home

Author Topic: Nordland and its armies - what does the fluff tell us?  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
Nordland and its armies - what does the fluff tell us?
« on: July 20, 2022, 12:20:03 PM »
I have slowly started to build a Nordland army and am trying to find info about them. I have read some internet stuff and am a bit divided in regards with army list to use. The Empire list or the Cult of Ulric one. Warhammer armies project has both.
I will be an amphibious force and at the moment I have started with a unit huntsmen and one with halberds. But is norscan style mercs part of the fluff?

I am considering using some Oathmark humans as militia but would that be going too far from the Empire style to be in line with the fluff?

Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Nordland and its armies - what does the fluff tell us?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 01:03:43 PM »
I think one of the neat things about fantasy is things can be worked into the fluff.

Haven't heard anything about Norscan style mercenaries, although why not.  At the same time, militia could seem easily to be dressed as the Oathmark figures.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 01:33:09 PM »
From Dogs of War: "As already explained, not all mercenaries are human, although many are. Amongst the Dogs of War, freebooters from the frozen wastes of Norsca rub shoulders with Corsairs from Araby and mysterious warrior monks from the east."

There is even a Norsca Regiment of Renown: Beorg Bearstruck and the Bearmen of Urslo: 

It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Online Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 12:31:24 PM »
I cant see why a snobby Empire noble CANT hire some 'primitive' people to fight for him

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 08:50:24 PM »
I have slowly started to build a Nordland army and am trying to find info about them. I have read some internet stuff and am a bit divided in regards with army list to use. The Empire list or the Cult of Ulric one. Warhammer armies project has both.

If you want to follow 'canon', you have to choose your 'canon'. Is WAP 'canon'? Are the WRP background books 'canon'?

IMHO, the Warhammer Empire background published by GW between 1987 and 2012 leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Which is good.

I will be an amphibious force and at the moment I have started with a unit huntsmen and one with halberds. But is norscan style mercs part of the fluff?

I remember reading they could be. But I'm almost sure that wasn't from GW.

I am considering using some Oathmark humans as militia but would that be going too far from the Empire style to be in line with the fluff?

I'd say they fit very well! You could use some extra heads and puffed-up arms from Empire kits (or 3d prints), if you like to emphasize the Empire/Landsknecht look. Just remember that the 7th ed State Troops had a distinctly more Gothic look compared to the 4th-6th ed Empire troopers. So to a degree the Empire has 'officially' taken a step away from the completely puffed and slashed Landsknecht-look.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 02:38:35 PM »

Norscan mercenaries are a common sight in Marienburg, so it seems reasonable that some might find their way into Nordlander employ as well. That said, actual Nordlanders tend to be sensitive about the stereotype that they're Norse-like or half-Norse, and can overcompensate by being more-Sigmarite-than-Sigmarite, so you shouldn't depict Nordlanders themselves as being like Vikings.