home

Author Topic: The Province of REIKLAND  (Read 35975 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: The Province of REIKLAND
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 10:08:33 AM »
Loads fine for me - either from the link in the first post, or from the link at the bottom of the library page linked to above too.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline sooti

• Members
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 11:49:04 PM »
Does anyone have the old empire book with Reikland foot guys? Was wondering if they could paste some background + stats + options on them!

Offline laribold

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 02:58:59 PM »
Whilst not strictly a Reikland army as such, it's where I've decided to place the main Chapter House of my Knights Encarmine.

I found their initial fluff listed in the list of secular Knightly Orders and have expanded it to give it more of a Tilean feel based on nothing other than the name of the founder and the red, white and green colours of the knights plumes!

Here's the background if anyone is interested:

Founded by the rich dilettante Frederici Tolscano in 2310, the The Knights Encarmine are a flamboyant, foppish band of warriors. This may have something to do with the fact that the Order is comprised entirely of the rich and privileged. Still, wealth alone isn't a guarantee of entry, as there are very strict and rigid guidelines concerning who may actually join the knightly order. Being a collection of rich and generally powerful individuals, the Knights Encarmine hold much political clout. As such, they have the option to choose which campaigns they will take part in — often the ones which require little actual dirty work to attain the most glory.

Each member of the order maintains a brilliant suit of red armour topped by tricolour plumage of green, white, and red. As the paint coating the armour chips away easily, the suit must be constantly repainted in order to maintain appearances. Members of the Knights Encarmine eschew the lowly shield as it is a "commoners defense" to hide behind a metallic barrier in battle. Instead, the Knights Encarmine practice a secretive two sword combat technique. One sword acts as a deflection tool, while the other strikes the deathblow.

Despite their often intolerable nature, the Knights Encarmine are very welcome when battle is finally joined. As the members of the Order incessantly hone their two-sword technique, they are masters of the blade. Foes fall in droves as the red-armored Knights plow through ranks of foot troops and mounted warriors alike. As long as a general can stomach the tales of highly exaggerated bravery afterward, the Knights Encarmine are a valuable asset to any army of the Empire.

The Order of the Knights Encarmine is where any aspiring noble son of Tilea is sent to earn his spurs. Favouring the dashing two-sword combat technique inspired by the Tilean duellists of old, they make a marked contrast to the somewhat solid Empire knights. Indeed so ingrained is the swashbuckling ideal that it permeates all the way down to the lowest foot soldier of the order, many of whom accompany their aristocratic masters from Tilea into the orders service.

The Tilean influence runs heavily throughout the Order and, despite being extremely wealthy, they have few firearms and the crossbow is considered king. The money of the order is often spent on new and experimental Tilean crossbow variants including a repeater-style weapon and a few large hand-held siege crossbows.

The main Chapter House of the Order is based in the prosperous market town of Schilderheim, a day’s travel to the west of Altdorf. Whilst the order themselves claim to be here so that the knights can easily travel to wherever they are needed, other claim it is so they have easy access to the capital at Altdorf and all the delights therein. It also gives allows the Cardinals of the Order the chance to visit the markets and worship at the temples of Mercopio, the god of merchants, prosperity and trade. The proximity of Schilderheim to Brettonia also allows the Order to buy in some of the finest warhorses of that country, whose luxurious barding singles the knights out on the field of battle so all may see their glorious deeds.

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 03:24:47 AM »
Ok, you've GOT to check out this map! It blows away any I've seen before, and I'm willing to bet it will blow away future maps provided by GW, BL or FFG: http://www.hapimeses.com/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=7

Andy Law is maping the entire Empire in this style and you can follow the progress here: http://www.hapimeses.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 07:53:32 AM »
Hmmm, I'm a bit underwhelmed by this close-up, because I believe he's getting things wrong.

When looking at my beloved Bögenhafen (going from my WHFRP Shadow over Bögenhafen material) the city seems to be situated wrong. IIRC it should be situated on the road to Helmgart, not to Castle Drakenburg!! One does not become a great trading town by shipping goods to vampires, shipping to Bretonnia on the other hand....

I'm also missing Castle Grauenburg, though there's a Castle 'Graunenberg' on the map.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 11:18:24 PM »
I prefer these maps much more.

http://www.windsofchaos.com/?page_id=27

There is even a massive map of the Empire and Kislev made out of all these maps scaled and then put together which I'll try and find.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 07:08:50 AM »
Nice, and at least it has Bögenhafen in the right location!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Burgermeiser

• Members
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 08:28:12 PM »
As you can see by my avatar, I shall officially throw in my lot with Reikland. :eusa_clap: Nice maps btw, I like the topographical ones especially. :biggriin:
"To reign in Averland, you must be as mad as an Elector. Which, fortunately, I am!"-Marius Leitdorf (Viscilitudes of Count Averland, Chapter VII, Paragraph XIV)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »
Those topigraphical maps seem to have some things in different places than what has been usually seen.

For you Reikland fans, please excuse the following example ... in Averland, Beiswang and Averheim have flipped from east to west and vice versa.

The cartographer seems to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying so I wonder if that's the reason or maybe he's just deciding to draw the map in his own way (perhaps because he doesn't want to get in trouble with GW)?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Cedrikvonkreig

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 01:45:08 AM »
I like Reikland... it's relatively peaceful and a sign of the Empire's might... It was the lands Sigmar was born in as well as Valten...

also the color scheme is nice... white with varying accents....

Offline Aristocrap

• Members
  • Son of the Reik
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 05:43:06 AM »
Humm. I'm in a bit of a pickle regarding the province I want to collect. As my avatar reveals, I have a strong liking for Wissenland, but lately Reikland has caught my attention. Their appearances, including colors and insignia are what I'm most drawn to: the eagle of Reikland and the lion of Wissenland. The color schemes are quite similar, the notable exception being Wissenland's use of grey along with white.

Additionally, I'm a fan of Reikland in particular because of its Holy Roman Empire feel, along with the Reiksguard. I think the professional, imperial look and feel is very neat. As for Wissenland, I mainly like its insignia and backstory involving Solland, along with its poorer background in contrast to elsewhere in the Empire. I believe the Knights of the Broken Sword are based around Wissenland/ex-Solland  and I don't see many of them painted up; they may be unique to use. I like to be original with my armies and refrain from duplicating other hobbyists' work.

What do you think?