home

Author Topic: Upcoming and Current Movies ...  (Read 176761 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Upcoming and Current Movies ...
« Reply #1375 on: July 13, 2019, 04:44:58 AM »
Yeah, some of the netflix trailers are badly cut like that.
You have to be intrigued initially, and have control to stop it ruining it.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1376 on: August 04, 2019, 03:21:18 AM »
I just watched Coco. Great movie. I will only be able to watch it once though. The tears. They flowed too much.  :cry:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1377 on: August 26, 2019, 03:21:55 AM »
Just saw Aquaman. Pretty good. Its like King Arthur mixed with Thor.

Watching it really made me want to create some sort of strategy game involving the Atlantian kingdoms. Like a diplomacy sim with natural disasters caused by human oil spills, over fishing, and garbage storms. Not only do you have to balance out the 10 kingdoms but also deal with the surface. Maybe by the end of the game you make your presence known to the surface world after uniting the 10 kingdoms? Something like The Last Federation mixed with XCom with some underwater army battles.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:29:26 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1378 on: September 17, 2019, 01:54:49 PM »
Battle at Big Rock (Jurassic World Short Film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kbVvpOGdQ
― Jake the Dog

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1379 on: September 18, 2019, 12:34:45 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but I just had my first miniature painting session in almost a year and watched "Flesh + Blood" (1985) with Rutger Hauer while painting. But what on earth was that ... it was uncomfortable to watch and the story was quite weak. Besides, a film, where you as a viewer wish death to almost every character, has some problems I would say.

The entire film was cooked up just to get Jennifer Jason Leigh to run around naked for a little while.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1380 on: September 18, 2019, 12:43:12 PM »
Not complaining about that. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1381 on: October 14, 2019, 01:03:52 AM »
So on the plane to and from Greece I watched the following movies:

*  Godzilla and Godzilla King of the Monsters - great fun, especially back to back
*  X-Men Dark Phoenix - I didnt see what the bog complaints were about. It was on par with the weaker X-Men movies, of which I would consider half of them. People are too used to the Marvel Studios formula I would posit.
*  Shazam - was fun. Had a Spiderman type vibe to it
*  Venom - was fine. Don’t know why people thought it was awesome. It was good, but not way up there like people were saying.
*  Enter the Spiderverse - was a great Spiderman movie.
*  Men in Black International - was pleasant viewing. Not as awesome as it should have been considering how great Hemsworth and Thompson were in Thor. Added some stuff to MiB universe, wasn’t awesome, but was easy watching. Forgettable though, like X-Men Origins Wolverine.
*  Alita Battle Angel - that was great. What a lot of fun. Hope they make a sequel.
*  The Dark Tower - was fine. Not many movies like that. Not enough gunslinging IMO, but fine. Lucky it was short.
*  Bohemian Rhapsody - wow. What a special movie. Very well done.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1382 on: October 14, 2019, 01:24:08 AM »
I caught Good Boys and Joker the other day.
Good Boys is essentially a live action South Park adaption. The boys put on little angel acts when their around their parents but warp into little monsters when they THINK no adults are around. Two thumbs up for the 'Citizen arrest with an invisible gun' scene

Joker was pretty good. I can see why its getting rave reviews. I just had a bit of trouble figuring out how it fits into the Batman timeline

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1383 on: October 14, 2019, 02:23:42 AM »
Saw "Joker".  Probably not something I'd like to see a second time.  However, Phoenix does very well in his protrayal of a mentally disabled guy who becomes the Joker.

The story has him being the older half brother of Bruce Wayne, mothered by a woman who was in love with Wayne's father.  He is bullied for being a clown, loses his job as a clown, attempts stand up comedy and is no good, has a girl friend down the hall who initially likes him, and even she turns against him as he begins to slip into madness when the government stops the program he was being helped under, and he moves off his medicine as a result.

Sorry, but I think that is the last retelling of the Joker's beginning that I probably ever want to see.  I must be getting older, and at the same time, more choosy when ti comes to what I enjoy in films.  On a scale of 1 to 5, I rank it a 3.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1384 on: October 14, 2019, 02:35:16 AM »
So on the plane to and from Greece I watched the following movies:

*  Godzilla and Godzilla King of the Monsters - great fun, especially back to back
*  X-Men Dark Phoenix - I didnt see what the bog complaints were about. It was on par with the weaker X-Men movies, of which I would consider half of them. People are too used to the Marvel Studios formula I would posit.
*  Shazam - was fun. Had a Spiderman type vibe to it
*  Venom - was fine. Don’t know why people thought it was awesome. It was good, but not way up there like people were saying.
*  Enter the Spiderverse - was a great Spiderman movie.
*  Men in Black International - was pleasant viewing. Not as awesome as it should have been considering how great Hemsworth and Thompson were in Thor. Added some stuff to MiB universe, wasn’t awesome, but was easy watching. Forgettable though, like X-Men Origins Wolverine.
*  Alita Battle Angel - that was great. What a lot of fun. Hope they make a sequel.
*  The Dark Tower - was fine. Not many movies like that. Not enough gunslinging IMO, but fine. Lucky it was short.
*  Bohemian Rhapsody - wow. What a special movie. Very well done.

I really agree with all this. I really liked Into the Spiderverse, and quite liked Shazam. The rest were all fine. I enjoyed watching them. Only one I haven't seen yet is Bohemian Rhapsody.

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1385 on: October 14, 2019, 07:52:40 AM »
Good fun, nonsense characters. But then again, you're not there for the human characters.

Yep, a very pleasant surprise, fun little movie. Pity it had no "ending".

To be honest, I thought it was an absurd movie. What you get when you condense thousands of pages into two hours of film. Considering all the times I've cried my eyes out watching him in Interstellar... it was painful watching Matthew Mcconaughey so wasted.

Saw "Joker".  Probably not something I'd like to see a second time.  However, Phoenix does very well in his protrayal of a mentally disabled guy who becomes the Joker.

Sorry, but I think that is the last retelling of the Joker's beginning that I probably ever want to see.  I must be getting older, and at the same time, more choosy when ti comes to what I enjoy in films.  On a scale of 1 to 5, I rank it a 3.

I liked it, but felt it was way too blunt. The movie told you what it was about every 20 minutes or so, and in the end, Joaquin Phoenix straghtup tells the camera "society did this! it's all your fault!", which feels a tad childish to me.

As for me, I watched Ad Astra. What a lovely load of bollocks. Very beautiful movie, pretty, very well shot, impeccable CGI, probably some of the best space scenes ever on screen.

I loved the atmosphere, the depressing normality of space travel, the opressive ambience of the Mars colony (for the first time, a movie which makes me NOT want to visit Mars. My chalet on Mariner Valley will have to wait). Brad Pitt was very good in it.

But the plot was such utter nonsense. Amazingly so, considering all the impressive effort taken into making space feel real. I mean, space monkeys or moon pirates are cool, but they make no sense. I feel the plot would have been a bit less full of itself and more clever with its use of mystery. It's got a Blade Runner and 2001 vibe, but its mystery falls flat at the end.

Recommended, if you know what it is: a very beautiful ride through space, and an interesting character piece on isolation and loneliness. Ignore the plot.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #1386 on: December 03, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »
Watched the Irishman. I thought it was great. Its getting a lot of slack for being too long, but I love long movies so long as they suck me in and I care about what happens to the characters. How they jump around and tell the stories through the ages was pretty awesome. And of course, acting crew doesnt get much better. They could have made it a 4 part mini-series too, but I guess that would break up the mood of the film. Its not the best mob film of all time by any means, I think there are many other films from The Godfather, Goodfellas, The Departed, etc, that are better, but this is a really good film. Its a conversation-driven film. Some of the best moments are quiet conversations that have big implications as to where the story is going. Like De Niro telling Pacino he has to stop, or Pesci telling De Niro over breakfast about his flight to Detroit. Loved those scenes.

There has been some criticisms on the CGI to make characters younger but I don't care. I have certainly seen worse. I'll take De Niro in any form even if they used a cartoon.

Its a shame some of these actors are almost dead. I do not see a many in the following generations up to the same caliber. Can't believe he haven't gotten more De Niro and Pacino movies. What a loss. What I would do to have had De Niro, Nickolson, Pacino, Pesci, Hopper, Duvall, Brando, Keitel, and a few others in a whole bunch of films together when they were in their primes. What we missed out on.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1387 on: December 03, 2019, 02:22:58 PM »
Well look up the old ones and watch them. :::cheers:::

In the meantime, think I'll go see that film based on your comments, thank you! :icon_cool:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1388 on: December 03, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »
Just watched this on Saturday. My feeling are the same. Very low on action but the narrative is great.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1389 on: December 03, 2019, 02:49:21 PM »
The Irishman was great. I watched it in three sittings. The actors were all still at their best.

Funny you should mention the CGI. I didn't know about it, and just kept thinking it was like watching an alternative universe where all the young people look old.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1390 on: December 03, 2019, 03:03:19 PM »
The Irishman was great. I watched it in three sittings. The actors were all still at their best.

Funny you should mention the CGI. I didn't know about it, and just kept thinking it was like watching an alternative universe where all the young people look old.

I didn’t know about it either. I did find one scene when diniro is at a funeral and his face looks really pasty compared to everyone else. This had a photoshop quality but never thought about it during the rest of the movie.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1391 on: December 04, 2019, 02:26:45 AM »
There's actually a guide going around with suggestions for how to break it into smaller sittings. A bunch of my friends have used it and say's it makes the movie really enjoyable for them. Although they also think its a good movie regardless.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1392 on: December 04, 2019, 12:06:12 PM »
How long is it?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1393 on: December 05, 2019, 12:23:02 AM »
I think its like 3.5 hours?

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1394 on: December 09, 2019, 02:57:52 PM »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1395 on: December 11, 2019, 04:32:26 AM »
Important question. How does the upcoming Ghostbusters film fit into the timeline of the others?

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1396 on: December 11, 2019, 02:49:56 PM »
Important question. How does the upcoming Ghostbusters film fit into the timeline of the others?
Its pretty much Ghostbusters 3. If you watch the trailer, Paul Rudd shows them some 80s new clips of the first movie saying "back in the 80s it was like The Walking Dead"

The two main characters are Egon's grandchildren.

Just watch the trailer! It looks good and some of the scenes look like its based off the old 80s/90s cartoon show with the ecto1. One movie critic I follow said to him it seemed like the goonies but with ghostbusters.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1397 on: December 11, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »
Looks like it is well filmed.  I enjoyed the first movie, the second one not so much.

The comment about NY being like the Walking Dead back in the 80's, that's funny!  Looks like they're trying to retain some of the subtle humor I recall from the first, it was definitely a bit of a comedy movie.

I'm wondering if Egon ended up marrying Janine or not (Annie Potts was is hot).

I like how the gadgets are shown in the trailer, but not much story line, just enough to tease.  Looking forward to seeing it!

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1398 on: December 12, 2019, 01:01:38 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1399 on: December 13, 2019, 07:05:42 PM »