home

Author Topic: 8th edition on route.  (Read 140045 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: 8th edition on route.
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 10:05:46 AM »
I really hope this is good! (and my lovely painted 2000 point admech army isn't shite)

the save system as was just pushed people to spam av3 weapons, and then heightened the importance of cover.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 10:18:11 AM »
So far, it's making me want to play 40K again!

No AP on bolters means that lightly-armoured troops will actually have armour saves!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 10:44:29 AM »
yeh, that alone is a big buff to my dark eldar.

I do hope they retain the dynamic mission play that's in the 7th ed book though.

Lascannons d6 damage. If the big creatures do have dozens of wounds, you're gonna need a lot of lascannons!

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
Dreadnoughts have eight, so I doubt many things will have dozens. Probably just ginormous cheaty things.

They're making a big deal about different modes of play, so I imagine the missions thing will stick around.
If I wanted to.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 12:37:23 PM »
I wonder how they'll handle the three most broken things in the game ATM - grav weaponry, Eldar Wraithknights and Tau Riptides? Bringing 3 Riptides to a game almost guarantees victory. Also what about the Knights?
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 03:09:17 PM »
this is awesome
"So, if you’ve just bought a codex for a new army, or the rules for Warhammer 40,000 itself, in the weeks before the new edition was announced last Saturday, we’ll send you a voucher for the cost of your book. Usually, we’d do this for up to 4 weeks before the update was announced, but as we’re so excited about the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, we’ll be extending this to 8 weeks (8 weeks for the 8th edition!). And of course, you can keep your book(s).

You can claim a voucher no matter where you bought your codex and/or rulebook, as long as you have your proof of purchase and it’s dated between the 25th of February 2017 and the 22nd of April 2017."

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 03:15:43 PM »
It is. Well done to GW!

Also: info on movement.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/27/new-warhammer-40000-movement/

If you’re in combat at the start of your turn, you can Fall Back by moving away from the enemy. You’ll lose the ability to advance, shoot or charge that turn, and crucially, enemies will be able to shoot at you!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:04:33 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 05:07:32 PM »
crucially, you can shoot at the unit that was trapping you!
no more hiding in close combat.

Pass the machete.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
All of the above 👆Extremely exciting
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
 :happy:  So much good news on this front.  I wrote my own set of rules when I was unhappy with 5th/6th, and my gaming group has been using those for a few years now...but the info so far looks like they thought of everything that I did and then some.  I might actually go back to playing with GW's ruleset.  And that would be pretty frickin' sweet.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline Aldaris

• Members

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 07:13:47 PM »
Who are all you excited and positive people and what have you done with the regular posters on this forum? :)
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 07:24:49 PM »
Hey, I've always said my interest would potentially return whenever GW decided that they were about finished having their collective noggins up their asses. Before I lost interest there were simply too many releases that made me seriously ask "do your rules writers even PLAY this fucking game?"

Now it looks like the new edition has potential to be fun again, and I am definitely not opposed to having fun with GW stuff in general. We'll see how it all comes together. Perhaps it's a shitfest after all, perhaps it's the best thing since the invention of dice. But it definitely feels great to be looking forward to a release, following the rumors and speculating. Missed it!
 :-D

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 08:17:52 PM »
I like the simplified look so far.

In particular, having a dual system of monstrous robots and vehicle robots served as a microcosm of what was wrong with the game.

And soulfire.  I mean, what the fuck.  As a rule it was the most annoying thing ever.  It barely did anything mechanically speaking in terms of causing wounds when it mattered, was annoying to keep track of, and was given to literally everything.  It was garbage.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
Thinking back, I'm pretty sure the drop that made my personal barrel spill over was reading the new Eldar codex. "Wait... strength D templates on an infantry unit? OK. I guess I'm out."

Apparently they've been playtesting this new ruleset a lot, and with guys from the community too (I read that frontline gaming was in it for example). Another big, big change compared to former GW - getting feedback from outside their bubble, and actually good players.

The apparent change in culture is the biggest change to me. Makes me happy to think "there lads. You see? Listening to feedback and communicating isn't such a terrible idea fter all, is it?"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:26:22 PM by Aldaris »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »
Yeah, that would have broken me to but I think we quit right before that!

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 08:26:50 PM »

In particular, having a dual system of monstrous robots and vehicle robots served as a microcosm of what was wrong with the game.

And soulfire.  I mean, what the fuck.  As a rule it was the most annoying thing ever.  It barely did anything mechanically speaking in terms of causing wounds when it mattered, was annoying to keep track of, and was given to literally everything.  It was garbage.

Do you mean soulblaze? If so, didn't have a particular problem with, although it was just one more wonky thing to remember at the end of each turn that people normally forgot.

Now if they got rid of warpflame, I might consider a Tzeentch army . . .

If memory serves, soulfire was that thing Warrior Priests did back in Fantasy.
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
Another thing that I really like the sound of: extra command points (which are apparently quite powerful) for "fluffy" armies. They said something to the effect of "you build your army so it fits the background, you'll be rewarded". So maybe you can still go for the "optimize the shit out of your army" approach, but the fluff bunnies won't be completely left out in the cold at least.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 08:48:58 PM »

Another thing that I really like the sound of: extra command points (which are apparently quite powerful) for "fluffy" armies. They said something to the effect of "you build your army so it fits the background, you'll be rewarded". So maybe you can still go for the "optimize the shit out of your army" app proach, but the fluff bunnies won't be completely left out in the cold at least.

Fluff bunnie here creeping in from the cold. I hadn't heard of this but I like the sounds of it.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »

Do you mean soulblaze? If so, didn't have a particular problem with, although it was just one more wonky thing to remember at the end of each turn that people normally forgot.

Now if they got rid of warpflame, I might consider a Tzeentch army . . .

If memory serves, soulfire was that thing Warrior Priests did back in Fantasy.

Yeah thats it!  And I still hate it.  Unnecessary and over complicated.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2017, 12:26:54 AM »
I just ignored it. Whenever I played neither player rolled for anything beyond the initial damage. Waste of time.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2017, 09:14:21 AM »
Apparently they've been playtesting this new ruleset a lot

Playtesting!  :Ohmy:
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
I know, right?
 :ph34r:

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2017, 02:18:01 PM »
God! What have you done with my GW!

Playtesting!? SACRILEDGE!

Anyway, I have real hopes for this one. I hope it means my 7-year old can get an easy way into the game. The new setting have given my oldest son an excuse to rebell, since his Imperial forces just cannot stomach Guilliman getting such a prominent place (fluffwise, the increased problems of communication have made the systems around his homeworld getting the idea that Guilliman having basically made a military coup and taken over as Generallisimo. Being extremely loyal to the throne, his Marine Chapter and associated worlds have declared they follow the True Emperor.

Chapter animosity also play a part.

This means my loyalist will have a totally logical and legit excuse to clash with his forces since my forces are alinged with the Inquisition, especially Ordo Hereticus.  :icon_mrgreen:

My Soviets in space will get to fight in the end!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline oak_prince

• Members
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »
More proof we're living in a bizarro version of the real world. I mean, GW caring about community feedback? Refunds for obsolete codexes?
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone".