home

Author Topic: Boardgames  (Read 91728 times)

Offline Maza

• Members
Boardgames
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:54:33 PM »
I was recently in a store and had a look at some boardgames. I was tempted to buy the AD&D boardgame "Dragon of something": a dungeon crawler, heavy rules set. Minis in the box. Hardcore stuff :-) I was even particularly tempted by the option to play single player games (pathetic, I know).

But, considering that I would also really like to play with family members not so involved with hardcore nerd stuff, I chose to buy the lighter and more popular Small world. We tried it out a few times and it was nice as a friends and family game.

I also noted new editions of classics such as Talisman and Dungeon Quest. I remember me and my friends spending entire nights with Talisman and it's expansions. It never ended! Amazing artwork by Gary Chalk, though.

I understand that there has been something of a boardgame explosion in recent years? Several really good and well presented games on the market? Is anyone into this? Should I buy the AD&D board game? Do you have other suggestions, considering both family friendly games and heavier stuff?

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
Re: Boardgames
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »
Do card games count?

Dominion rocks and is a self contained card game with many many outcomes.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:36:43 PM »
I also enjoyed Smallworld. Your family might also enjoy Settlers of Catan, Once Upon a Time, Citadels, and Gloom. 

In my experience, casual players/non-gamers will be just as intimidated by a quasi-rpg(Descent, Castle Ravenloft, et al) as they will be an actual rpg.  :icon_cry:
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:29:36 AM »
If card games do count I'd recommend Munchkin as well.  It's still a fairly genre specific game and not for everyone, but anyone who has any interest in the fantasy genre will enjoy it I think.  It's quirky and funny.

One that's a good draw for just about everyone is Carcassone.  More tile based, but you can play it as casual or as cutthroat and it's still fun.  It's one of the best games to play when you really just want to talk and have no interest in real competitive play.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:32:49 AM by wissenlander »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 01:33:30 AM »
carcassone - easy to pick up, fun and fast.   Wissenlander beat me to it :)

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out!

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »
Fluxx is another good cardgame. Lots of expansions, not collectable, and fun. To me it falls into the boardgame category.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Gwyddyon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 02:53:35 AM »
1 more vote for Carcassonne. It's fantastic.

Other favorites are Condotierre, 7 Wonders, Dominion, Monty Python Fluxx (or any other edition), Gloom, Lunch Money, Arkham Horror, and Red Dragon Inn. I haven't played, but have heard good things about, Agricola, Ora et Labora, Alhambra, and Tournay.

And if you never want to speak to your friends or family ever again...Diplomacy. :evil:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:56:18 AM by Gwyddyon »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:45 AM »
Fury of Dracula!

Arkham Horror!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 04:24:09 AM »
I played Gloom once and it was really fun.  A really good Halloween game.  Though I didn't play it on Halloween.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
Thanks all! I know a guy who owns Carcassonne, so I'll ask him if we can try it out. I have checked several of the titles you mention and I think I'm leaning towards Agricola. Descent and Arkham Horror are tempting too.

Maybe I need to buy several games in the near future...

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 12:56:06 AM »
Fury of Dracula!

Arkham Horror!

Maza, ignore this user. He is a common troll without a bridge.

:engel:

(Arkham Horror is actually quite good)
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
Carcassone and Settlers of Catan are both great.  I have them on my xbox, but my friend has the board games, so I use my xbox to practice  :-D

Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »
A new(ish) twist on an old classic but my mate and I, mostly non geek types, have just started Risk Legacy. A 15 linked game series of risk with conditions and changing side. It's great.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
risk 2210 is awesome!

It's only 5 turns so it doesnt last as long as normal risk (takes 3 hours) but it is a bit more complicated then normal risk.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 07:28:50 PM »
MrDWithey: Thanks for watching out for me, but I've done my homework:

Quote from: The Warhammer-Empire Survival Guide
On W-E.com, the words "Global Moderator" under a user's avatar, should usually be understood as: "WARNING! WARNING!"

Crimsonsphinx: I'd love to play more computer/console games, but whenever I do, time flies and my clock suddenly decides that it is 4 a.m. and that I have to go to work in a few hours...

Risk?! I've got a few painful memories there. Maybe I should have a look at the new editions though.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 11:49:55 PM »
I like Star Wars Risk. 3-player, Empire vs Rebels vs Hutts.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 12:08:39 AM »
Munchkin is indeed very cool. You just have to be careful how many expansion decks you buy, it can get unplayable after 3 or so.

Great for a group of mates.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 01:14:06 AM »
I can give another recommendation for Risk Legacy. The first 5 or so games will play very fast until you get some of the packets opened and get new rules added to the game. We only played 13 of the games as we played a lot of games with 3 players and one of the guys (Mike) played with had a vendetta against me and it allowed one of the guys (Brad) to win lots of games. Enough that Brad was able to win 7 games and no one else was able to get close. It was impossible for anyone else to win the campaign and name the planet. I can pretty much guarantee that no two groups of players will every have the same experience with their Risk Legacy game and the boards will end up being totally different.

That being said there are tons of surprises in store for you with the game. I recommend downloading the files for the optional expansion that were only released at the Spiel Game convention. The best way to handle them without spoiling the surprise of what the cards are is to get the pdf file and only print out and look at the first page which is the envelope. Then fold it up and tape it into the box. Once you open the pack, print out the cards on some card stock and use them.

The games play fairly fast as well. Except the last 5 or six games we were able to finish our games over a single lunch break. The last games took two lunch breaks to finish. Those only took that long as we added a new guy to the group and he was very indecisive, taking a long time to decide what he was going to do.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »
Quote from: The Warhammer-Empire Survival Guide
Evil Polish guys on W-E.com are always very helpful and constructive.

Offline Count Wolfenstein

• Members
  • Whispers from the warp
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
Smallworld rules. Settler's of Catan is a good family + friends one. I also like Pandemic, Thunderstone, and anything involving zombies. I'd also highly recommend Castle Panic though I don't own it.

Offline matt217th

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 03:45:38 PM »
So many good board games out there.  http://boardgamegeek.com/ is an excellent resource.

A few really good games (and there are plenty more);

Choas in the old world.
Battlestar Galactica.
Pandemic.
Nuns on the run.
I am Catholic. Purgatory is the best I can hope for, in this and the next life.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »
Nuns on the run.

Tell me that's based on the old Robbie Coltrane / Eric Idle movie!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 08:14:45 AM »
Eric Idle. Just looking at the man puts me in a good mood. Check out this hairdo, for example.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
Diskworld - very easy to play, very fun and you don't really need to have read the books