home

Author Topic: Bolt Action desert warfare  (Read 7214 times)

Offline Castozor

• Members
Re: Bolt Action desert warfare
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 11:32:18 AM »
Nice looking army and great report.

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 05:59:35 AM »
For now I am done with the 8th Army. Markings are something to go back for, but for now I am happy with the result.
Whole Army

Red 1- Universal Carrier - Section of 5 LMG and SMG
Red 2- Universal Carrier - Section of 5 LMG and SMG
Red 3- Universal Carrier - Section of 5 LMG and SMG
Red 4- Truck CMP 60L - Section of 10 LMG and SMG
Red 5- Truck CMP 60S - Section of 10 LMG and SMG
Red 6- Truck CMP 60L - Section of 10 LMG and SMG
Red 7- Truck CMP 60S - Section of 10 LMG and SMG
Blue 1- Jeep - Artillery Observer + 1 man
Bleu 2- Jeep - Artillery Observer + 1 man
Bleu 3- Officer + 1 man – can hike with the section in CMP60L
Bleu 4- Officer + 1 man – can hike with the section in CMP60L
Bordeau 1- Daimler Dingo (armoured car)
Bordeau 2- Matilda II (infantry tank)
Green 1- 25pdr QF – observer – CMP FAT (field artillery tractor)
Green 2- 25pdr QF – observer – CMP FAT (field artillery tractor)
Green 3- 6pdr QF – Morris CS8 Field Tractor
Green 4- Medium Mortar team – Light Mortar team – Morris CS8 Field Tractor
Green 5- MMG team – AT Rifle team – Morris CS8 Field tractor
Purple 1- M5 Stuart light tank
Purple 2- M5 Stuart light tank
Purple 3- M5 Stuart light tank
Purple 4- M5 Stuart light tank
Purple 5- M3 Grant medium tank
Purple 6- M4 Sherman medium tank
Purple 7- M4 Sherman medium tank
Purple 8- M4 Sherman medium tank

Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 12:48:30 PM »
It is cool to see them all together like that. :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 09:46:24 PM »
Scenario Point defence – attack on Tobruk.
Before I start with describing the battle… No one ever warned me for the cuteness of CV33 tankette’s
I wanted to play axis, painted, for once so I asked a friend to lend me an Italian army for the 1941 desert.
My opponent Wilfred played British and Gert Jan, newbie keen to learn, and I played the Italians. At the start of this game both sides failed to see one major thing. The CV33 tankette’s and the M11/39 tanks of the Italian armoured brigade have 2 MMG’s…. each. Considering the fact that everything on the British side can be killed by bullets, except for the Matilda 2. Well the Brits probably would have been better off with more AT guns.
Bombardment
Lot’s of Pinmarkers on the British side and fort he unlucky defender, his free observer got a round straight on his head, poor bugger.
Turn 1
The Brits nest on top of their objectives, the British left flank deployed itself towards the main approach lines towarde the objective on that flank, but because of the difficult terrain over there I decided to go fort the centre and right flank objective. The Italians kicked up large amounts of dust moving through the desert 
Turn 2
The Brits actually knock a tank out of the battle, with a Boys anti tank rifle on a universal carrier. Fear spreads on the Italian side. The only two AT guns in the battle capable to scrating anything more then the surface of the Matilda2 are on two tanks off which one is busted by an AT rifle. Luckily the 25pdr and the Matilda2 don’t hit anything. The CV33 reach distance on which they can rattle away against the softer targets.
 Turn 3
The Italian infantry is disembarked and prepares to assault the British positions and conquer some objectives. The remaining tank and tankettes keep on rattling the softer targets and dodging the 25pdr and the Matilda2
Turn 4
The hard pressed British buckle and give way, Wilfred orders retreat and the Italians are victorious

Conclusion:
-My opponent will know from now onwards that I play an armoured list. With just a couple of AT weapons WIlfreds army had a very slight chance to win. Next time more 25pdr’s to even to odds.

if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 02:42:16 AM »
Fantastic! When I was dabbling in flames of war, my buddy said to stay away from Italians at all cost. It’s pretty much the only army I wanted to fight with lol. Good to see them come out ahead for once.
On a side note, those cv33’s are fun to contemplate. About 5 years ago I went to our war museum in Ottawa with my son and of all the surprises I could imagine was a cv33 tankett on display. How it ever found it’s way across the pond to Ottawa, I’ll never know but it was a cute surprise. 
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2019, 10:22:46 AM »
That tankette is tiny. Is it a Bolt action model or an 1:72 Airfix kit?

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 05:55:48 AM »
That tankette is tiny. Is it a Bolt action model or an 1:72 Airfix kit?
everthing on the field is 28mm including the tankette.
Fantastic! When I was dabbling in flames of war, my buddy said to stay away from Italians at all cost. It’s pretty much the only army I wanted to fight with lol. Good to see them come out ahead for once.

The CV33 early war should be an extremely sad story, but amazingly in Bolt Action the CV33 is the best mini tank there is. I haven't seen any other tankette performing as good. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:59:15 AM by Henerius »

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 10:08:20 AM »
Painting report
The last few weeks I have been painting tanks and a bit more scenery for Bolt Action Desert.

Behold!
Panzer III, Panzer II and SdKfz 222

Munition dump

Fuel Dump

Minefield tokens

And some stuff to make it a little more lively on the field.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 12:08:08 PM »
Looking very good! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Wondering what colors are you using for painting the tanks and the terrain alongside them.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2019, 04:49:55 PM »
Vallejo 50 shades of brown. Go to warlordgames they sell sets of paints. I did not buy those sets but I use most of these colours because I had them allready.

Basic paint and then I use armypainter strong tone followed by vallejo dull coat. Works like a charm for me.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:53:01 PM by Henerius »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 08:39:39 PM »
I particularly like how the tanks are coming out, congrats! :eusa_clap: :icon_biggrin:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »
This is awesome Henrius. I do believe you may be exceeding your ‘having too much fun limit’ 😺
I have been looking at the Hungarian Budapest book with interest. For some reason I’m really taken with the ally contingent armies (Italy, Hungarian, Rumanian) and seeing these expansions is really cool. I’m imagining and German/Hungarian defence of the southern Hungarian border against a Russian/Rumanian offence.
Just thoughts for now
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 03:24:21 PM »
Just busy finishing my Germans at a slow pace and my idea is to add Italians to the mix.   I only have 32 soldiers sofar to fill sections with.  So that is a bit meagre, by adding Italian sections I can actually start Multi-national forces.
Sofar I am only in the thinking proces of it.

When the Jerries are finished it is time to look for what I am going to purchase.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2019, 05:11:22 PM »
Good to see! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2019, 06:00:01 PM »
Saturday 23 March.  I only have now time to post the battlereport due to well real life.

Battle report Mission “meeting engagement” The siege of Tobruk.
Ivo commands the commonwealth and my humble self commands the DAK Light Division
1 victory point for a destroyed unit and make sure you have a 2 point advantage to win

The troops

Since the DAK have the Afrika Korps Light Division as army list it means everybody needs a transport. I have 4 sections of 8 men which each need a truck and the commander can fit into one of the trucks. As support I bring a Panzer III, A Panzer II and a SdKfz222.

The Commonwealth brings 4 infantry sections, a boys AT Rifle team, a Mortar team, a MMG team, their obligatory free observer, a light tank and an A10 crusader armed with a howitzer.
Deployment
None we both stumble into each other, me on the way to assault the lines of Tobruk and these Aussies just can’t stay put and sortie out.

Turn 1

Both commanders decide no reserves. (Waiting is so 1940) Both armies arrive and are introducing themselves to each other. An opel blitz is put on fire to celebrate the engagement of both forces and much love and bullets are fondly given to the other side.

Turn 2

The German commander moves a infantry section as far as possible forward into an adobe building close to the commonwealth troops. They hide there, probably wetting their pants while the entire commonwealth attention is pointed at their hide out. Three howitzer (“one point blanc range is no fun” thought the German commander. Tanks moved forward, the Germans denied the left flank and sought as strong as possible positions on the right flank.

Turn 3

The British commander was ready to pull out the hair from his head.  In turn 3 and 4 two sections try to assault the adobe building full of pesky Germans, supported by their commander but they fail their command tests again and again. The German commander is moving his tanks and recce vehicle forward hammering at the British sections that refused to move.
While on the Commonwealth left flank there is a big confusing fight on the right flank everything is calm and peacefull. An odd Panzer III is trying to draw attention but the Aussies refuse to get annoyed by that and the enjoy the early morning sun and lob a mortar shell or to and sometimes send a volley of MMG fire into the distant village.

Turn 4

At the beginning of the turn you roll a dice on a 3 till 6 there is no gust of wind and all dust clouds and smoke screens stay on the place where they where shot of where cars have driven. On a 1 the smoke disappears, that is easy enough but on a 2 all cloud move in a soft gust of wind over the field and that can change lines of sight, cover and the mood off a commander or two.
The smoke and dust clouds are moved straight into the lines of the troops. The troop are happy with a little wind to cool them down a bit but otherwise they happily move forward killing each other.

Turn 5

And poof a 1 all smoke and dust cover is gone…
Germans and Aussie can see each other again and the bullets, rounds and love are all over the place again. (I learned that a truck without any passengers simply disappears when the enemy is the closest nearby unit. I used to leave the wreck as cover on the field but that is not correct. Wise lesson learned)

Turn 6

Some last dust clouds and smoke screens the gunnery slowly comes to a halt, the troops retreat back. The British commander realises that trucks are victory point and tries to kill the last remaining trucks, because easy prey. The German commander moves them wisely away from the fight.

The fighting was utterly confusing and the author can’t find the rest of the notes he had from the battle and as reader I am afraid you suffer for it. We had a very good time and the twists and plots in the battle were very amusing. The German commander had one Victory Point more than his Commonwealth counterpart and therefor it is a draw.

Thanks for a good game Ivo!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:16:29 PM by Henerius »

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2019, 10:40:03 PM »
and a game on 28-03-2019

Battle report Mission “Dawn Assault” The siege of Tobruk.
Guy is commanding the British (Armoured Brigade) and I am commanding the DAK Light Division
1 victory point for a destroyed unit and make sure you have a 2 point advantage to win

The troops

Since the DAK have the Afrika Korps Light Division as army list it means everybody needs a transport. I have 2 sections of 10 men which each need a truck and the commander can fit into one of the trucks. As support I bring 2 Light AT Guns each with a heavy field car, 2 Panzer III’s, 1 SdKfz222.

The British Armoured Brigade brings 3 A-10 tanks and 1 Stuart light tank, a Marmon Herrington scout car, 1 infantry section and a Major in a truck,  a light AT gun with a universal carrier as tow

Deployment

Preliminary bombardment. Annoying considering that several of our units were hammered and had pin markers that (as intended by the games developers I guess) held down several of our (if I may say so) cunning plans.
Dawn Assault. Visibility is next to nothing, 2D6” when somebody moves +6”, when you shoot +6”, when you are a vehicle +6”, when you are a small unit -6” to give an idea.

Turn 1

The British (Guy) kept two units in reserve and deployed also in front of the village just like their counterparts. Like a small tradition that is developing, we read the dawn assault rules after deployment. So hiding behind bushes to avoid gun shots is completely unnecessary we found out after some good reading.

The village on the far side of the battlefield gave a serious amount of cover for any flanking tank force and therefor was very attractive to the German troops.  All infantry sections (British and German) scrambled for the builded area. Tanks were moving the same direction at the edge of the village with a hill and a small forested area as flank cover
Shooting kept to a bear minimum and movement a little bit more free then normal.
Turn 2
The tanks of both platoons squize into the village side and start shooting towards each other. The superiority of the British in materiel nullified by the narrow corridor where the shoot out took place. The most forward Panzer III also succeeded in firing on the British section.

Turn 3

Finally all German vehicles started moving and the Germans actually knocked out the first A10 of the battle. Most shooting was inconclusive and slowly the tanks rolled near. Meanwhile the British infantry nested into a building and started shooting at the advancing German sections. Under cover of darkness the whole German force started to advance.

Turn 4

Start of turn 4 we rolled a 1 and all smoke and dust was blown away by a gust of wind. Which did not mean that the sun came up on the horizon. The fight started well before dawn and all troops were still covered by a shroud of darkness.

The German Veterans assaulted the British section in the building wiping them in the process. The tanks kept an firing in their Mexican stand off, the lonely A10 strengthened by a Stuart tank, still the 2pdrQF AT gun was blocked by the A10 standing between it and the Germans Pz III’s evening the odds for the lucky German commander. The universal carrier picked on one of the Light AT guns after which the SdKfz222 took revenge, knocking out the Carrier with it’s auto cannon.

Turn 5

Daylight!! at last it is daylight!
The Germans press home their attack. The SdKfz222 moved behind the A10 and popped two rounds in the rear off the vehicle blowing the tanks to bits and pieces. The Stuart saw it happening en resentful shot at the recce vehicle easily penetrating it’s armour and so the SdKfz222 also came to it’s end. Both Panzer III’s tried to do the same to the Stuart but in vain.

The German veteran infantry section pressed home their advance and went after the major and his side kicks. The mayor and his transport tried to evade capture by advancing in a different direction covered by the Marmon Herrington. The second German infantry section starts shooting at the 2pdrQF who promptly runs for cover.

The last A10 finally started moving, hurray!

Turn 6

The major is caught up by the Veteran section of the Germans after a command roll of a 12 for the major. The A10 tries to shoot the German infantry, the tanks try to kill each other with no success. The infantry also kills off the 2pdrQF.

Turn 7

Very strange but if I follow the photographs shot then we played 7 turns, without that I remember a roll for it?

The smoke and dust gets blown away a second time and taking advantage the Marmon Herrington finishes the German veteran section off.  The A10 tries to shoot a German truck, no success and these choose very wisely to run. The British truck does the same on the edge of the British side and the tanks… again don’t kill a thing…  sigh.

Ow both ATguns try to shoot the A10 at point blanc range. One can actually stick it’s barrel between the road wheels of the A10 and… missed both of them…

End of turn 7?  Roll off to see of there is a turn 7? Nope so we ended here.

It was a very nice game and Guy and I had a couple off laughs during this game. The now you don’t see me (fire) and now I do see you me was hilarious at times.
Result the Germans score 2 Victory Points and win the game by the smallest of margins possible
Thanks for again a great game!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 10:49:24 PM by Henerius »

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2019, 10:45:29 PM »
And some pictures off these goodies.  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: Because I can….

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2019, 10:11:31 AM »
Love the armoured car!
That little Stuart seems to message ‘get in, I’ll let you die fast’
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020