home

Author Topic: Kicking Myself...  (Read 5330 times)

Offline alarnik

• Members
Kicking Myself...
« on: December 31, 2006, 11:53:20 PM »
Now that I've almost assembled 2000 pts of Empire, they're all staring at me from on top of my workbench pleading for life. "Paint us," I can hear them say each time I go into that room. Augh! 2k of Empire! That's over 100 models. This is the time I wonder yet again, why, oh why, didn't I go for the Vampire Counts? Or, even better, Tomb Kings. One color, over and over again. None of this shading/washing/layering/redoing stuff I have to go through for Empire. Maybe I'd feel different if I didn't have such trouble with yellow/purple.

So here's the real point of my post: To you who actually have that miracle, a fully painted army, how did you do it? Yes, I can read the "Painting Blues" article (and I have, many times, believe me), but how did you do it? Second, a general question, what have people done when they're 3/4 finished painting a regiment, and just really don't like the way it turned out? I'll post some pictures up in a bit to get reviews, but in the meantime, any thoughts would be helpful.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Kicking Myself...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 01:36:20 AM »
Don't look at the entire army. Pick up one model, or one regiment and just start it. Even if it means just paint that one colour on it. Don't look at it. Don't think about it. Just do it. Pick up one thing at a time (or a small construction line if its a unit) and paint one colour on it. Even if thats all you do for the day/night. The next day/night, pick it up again and paint another colour on it. Before you know it, a week has passed and you have a painted model / unit.

The best suggestion I can give you, is just to do it. How long did you take to turn on your computer and type this thread out. You could have painted the metals on one swordsman in that time. You would be one step closer....

As for not liking the way they turn out... I haven't really had that problem, but I only have 2000 pts (or maybe a bit less) out of my 20000+ stuff painted.... so I have really only painted stuff I have converted to satisfaction...

JUST DO IT  :-)
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 06:01:50 AM »
I'd suggest definitely painting a model at a time for a while until you are happy with the colour scheme for your guys - this will prevent the problem you mention.

Otherwise, Warlord is spot on: you just have to do it.

For a long time, I rarely painted because I'm a slow painter and thought I needed to allot 3/4 hours to it for it to be worthwhile. This isn't the case. Painting has maybe a 2 minute setup time, so you should just get your stuff out whenever you have 10+ minutes downtime. You won't get much done, but lots of these instances will add up to significant amounts. Additionally, it will keep your skills honed.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline alarnik

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 08:20:11 AM »
Thanks for the great advice. I think it will help alot to not look at every model on the table, but instead focusing on one at a time. Also, that bit about only going to it when I have the chance. I don't need to make it a marathon. Now to get off this computer and back at the bench...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 08:23:34 AM by alarnik »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 11:22:06 AM »
Good Luck  :-)

Keep faith.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline offroadfury88

• Members
  • Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 07:03:15 PM »
i agree with valmir, dont think you need alot of time to paint on regiment at a time, i always leave my paints out and if i have ten minutes to spare i will just sit down and paint one color then leave and do whatever i had to do.

also, keep out only one regiment and hide the rest. that way you only think you need to paint one regiment. when your done paint a character or something to reward your self.  (i think i read this before, buts its such good advice i had to say it)
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
 -The Buddha

An act of kindness surpasses a thousand prayers
 -Sa'di

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 10:42:57 AM »
I painted 1 figures at a time till I was happy with what I was doing.

I then painted a boxed set at a time to get the minimum I needed for playing.

Everytime I finished a unit I then looked at the finished product and worked out if there was anything I wanted to do different next time.

Last year I started a marathon paint-fest just painting state troops (no drummers, ensigns, or leaders) and painted just shy of 200 figures in just over a month.  I found painting the rank and file figures in a lump and leaving out the non regimental figures an easy way to make fast progress.

Unfortunately I then painted two units of Gauls for a 10mm Warmaster Historical army after. These two units (60 figures) took 3 months to do and put me off painting for most of the rest of last year.  It was the shields that did it I tell you....
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline chowmaster

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 12:00:15 PM »
Check out this link http://armypainter.fanatic.dk/ , it could help you

Offline Phydox

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 01:18:40 PM »
First off, I'd say you need to pack the entire unpainted army away, except for one unit.  When I first started this hobby, I would find myself getting flustered, because as I was trying to paint, there was this entire unpainted army staring at me saying "me next""me next"... very distracting.  It also tended to make me rush, and not be satisfied with the paint job.  I think part of your problem starting, is your looking at the amount of work you need to do, and its making you wanna put it off.  For many people, the reward of the hobby is the act of painting, not the completion of an army.  So, enjoy yourself-it will be done when its done.

To get started, I'd grab a few rank and file troops and get the color scheme you like, then start your army in blocks of 10.  (Thats what I usually do)  Then once I've finished the block of 10 to satisfaction, I reward myself by painting a "fun" model:  Like a hero choice, or some conversion I was working on.

I agree about whats been said about setup time too.  If its a pain to get all your stuff out, and setup, so you can paint, its gonna be another thing affecting whether you "really wanna bother right now".  I have most of my stuff in a box (even tap water for cleaning brushes).  So when i have time to paint, I pull the box out with paints, brushes and current minis, sit down somewhere w/ adequate light, and I'm off.  Clean up is simply dump water, clean brushes, and put everything back in the box to be put away again.  Having children under 2 years old running around, I definitely need quick setup and breakdown times. :roll:
Gadzooks!!!  Release the Pigeon Bombs!

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »
Set a goal like 4 infantry a day, and just keep doing it.  For a long, long, time.  Once you've got a unit or two done, you'll feel rewarded and it's easier to keep going.
Quote from: Atchman
He isn't afraid at all to try new things, sometimes with terrible results.  :roll:

Offline Flagellant

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 05:05:38 PM »
first of all at the start of the hobby my financial supply was very limited, so i could only buy half a unit a time (most units were blistered back in 5th except the state troopers.....)

later on i had this wealth problem as well, but it kind of worked out well, as i had gathered a playable army of about 2,5K
The screams of those unpainted mini's kinda disapear when you have a painted army  :engel: 

about regiments that didnt turn out well?
i once screwed up a unit of 16 crossbowmen, to heavily washed, people were starting to think i was playing a Nuln list
instead of my Nordlander army (no i don't field that many artillary pieces, these guys were simply almost black  :eusa_wall:  :icon_cry:)
I had to redo them..... it was the only thing left for me to do, so i did.

One positive thing about repainting models is that you really get satisfaction out of doing so  :biggriin:
"We fight them with our steel,
we fight them with our courage,
but above all we fight them with our faith in Sigmar"

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 10:02:28 PM »
I would try doing a few individually at first if you are at all unsure of what you want.  Once certain, a production line works very well.  I always found that getting the base coat for the faces done made the little guys come alive some how.  But perhaps yours already have.  If they are indeed speaking to you, consult your Doctor about increasing the doesage of Lithium. :engel:

I agree with the suggestion to concentrate on completing one unit at a time.  I found listening to the radio or music while painting to be helpful.
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

Offline alarnik

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 12:33:14 AM »
Ok, I've been taking making a bit more progress by doing it a little bit at a time, but consistently painting. Here's a picture of one of the "better" (better being a relative term) models.

The purple is OK, but the yellow really bugs me. It's Bad Moon+White, water+Chestnut Ink, light drybrush of Bad Moon+white again. Somehow it doesn't strike me as very war-like, but then I haven't seen any other Ostermark armies, so I don't know how others have turned out

Yes, Rufus, I've tried asking the doc about that, but he keeps blowing me off. I'll show him. I'll show them all...when the mini's attack, they'll have nowhere to hide! mwahahaha! :evil:

I mean, yeah...

Phydox, when I thought about it, you're absolutely right. I was so eager to get the army finished, I forgot to enjoy the process of painting it. It became more of a chore, something to get done so I could finally "get there." That's also the reason I rushed some of the early mini's - I was in too much of a hurry  to complete them. I'll try to take my time from now on. There's no point in having a hobby if it isn't fun, huh?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 12:38:37 AM by alarnik »

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 03:19:02 AM »
I actually quite like the look of that mini, although it's a bit difficult to tell from the small-ish photo. It's worth remembering that the effect of your army is not based on the virtuosic painting of single miniatures, but on the overall effect of the units. I wish I had thought of that before doing a 7-layers-of-highlights-on-rank-and-file colour scheme. I think yours will actually work quite well.

To get a brighter yellow, you could do either of the following:
1. Water down the Chestnut Ink MUCH more. This will make it look like a darker yellow, rather than a yellow-y brown
or
2. Rather than drybrush, actually paint the raised areas properly. This will give you better coverage for highlights, and will retain the cool looking dark shadows in the depths.

I'm not sure about the white spear tassle and feather. It looks a bit anti-climactic with the Ostermark colours. I think you should consider making them red/green/blue. You could have a designated colour for each regiment or battalion.

Otherwise, excellent work - good to hear about your enjoyment of painting: it is all about having fun, after all!
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline Rufas the Eccentric

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Taken from us May 9th 2008 - But never forgotten
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 07:36:57 PM »
I like it also.  Yellow is a pain.  I also mix yellow with white to avoid the neon look. Perhaps you could use one final highlight of the white yellow mix at the end.

Enjoying the process helps it go quicker.  Thats why I like the radio.  The one thing to avoid is television.  It will turn you into a Zombie faster than you can say Von Carstein.

I tend to go through phases.  I will have several months or so when I am very productive, followed by a period where I do not want to see a paint brush.  It is a good thing to take a break now and then.
Sigmar on a sling, the stuff some people come up with. . . .

Offline Gargoyle

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 07:19:03 AM »
Pay someone else to paint them for you.
It's not the common option but a lot of people exercise this option.
Down side is cost but the upside is speed and motivation.

Some folk pay a fair chunk of money to get their models completely finished and ready for the table.

Two tourney players I know pay another fellow to paint their models with three colours that they have chosen and to base them.
They get the models back and they require only finishing and highlighting, the fun bits, all the mundane aspects are already completed.

It's just an option.
Only Heretics use Black Powder.

An Armies of Arcana exponent. ;)

Offline C

• Members
  • Dicedogs.com
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 04:32:59 PM »
I actualy have a little tray, that i bring into the tv room with me, and during 40 minof comercials i throw down some paint. not a big deal, and not much gets done at once, but after a week of TV with the GF ( who really watches those shows anyways ) i have a half painted half unit. its something to do, and it gets things done.
but just like everyone said, set SMALL goals, and paint one color on your unit / rank / whatever, and then stop give your self a break. if your motivated, do a 2nd color. but dont over do it, you will burn yourself out.
The hammer of Ulric shal fall upon the enemies of the empire.

Offline Mystic Force

• Members
  • Fighting Opponents in Iowa since 2007
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 06:33:11 PM »
Yellow is just not a fun colour to paint and there is not much way around it.  Once you get one unit done and assembles that is good motivation in itself.  I painted a 2000pt undead army this way.  I did it in batches and as I finnished them they got added to the army on my shelf.  Turning around from my desk and seeing the growing horde of painted skeletons made the whole thing easier.  That was sekeletons and they are easy to paint, but its working for my empire army too.
Well smack my arse and call me Cindy!
Leading the charge with the clever use of acronyms W.H.I.N.E.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 07:25:22 PM »
I'm not the best painter around and really don't have that much time to paint (I tell myself that to justify not painting).
But I am about average, I see better and worse and I'm ok with that.  I get manic when I start new armies and after rounds of converting assembling collecting trading suddenly I too have 3000points of an army sitting around.  its daunting!

First off. Put it all away.  right now, put in your cabinet or a box or whatever, otherwise you will start staring at all of it.  Don't do that!  Just concentrate on one unit or row at a time.  For largish central figures or unique captains/Heroes I pay for it.  I admit it.  Yes I pay for it.  Get someone who has the time to paint it, give them one you've done so they can match colours and let them worry about the shades etc.  I only paint my rank and file, and then I cheat with washes with minimum highlights.  They are rank and file, no one will look anyways.  If I'm happy, great, now I can play with a clear conscience.  Find ways to distract from my average paint jobs.  Custom bases!  Very large colourful banners!  Nifty conversions will all take some flack off my non-golden-demon paintjob.

Second major tip.  Sign up for a big tourney!  Really!  Nothing gets the painting frenzy started better than a deadline.  If I didnt' have tourney deadlines to shoot for, I would have grey hordes still.  It might mean some late nights the week before but its always gets done.

Good luck!
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Ready,steady, retreat!

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 12:38:17 PM »
mix inks with hardcoat. yellow is very strong done this way so is red but be warned if u make a mistake it cant be fix to easly. if you dont like the shine just mat vanish it afterwards
HUZZAH! my Handgunners will rain volleys of unrelenting lead on the foe!...........What?. I need 6's to hit?. Oh Sh*t

Offline Guanabana

• Members
  • We don't rent pigs!
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 02:05:22 AM »
My latest tactic to speed up my painting is to paint two armies instead of one!

By alternating painting empire with painting orcs, I get less bored because there is more variety of colour and style.  My motivation to paint it much higher and I'm getting more done.
"Tactics is what you do when you know what to do, and strategy is what you do when you don't" - Seigbert Tarrasch

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 10:30:34 PM »
I know what your talking about. I got back into warhammer after a 6 month break (for senior year high school) and I bought a 3k point army with 200 models over the course of the last week (some aren't even here yet...)

Needless to say many of my models are still unpainted, but a decent amount are. How? I wake up, go to work. I get home at 4:45. Next, I Basically turn on a mildely interesting movie (or a 1-2 hour playlist of music) and then i start painting. Once the noise stops, I get up, go to the bathroom, eat, sit down and repeat until I go to bed. Lather, rinse repeat.  lol

Thats the downside to warhammer is it requires a lot of time to paint, and many of use have to work and live sometime!

Another thing is what are you trying to accomplish? If you want to paint to a OK battle ready army, you can fly through units in no time and still have them look good when ranked and enmass. Always remember that a fully painted army looks better than solid black/grey models!!
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 02:37:45 PM »
The best thing to do is put on that song.. you know the one with 'relax... go do it' in it. Then paint. It produces an effect rather like when the song is used for hypnotism in the film zoolander.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 02:48:52 PM »
Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

That is one of my favourite scenes from that movie... Will Farrell doing those crazy dance moves... just kills me every time.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline Hochland Hero

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2007, 12:32:06 AM »
you think you have it hard i have a skaven army and that is alot of little fury faces staring back at you :icon_evil: but try really hard to get them painted cause it will make it a more enjoyable game for you and your opponent i recomend you take painting vows each month like (this month i will paint one unit of spearmen) it works! but also you should try get a  cheque point thing like organise a battle in a few weeks and make yourself paint that unit for your army
Quote from: Tostig
while drinking, once you're proficient enough, makes you invulnerable.