home

Author Topic: Removing Glue  (Read 2264 times)

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
Removing Glue
« on: June 29, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
I recently received a new army from a kid who's dad bought it and now the kid doesn't want to play anymore. But anyway the kid put the figs together himself and did a horrible job spearmen with handgunner arms cannon crew that poles with hands jutting out of them and the like. I was wondering if anybody new a way to remove GW glue (or any other glue for that matter) because it seems such a waste to throw away all those pieces and I don't mind putting the effort in to save the army and a few bucks. Any help would be great, thanks.
Larry: WOW! Three sixes in a row!
[Elsewhere]
Darth Vader: I feel a disturbance in the force...

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Re: Removing Glue
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 03:08:08 PM »
Plastic Glue or Super Glue?
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 04:06:15 PM »
What ever GW uses, me thinks it is plastic glue. But it could be either.
[Elsewhere]

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 04:14:13 PM »
I guess its plastic glue, when its plastic models :|

The only way i can think of is to detach the arms and file the glue off. Allthough it will be harder to put the pieces back together.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline BK

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 04:54:47 PM »
Put the figures in the 96% proof alcohol for a day or two - It loosens a glue a bit (you still have to be carefull when pulling parts apart).

Offline wisenheimer

• Members
  • Michigan, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 05:18:28 PM »
Does that work for plastic glues? The plastic glue I use (testors) actually melts the plastic to form a single piece. I've always had to cut mine apart. If that works, it's great to know.

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 07:47:28 PM »
I have noticed that GW glue does look like it's melts or re-bonds the plastic somehow.
[Elsewhere]

Offline BK

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 11:04:23 AM »
Unfortunetly no.

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 09:51:07 PM »
Someone at the local shop suggested Royal Prurple or Blue something that is a car fluid anbody heard of it or know if it is legit?
[Elsewhere]

Offline duckman

• Members
  • Painting Slacker!!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 02:32:05 AM »
Mate, if it's plastic glue you're pretty well rooted. Plastic glue works by basically melting the mating surfaces and bonding them into one part as it were. The only way you're going to be able to use those minis is cut them apart, file off the excess glue and then use the pieces. I've had to do this for a lot of minis I've bought 2nd hand over the net, it is a drag but as you point out, it'll save you a few quid.
Use a jeweller's saw with the finest blade you can get your hands on, this will reduce the amount of waste when cutting the minis, and remember Green Stuff is your friend when it comes to reassembling and/or covering up the previous owner's indiscretions.
Good luck with it.
If on the other hand they've been glued with super glue, hit the joins with some Zap-a-Gap Cyanoacrylate debonder, this stuff is the bomb.

cheers
duckman
The King of Painting Slackness Land. Bow down before my awesome lack of effort!!!!