »
Nive work guys!
Born: I like the roses. Too bad the hats look a bit sandy, maybe that was your goal. I don't know
Cowboy: Awesome work on the converting your spearmen and writing the paper for the filler. You must need a lot of flaggies. I just noticed some fingerprints on the cape of the champ, and I'm not quite sure how big you filler is.

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2008, 04:15:44 PM »
Nive work guys!
Born: I like the roses. Too bad the hats look a bit sandy, maybe that was your goal. I don't know
Cowboy: Awesome work on the converting your spearmen and writing the paper for the filler. You must need a lot of flaggies. I just noticed some fingerprints on the cape of the champ, and I'm not quite sure how big you filler is.
Thank you! Yeah i have 20 new flaggies and 25 old ones so have a few ;) Know about the fingerprints, but actually it dosnt show anything when i painted it, hope i will paint it up before the competition ends. And about the filler, its 2 x 3 normal bases. A bit large maybe, but didnt come up with any idea how to make it smaller.

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2008, 09:03:40 PM »
I'd love to see this wagon plopped in front of a unit of skaven with a screaming bell in it!  :biggriin:
A very nice filler and well painted too!
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline CaptScott

• Members
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2008, 02:06:53 AM »
When I saw SpaceCowboys' name I felt a cold shiver run down my spine.  And I wasn't disappointed.  Great job!!

Excellent work on the champion (nice cloak) and the positioning of the standard bearer is fantastic.

:eusa_clap:
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2008, 02:33:42 AM »
More great entries!   :eusa_clap:  keep them coming people

Offline SirUlrich

• Members
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2008, 04:38:04 PM »
Hello everyone.

It's looking great so far. Great entries, original ideas - I'm loving it!

So here is SirUlrich's entry for the front rank contest with the short and easy-to-remember title:

"To the brave men of the Empire, fear is a constant guest. Discipline must be maintained, be it by the liquid courage provided by Empire's finest breweries, the excruciating bellow of the blind bagpiper or just the strong arm of your veteran companions."

This is the front rank for the spearmen unit in my Cult of Morr army. I sincerely hope this conversion will help with my notoriously lousy psychology test rolls.

I had so much fun doing this. I decided from the get go, that I would only use parts from my bitz box. I wanted a dynamic, "crowded" feel with a sort of diorama feel to it also. This project has taught me a great deal on for example working with green stuff and repositioning parts of the minis. As I said this was great fun! After painting these guys and looking at the results I guess I could give these guys a double role to be standing as the front row of my FC as well if I ever decide to field them as an entire unit.

Yes there are actually six minis, but the frontage is only five wide. This is because I wanted to create the "crowded" feel to this.

The paintjob had to be rushed after my timetables caught up with me. I will probably repaint the banner at a later time. It's the one single thing I wasn't happy with...

Now for some WIP pics...

The parts that I used were:

Musician: Militia torso, old Cannon crew legs, new flagellants head, militia arms, greenstuff and brass rod.

Deaf trooper: Old state troops torso, new cannon crew head&arms, old cannon crew legs, brass rod, knights lance tip, and the leg plates from the old state troopers.

Drunkard: Militia legs (repositioned), new flaggies head, old state troops torso, white wolf arms, brass rod and lance tip and the leg plates from the old state troopers.

Coward: Old state troops + militia torso and left arm, the noose from the flagellants sprue and the leg plates from the old state troopers.

Champ: New state troop body, old command sprue head, early 6th ed metal swordarm, new state troop shield.

Standard: Militia torso, head and arms, old state troopers legs, knights standard and the leg plates from the old state troopers.

I hope you like them. And I apologize for the amount of pictures.

-SirU

You brush and pallette guys scare me ;)

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »
@Sir Ulrich :  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Absolutely fabulous entry. I am dumbstricken... Enjoy that while it lasts....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline David22

• Members
  • If knowledge is power, what is gunpowder?
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2008, 06:11:03 PM »

I hope you like them. And I apologize for the amount of pictures.

-SirU

We all come from the 4 corners of this planet and if theres something that we ALL share is ...

MORE PICTURES

:biggriin:

Offline redjoey

• Members
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2008, 06:26:05 PM »

Paint work is a bit shoddy, I didn't leave myself much time (started this mornig). For my unit filler I am going to have a crowd surfer. I didn't have time to get it ready for competition because of the amount of time it took me to think something up. I will get him done though, hopefully in the near future.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 06:29:42 PM by redjoey »
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2008, 06:40:36 PM »
 :Ohmy:

Holy crap, I scrolled all the way to the bottom and saw the guy with spikes, and thought "That guy looks like he should be in slipknot"

And then scrolled up and was like !

My vote goes to Redjoey for originalty 
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Alexander de Wissont

• Members
  • Missing our most Eccentric member, a great man
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »

Now Slipknot rules the Old World, too!
Just wait when SirUlrich's bagpiper joins the team!
Everything in one way or another references Monty Python
Rufas the Eccentric.RIP

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2008, 09:48:09 PM »
Wow people! There are some great entries here!

Sadly my Front Rank entry became a unit filler due to me screwing up the individual 20mm bases...

I'll be posting soon.

sj

Offline username

• Members
  • \m/
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2008, 10:15:26 PM »
that is hella g, both of the last ones ROCK  :happy:
*Official Metalhead of WarhammerEmpire*

Offline cubantie

• Members
  • cat in a hat
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2008, 10:20:53 PM »
Pity that slipknot is a comercial piece of trash band, kickass idea tho, and the guitar guy rocks
The Dane: "Where's Leo?"
Irish Hoodlum: "If I tell ya, how do I know you're not gonna kill me?"
The Dane: "Cuz if ya told me and I killed ya and you were lyin' I wouldn't get to kill ya then!

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2008, 09:09:54 AM »
Wow, great entries so far! Even if Slipknot isnt a favouriteband of mine, I just lova the rock theme! Awsome work! Looking forward to your crowd surfer unitfiller!

SirUlrich`s drunken bunch is awsome awell, really like the bagpipe dude and the one on his left holding his ears  :lol: Really good work!

There really are some originalty among the entries, hope we get to see some more unitfillers aswell before the contest ends.

Offline SirUlrich

• Members
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2008, 09:55:44 AM »

Why thank your Mr. Cowboy sir. I really like your conversions too, both entries. Very good work. Now please do us all a favor and paint your front rank too before tomorrow, ok?

And Redjoey... Cool job man.  :icon_twisted: Just think of the versatility here. I mean those guys would work perfectly for a Chaos mortals unit as well. Good job!

Also fbjorn: I love the subtlety on your conversions. It's beautiful! Original, well executed unit that really stands out due to it's small details. Excellent!

And for the rest of you people - get working!

-SirU

You brush and pallette guys scare me ;)