home

Author Topic: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS  (Read 264388 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS
« Reply #1175 on: October 03, 2019, 04:25:36 PM »
Seems like a total branch away from the concept of fantasy having ties to the real world.

Sorry GP, but you missed that boat several years ago now. This is expanding their current world, not tying back into a real world one. It's not really a new thing. It's been like that since the start of AoS.

BUT there's lots of room to make your own stuff and give it more real world roots. Make a free city and base it on Altdorf or medieval Paris or something. Lots of possibilities to play with.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1176 on: October 03, 2019, 07:10:16 PM »
Nope, didn't miss it, still seeing it for what it is.  Oh, and is there a map where the supposed free city can be placed? :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1177 on: October 03, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »
I kinda like the imagery they are presenting though. :ph34r:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1178 on: October 03, 2019, 09:44:53 PM »
Seems like a total branch away from the concept of fantasy having ties to the real world.

Sorry GP, but you missed that boat several years ago now. This is expanding their current world, not tying back into a real world one. It's not really a new thing. It's been like that since the start of AoS.

BUT there's lots of room to make your own stuff and give it more real world roots. Make a free city and base it on Altdorf or medieval Paris or something. Lots of possibilities to play with.

True, and exciting, but every time I try and create a Free City, I bump into the same problem: the world is too vague, too wide and too inconcrete, the rules are very wibly-wobly and the amount of crazy stuff in it is too bizarre.

I mean, the more central to the Realmdisk, the less weird and "thematic" the place is, ok, neat, I can see that. Now, why is Hammerhal in the middle of a lava field? Was't it supposed to be inside a centric area where things are mostly normal?

Take Shyish. A Realm where the souls of the dead go. But there's living people also, living their lives. I guess that they never "really" die, because they live in the afterlife. Having people living in the Afterlife kinda takes the mystery away from it, doesn't it? As a fantasy concept, Shyish is a dead end. It doesn't add anything interesting and it takes away too much.

Take Ghur, which, to me, is idiotic. Everything is prey and predator, even the rocks and mountains. What? How does this work? Rock is rock. Plate tecnonics gone wild? Ok, I can believe that, but if tectonics move at a visible rate, the whole Realm is basically gravel then. No trees, no soil, and certainly no animals. Now, the flying rocks of Ghyran and Chamon are already a stretch for me, but... the whole realm moves and shifts? The sun moves randomly across the sky? Ghur is the Realm of Beasts, not Monty Python Flying Circus.

The idea that every Wind of Magic coalesced into a world of its can be compelling. Had they sticked to their initial concept of "the edges of the Realm are where the weird things happen", then it would have been interesting. Shyish, for example, culd have a relatively normal, only marginally purplish center patch, and then it would get gloomier and more hellish as you get away from the center, maybe crossing a series of concentric rivers (come on, GW, you had it right there!) which are increasingly difficult to cross until the last one is a river of literal souls under a dead sun and can only be crossed with the help of a Charon like character, and there's where the dead people go... but the first pic we got from Shyish was already a hellish landscape of purple sand and skulls and rivers of souls and blood-red moons...

They're not making a consistent world. Maybe one day the Mortal Realms will be a sprawling, complex world of cool concepts and cohesive ideas, but now they're a mess.

And I know there's novels, but I've got no time to read the novels. The army books should suffice, and contain enough information to make a clear picture of the world at hand in your head. When I bought my first bit of Warhammer, the famous Big Red Book, I devoured the lore section, and I really didn't need more. Just looking at this map I'm getting this fuzzy feeling...

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:35:27 AM by Cèsar de Quart »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1179 on: October 04, 2019, 12:11:44 AM »
Oh my, its a map! Imagine that. :icon_mrgreen:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1180 on: October 04, 2019, 07:46:32 AM »
To be honest, AoS has maps, they're just a bit bizarre and not very useful, because they look like a randomly generated landmass with generic fantasy toponymy splattered on it.

But even that could be compelling if correctly thought out. But the sheer size and breath of the Realms make worldbuilding almost impossible, because of the lack of clear landmarks.

In a map of the 40k Galaxy (an example of what AoS was going for), there's tens of names planets and features, and the rest is void so that the player can fill it in. In AoS, the lack of maps of the Realms make this difficult, while the few maps we have show only a very small area without many recognisable landmarks.

Places, landmarks, toponyms of renown exist in WHFB because they were ON MAPS, as simple as that. No amount of AoS novels will make the Griffin's Eyre or the Godsclaw iconic. Maps and repetition will drill them into your brains, but not novels. Middenheim, Magritta, Karak-Kadrin and Nuln all began as names on a map, and became household names just by virtue of being there, on the map, every time. Even places which were never expanded on much, if at all, like Wurtbad, like Zhufbar, like Nagashizzar, like Copher and Sudenburg, were familiar to our eyes because we've been seeing them on maps for 20 years now.

I'm sure Cerbella Island could have a rich history, but we don't know. We lack the context and we don't even know if it's a relevant place, because it's just on one map.

AoS, definitely, needs clever maps.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1181 on: October 04, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
Well, there's a map.  One heck of a world, a swirling mass of curvy islands and curvy waterways.  I see some dwarf places? If "karak" is still being used by them.  And I see some ruins, even a beastmen's vale.  Ok, could be an interesting place.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #1182 on: October 04, 2019, 10:14:52 AM »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1183 on: October 04, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »
Here's more maps. The names are generally uninspired, but it's better than nothing.

Shyish.

And Aqshy.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1184 on: October 04, 2019, 04:16:24 PM »
But your saying the old maps were special because you saw them repeatedly for 20 years, and comparing them to maps that have only been out a handful of years. Doesn't that seem like an unfair comparison?

To be honest, AoS has maps, they're just a bit bizarre and not very useful, because they look like a randomly generated landmass with generic fantasy toponymy splattered on it.

See, I like getting so many different perspectives on this. This for example is the opposite of the problem I had with the Old World Map. I was always bothered by the way it looked like a lightly altered real world map with some extra stuff crammed into it. Just like Westeros and Game of thrones. For a fantasy world, I really have no problem with them trying to make new looking maps, and new looking landscapes.

Totally separate, but I never found most of the names in the old world that original either. Most of it was just pulled from real world history or based on other, similar fantasy.

Take Shyish. A Realm where the souls of the dead go. But there's living people also, living their lives. I guess that they never "really" die, because they live in the afterlife. Having people living in the Afterlife kinda takes the mystery away from it, doesn't it? As a fantasy concept, Shyish is a dead end. It doesn't add anything interesting and it takes away too much.

I'm not as familiar with the other realms, but a big part of Shyish is that different parts of it correspond to different afterlife's, or totally normal but dark influenced places. So some people might scratch out a living in the literal bones of an afterlife, and other people might live next door to a ghost cursed realm. I find it to be a fascinating take on it. How does a community life in the bones of their ancestors? If they know what's going to happen. Clearly people die and move on because we've seen depictions of a number of 'hellish' after lives, as well as a handful of mentions of more pleasant ones. (Usually before they get messed up by Nagash.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1185 on: October 04, 2019, 04:19:47 PM »
Agree👆
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1186 on: October 04, 2019, 04:24:38 PM »
review of the battletome by Mengel

http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2019/10/review-cities-of-sigmar.html#more

I found this to be very interesting, thanks for posting it up!

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1187 on: October 05, 2019, 10:17:30 AM »
But your saying the old maps were special because you saw them repeatedly for 20 years, and comparing them to maps that have only been out a handful of years. Doesn't that seem like an unfair comparison?

Sure, you're right, but when they first presented the Realms they didn't give us these maps, they gave us other maps (if they gave us any). Now they give us these maps, but I've got no hold on them yet. Who know what maps will they give us in the future. Will they still show the Griffin's Eyrie? Is this place relevant or important to the people there somehow?

Given that consistency and grip are some of the most important elements of worldbuilding, it's weird that they didn't start by giving us maps to the central patches of the first Realms they visited right away, and built on them to have a shared anchor on their worlds. They missed the chance to hook us up on familiar geography. It's almost like... they had no idea what they were doing.

See, I like getting so many different perspectives on this. This for example is the opposite of the problem I had with the Old World Map. I was always bothered by the way it looked like a lightly altered real world map with some extra stuff crammed into it. Just like Westeros and Game of thrones. For a fantasy world, I really have no problem with them trying to make new looking maps, and new looking landscapes.

Totally separate, but I never found most of the names in the old world that original either. Most of it was just pulled from real world history or based on other, similar fantasy.

When I say "original" I don't mean "new", my mistake in using the wrong word. There's value in creating a world designed to make you instantly recognise a corner of its world, to make you feel like you belong. After all, people think it's unoriginal when the map is almost Europe, but not when the clothing style, armor and weapons are all exactly European and Medieval. Why? It's essentially the same. I see Hammerhal's domes and golden roofs and all its weird architecture and I feel like that's an alien city, not a place I can relate to. Again, not really a problem, but there's been little effort in making the Cities feel like home (for now).

What AoS does is forego the familiarity of the Old World (not because of its antiquity, but because of its closeness to the real world) and substitute it with bizarre concepts and mechanics, a thousand and one currencies and new valuable materials (incurring in the Pokemon world problem of "are there still normal animals, and if so, where are they?"), strange architecture and art, and generic English placenames like Flamescar Plateau (ugh), or fantasy names which show no real consistent language origin or even internal consistency. Was it so difficult to make up three sets of preffixes and suffixes to represent three major languages, and then make up names with them? You've got Cotha, Vitrolia and Bataar. Yeah, these names tell me nothing of the relation these landmasses have among them or the culture which habitated them. Especially when the theme of the Realms is "they were once dominated by great empires which have now fallen". If more of their world was named... names, instead of just "X cool adjective + Y cool geographic term", maybe they could have more character. One Empire founded Sazar, Sarramir and Sakortha, (begin wiht Sa-, like a reverse -Stan) another one founded Larskto, Kratz and Bormro (only As and Os, consonant clusters), another one created the provinces of Ker'gyr, Mir'yonith and Lygash (glottal stops and gutural consonants). I don't know, consistency.

But the Old World and the Realms are very different beasts. The OW pulled on your sense of familiarity. When you draw parallels and push metaphores, a similar name is a reference, and if the system makes sense, it's super useful at conveying information quickly. Ok. It would be very strange if you saw a city called Volgagrad in Tilea, or a city called Napoleti in Bretonnia, but that's not what happened. The Old World, thanks to its constant callbacks to the real world, was not only familiar, but consistent.

You could tell by seeing Valmir von Raukov's name that he was part of a frontier culture, hybrid of the Empire and Kislev, and by his Vlad Tepes inspired hat and moustache, that he was a ruthless general who was ready to fight the invaders at all costs. Original? No, but very efficient.

I'm not as familiar with the other realms, but a big part of Shyish is that different parts of it correspond to different afterlife's, or totally normal but dark influenced places. So some people might scratch out a living in the literal bones of an afterlife, and other people might live next door to a ghost cursed realm. I find it to be a fascinating take on it. How does a community life in the bones of their ancestors? If they know what's going to happen. Clearly people die and move on because we've seen depictions of a number of 'hellish' after lives, as well as a handful of mentions of more pleasant ones. (Usually before they get messed up by Nagash.

And that may be an interesting concept on its own, but in the wider world of AoS, it just raises way more questions than it answers. It makes Shyish an excessively convoluted place where you need to do all sorts of narrative gymnastics to justify people living there, their culture an psyche. After all, some of these people travel, and some of them go to other Realms and tell of the Underworlds, and suddenly no one in the Realms is us. No one! Everyone is 100% sure that there's life after deaht. The whole thousands of millions of people in the Realms have solved one of the most pressing questions we, as a species, have ever asked. They, therefore, are not us anymore. This poses very transcendental questions about mortality, the meaning or futility of life, the sense of it all, which I see the writers at GW as WOEFULLY uncapable of answering in a satisfactory way.

The novelists may do a good job, but the fluff writers on the battletomes? Oh no.

Let me reiterate: I really like much of the AoS setting, it's wide, exciting and new, and it's got tons of possibilities, but so far, it's got plenty of problems too. Shortcoming in basic worldbuilding. Sometimes a cool concept is introduced without it making much sense. Sometimes an interesting idea is crapped on by some commitee deciding on a cool name tested on control groups. The NECROQUAKE. Oh my God. So Sunday afternoon cartoony.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #1188 on: October 05, 2019, 12:07:25 PM »
Ah, Cèsar, I completely agree with you!

But the world has changed. Consistent world-building is so 70's. Nowadays the conceptual relations are genre-crossing and visually immediate. No-one is interested in languages and maps (although you might get a job if you master them).

Sadly.

Being old is not about becoming crippled, it's about shouting out the truth and nobody listens. The feeling of days gone by...

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1189 on: October 05, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
Dumb question #38 : I have azyr. Updated to show CoS warscrolls but it does not show the Cities faction. Still all the old ones. Devoted, dispossessed, free peoples etc. I was thinking there would be a Cities faction and the available units when making a list. I can get Cities on the warscroll part. Can you just choose a city and have the units available for them or do you have to buy the online battletome?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1190 on: October 05, 2019, 08:51:21 PM »
Ah, Cèsar, I completely agree with you!

But the world has changed. Consistent world-building is so 70's. Nowadays the conceptual relations are genre-crossing and visually immediate. No-one is interested in languages and maps (although you might get a job if you master them).

Sadly.

Being old is not about becoming crippled, it's about shouting out the truth and nobody listens. The feeling of days gone by...

-Z

Yep, it seems to be that way... although I've been seeing a lot of buzz about worldbuilding on the Internet lately. Criticism of fantasy and sci-fi comes down to worldbuilding very often. I think there's still hope.

AoS will settle down. After all, remember the Bretonnian King Charles de la Tete d'Or?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1191 on: October 05, 2019, 09:28:14 PM »
... although I've been seeing a lot of buzz about worldbuilding on the Internet lately. Criticism of fantasy and sci-fi comes down to worldbuilding very often. I think there's still hope.

Where? I remember worldbuilding and conlangs were a thing like 20 years ago. There's that language (Dothraki?) in GoT that actually has been created, or at least polished, by a linguist. But where else?

I agree criticism of fiction usually relates to worldbuilding. But people tend to enjoy settings with lax worldbuilding too, so the incentive to spend time on it just isn't there. Especially in games, the gaming aspects and 'fun' aspects (whatever they are) seem to be much more important than the consistency of the setting.

-Z

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #1192 on: October 06, 2019, 12:06:06 AM »
I agree criticism of fiction usually relates to worldbuilding. But people tend to enjoy settings with lax worldbuilding too, so the incentive to spend time on it just isn't there. Especially in games, the gaming aspects and 'fun' aspects (whatever they are) seem to be much more important than the consistency of the setting.

-Z

I think that all depend on who consumes it. I think there is the portion of the market that always wants the grounded believable end, which I will admit is most likely niche, but the other part that always wants crazy off the walls,

Or more importantly.....
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1193 on: October 06, 2019, 12:15:25 PM »
Dumb question #38 : I have azyr. Updated to show CoS warscrolls but it does not show the Cities faction. Still all the old ones. Devoted, dispossessed, free peoples etc. I was thinking there would be a Cities faction and the available units when making a list. I can get Cities on the warscroll part. Can you just choose a city and have the units available for them or do you have to buy the online battletome?

Never mind the above. Update came last night. Also purchased online codex and have started with the Graywater Fastness city which allows 2 steam tanks (!). One with commander and leader choice. Still miss the lack of warrior priest / altar but still have the option for a devoted army so will print off the warscrolls since I really don’t play competitively anymore. Will do that for greenskins (old ork) as they have been written out as well except the savage orks.

Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1194 on: October 06, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
... although I've been seeing a lot of buzz about worldbuilding on the Internet lately. Criticism of fantasy and sci-fi comes down to worldbuilding very often. I think there's still hope.

Where? I remember worldbuilding and conlangs were a thing like 20 years ago. There's that language (Dothraki?) in GoT that actually has been created, or at least polished, by a linguist. But where else?

-Z

It all comes down to what bubble one lives in, I guess. My youtube news always have a healthy amount of worlbduiling videos and essays. There's been buzz about it on Avatar (the TV show, the Airbender stuff), the Expanse and their careful and thoughful recreation of "Belter society" and creolle language, Game of Thrones (which had not one, but two conlangs)...

I wasn't alive during the 70's, so I don't know if there's more worldbuilding effort now than before, but there's definitely more now than in the early 2000s.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1195 on: October 06, 2019, 05:11:21 PM »
Good to hear! My conworld bubble sort of withered away around 2010.

The Expanse was/is tempting, but I haven't had the time to really start watching.

-Z

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1196 on: October 07, 2019, 05:56:12 AM »
I looked up how to draw fantasy maps on youtube a while back, and that led to suggestions on videos about worldbuilding, and shortcomings of current fantasy series worldbuilding. Its out there.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #1197 on: October 07, 2019, 12:47:08 PM »
I am confused on what GW is doing with Sigmar. I see on their site they have developed the Free Cities and I have to be honest the art is amazing, but I don't understand why are they doing this. Are they just trying to get rid of old stock? Or keep these models around? They just killed off a bunch of Empire models. It sort of seems like a mess although I haven't read a single book to know if it all makes sense.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1198 on: October 07, 2019, 01:02:55 PM »
Yep, they've combined humans, dwarfs, darkelfs (?), and thrown in a sisters army and a couple of others, while getting rid of high elfs, woods elfs, and of course Brets.  I noticed the wizard kit is back though.  And when I get a little extra cash, planning to pick up some pistolier boxes just in case.  The whole W:AoS thing is shifting and changing, and can't imagine it won't continue to do this.

By the way, regarding dark elfs, an interesting idea ... in 40K the Eldar split in the pre-history of the Eldar, reverting back to having two elf factions ... Eldar and Dark Eldar ... and GW has recently put out a mixed set on this topic for 40K.  So I suppsoe it isn't a surprise that the high elfs have been eliminated.

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #1199 on: October 07, 2019, 01:58:04 PM »
I am confused on what GW is doing with Sigmar. I see on their site they have developed the Free Cities and I have to be honest the art is amazing, but I don't understand why are they doing this. Are they just trying to get rid of old stock? Or keep these models around? They just killed off a bunch of Empire models. It sort of seems like a mess although I haven't read a single book to know if it all makes sense.

In TGA there's plenty of buzz about that. Is this an indication that the Cities of Sigmar have become a solid faction and will recieve some love in the future, or is it a passion project of some guy within the studio and a way for GW to clear stocks?

It really makes no sense. This was their chance to produce a hero miniature with the style of the old Empire, a new general or commander with cool dress up options, a lifeline to us, the old grognards of the Old World.

But no... Very confusing. The only hope I have is that the Cities of Sigmar rules are very well recieved, the army is used extensively on tournaments and seen prominently on Instagram and Facebook posts... but of course, if no new miniatures are released, many of the newer players will not jump on the bandwagon...