home

Author Topic: Siby's Hochland Army Blog (Army Shot!)  (Read 87220 times)

Offline somegeezer

Re: Siby's Hochland Army Blog (Halberds, Pistoliers, Knights)
« Reply #225 on: May 19, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »
Fantastic colours. You have a great-looking army
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #226 on: May 19, 2013, 04:08:42 PM »
I have similar plan with my knights, not making them a famous order and with more beards and kewl hats.

That Halberd unit looks ruffy and cool.  :closed-eyes:
My hood is my castle...

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
It definitely gives them a different character.

I still want to make up some great weapon knights of some kind and I also have some 4th/5th edition chaos knights I think might work as a slightly cultish order. (they are these type...)

http://store.wargamingtrader.com/system/files/imagecache/product_full/B1118%20-%20Mounted%20Chaos%20Knights%20x%204%20-%201993%20%20%20%20%2012-08-23.jpg

Probably would use them as 'Reiksguard' and they will be associated with the Taal woodland element of my army. Just need to get round to stripping them because currently they are bright blue!

I was glad how the halberds came out, though I do wonder if they are almost a bit too rabbley!
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #228 on: May 20, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »
... though I do wonder if they are almost a bit too rabbley!

Nonsense!  :closed-eyes:
My hood is my castle...

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #229 on: May 21, 2013, 01:54:23 AM »
Good point, you can never be too rabbley!

Offline Eltrummor

« Reply #230 on: May 21, 2013, 06:07:12 AM »
You've got a great looking army and a cute cat
The Empire does not take you seriously until you've sacked Nuln

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #231 on: June 06, 2013, 09:43:12 PM »
Quick phone snap of my soon to be 'Knights of Taal'. I had forgotten that before I went Tzeentch-insane they used to be red. That's part of the fun of stripping. That and the feeling like you are getting new minis for free!

I think the current chaos knights are pretty great, but there is some menace to there old ones, and not too much chaos symbols, just the odd badge. Can't decide whether to file them down or leave them original and just ignore it.

What is really nice about the old chaos knights is that they are bang on Empire scale now.

Going to use 5 of them for a small knight unit and then probably the other horses to pull my war altar...

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #232 on: June 07, 2013, 12:21:21 AM »
You could leave the symbols in place if they are just the eight-pointed star . . . symbol of the magical colleges / magic / spin the bottle?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #233 on: September 02, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »
Loaded up and ready to play a 4000 pt battle against the new Lizards... wish me luck!!

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Eurobash : Looking for the right date. Be there !
« Reply #234 on: September 02, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »
Break a leg !
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline WolfyGriess

• Grandmaster of the Sanguine Temple
« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2013, 01:46:09 AM »
He broke several  :icon_twisted:

In fairness it was a draw right up until the final turn when one unit gave up the ghost.
I... I... I don't know what to say.  I think I like you very much.

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »
I'll try and do a more sensible update soon, but for now, here is our new kitten Rook 'helping' me out with the hurricanum instructions...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:39:45 AM by Siberius »

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
Re: Siby's Hochland Army Blog (Hurricatnum)
« Reply #238 on: December 28, 2013, 11:59:12 PM »
I've been mostly concentrating on my Dark Elves lately with the new book with some Orcs inbetween just trying to get them playable.

When I have been painting Empire it has been doing a bit here and there on the totally intimidating Hurricanum. Hoping to finish it one day!

But I did recently get the rusty paints and it was today that I first tried them out on a couple of unwitting Flagellants. I wanted to use them on a unit of Taal Knights I have sitting waiting to be painted but figured I should test on a slightly smaller area first. Here's the results:

Not the best pic as a demo, but you can see it somewhat. Now I should say that this was about 5 min's work so I didn't get too fiddly. I splashed on some typhus corrosion and then did a bit of drybrushing on of the rust. But even for such little work I reckon it really does what it says on the tin! I've never attempted rust before and this was so easy.

I was particularly impressed with the corrosion as it can be used for all sorts. I forgot to take a pic but I slapped a bit on the bottom of the flaggy cloaks and it really does look like some nice caked on mud. It's the texture that really makes it work, esepcially with the orange layer on top of it. If you already have your own techniques for doing these things I am sure these paints are useless but for someone like me, I love them! Can't wait to paint up the knights now...

So aside from that, I did slap a new coat of paint on this fellow, one of the true classic Empire figs that got me into the game. Kinda nicked him off my brother, hope he forgives me as he has tonnes already and I did strip all his other heroes ready for more paint.  :wink: This guy screams Hochland to me though so I had to paint him such.  :engel:

Offline Shadespyre

Re: Siby's Hochland Army Blog (New Rust Paints test + Classic Hero)
« Reply #239 on: December 29, 2013, 12:10:01 AM »
Nice to see a review of the new corrosion paints as I was thinking about getting them for a WH40k project, I think you have just sold me on them, thanks!

Nice subdued look to your Hochland hero, perhaps you can pass your brother a more flashy figure in return?

Keep plugging away at the Hurricanum, it's an epic task (number 8 for Hercules!) but is spectacular when finished.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Spring is still here! : )
« Reply #240 on: December 29, 2013, 01:21:48 AM »
Great continuing effort with this army.  I hadn't viewed this thread in awhile.  Lots of good stuff here.  Lots! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #241 on: December 29, 2013, 01:22:49 PM »
Thanks guys!

Nice to see a review of the new corrosion paints as I was thinking about getting them for a WH40k project, I think you have just sold me on them, thanks!

Ai, very happy with them. The video that GW does for each to be honest kind of sold me on them. I think being able to see them in use and how easy it was tempted me. If I actually could think of a use for the others I'd take them too. The cracked earth one looks really cool but I really don't need any new basing effects. Ditto to the blood one, but again I don't do blood splatter so not much use.

Keep plugging away at the Hurricanum, it's an epic task (number 8 for Hercules!) but is spectacular when finished.

Too right! I was going to leave it without the top bits on but after seeing my brother's even unpainted one with it on, it looks so much more grand I had to relent, so that has slowed me up again! I'm rather tempted to paint the top bits with the rust actually...

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2014, 05:42:14 PM »
Something I whipped up in a couple of days for a big 4000pt Empire vs Lizards game the other day. He did a great job too until he was spirit leached by the Slaan! His final comet came down a couple of turns after his death and killed an Engine of the Gods and BSB on Carnosaur. Revenge from beyond the grave.  :biggriin:

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2014, 09:48:54 AM »
Something I whipped up in a couple of days for a big 4000pt Empire vs Lizards game the other day. He did a great job too until he was spirit leached by the Slaan! His final comet came down a couple of turns after his death and killed an Engine of the Gods and BSB on Carnosaur. Revenge from beyond the grave.  :biggriin:

hehe awesome!  :happy:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
Re: Siby's Hochland Army Blog (Celestial Wizard)
« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2014, 03:20:20 AM »
It's that kinda thing that keeps me playing warhammer.

Sure the tacticsl battle is great, the painting is fulfilling, but it's the mad stuff that happens in game that sticks with you over the long run...

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
Re: Siby's Hochland Army Blog (Celestial Wizard)
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2015, 03:37:42 AM »
Well, I've been running an escalating campaign over the last few months and finally got round to taking an army shot. Most of this was unpainted  before we started (that indeed influenced some of my list choices) so I'm really pleased to have got it all done. Adding this to my usual army, I can probably field a fairly decent sized force now if need be.  :happy:

Offline CaptainAdar

Re: Siby's Hochland Army Blog (Army Shot!)
« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2015, 05:36:36 AM »
Very cohesive colors

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2015, 09:12:11 AM »
Nice diorama. The picture in 242 is not visible for me.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Booah

« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »
The army looks brilliant, the scenery really makes a difference on full army shots and you've managed to get it all in without it looking crowded. Great stuff!

Offline Siberius

• The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #249 on: February 02, 2015, 12:56:18 PM »
Nice diorama. The picture in 242 is not visible for me.

Me either and now I can't even remember what it was! If I do I'll go back and replace it.

Hopefully I can get a few closer shots of the new stuff soon.