home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 2.2: Magic, Magic, Magic!  (Read 20635 times)

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
Re: Tactical Decision Game 2.2: Magic, Magic, Magic!
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 01:17:34 AM »

Team Blue:  1st Spell Current Vote
F of Doom (Shades)                       2 dice          (Fandir, George, Wind, MrA, Graz)                               

Not yet voted:  Soap, SevenS, Mott, Bilds B

Team Green:  1st Spell Current Vote

Comet (near Warriors)                   5 dice          (Zif, Noght,Grifter)                               

Comet (near Exe)                            3 dice          (Empire-Ulric)

T-Bolt (Shades)                                3 dice          (Friar)

Not yet voted:  Dnic, Zak, Harsh, Woj

....and anyone else who wants to post a comment and weigh-in
(yeah, I am talking to you!) ::heretic::

I will give it till the morning and then move on!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:40:57 AM by Holy Hand Grenade »
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline Harshey

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 04:24:20 AM »
3 dice comet first, then ices hard a harpy unit closest to the shades.

Offline Harshey

• Members
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 04:27:21 AM »
Which unit is our wizard in?

Offline Ibasa

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 05:53:38 AM »
5 Dice comet

Offline Wojownik

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 07:33:09 AM »
I'am for Comet 3 dice
Sir, next time I'm in the pub, I'll drink my whiskey in honor of you.

Offline Dnic

• Members
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 07:41:35 AM »
First 3 dice for comet, then 2 dice for boosted blizzard vs harpies near the shades.

• Members
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 07:54:33 AM »
Which unit is our wizard in?

Via the original list-  so the Wizard is in the ICK.
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 08:33:06 AM »
Well as much as i like the idea of splitting our dice 3:2 spell wise, i don't trust magic dice enough  :|

How about a 4 dice comet ( about 2 inches below the "S" in Ruins) or boosted thunderbolt on a harpy unit. Saving 1 dice for a harmonic convergence on A unit, perhaps the demigryphs near the hill

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 08:34:30 AM »
Bah, 5 dice comet.

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »
Zak-  talk about squeezing into the elevator in the last minute!

I was getting ready to roll with a 3-dice comet and your vote just put the 5-dice comet over the top.

Since all the team members have voted, I am going to close it out while I finish up typing the next post.  Time to move on.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »
Huzzah!
 :::cheers:::

• Members
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 09:33:28 AM »
***Update***

Team Blue

Magic

Your Beastmage raises his fist in a fury, and thousands of black birds fly out of it and race towards the Shades lurking behind the rocky ruins.

You roll at 9+4=13.  Dreadlord lets it go.

The Beastmage gets boxcars for total number of hits!  However, due to the Str 2, only gets 2 wounds.  The Shades are down to 10.

You roll the remaining dice on a Curse aimed at the large Warrior horde and get 11+4 = 15.  Dreadlord throws all 4 of his dice in defense and gets 3x6s.  Dispelled.

Shooting

The Steam Tank fires up the cannon for a shot at the Hydra.  Shot is good, bounce is good.  The shot produces a wound and Dreadlord fails his Regen save.  The Empire scored 2 wounds on the beast!

The Great Cannon follows suit.  Shot is good, bounce is good (barely!).  The shot produces a wound but this time Dreadlord makes his Regen save.

The Hydra has 3 wounds remaining.

The two Archer detachments fire some arrows at the Shades-  near impossible shots.  Notice I said near impossible… they needed 9s to hit, but one lucky chap rolled a 6 followed by a 6.  And, believe it or not, he also caused a wound!  (Morale of the story-  always roll the dice no matter how crazy the odds!)

9 Shades remaining.

Team Green

Magic

Your Heavens mage raises his arms, looks at the stars, mumbles some words, and attempts to summon a deadly comet.

A 5-dice comet nets a roll of 15+4=19.  Dreadlord rolls all 4 dice in response and get 14+4=18.  The Comet goes off.   

Shooting

Okay, now the Green STank’s turn.  Fires up the cannon…shot is good, bounce is good.  Fails to wound.

Dreadlord’s First Turn

Versus Team Blue

Movement

The Hydra attempts a charge against the Captasus.  The Captasus Holds.  The Hydra fails the charge and only moves forward 2.”

The Executioners move into the woods.  It turns out to be a Wildwood, and they lose 4 members to the crazy woods as they come alive.

The eastern Dark Riders ride hard to get into the face of the Captasus and STanks.

In the west, the Shades slide over for long range shots at the cannon.  Otherwise, the Warriors move up to get their Sorceresses in range of the Arcane energy.

The Harpies slide up to in support positions immediately behind the large Warrior block.

Versus Team Green

Movement

On the eastern flank, Dreadlord uses the hill to hide his diverters from our Knights.  The Shades turn to face our Reikguard and prepare to fire, and the Harpies find a nice resting spot behind the hill and out of the forest.

In the west, all his forces surge forward to gain the benefits of the Arcane Ruins.  He does slide some forces to the west to hopefully get out of the blast radius of the Comet. The Harpies move up to threaten the forward most Helblaster which is barely in their LOS.

Team Green-  you roll at the beginning of the magic phase for the Comet and get a 3.  Another token is added to the spot.

Magic for Both Teams

The Dark Elf player rolls snake eyes for the Winds of Magic.  Despite rolling 8 channeling dice for his two witches near the Ruins he doesn’t net any extra dice (you are super lucky in this regard!)  You also do not channel any extra dice.

So, 2 PD versus 1 DD.

Dreadlord picks up 1 die, and rolls for Powers of Darkness with the Metal Mage.  He gets a 3.  The Sorc Sacrificial Daggers a Warrior and gets a 2.  So he has 5+4+1=10.

Are you going to let it go, try and get a 6 on the DD to dispel it, or use your Dispel Scroll?

--The Metal mage just has 24” to hit your ICK with Searing Doom

--The Metal mage can range your left vanilla Knights, STank, and ICK with Searing Doom

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »
roll the dice and hope for 6....i think we need to keep the scroll for later phases....if we succeed ther's not much 1 die can do to concern us.
Question, If we fail can we not use the scroll this phase for the followup spell ?
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »
Question, If we fail can we not use the scroll this phase for the followup spell ?

Any use of the extra dice gained by PoD is a separate spell-  so yes, you could scroll it.

if we succeed ther's not much 1 die can do to concern us.

Actually-  the other Sorc can use the 1 die on PoD as well.  She has a 33% chance of failure because of no Sac Dagger to boost it, however.

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
Use the DD. What are we going to do with 1 DD if the PoD goes off?

On the other hand, while both Searing Doom or Plague of Rust would suck, it´s not the end of the world (well, it might be for our Vanilla Knights) so I say save the Scroll.

Offline Windelov

• Members
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »

Overall comments for next turn.
The Stanks
I suggest we charge the executioners with both Stanks, hitting them a little to our right (so the hydra cannot charge them the following turn), we might lose a wound on each due to terrain while the d6 S4 shouldn’t make a dent. An a bit of mathhammer reasoning: They are not steadfast in the forrest and by some lucky dices, they may break from the 2xd6 + 6 x d3 Impact hits (on average causing 16 wounds), if we want to further boost this, we might generate 4 sP and fire the steam gun for 4 x d6 S2 hits (on average causing 5 wounds). They will strike back with some 12 attack per sTank (doing 2 wounds on each), and lose by 10+ so needs to roll snake eyes. If they rally in the following turn we repeat the exercise.
 The Captasus
Charge the DR, the may flee but we might very well catch ’em (both swiftstride, captasus M=10, DR M=9), either way we will get pass the hydra charge range (and the breath attack is not that much of a threat anymore), and get behind his units to charge the sorcerer or warriors.
Reiksguard
Position to charge the flank of the executioner (or the hydra if they break). If the hydra charges the Stank, we move ’em in for a flank on the big warrior unit
The IC
That dreadlord is a pain, but he also plays it risky with no ward/armour save.. We might move our IC and center small knight unit forward and prepare a charge where we dont want our characters to face the lord while killing the sorcerer and BSB.

The small flank knight
The dark riders cannot hurt them, so move a little forward and align for a charge on the shades, hopefully breaking them and pursue into the small spears unit.

And now for the dispel:
Damn, that witch (and especially that dagger) needs to go!
She has one dice left, can gain 2-4 more from the spell, and  can sacrifice another warrior, for a total of 4-6 enough for a boosted SS, causing 2d6 dead IC knights. For the above plan, the size of the IC knights is vital.
I say, lets try the single dispel, if we get lucky there is free beers for all, if not, let her roll the many dices for the boosted SS.. If she gets multiple 6’s then we can hope for a her to be sucked into space and take the fall of many a brave knight, if not we dispel it by scroll.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:45:07 AM by Windelov »

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »
Fantastic catch Windelov with the no stubborn executioners I think it is an oversight of the Dark Elf player trying to secure his executioners he made a fatal mistake...I guess.

Also I have one or two  interesting informations, first chariots receive d6 wounds if they fail their test not only one. Second dangerous terrain means that you have to take a test once you "march, charge, flee or pursue"......hmmm the steam tank never does such things so we have a rules question is the stank due to his random movement a chariot that doesn´t take difficult terrain tests as he doesn´t charge, march, flee or pursue??

Going from Skaven lore regarding the Hellpit

Note that random movement is normal movement in aspect to dangerous terrain tests, so you do not have to make a test when moving through dangerous terrain.

EDIT: Official Update Version 1.5; p. 7

Q: Does a Random Move count as a ‘normal’ move for triggering a Dangerous Terrain test? (p74)
A: Yes, unless the model is making a charge, pursuit or flee move, in which case it counts as a move of the appropriate type

The stank just might have gotten more insane than it already is.

We could consider driving both stanks and the captasus into the executioners each stank can get 4 of them in contact so the captasus would only need to have 2 in contact to have all 10 of the enemies in contact. Meaning 6 attacks with killing blow against the Captasus hmmm too much for my taste. so we could just drive one or both stanks in the unit. I would prefer only one stank as most likely he will break the unit on his own or not even one but just driving close to them and steam gunning them with the S4 template.

But I get carried away.
Matters at hand I say no dispel on the roll of six but keep the one dice in hope that the small wizard has a smaller casting value.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:00:32 AM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »

On the other hand, while both Searing Doom or Plague of Rust would suck, it´s not the end of the world (well, it might be for our Vanilla Knights) so I say save the Scroll.
I agree.

Am I correct that the right hill blocks LOS so our knights don't have the ability to charge his diverters this turn?  That's unfortunate :(

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 11:36:08 AM »
Hmm, a tough decision dispel wise. PoD dice , can only be used by the casting wizard? I advocate letting it pass and hoping he doesn't roll a 5 or 6. saving the dd for the lvl 2 PoD. The death mage is easier to dispel with dd and we could burn an early scroll for any big metal spell.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »

I agree.

Am I correct that the right hill blocks LOS so our knights don't have the ability to charge his diverters this turn?  That's unfortunate :(

Need to confirm LOS out east.

--The Metal mage can range your left vanilla Knights, STank, and ICK with Searing Doom

Assuming within Spirit Leech long range also?  If so, let POD through, save the dice for lvl 2 , scroll Searing.?

Charge range to Hydra with Reiksguard?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:48:33 AM by Noght »
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Windelov

• Members
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »

Also I have one or two  interesting informations, first chariots receive d6 wounds if they fail their test not only one. Second dangerous terrain means that you have to take a test once you "march, charge, flee or pursue"......hmmm the steam tank never does such things so we have a rules question is the stank due to his random movement a chariot that doesn´t take difficult terrain tests as he doesn´t charge, march, flee or pursue??

Going from Skaven lore regarding the Hellpit

Note that random movement is normal movement in aspect to dangerous terrain tests, so you do not have to make a test when moving through dangerous terrain.

EDIT: Official Update Version 1.5; p. 7

Q: Does a Random Move count as a ‘normal’ move for triggering a Dangerous Terrain test? (p74)
A: Yes, unless the model is making a charge, pursuit or flee move, in which case it counts as a move of the appropriate type

The stank just might have gotten more insane than it already is.

We could consider driving both stanks and the captasus into the executioners each stank can get 4 of them in contact so the captasus would only need to have 2 in contact to have all 10 of the enemies in contact. Meaning 6 attacks with killing blow against the Captasus hmmm too much for my taste. so we could just drive one or both stanks in the unit. I would prefer only one stank as most likely he will break the unit on his own or not even one but just driving close to them and steam gunning them with the S4 template.

But I get carried away.
Matters at hand I say no dispel on the roll of six but keep the one dice in hope that the small wizard has a smaller casting value.

Great info, thx, I must have missed that last line in the dang. terrain (adding it to the rules sheet) and thought it counted as a charged due to the stank having impact  hits (something exclusive for charging).

I have no strong opinion on the dispel, so I'll abstain from this voting.

I can support a one sTank charge (we need some lucky dices) by the foremost stank, and the second one going 2d6 for the hill using one sp on a  canon shoot at the hydra. 

Offline Dnic

• Members
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
Hmm, a tough decision dispel wise. PoD dice , can only be used by the casting wizard? I advocate letting it pass and hoping he doesn't roll a 5 or 6. saving the dd for the lvl 2 PoD. The death mage is easier to dispel with dd and we could burn an early scroll for any big metal spell.

I agree

Offline Wojownik

• Members
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »

I agree

Support, let it pass.
Sir, next time I'm in the pub, I'll drink my whiskey in honor of you.

Offline Empire - Ulric

• Members
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »
I concur let the PoD Pass...... he could just as easily roll a 1 or a 2 for the d3 dice he gains as a 5 or a 6.

Offline Bildskoene Bengtsson

• Members
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
First of all, good job so far Team Blue and sorry for my absence.
I agree with fandir in keeping the die IF the death-witch is in range of anything. Otherwise I'm thinking go for it. 1/6 chance of more or less closing down this magic phase is OK.