home

Author Topic: Rules for Demigryph Knights in 6th edition?  (Read 943 times)

Offline Poor Gunner

• Members
Rules for Demigryph Knights in 6th edition?
« on: September 05, 2022, 10:42:12 AM »
Hello  :ph34r:

I would really like to use Empires Demigryph Knights in 6th edition battles, but those can only be found in the 8th edition army book.
What kind of rules would be fair to use with 6th edition Empire armies?

I have the 6th and 8th edition Empire army books, but haven't played a game of Fantasy Battles, so I have no idea.

Just take the stats, rules and point cost from 8th edition army book?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Rules for Demigryph Knights in 6th edition?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 11:38:58 AM »
Interesting question.  I'd probably start out with those 8th edition stats, and see what happens.  There might be other viewpoints though.  Have you given those rules a try with the 6th edition?  If they don't work smoothly, then with the experience you'll know what could make sense to change.

Welcome to W-E! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Poor Gunner

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 12:11:21 PM »
Thanks for the answer. Never played Fantasy yet, only 40k. A friend got me to try 6th edition Fantasy. Painting my first state troopers, so I don't have any idea if the 8th edition rules and points are somewhat fair.

For some time I've watched the Demi Knights and thought that I could buy those just to paint them.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 12:13:20 PM »
I hear ya on buying just to paint, that's good.  Don't rush them, and while you're doing them up, get in a game of 6th edition, it's a good one.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 07:35:30 AM »
Probably best to follow GP's advice: simply use the 8th ed rules and see how it goes.

You could take a monstrous cavalry unit that exists in the 6th ed (Dragon Ogres?), see how that unit is depicted in the 8th ed, and try to backtrack the 8th ed Demigryph logic back into the 6th ed logic, and adjust their point value accordingly. Then again, I remember hearing that 6th-7th ed monstrous units (cavalry on 50mm squares and infantry on 40mm squares) was underperforming. They definitely lacked many of the 8th ed special rules. So you would likely see the Demigryphs' power diminished. Then it's about finding a points value that feels right.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.