home

Author Topic: Football/Soccer Thread  (Read 1257 times)

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
Football/Soccer Thread
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:43:20 AM »
Had them in the past, but figured we could have a general catch all as I don't think the activity is enough to have specific threads.

The US lost to Mexico 1-2 in Columbus, usually one of our fortresses (especially against Mexico).  Then proceeded to get slaughtered last night to Costa Rica 4-0.  Both are probably two of the toughest matchups in the Hex, but Klinsmann has continually gotten his selection and tactics wrong.  This latest defeat is crushing and we're starting out the Hex/World Cup qualifying in last place and in a very precarious situation.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Football/Soccer Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:07:40 PM »
Aus is doing crap last I heard.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:52:51 PM »
The Netherlands seems to have improved to the point where it's no longer slaughtered by non-entity teams. Even so the last game played had the reporting going on about how potentially dangerous Luxembourg is.......... really? If you want to play in the big league victory should be assured versus teams like that. Just goes to show how shaken the Dutch team still is from being excluded from the last tournament.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 11:51:23 PM »
And a great shame it is.

Football is not the same without the Dutch.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:40:36 PM »
Bergkamp is still my all time favorite player and there have been many before and after to enjoy too!
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »
Klinsmann out, Arena back in.

not together.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 06:20:25 PM »
Resurrecting.  Perhaps better fortune this time.

Arena was terrible.  US not in the World Cup for the first time since the late 80s and this is the poorest effort I've seen from an American side.  Whatever the team lacked in technical ability I could say they were tenacious and worked hard.  The heart of the squad Arena fielded were MLS players that retreated from European leagues for an easier time and better pay day in the States and it showed on the field most of the time.  For all of Klinsmann's faults I think he was on to something about players challenging themselves.  I'm not opposed to players from the MLS playing on the national team, but when they do it at the price of growth then I'd see it as a red flag (most of the time).  Bradly, Altidore, Dempsey, etc. I hope to never see in anything but C squad games.  I feel bad for players like Pulisic and Yedlin, but hopefully the organization will learn from this.  Hopefully Sunil Gulati is not reelected as president of the USSF. 

Also, weirdly, the U20 and U17 USMNT are generally pretty good. They can't seem to make it to the Olympics, which is a big deal in the US.  Though not the World Cup it's one of the barometers the soccer community uses to see how well the young'uns are doing. 

I think the favorite candidate for an American to take over the US head coach is probably Tab Ramos who is the U20 manager.  Otherwise, I think a 'dream hire' would be David Wagner who manages Huddersfield.  He's a German American in the mold of Klinsmann and has ties with Jurgen Klopp.  I don't see that one anytime soon.  At one point in time I would've really wanted Guus Hiddink, but that ship has sailed...like ten years ago.

not together.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »

not together.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 12:16:07 AM »
I think Germany stand a good chance of repeating.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
I think Germany stand a good chance of repeating.

It's their diet ........... all that cabbage.  :closed-eyes:
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
Plenty of roughage keeps the trains running on time.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »
Plenty of roughage keeps the trains running on time.

It keeps them on track!

Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?