home

Author Topic: FFH's Spoilery trek into Lovecraftian Horror  (Read 8941 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: FFH's Spoilery trek into Lovecraftian Horror
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2017, 04:51:20 PM »
I like 'The strange high house in the mist' it's a short but I liked the transformation of the character and the look into the other realm that if I remember correctly has a lot of the feel of the warp to it.
I also really enjoyed 'The Dreamquest of Unkown Kadath' which was his only full length novel with his reoccurring character Randal Carter. Very Dunsanian but I liked it.
'At the Mountains of Madness was good too although I don't remember too much other than an exploration to Antarctic
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »
Which story involved the New England town and fish people?
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »
I've read "At the Mountain of Madness" I think I wrote about it in the first or second post.  :icon_biggrin:

Which story involved the New England town and fish people?
Shadow over Innsmouth. I reviewed that one too!  :icon_biggrin:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2017, 05:07:22 PM »
I just read The Colour of Space and agree with your review. Very well done.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2017, 12:05:07 PM »
I was sick today and stayed home from work. I am having a hard time falling asleep so I put on an audiobook of:

The Hound
First off, if you play Vampire Counts or at least like their atmosphere, imagery, or lore: read this story! Bonus points if its near Halloween!  Its a fairly short story you can easily breeze through. The audio book was just over 20 minutes long on youtube.  It is not his best story by far but the atmosphere and creeping dread followed by the hair-raising reveal at the end makes it quite entertaining. I liked this story.  I wouldn't put it on a top 10 list or anything but it was enjoyable.

The story begins as most of Lovecraft's short tales begin; with a suicide note being written giving an account of what transpired. The Narrator (henceforth referred to as Derek since I used Barry for Re-animator) and his friend St. John (though the audio book made it sound like Stygian) are grave robbers. Not for money but purely for fun. They take souvenirs and place it in their "museum" in their basement.  Preserved heads, gargoyles, skulls, bodies, jewels, and anything they find delightfully Macabre are decorating this "museum."  They are quite proud of it and wish to add more to their collection.  They leave England and travel to Holland and come across an interesting grave.  They dig it up and when they open the curious coffin they find the 500 year old corpse is flawlessly intact as if it never rotted or deteriorated.  The corpse was clutching a jade amulet of a grinning winged dog sitting on skulls.  Derek and Stygian both recognize the peculiar writing on the amulet from when they read the Necromonicon. It came from Leng, some sort of ancient Asian civilization that was known for magic and cannibalism.  They snatch the amulet and rebury the grave. All while hearing a large hound in the distant howling. They return to England and add the jade amulet to their collection. after some spooky happenings Stygian gets mauled by a dark cloud in the middle of the night and dies.  Derek, suspects its because of the Amulet.  He goes to Holland to return it to the grave they robbed, but wouldn't you know it, the amulet got pick pocketed during his journey.  The next morning a family was found mauled to death not unlike Stygian's corpse.  With the amulet lost Derek visits the pilfered grave anyhow. Its surrounded by bats. When he opens the coffin he is shocked that the corpse is covered in caked blood, flesh, and hair and clutching the missing amulet! The body then lets out a long howl, the same howl that has been haunting Derek and Stygian since the amulet was taken.  Derek, fearing the corpse's reprisal, decides to take his own life.

Apparently this story was not well received and later in life Lovecraft decided it was "junk." In my personal opinion it was a fun read with Poe-esque poetry weaved into a ghoulish story and well worth the read.  Read it at night or around Halloween to help set the mood (not that this story needs help with setting the mood). Enjoy!  :::cheers:::

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »
The Whisperer in Darkness
This one was quite interesting.  It makes me thing of the text horror stories that are popular right now.  Granted there was a specific point in the story that fell into that old trope where you find yourself screaming at the main character "What are you doing?! Don't go in the woods you idiot! Fuck!" *insert Admiral Ackbar meme here* 

A large historical flood in Vermont causes an uproar as bodies of creatures are reported to have been seen being carried off by the waters. An assistant professor in English Albert Wilmarth (Wilmarth going forward) at Miskatonik University dismisses the stories and sightings as fake and just old folktale told by the simpler country folk causing their imaginations to run wild.  They were probably animals or people who were miss-identified. His colleagues seem to dispute it and it causes him to research the folk tales and native legend surrounding that area of Vermont and how spooky the tales were and how they relate to each other.

One day Wilmarth receives a letter from a former professor of the University of Vermont, Henry Wentworth Akeley, that lives in the mountains where the sighting occur.  He tells Wilmarth that the legends are true but Wilmarth better continue playing along that they are fantastical to help protect himself from these creatures.  The two scholars continue to write to each other about the legends and Professor Akeley's research of the creatures. He sends Wilmarth pictures along with his letters. The two find out that something is intercepting some of their letters.  Akeley infers that the creatures are from space and have some human spies or collaborators that are trying to silence them.  He sends a recording of sounds he heard in one of the caves to illustrate to Wilmarth what the creatures sound like.  Akeley also sends a black slap with hieroglyphics to Wilmarth to inspect.  The record makes it to Wilmarth but, despite the caution Akeley used to send the slab, the slab is stolen en-route to Wilmarth. The letters continue with one being intercepted from time to time. Akeley has been noticed by the creatures.  His dogs keep them at bay at night but now the human collaborators are helping by trying to shoot the dogs. Akeley is besieged nightly. Telling Wilmarth not to come for him as it would be dangerous for him. If Wilmarth doesn't heard from Akeley in a week then he must be dead and to write to Akeley's son in San Diego. 

A few days pass and Wilmarth receives another letter.  Unlike all the previous ones, this one is typed, and more curious its nowhere near as desperate.  Akeley met with the creatures and everything is fine now.  The creatures, called the Mi-Go, are from space and are mining rare minerals in the mountains.  They would love to take Akeley and Wilmarth on a trip among the stars. Akeley also invites Wilmarth to visit him so he can meet the Mi-Go, oh and be sure to bring all my letters, pictures, and the record with you. Also, tell no one. Wilmarth decides to meet Akeley and takes a train to Vermont where a man drives him to Akeley. Wilmarth meets Akeley in the study but he is ill. He is sitting in a dark room and is wrapped up so only his face and hands can be seen in the chair.  They talk and Akeley explains how the humans can travel the stars.  They have to have their brain removed and put in a jar.  Akeley instructs Wilmarth to grab one of these jars and plug it up to a nearby machine.  Once hooked up, the machine speaks to Akeley and Wilmarth and explains everything to them about the trip and the Mi-Go.  Wilmarth says he'll have to think about taking up the offer for the trip.  While in bed, Wilmarth over hears people talking downstairs.  Convinced he is in a bad place, he waits until everyone leaves in the dead of night.  He is going to take Akeley out of here before something befalls the both of them.  Wilmarth goes to the study only to find that the chair that contained Akeley is empty... save for Akeley's face and hands!  Wilmarth runs out of the house, jumps into the car and speeds off.  The Mi-Go have all the evidence and Akeley is now a brain in a jar.  Who knows if they are benevolent or malevolent.  Wilmarth is safe but is convinced of the legends.

This was a great story.  Most notably the letters back and forth between Akeley and Wilmarth.  They were probably the more interesting and fun parts of the story.  You couldn't wait for the next correspondence!  The siege stories were also intense and you couldn't help but worry for good old Akeley.  Honestly if it wasn't for his attachment to his home he might have been spared whatever fate befell him.  There are references to the Necromonicon and the other Lovecraftian gods. I am not entirely sure where the Mi-Go stack into the universe, but I have a feeling they are just aliens.

Fun Fact! You can actually see a Mi-Go in the show Rick and Morty.  In the episode "Morty Night Run" when Rick and Morty are at Blips and Chitz, you can see one fly by in the background when Rick starts to play "Roy."  Although they changed the head a bit and gave them mouth and eyes.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
The Shadow Out of Time
On a drive to Boston I decided to listen to the audio book of H P Lovecraft's "The Shadow Out of Time." After driving for a while my wife and I switched and she drove.  It was then, that I decided to listen to the audio book.  It is rather interesting that even in my adult life I find myself falling asleep in the car, though only when riding in the passenger seat.  The story was not boring, far from it.  The mix of my natural sleepiness when riding shotgun, having terrible sleep beforehand, and the soft voice of the narrator was a perfect storm for slumber. It started off great but then my weariness lead me to nod off. When I awoke I had missed a chunk of the middle of the story and had to rewind a chapter.  I later listened to it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything. This anecdote is just meant to be funny so do not read too much into it.

Now, onto the summary:
The story, like most of Lovecraft's,  are from the writings of the central protagonist recanting the previous events.  Nathaniel Wingate Peaslee, is coming back from an adventure in Australia.  Peaslee was a professor at Miskatonic University, some sort of economics expert if I remember correctly. Many years ago, while midway through teaching a lecture he fainted.  He came too after a day of bed rest. When he came too everyone noticed he was rather off.  He had a hard time walking at first, couldn't control his facial muscles, and also had amnesia.  Despite the amnesia he seems to know things impossible for him to have known before the spell.  Languages, books, locations, etc.  His wife gets tired of his ramblings and swears that the man who awoke was not her husband.  She took the kids and left him.  Peaslee, now alone, started studying anything and everything he could find, and meeting cultists and other ne'er-do-wells.  Then he started taking trips all over the world going to odd remote locations. Eyewitnesses report that he seemed depressed when returning from these voyages.  After several years Peaslee met with some stranger privately in the middle of the night.  The next day the police were called by a mysterious person indicated they should go check on him.  Peaslee was found unconscious in a chair.  After another day’s worth of rest he woke up, continuing his lecture from years prior.  He was very confused at first, not remembering anything that happened in the previous few years. His wife and 2 of his 3 children refused to see him even after "coming back."  His middle child though, still kept in touch.

Peaslee started re-re-adjusting to his surroundings.  He started studying psychology in effort to figure out what happened to him. He found other people in the past had similar symptoms.  During his research he found that he was checking out strange books that apparently his former self also check out from the library.  His son started studying too and they both became professors in Psychology.  At night he started having dreams of people and places not known to him, and yet somehow familiar.  He recalled tales of a great race from thousands of years ago that could project themselves through space and time and swap bodies.  They came to earth eons ago and colonized it after their home world was destroyed.  They used their powers to travel time and to record and learn as much as possible.  They were a scholarly race.  When swapping minds, the victim was treated as a guest and made to record their own memoirs and history for the great race while the alien borrowed their body.  He dreamed of meeting other victims and conversing with them.  These were people, and aliens, from different times on earth.  Peaslee had more dreams about these "Yith."  Including how they fought some other aliens that can only be described as giant flying polyps.  The Yithians had special lighting weapons they used to drive the polyps underground and sealed them away.  Using their time travel powers, the Yithians knew that one day the polyps would return and slaughter them.  Knowing when that would happen, they would then mind swap with the great beetle people in the far flung future that inherited the planet, after both the humans and the giant flying polyps had become extinct.

Peaslee wrote an article about these dreams and decided that they were just side effects from his madness years ago.  One day he receives a letter from a prospector in Australia that said they found some ruins that matched the description from his dreams.  Peaslee, along with his son, and a few Miskatonic Professors find the funds to pay for an archeological expedition to Australia to investigate these ruins.  When they arrive at the ruins, Peaslee instantly recognizes them from his dreams, and has a strange understanding of the ruin city's layout. One night he finds himself going from a stroll alone and finds a way into the city.  He explores the interior of one of the buried structures. Everything is flooding back to him.  He finds a book with information that would prove that everything that happened was real.  On his way out he notices that the seal to keep the flying polyps trapped are destroyed.  He is chased and attacked by one of them.  Peaslee narrowly escapes but loses his flashlight and the book in the process.  He stumbles back into the camp and makes up a lie about falling asleep in the desert and demands to go home. His son flies him back to the port so he can go home.  He then reveals that the book that he found and lost, the contents where written in his own hand writing.

This was surprisingly a fun read with great concepts and ideas.  Like a lot of the recent stories I’ve read, the narrative seems complete with an organic growth to the story.  The mind swapping time aliens, ancient wars, and continuity with several other of Lovecraft's stories made it great.  A small cameo by Professor Dyer (The protagonist of At the Mountain of Madness) was a bit of a treat.  As was one of the starfish headed aliens also being a captured mind swapped victim.  You even learn about how the Yithian society functions, which was very interesting!  Unlike other alien stories, these ones are not out to conquer, experiments, or devour anyone.  They are just historians and intellectuals.  They even have a time squad that go after criminals that jump through time to escape the law!  All in all it was an excellent read and I would definitely recommend this one.

On top of that, I also found a small 15 minute movie of “The Shadow Out of Time.”  I still recommend reading the book first, but this film is amazing!  It not only tells the story really well, but has incredibly cheesy effects with green screen that is just incorrigibly bad (in a good way).  The monster animations are also just amazing and fun!  :::cheers:::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7jp1CT1h6c
― Jake the Dog

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »
I love reading these writeups! It's been so long since I read them, it's like hearing an old folk story.
And that movie is freakin awesome!! I noticed 1 or 2 others from the loneanimator. I'll have to check them out.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »
love it
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 04:09:58 AM »
Great writeup as usual Feanor! :happy:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 03:20:58 AM »
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

Not unlike my "Shadow out of Time" review, I tried to listen to this on audible during a trip.  In this case it was a train ride to NYC back in August.  I fell asleep several times and had to rewind and re-listen for me to catch up.  By the end of the trip I felt like this was by far the worse Lovecraft story I have ever read! I meant to write up my review but things were so busy in my life at that moment that it fell to the way side.  Last week I felt I should pick it up again and re-listen to it since it has been so long the details became fuzzy.  I finished it today on my way home from work and my opinion had reversed from my initial reading.  Unlike my previous stories this was actually novel length so the summary will be larger than the usual.  I am glad I gave it another try as there were chunks of the story I missed or miss heard.  This time I had a better appreciation of the story.  If you wish to skip the synopsis I left a TL:DR in red afterwards.

The story begins like most of Lovecrafts stories: at the end.  Charles Dexter Ward (Charles going forward) has miraculously escaped a mental institute near his home town of Providence RI.  The only thing left behind was some sort of blue dust in his cell.  The last man to have visited him was his family doctor, Dr. Willett, mere hours before his escape.  Willett states he does not know what happened.  The story from here unfolds like a mystery detective case file rather than from any character's perspective like in other Lovecraft stories.

We go back to when Charles was in his late teens.  He was always into antiques and local history.  While studying his genealogy, he discovered that a great ancestor from the 18th century changed her name and that of her daughter back to her maiden name.  This is very peculiar of the time and there is no mention of her former spouse.  He delved deeper and found that he had a mysterious great ancestor named Joseph Curwen.  JC moved to Providence in the late 1600s after some trouble living in Salem Massachusetts and died in 1771 at 108.  JC took up residence in the town and was known as the town eccentric.  He was a self proclaimed alchemist which was enough of an explanation for the townsfolk why he seemed to not age.  He started gaining wealth somehow and bought a small farm house outside the town and began a small shipping enterprise.  Most people ignored his strangeness as he seemed to not be bothering anyone.  His power and influence grew in the town at some point as he began helping rebuild damaged or debilitated buildings and bridges.  He also seemed to be blackmailing people in town by knowing family secrets that only long dead relatives would know.  This kept his ship captains and tradesmen in his pocket despite paying them little to nothing.  People started to notice that he bought a lot of cattle and animals for his farm but was going through them at an alarming rate.  To pass off as normal, or for some other unknown reason, he decided to take a wife.  He decided he wanted to marry the daughter of one of his trusted sea captains.  The sea captain was against it at first until some knowledge about his late wife was presented to him by JC which convinced him to accept the proposal.  His daughter was not happy with this, especially since it meant the break off of a previous engagement to a sailor she was quite fond of.  Jilted by all this the former suitor, Ezra, started spying on JC and found that he would go to his farm house and hear strange noises, smell strange smells, and see strange lights.  When he wasn't spying due to being on a voyage, he would have his friend do it.   One night a strange hulking naked man stumbled into the town screaming.  He was found dead, and the older residence recognized the face of the hulking mass as belonging to the town's blacksmith when they were children.  After this incident, Ezra gathered up the whose who in Rhode Island and explained everything they recorded of JC's strange activities.  They started to intercept JC's mail and discovered he was doing maligned work and had 2 colleagues.  One still in Salem and the other in Philadelphia.  They sent a letter to the town leader of Salem to investigate this accomplish and they "took care of him."  The people of Providence and some reputable people of Rhode Island organized a raid on the Curwen farm.  Large pillars of green light shot up into the sky from the farm house.  Yelling and screaming was heard.  Two demonic fiery entities took to the sky and were shot down my muskets.  A deep monotone voice came from the sky and chanted in an unknown language.  Once the dirty business was dealt with, everyone involved agreed to never speak about what they encountered.

This only intrigued Charles more!  He began digging up what he could in old letters, archived town records, and other such antiquarian sources.  He came upon the Curwen's old house and found hidden above the fireplace, an old portrait of JC...who had a near identical look to that of Charles.  Charles's parent bought the fireplace and portrait from the current residents and had it carefully transported to Charles's room and restored.  During the transportation, Charles noticed a small compartment that was behind the painting.  It contained letters and other papers that belong to JC.  This started Charles dabbling into the occult and magic and eventually lead him to visit Europe to find more occult books and experts.  After a year or so abroad, Charles returned home and set up a private lab in the attic of the house.  After many experiments that scared the shit out of his parents and house servants, Charles apologized to them and bought a bungalow in town to do future experiments.  he started taking books about modern history and the daily newspaper with him to the attic, instead of his history and occult books.  Some say they could hear two voices coming from his room.  Charles's behavior started to change.  He started hanging out with a mysterious Dr. Allen who helped him with his experiments.  Town graves started to be robbed and ghoulish attacks happened to some of the residents of Providence during this time.

One day, Dr. Willett received a frantic letter from Charles saying he needs to speak with him urgently.  That they need to kill Dr. Allen and save the universe.  Charles will wait for Dr. Willett at his parents house.  The servants of the house, as well as Dr. Willett, where told to kill Dr. Allen on sight.  By the time Dr. Willett reached the house the servants said Charles had come into the house, slipped out unnoticed, only to have returned and left once again.  The second time he returned they heard some loud banging and gasping coming from his room.  When Charles left, he strolled out without a word.  This perplexed Dr. Willett and Charles's father (Teddy).  Willet and Teddy went to the bungalow and found Charles there.  Charles's voice was very raspy, his mannerisms were odd, and his hand writing was different, yet familiar.  When they asked about his letter he said it was just his anxieties getting the better of him and that Dr. Allen left to NYC and probably wouldn't return anytime soon. Charles became more and more unlike himself that Willett an Teddy had him committed to a mental health institution.  They also hired detectives to track down Dr. Allen.  After intercepting some letters sent to Charles from abroad that suggested Dr. Allen kill Charles, they investigated the bungalow lab.  Teddy found a trap door that was hidden that lead to a subterranean lair.  Noxious smelling fumes caused him to faint and he was sent home to recover.  Willett decided to explore this lair on his own. He figured out that it was none other than JC's old lair that was raided back in the 1770s.  Willett found alters and kennels housing ghouls (one of which ate his flashlight and died digesting it) and finally the main lab.  There he found special salts and incantations. Willett discovered that these salts are the remains of dead people.  With the right ingredients and incantations, people from the past can be brought back to life.  The right spell can put them back down into their salt form.  Charles and his predecessor JC had been doing this to get information from people from the past.  Willett discovered that magic they were using were dangerous and could call up maligned beings from outside this universe. Putting all the mystery pieces together, Willett returned to the Ward's house and investigated Charles room.  He found a secret panel behind the fireplace. There he found the corpse of Charles.  The Charles in the asylum was none other than JC returned from the dead, posing as Charles (since they looked nearly identical).  Willet sent the Wards away and faced JC in the asylum.  They have a wizards duel and Willett was able to use the incantation to revert JC back into his essential salts.

TL:DR

It was a great mystery story!  I will say, the second time reading it, having a basic blueprint of the story from the first reading did help me make more connections than previously.  I wonder if that is why I enjoyed it more the second time around.  Lovecraft seemed to be at his best in this novel.  Not the most chilling, but definitively his most satisfying from begging middle and end.  Whereas his previous stories seems to start atmospherically, bring on the tension, only to ramp up and rush the ending; this novel was very well paced and did not disappoint in the end.  His poetic language was expertly used and didn't come off as too self indulgent at all.  Definitely a fine read and I recommend it to any mystery and/or paranormal novel enthusiasts.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 05:56:41 PM »
Under the Pyramids (AKA Imprisoned with the Pharaohs)
This was a suspenseful romp.  Like most of Lovecraft other stories I've covered so far, this is in first person.  Unlike anything read so far, the protagonist is not some un-named narrator or small time professor from a fictitious university.  The protagonist is non other than the famous magician and escape artist Harry Houdini.

In this tale, Houdini travels incognito to Australia but makes a vacation stop along the way in Egypt so that his wife and himself can enjoy the sites and stories that Cairo and the ancient Egyptian sites and monuments have to offer.  They meet a guide named Abdul that shows them around.  He seems to have very intricate connections in the city, but the police and other authorities have no record of him, let alone heard of him. After touring the sites and hearing many rumors and stories from Abdul, they run into Abdul's rival.  Abdul and the rival get into a street scuffle that Houdini breaks up.  Abdul and the rival agree to solve their dispute the old fashioned way.  A boxing match on top of one of the pyramids.  Houdini was happy to report that Abdul won the match.  Afterward everyone was celebrating with each other.  They then lean over to Houdini and reveal that not only do they know who he really is, but also want to know just how good of a magician/escape artist his fame claims to be.  They pounce on poor Houdini and hog tie, gag, and blindfold him.  They take him to an ancient Egyptian temple near the sphinx and lower him down a deep shaft.  It is so deep that when they throw the rope down with him the coiling rope covers him completely.  Houdini faints a few times and has weird dreams.  When he final comes to he realized that, although he is alone in some deep pit, someone had removed the heavy coiled rope that lowered him in and tossed it aside.  He escapes from his bonds and tries to find his way out through the pitch black darkness.  He feels a draft and starts following the wind.  He trips and falls down a flight of stairs and lands in a huge ceremonial chamber with large columns.  He hears and later sees and army of the dead, zombies, ghouls, and humans with animal heads marching to and beholding a large monument with stairs that run up each side of the monument. They start bowing and worshiping this monument and presenting what I extrapolated as pieces of human flesh as an offering to the monument.  Houdini sneaks around the people and tries to crawl up the stairs for his escape.  His curiosity got the better of him and he peers over to the monument to see what they are praying to.  A large thing,"as big as a hippopotamus" with 5 heads emerges from below the monument.  It rears up and tentacles appear and start grabbing up the morsels of human meat to feed upon.  Stricken with horror Houdini runs up the stairs and eventually finds himself outside.  He decides to keep everything secret and never runs into nor sees Abdul or his compatriots again.  He also comes to the conclusion that the creature he saw was only but the paw to whatever the original sphinx actually was.

It was a chilling tale that was also a love letter to not only Egyptology but also Harry Houdini himself.  I later found out that Houdini loved this story of him and collaborated with Lovecraft later for writing or outlining other stories and projects.  I know the Tomb Kings add-on to Warhammer Total War 2 was recently released and I couldn't help but think this is right up your alley if you enjoyed Tomb Kings in general or Egyptian mysteries.  It is a short read but well worth your attention.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
I had thought up to this minute that I had everything he Harv written outside his letters. This story draws a complete blank and I’m sure I don’t have it. Gonna check my collection to see. This is a great find.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »
Pickman's Model
This was relatively short compared to most of the things I've read.  I do like that this is in first person, but its odd.  In this case its first person as the Narrator talks to you as you play the role of Eliot, a friend of the Narrator.  I like the framing device here as it makes it seem more intimate as he asks you for coffee or whiskey so he can get through his story.

The Narrator (lets call him Rick for fun), wants to tell you why he no longer hangs out with Pickman, that he has an idea of what happened to Pickman, and why he is now not only afraid of the dark but will no longer use the Boston subway or go into cellars.  Pickman was an artist that liked to paint and sculpt very dreadful macabre art.  His works are shunned by the art community in Boston so he set up his own private gallery and work space in the cellar in the old part of town.  Rick is friends with him and Pickman takes him to his workshop to showcase what he's been working on.  In the cellar he sees a gallery of horrible looking monsters all very real looking in paintings.  They pass a well or shaft to get into his workshop.  There Pickman is working on a portrait of one of these ghoulish monsters eating a corpse and staring at the observer.  Rick lets out a fearful screech as it looks very real.  A commotion is heard outside the workshop in the area of the cellar that had the well.  Pickman draws a pistol and excuses himself.  Rick sees a rolled up photo pinned to the upper corner of the painting he grabs it after hearing shooting in the adjacent room.  After hearing a couple of shots and shouting, Pickman returns to Rick saying Rick's scream disturbed some large hungry rats and he fired the pistol to scare them off.  After Rick departed he found the photo still in his pocket.  He unfurled the photo and it revealed that the monster in the painting was real!  A few nights since that incident Pickman had disappeared.  Rick assumes it was the ghoulish monsters that inspired Pickman got him or got to him.

It was a pretty eerie story with very descriptive scenes in the paintings from Pickman's Gallery.  I googled around some images to see if modern artist attempted to recreate some and was delighted to see a few. I also saw that some 70s or 80s twilight zone/outerlimits/tales from the crypt type show had an episode about it and the costume is rather funky than scary to me.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »
Extra Credit is now doing a series on the history and impact of scifi. They recently did a short episode touching on Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dnrcVZIK7M
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 02:09:11 AM »
So this came on my radar today:
The Sinking City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhw7OcPw8Y
― Jake the Dog

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 10:04:38 AM »
I'm in a huge Lovecraft kick as of late. I'd love to run a couple of games of CoC, but sadly we're only playing WFRP for now.

I'm really waiting for the Sinking City. This trailer looks dope. :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2018, 02:45:40 PM »
I am trying to get through some Lovecraft (From Beyond) before Halloween but its been difficult to do at work, but I did find some cool fan art from most of the stories I have already covered:

― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2018, 05:21:01 PM »
So this came on my radar today:
The Sinking City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhw7OcPw8Y
Too bad its a game and not a movie.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2018, 05:35:19 PM »
I love reading HP short stories as well. Unlikely my earlier years I don't really like reading long-winded 7 volume fantasy epics any more and I find the connected world but separate stories structure of Lovecraft and Vance nicer to read. There's still a world being fleshed out with every story but they are individually short to read, fun stories.
Reading your synopsis of each story has been fun too, and I now wish to revisit these stories myself. Any tips on similar authors, since I think I own most of Lovecraft's shorts already.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2018, 06:34:33 PM »
In a fit of craziness with this relocation, all my hp lovecraft collection bit the dust. Then I came to my senses again and retrieved them all. Only my Steven Erickson  and lovecraft plus the forgotten soldier survived. 40k and Warhammer  , I kept gaunts ghosts, the macharius series, gotrek and Felix series, ulrika trilogy, malekith and William King stuff.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2018, 06:36:50 PM »
I love reading HP short stories as well. Unlikely my earlier years I don't really like reading long-winded 7 volume fantasy epics any more and I find the connected world but separate stories structure of Lovecraft and Vance nicer to read. There's still a world being fleshed out with every story but they are individually short to read, fun stories.
Reading your synopsis of each story has been fun too, and I now wish to revisit these stories myself. Any tips on similar authors, since I think I own most of Lovecraft's shorts already.

The only one that comes to mind is one of Hp Lovecraft's friends/contemporaries Robert E Howard. He wrote and created Conan the barbarian. Lovecraft and him shared universes along with one or two other writers.

As for someone contemporary, I think Neil Gaiman is closer to something more recent but the only book I read from him was "Norse Mythology." Its really good and he voices his own audio book too.

I know the new Call of Cthulhu video game is out (I think). I may revive my youtube channel and play it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjarh35CEYM
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2018, 08:27:14 PM »
In a fit of craziness with this relocation, all my hp lovecraft collection bit the dust. Then I came to my senses again and retrieved them all. Only my Steven Erickson  and lovecraft plus the forgotten soldier survived. 40k and Warhammer  , I kept gaunts ghosts, the macharius series, gotrek and Felix series, ulrika trilogy, malekith and William King stuff.
Artoban being wise. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2019, 05:36:22 PM »
Was watching this video:
Why Cosmic Horror is Hard To Make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OTO7Rqln9Q

And the video had some fun and interesting comments:
You know who inadvertently, accidentally undertakes the transformation into a sort of cosmic horror?
Dr. Manhattan from the Watchmen.
His grip on Humanity, on even noticing Humanity, slowly slips away. He simply selects a size and walks, and Humans in his presence spontaneously rupture apart. Landscapes are reformed into vast alien machines to keep him interested. What was once a man, has been swept beyond all understanding of what it means to live, or to exist. He illustrated how godhood is not ascension, so much as complete alienation.

When I envision Cthulhu or Hastur, or Yog Sothoth, or any of "the big guys" I see them as things which exist in more ways than one, because they are not constrained by 3-D space and 1-D time. Like Dr. Manhattan is doomed to become, their interests don't even register to us, and vice versa. They would purge Earth of life as a curiosity, or as a part of something else "worth paying attention to," and perhaps they can empathically feel all the terror and suffering of everyone at once, but it's analogous to a fleeting itch.
Granted, that purging may take centuries, and appear to us as a war marked by alien atrocities beyond imagination, but how fleeting those hundreds of years pass to something that simultaneously exists across seven mutually orthogonal planes of curved spacetime.

Cosmic Horror: Reality is not as we know it, and constrained by our mere Human senses and Human brains, we are truly blind to the truth, of which we are approximately NULL. We are as much part of the background as the grains of sand on the beach. To be tread upon, played with, buried and soaked by things beyond our awareness.

When I describe cosmic horror to people, I tell them to think of a horror movie about stepping on a bug from the bug's perspective. A being so ungodly powerful and that is impossible to understand its reasons for its actions. Then if imagine our planet, our species or existence itself, was the bug to a being that we could never comprehend.

To me, that is a core idea of what cosmic horror is: the complete and utter apathy.

The biggest problem with cosmic horror is how it leaves an audience feeling.
No one is exhilarated.
They are mostly burned out and consumed by their newfound nihilism.
It’s not that they can’t be made, it’s you can’t make money off them.
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2019, 01:58:15 PM »
After delving into Lovecraft over the past few years, I really wish I had some people to play Call of Cthulhu with. Never played but it sounds fun!

I picked up a complete collection so I may resurrect this thread after I finish Conan.
― Jake the Dog