home

Author Topic: Making Molds and Instant Mold  (Read 9410 times)

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Ostermark "Themed" Army
Making Molds and Instant Mold
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:53:55 AM »
I am very keen to try my hand at mold making, for some of my army bits and terrain and currently doing research in this area, I know some here on this forum have done their own molds and was wondering if any tips tricks were out there or tips that they learned the hard way?
I have seen this instant Mold(or Oyumaru Instant Mould)from Japan, it looks interesting and may suit smaller parts, etc. I am still going to make one and two piece molds to suit what i need, eg. windows/doors for buildings and a few choice parts that cost the earth to get.
Then make three times that. It should be enough for half the roof Glue
You could certainly amass quite a collection of testicles

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Re: Making Molds and Instant Mold
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:58:12 AM »
I have ordered some Instant Mold and will be experimenting with it - I shall post results and reports as soon as I get it and can have a play with it. Delivery date is in about a week, I think.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:53:33 AM »
I have instant mold and generally like it, but am still learning about it. It definitely does as advertised, but the ability to use it properly is up to you.

Be careful though, as reusing it you want to wash it in cold water first, otherwise any dust/debris will get trapped in the mold material.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:36:45 AM »
I am expecting some molding stuff this week. Will get back to you when I know more. :)
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Ivimotorola

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »
I use silicone molds!! But I don't use instant mold, I hope someone helps you

If you want anything about silicone, make me any question. I'll be happy to help you

Cheers!

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »
I use silicone molds!! But I don't use instant mold, I hope someone helps you

If you want anything about silicone, make me any question. I'll be happy to help you

Cheers!
Can you explain this :unsure:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »
I've used instant mold to make make duplicates of some old marauder shields that I couldn't afford to buy on eBay and it was great for that....just heat it up in hot water for a couple of minutes...press the shield into it and let it harden....then pull the sield out and put GS in and let it harden...an you have yourself a shield.   I think it's good for one of type things...if you are looking to make multiple copies of the same thing you should look to silicone and resin casting.

Let us know how you get on.

Blue
My Painting and Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
Can you cast resin in instamold, or do you have to use an epoxy like GS?
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »
While doing reseach on it, I read an article where someone said you COULD use resin, but you had to make it very thin and small (or, paint on a series of thin layers) because the heat of curing process could deform the thermal plastic of the mold. I suspect it is not recommended, although several commenters said they had got excellent results. It sounded a very delicate process, and would likely be easier to use a silicone mold for resin applications.

Offline Boreas_NL

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 06:13:19 PM »
I also use only silicone molds and have made quite a few myself. Can't help you with the insta stuff...
My bases are for sale/trade! Interested? Hit me with a PM!
http://toysoldiersofftowar.blogspot.nl/

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
If and when i start on the molds I will post all my conclusions/F#@* ups

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 07:19:46 PM »
Must get some instant mold stuff, the re-usability is appealing. Currently I work with fast setting 2 part silicone putty - which is easy to use but not re-usable - and with high temperature RTV silicone liquid - which is a messy sonofabitch but suitable for metal casting. Resin does get quite hot but "ordinary" silicone should cope with it, which is a bit cheaper than the high temp stuff. There are lots of different molding silicones, and lots of resins too, so either experiment yourself or google extensively to find what you need to get!

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:39:46 AM »
I've been making fairly extensive use of Instant Mold. I've not tried it with resin, for the reasons people have already stated to do with the heat. I got it specifically to use with green stuff and Magic Sculp. I've found both to work very well with it, although the Magic Sculp is less clean and leaves fragments that you really need to scrape or wash off before you re-make a mould (as mentioned already).

I've pretty much always used the Instant Mold in a press made of lego, so I could apply real force to ensure things filled in properly. When making 2-part moulds, I found the best was was to make the first half, make the second half on top, and then turn it over and remake the first half. The reason being that when you make the original first half, you can't apply proper pressure because half the model/component is sticking out of the mould. Once it's soundly encased in the second half however, you can lean on it properly when you're remaking the first. If that makes sense...

Biggest trick when using the 2-part moulds is getting the amount of putty right. Bit of an artform, really. Takes practice.

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 01:30:14 AM »
........................  RTV silicone liquid ......

Yeah I was looking at RTV(Room Temperature Vulcanization) Silicone, it may or may not be messy, but seems to be the best stuff to work with, at least to get the best results. It is that or Latex Rubber?!
I am at resin to make what I am after if only for simplicity's sake, I do have some brick walls etc that i would love to make molds of.
I would rather think big on what molds I will make, if I am going to go to the effort I may as well go for it!
Some items I am thinking of making molds for. ........

Windows and doors for buildings etc
Walls and/or Fences
Ruins parts(maybe)
Tombstones(?)

This is my whole point. If/when i start this "little" project I am going to "think big", as once a good quality mold is made I can produce a lot out of it.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 11:01:08 AM »
Well, I got a delivery of my Hoplites today and I have several small components which I need to duplicate a number of times to get the look I want. So, I will be making extensive use of the Instant Mold when it arrives.

I am thinking, with reference to getting the amount of putty right, of attaching a piece of sprue or brass rod to the original component and then making the mold with that in place. Then, I will be able to fill the void for the piece, but not this "vent" space, and have any excess putty squish into the vent space, thus avoiding the problem of overfilling. I don't know how it will work, but it sounds good in theory!

I shall definitely be using the Lego block idea - that is a very good one.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
I don't think you can use latex molds with anything that gets hot. Here's some instructions I've used from an old modelling book:

And you can still buy RTV from Tiranti if you wish, though there are lots of sellers on ebay and beyond.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 10:48:50 PM »
My Instant Mold just arrived and I have had a bit of an experiment with it. I think I did pretty much everything wrong :) BUT! Even with my bleeding finger it looks like I might have got a serviceable casting out of it. In any case; I shall let this set up and show pics. I feel I have also learned some useful tricks and will try them next time around :)

EDIT : Using this stuff seems to be trickier than they make it look on the internet :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:12:44 AM by Darknight »

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 10:39:09 AM »
The packaging of Instant Mold isn't very clear. Pour water of 170 degrees on it. What kind? Fahrenheit? Celsius? Kelvin?

(Of course, common sense helps but geez, come on people, that's not very helpful. You're lucky I'm so smart!)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »
I just used boiling water straight from the kettle and it softened it very well. The difficulty I had was with air pockets forming around the component. I am revising the large amount of duplicating I was planning to do, as it is not nearly as easy as it seems :)

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 02:31:15 PM »
I just used the instant mold to create a mold (and copy) of the blunderbuss parts I traded for. It looks pretty interesting. But if I look at the mold, I suspect that I too have air pockets.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »
I get the impression it will work well - but it requires a lot of trial-and-error, many failures and is not designed to produce large numbers of complex components. For this reason, I am abandoning my idea of creating halberdier hoplites by casting the axe heads (I might still try to make some from plasticard or something, though) and have traded to get some heads for them. I will still be making olive-oil bottles for my Mighty & Well-Oiled Pektoral Warriors, however.

Offline Alleton

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
I've found that the hotter the water, the more likely of air pockets. You don't want to actually boil the water (Which creates bubbles) Just have it hot. I tend to put a coffee cup in a microwave for two minutes on high. It does bubble, but settles down once the microwave is turned off. I soften the mold in it, you will see bubbles clinging to the mold sometimes. Swish the mold around a bit before extracting it and kneading it (I use a spoon) I've had very little problem with bubbles by doing this.

Also, as I understand it, Instant mold isn't really meant for mass producing items, nor is it suitable for resin or other casting materials that generate heat. It's just a quick solution for a few items that are needed and saves time for those items. In that it functions perfectly well.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »
Does anyone know whether it is carcinogenic or has other potentially nasty effects?
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Alleton

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »
Does anyone know whether it is carcinogenic or has other potentially nasty effects?

I wouldn't eat it. Other than that nothing that I know of. It's not actually being burned as many carcinogens require.

Here's a good review/tutorial posted on Chest of Colors:
http://chestofcolors.com/instant-mold-review-tutorial/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:41:42 PM by Alleton »
Demonslayer

Warhammer Plog:

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 05:06:17 PM »
Hmm. I shall try it with cooler water, then . . .

That review is good. I think I have been trying to get the master out of the mold too soon. Also, trying to make double-sized molds is clearly not as easy as it looks. I shall have more of a go this weekend.