home

Author Topic: Unit Name Changes ...  (Read 2902 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Unit Name Changes ...
« on: September 28, 2017, 12:37:43 PM »
Suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later ...

As more of WFB is converted ... lol ... to W:AoS, name changes are occurring to units, such as ... State Troops to Freeguild Guard.

I immediately associated that change with Imperial Guard for 40K.  So much for the Sigmarines being the only reference to 40K.

It is what it is. :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
Re: Unit Name Changes ...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »
Most of it happened 18 months ago when the Grand Alliance Order came out.   

What was the Empire range is now a number of smaller factions

Collegiate Arcane - Beast wizard on griffon, the wagons, and battle wizards

Freeguild Guard - What it mostly the core state troops - swordsmen, spearmen, halberdiers, crossbowmen, hand gunners, greatswords, and generals

Devoted of Sigmar - Witch Hunters, flagellants, warpriests and war altar

Ironweld Arsenal - Engineers(Gunsmiths), Helblaster and Helstorm, along with a number of dwarf war machines, and the Gyrocopters.  Sadly, the Great Cannon and Mortars are no more.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 06:50:52 PM »
According to the "war scrolls" available via GW's website, the State Troops (Swordsmen, Spearmen, Halberdiers) named switched to Freeguild Guard.  As another example, the Greatswords became Freeguild greatswords.  Maybe they are all one and the same under the same listing or whatever, but they are being shown as separate in the download for the "war scrolls".

I didn't look at crossbowmen and handgunners, yet recall seeing "Freeguild archers".

Interestingly, didn't see any name changes for the Bretonnians, but maybe I missed it.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 09:36:27 PM »
To be honest when I hear Imperial Guard, 40k is about the fourth or fifth thing I think, and I even play the army. It's just such a generic name. (Hence why they went with the crazy Astra Militarium nonsense).

Freeguild guard sounds fine to me, although I'd prefer that the faction name not be in every unit entry name. I'd prefer something a bit more unique though.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »
According to the "war scrolls" available via GW's website, the State Troops (Swordsmen, Spearmen, Halberdiers) named switched to Freeguild Guard.  As another example, the Greatswords became Freeguild greatswords.  Maybe they are all one and the same under the same listing or whatever, but they are being shown as separate in the download for the "war scrolls".

I didn't look at crossbowmen and handgunners, yet recall seeing "Freeguild archers".

Interestingly, didn't see any name changes for the Bretonnians, but maybe I missed it.

Yes Freeguild Guard is one warscroll, where it essentially has different weapon options.  But many old Empire players still call them Swordsmen, Halberiers etc.

The rest of the units though are separate warscrolls.  I suspect the reason they are all called Freeguild X is for IP reasons

The majority of the units for Bretonnia haven't had name changes, as none of that stuff exists in the AoS Lore.  There were some hero name changes for the special characters to be made generic in the latest version of the warscroll compendiums on the Warhammer Community site

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »
Freeguild Guard seems just like State Troops.

Bretonnian players must be disappointed.

I haven't looked at the other "war scrolls", yet wondering if there are name changes else where.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 05:19:40 PM »
Freeguild are the same, rules and miniatures wise as what the Empire stuff was.   The name change is for they represent in the Age of Sigmar realms. 

Many of the cities built in the Age of Myth (The early age of the mortal realms after the destruction of the World That Was - Mallus, are built around shattered fragments of that world, where people can discover secrets of the past or future.  The Freeguilds are based on discovered knowledge of how to fight as an army.