home

Author Topic: Middenheim Army (Update: Swords of Ulric)  (Read 47147 times)

Offline somegeezer

• Members
Re: Middenheim Army (Update: Stank body Complete)
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »
Looking good - especially the wolf bowsprit (which I'm considering stealing).
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline MiddenheimGeneral

• Members
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »
Its been quiet at the paint station as I just got back after being called out to go on a 5 day work trip.

Needless to say painting wise nothing has happened. On the plus side I was in Australia and managed to swing by the local GW to work on some more ideas that have been spinning through my. The topic in mind was Magicians for the army. Also managed to score some GW Water Effect that I needed for the DemiWolf bases as GW is currently out of stock in most stores and online as according to rumour their Chinese supplier went bankrupt.

Looks really good to me - very nice indeed. Might suggest dulling down the spokes of the rear wheels - they are very bright indeed. Maybe just a simple wash of brown or mud or gray.

Looking into it, again the camera makes it look brighter than it is but indeed it is a bit on the "Crisp" side compared to the rest of the model, thanks for pointing it out. The more I let the model settle the more ideas come up to tweak the paint scheme a bit and add a bit more detail.

Looking good - especially the wolf bowsprit (which I'm considering stealing).

Steal away and let me know how your version worked out for you  :smile2:

Anyway, hope to hit the ground running the next few days and get some pics to update the progress.

Greetz

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 05:43:56 PM »
Nice looking Stank!   :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

• Members
Re: Middenheim Army (Update: Wizards WIP)
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Greetings All,

Nice looking Stank!   :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Cheers Ol Perfesser.

The paints have been put away to make some room for the green stuff and modeling knife (bandaids included) as I decided to hit the Wizards section. Varying degrees of bit bashing, still unpainted as I am still fiddling with adding and sanding details. Just thought I would use you guys to bounce ideas off and get some ideas on what to do.

On to the pics to get the ball rolling:

First off all my bit bash to make a Beast Lore Wizard:

Quite happy how he is turning out so far, always fun bashing 3 kits together to make one model.

Next is my take on the Shadow Lore:

This one has had little bashing, things I am thinking of changing is the hand holding the jar so that the fingers rap around. Any other ideas more than welcome. Not sure what to do with the staff though, Ideas?

On to Fire:

This one is kind of out there. Here is my theory, first of all giving him a left arm  :blush:, then when I get around to painting him make the cloak look as though its on fire, sort of as if he is casting a spell. Might adjust where his head is in regards to the rest of the cloak I am not sure how succesfull this will be, might need to change his lore if it does not work out.

I am stuck on the next one for the time being, Metal Lore:

With this one I am gonna keep removing the Chaos symbols but here is the question, what should I use to model the Metal Lore on his staff? Again any other ideas to make the model stand out.

The title in this post says it all "Work in Progress", 4 started, 4 to go :eusa_wall:. Looking forward to your comments and ideas..

Grtz

Offline Yara

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »
Quite happy how he is turning out so far, always fun bashing 3 kits together to make one model.

The Beasts Wizard looks great (they all look great), but I can't identify the 3 kits you've used. I recognise the Flagellant head (and legs?), but where's the patchwork cloak from?
A quotation? What from? It isn't Milton and I'm pretty sure it can't be Wordsworth.

• Members
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 08:15:30 PM »

The Beasts Wizard looks great (they all look great), but I can't identify the 3 kits you've used. I recognise the Flagellant head (and legs?), but where's the patchwork cloak from?

Thanks Yara
The upper torso, arms, cloak and staff come from the Beastmen Great Bray Shaman. The top of the staff comes from the 40K Space Marines Njal Stormcaller.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440030a&prodId=prod1670018a

The legs and head are indeed from the Flaggelants set.

Offline Battlekruse

• Members
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »
I really like the way you combined the thunder wolfs together with the fenrisian wolves. Just the mix between them created a strong image as a wolf pack. You design with the thunder/fenrisian wolfs have inspired me and I consider doing something similiar one day.

Keep up the good work and may Ulric protect us.

Offline Yara

• Members
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 06:37:52 AM »
The upper torso, arms, cloak and staff come from the Beastmen Great Bray Shaman. The top of the staff comes from the 40K Space Marines Njal Stormcaller.

The legs and head are indeed from the Flaggelants set.

That's great -- I would never have thought of mixing those legs and that torso! Really like the wolf pack demigryph unit too...can't wait to see more.
A quotation? What from? It isn't Milton and I'm pretty sure it can't be Wordsworth.

Offline Broke n English

• Members
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 04:08:05 AM »
Wicked inventive mix of bits, the Beast lore is my favourite so far, thanks :)

• Members
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
Greetings all,

First of all apologies for the slow updates, progress is being booked just a wee bit slower than hoped.

Secondly thanks for all of the feedback, much appreciated and used.

Thirdly the updates:

Stank is complete unless I decide to change it up a bit in the future now that the engineer and rifle have been added  :-D;

Good news, Markus Wulfhart has decided to join the party! He is bog standard just painted with the now well known Blue and White of Middenheim;

And after the positive feedback I finished the Beast Lore Wizard, actually waited with updates untill I got him done;

Having a bit of problems getting the lighting right for the picture so I will be posting an improved picture of him once I get around to him. For the rest the other Lores are awaiting paint and building from there not to sure where I am headed off to, maybe a nice block of state troops.

As always comments more than welcome.

Greetz

Offline somegeezer

• Members
Re: Middenheim Army (Update: Beast Lore Complete)
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »
Some excellent additions. I particularly like the skintone you've got on Herr Wulfhart
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

• Members
Re: Middenheim Army (Update: Beast Lore Complete)
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »
Greetings All,

In a spurt of energy and two all nighters I have managed to get another 3 wizards done. Death, Metal and Shadow are done (almost sounds like a new Rock band :ph34r:).

Not much modding here except the odd head and arms mainly because I just liked the models as is.

Anyway onto the pics:

Death Wiz;

No prizes who the model is, only changed the head and dropped the vampire neck piece. I was really considering using the scythe from the empire wizard set but finally decided to keep it as is. The paint scheme had me stumped for a while and I settled on the red and black which is not really in line with the rest of the army but thats not what the wizards are about  :icon_lol:

Metal Wiz;

Again a pretty bog standard bash just changing head and the top of the staff, and ohh yeah a manicure to shorten his fingers a wee bit  :icon_redface:. Messed about with the cloak a bit, it was first white with a layer of blue glaze over the top but was not overly happy with the result. Settled on a grey cloak, my first attempt at wet blending with mixed results so finished it off with standard highlighting.

Shadow Wiz;

Well this one is really bog standard as I simply liked the model. Spent a while starring at the top of the staff to try and think of something "original". Was about to settle for the standard top but then decided to fix another model with green stuff when it dawned on me to make a sort of mystic flame at the top and added a few skulls to add to the theme. The main modification it the basing, kind of obvious in the pics  :wink:. All part of attempting to make it look like she is in the middle of a spell. Not sure about the eyes as yet, look better when not supper zoomed in as in pics  :-D but they need a touch up me think as well as adjusting the colour a bit.

Anyway onto the group foto, SMILE :

Four down and four to go. Got two modelled just need to think of what to do with the other two. Might take a break from the wizards and do a block of some infantry or something. As usual please leave you thoughts on what you think and any ideas.

Cheers

• Members
Re: Middenheim Army (Update: 3 Wizards Complete)
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
Hello All,

Its been a while since I've updated progress. The reason is quite simple, holidays and busy at work. But I have made some headway. I completed a Heavens wizard and finally managed to get all the pieces in place and painted for the Great Cannon.

Anyway onto the pics:

Had fun bit bashing this one together, quite happy with the result, was m first attempt ever at doing a "non Metalic 'power' sword" design..

And now for one that I have been working on in my head and in real life for a while. I am so happy I have finally managed to finish this one. I posted a WIP pic earlier on but now it is done and based. Here we go:

I decided to model it as a gun emplacement with gabions. Then I decided to slaughter all the wooden parts of my unpainted fence set and build a sort of viewing platform to put the engineer on as a lookout. I kept the colour scheme as the rest but decided to give them black jackets to symbolise the crew as having received training in Nuln and now being dispatched to Midenheim.

Anyway please let me know what you think. Its good to be back and able to show some advancement. I think I'm gonna get m head around knights now, maybe some other elements while I ponder on how to get them more intimidating than the standerd set....hmmmm...lots of ideas.

Anyway

Greetz

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Middenheim Army (Update: Heavens Wizard and Great Cannon Complete)
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 02:37:46 AM »
nice  :::cheers::: steveb

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 10:09:23 AM »
That cannon is fantastic! The idea of putting an engineer on a viewing platform is excellent, the whole model works really well.

Also, I really like your beasts wizard. Perfect kit bash!

• Members
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »
That cannon is fantastic! The idea of putting an engineer on a viewing platform is excellent, the whole model works really well.

Also, I really like your beasts wizard. Perfect kit bash!

Thanks, I really enjoyed building the cannon set up. The viewing platform suddenly popped into my head and I have to say it came together better than I thought it would.

Greetz

Offline Boreas_NL

• Members
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 09:55:08 PM »
Nice Cannon! I used the same model for a conversion some time ago... Regular Cannon seem too small now...
My bases are for sale/trade! Interested? Hit me with a PM!
http://toysoldiersofftowar.blogspot.nl/

• Members
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 05:10:20 PM »
Goede Avond Boreas,

Yeah I just recently noticed your beautiful conversion of the cannon and totally agree that the standard cannon is just too small for my liking. This is a case of bigger is definetly better  :biggriin:

Offline Boreas_NL

• Members
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »
Gij zijt een Hollander? Zin in een potje?

In the Empire, size does matter...
My bases are for sale/trade! Interested? Hit me with a PM!
http://toysoldiersofftowar.blogspot.nl/

• Members
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »
Ik ben zeker een Hollander maar potje wordt lastig aangezien ik Dubai woon momenteel  :closed-eyes:

Size is the whole reason why I'm strugling with the my Knights. The standard kit the horses I find to be ponnies, the riders are anorexic and they look like armored handy men as standard  White Wolves. I'm currently on version 3 of my White Wolves in a quest to beef them up and make them look like the tough Knights they are supposed to be....

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »
Cease die spreken de Hollish!
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Baluc

• Members
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 04:27:34 PM »
Ik ben zeker een Hollander maar potje wordt lastig aangezien ik Dubai woon momenteel  :closed-eyes:

Size is the whole reason why I'm strugling with the my Knights. The standard kit the horses I find to be ponnies, the riders are anorexic and they look like armored handy men as standard  White Wolves. I'm currently on version 3 of my White Wolves in a quest to beef them up and make them look like the tough Knights they are supposed to be....

Try using pistolier hourses and legs. The horse aren't armoured, but they are the right size.

• Members
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 06:12:19 PM »
Try using pistolier hourses and legs. The horse aren't armoured, but they are the right size.

Hahah Baluc, that was version 2. Dismembered the standard horses to salvage some of the armor and was in the process of Greensstuffing some of the armor but then found the knights too small.... I know being very picky on this one, found a way to beef up the knights but this made them too big for the horses so now i'm on version 3 which is currently a WIP and involves beefing up the horses (better stop this vicious circle soon before I end up with a real life sized pony in my living room) and is partially waiting on the postman to drop of some parts I ordered, snailmail sucks :eusa_wall: when you are waiting on a delivery...

Waiting to advance a bit further and i'll post some pics. Might start painting something else if my conversion stalls.

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 10:50:13 AM »
If anybody wants to build there own gabions (the baskets filled with earth) I found a great tutorial on how to do it yourself and cheaply. Quick trip to your local DYI shop should do the trick as in regards to buying the raw materials if you don't have most of it laying around the house.

http://paulsbods.blogspot.ae/2010/12/gabions-and-wattle-fences.html

Great thing is that you can scale them to whatever size you need. Also has example of how to build a wattle fence using the same technique.

As to updates on progress in regards to on going projects, I have just finished priming my knights and hope to get the front rank painted and pictured in the coming days. Built a unit filler for the still to come swordsmen unit and should post a pic today or tomorrow. On top of this I primed my version of a witch hunter and should finish this soon as well.

Greetz

• Members
Re: Middenheim Army (Update: Ongoing projects)
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
A quick upload of some pics for the unit filler I made for a group of up and coming swordsmen.

Saw this model in one of the GW stores and wondered what if I change it around a bit and build up a bit of scenery it might work as a unit filler. This is the end result;

Not sure if I will ever really use it, but as we say in Dutch "Niet geschoten is altijd mis." (also known in English as A shot not taken is always a miss) I though I'd give it a try. Acknowleged he is not the most "Empire" styled model but as far as a battle weary captain pondering strategy in a group of soldiers he should be all right.

Let me know what ya think.

Greetz

Jonathan