home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 637154 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #4900 on: April 18, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »
"Gosh, really, Heinrich?" Max says, "that's awfully high praise from you - you're a really amazing fighter. I'll you what though: you are certain to win the archery tourney! I doubt even an elf can shoot better than you can." He smiles. "I think I've been neglecting my physical training. Maybe with a few tips from all of you I can become more the man Father wants me to be."
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4901 on: April 18, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
"Gosh, really, Heinrich?" Max says, "that's awfully high praise from you - you're a really amazing fighter. I'll you what though: you are certain to win the archery tourney! I doubt even an elf can shoot better than you can." He smiles. "I think I've been neglecting my physical training. Maybe with a few tips from all of you I can become more the man Father wants me to be."

"Being strong or good at fighting is not what makes you a man, Max. Oxen are strong, and would your father allow one in his home? A beastman is good at fighting, could he have a title and land? There will always be someone stronger than you, always someone better at fighting than you. What makes you a man is here" Heinrich points at Max's head, "and more importantly: here." Heinrich points at Max's chest. "What you think, what you stand for, your compassion, the way you treat others and whether you will use what strength you possess to protect those who don't have it. These are what make a man. I have met your father, Max. You are a greater man than he can hope to be. I know Julian will agree with me. Our talents are for martial skills, but I envy your mind and your knowledge. I do not have half your compassion or your love for mankind. In these ways you are forever superior to me, Max. I won't let you say otherwise."

Heinrich looks away, having surprised himself with this spontaneous speech. He wasn't sure why he felt so ... paternal towards Max. The boy wasn't even all that much younger than he, but the gap in worldweariness was vast.

CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4902 on: April 18, 2013, 02:08:54 PM »
Max has a tear in his eye as he listens to Heinrich's speech. "Heinrich! I... uh... I'm overwhelmed. Um... I think you're being unfair to yourself, and far too generous to me... but it means so much, coming from you. Uh. I'll always try my hardest to live up to your expectations. Um. Thank you, sir."

He looks down at the floor, blushing. He's simultaneously filled with pride at Heinrich's praise, and embarrassed because he thinks that he doesn't deserve it.
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4903 on: April 18, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
"Aye," Admund says, "Heinrich has the right of it. My back still hurts, but I guess you tried your best to stop the flogging, Max. I guess that I have to just accept that you lot are sure to bring a little pain my way. Sigmar knows I always end up going the pain way whether I try or not." Admund gives a wolfish smirk, "I can take my licks though, and I just won't let Klaus do the talking to the watch for me anymore."

"Julian certainly fought well," Admund continues, "He read Dieter like a book! Turning him about so Dieter's savage strikes would land in off kilter. Dieter has the look of a good fighter. Measured. Calm. I'd grab an ale with him, aye. Julian bested him though, and that's no small business. He seemed awfully gracious 'bout it too. Unlike that piss ass elf that was up there. I'm sure Heinrich will put him in his place though. You any good with that longbow?

Admund will continue to follow the party to the Ale Festival. He will assist Heinrich if he needs for the archery tournament. If not, he will watch from the stands with the rest.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4904 on: April 18, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »
"I didn't do enough, Admund," Max says seriously, "I should have been able to prevent your flogging... I would quite understand if you blamed me. I know very well how painful it is... you took it very bravely. I would have rather taken the lashes myself than seen them given to all of you." He sighs. "But instead, my punishment is my guilt. Um. Unless you want to hit me. I understand if you do."

He looks a ludicrous figure with his bright clothes and his expression of noble self-sacrifice.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4905 on: April 19, 2013, 04:24:45 AM »
"Nonsense, Max. None of us blame you, and anyone who tries will find my fist halfway through their nose before they finish the sentence." To Admund he says: "I am competent with the longbow, but the feats of elfish bowmen are the things of legend. I would not bet your life savings on me."

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4906 on: April 19, 2013, 05:44:16 AM »
"Heh. Elves sure are. Don't worry. I'd never bet my life savings..." Admund says with a wolffish smirk. He pats the reward money in his pocket that Klaus sent he and Ragni to collect yesterday before being arrested.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4907 on: April 19, 2013, 10:00:10 AM »
Max smiles gratefully at Heinrich's words. Then he says, "I'll certainly bet on you to win, Heinrich. I don't feel it would be a risk at all!"
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4908 on: April 19, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »
[Mortus]

"No, Miss Mortus, I did not," the Doktor says, sitting beside her. The boat is making excellent progress, thanks to a strong current and a fair wind. "I learned only that a great disaster was averted here. Those responsible were dealt with, and the danger is now passed." He looks at her with a serious expression. "You will know more of this than I... your involvement was... considerable." He sighs. "The enemy is everywhere, Miss Mortus. How are we to fight them when we do not know who they are?"
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #4909 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:49 PM »
"Considerable is an overstatement of my involvement, Doktor," Mortus says.   "I was in the wrng place at the wrong time and needed to act.   I assure you that it was not done by intent."   Mortus' face grows serious.   "We must seek out the enemy, we must not allow them to know our true identity, we must fight them where we find them.   Do you know much of Middenhiem, Doktor.   I have not been there sice I was very young?"

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4910 on: April 19, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »
Allavandrel shakes Julian's hand out of politeness, but he tries to minimize the contact.

The crowd cheer - it's a good speech, being short and unchallenging. Julian hopes his hints about the importance of dwarfs have made an impression, but it's hard to tell. Certainly the dwarfs in the audience appreciated his words.

"An excellent speech, Mr Stonebridge," General Schwermutt says, "I think Allavandrel was worried you'd make a scene, but I told him you'd have more discretion than that. Were you hurt at all during the fight? I hope you will be fit enough to defend your title."

"Thank you General, I won't make a scene... but I hope you understand that I would like to talk to you about the tax law. Firstly, the levels are so punitively high, I was just wondering if perhaps you could shed some light on why the tax was instituted, General?

No, I wasn't hurt in the fight, although I had a little run in with the watch... But certainly nothing to stop me defending the title"
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4911 on: April 20, 2013, 12:27:43 AM »
[Julian and Ragni]

Ragni keeps quiet and stays behind Julian, determined not to embarrass him by saying the wrong thing. He's not entirely sure what a squire is supposed to do anyway.

The general looks unhappy when Julian raises the issue of the taxes. "Mr Stonebridge, I want you to understand that I and my two comrades - that is, Commander Schutzmann and Marshall von Genscher - feel that the military should not involve itself in politics. It's not our place to do so. There have been military coups in the past, as I'm sure you know, and no good ever comes of them. That said, we do not like the new taxes. As you say, they are excessively high, and they target entirely the wrong people. If anyone should be more harshly taxed, it is the merchants - though that will not happen so long as the Merchants' Guild controls the very Komission that was established to regulate them.

"Instead, the taxes do nothing but weaken the city. We cannot afford to lose the dwarfs or the wizards... and while the temple tax is less immediately harmful, it is disrupting the delicate balance of power between the churches of Ulric and Sigmar. Mr Stonebridge, I have worked and fought beside your people all my life. I know what a vital part of the city the dwarfs are, and how much we owe them... but I am in a difficult position. Graf Boris is... unwell. There are those at court who are taking advantage of his infirmity to influence him into doing things that are against his character. The Graf has always respected dwarfs. Someone has poisoned his mind against you.

"But I do not know who is responsible, and I cannot risk taking any direct action. If you are determined to get an answer to your questions, Mr Stonebridge, I advise you to speak to Chancellor Sparsam. It has been some time since I've spoken to him myself, but I have always found him to be very good at his job. He can surely explain the thinking behind the taxes, and tell you whose idea they were in the first place.

"When you say you had a 'run-in' with the watch... what exactly do you mean? Are you saying you were beaten by watchmen? Was this related to the taxes? This sounds like a matter that should be raised with Commander Schutzmann."

The watch commander is currently busy talking to Allavandrel the huntmaster. Meanwhile, the Knight Eternal is attempting to chat to Petra. She looks bored.

[does Julian want to speak to Commander Schutzmann?]
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4912 on: April 20, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
'Oh no general, it was nothing... Well, to be honest, I fought a dual without a second, so technically I was in the wrong.

Anyway, it is nice to know there are still men of honour in the empire. I would never want you involved in a coup, but knowing I might have your support even only with words is a great help, I fully intend to o find out why the tax was institituted, and by who. Do you know how I might most effectively get to meet sparsam.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4913 on: April 20, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »
The general smiles. "Ah, dueling... I have fought a few duels in my time. But yes, it is important to do things properly if you are to avoid legal troubles. Say no more, Mr Stonebridge. There is little shame in taking a few lashes in such circumstances. It certainly did not impair your ability to fight!

"I think I can speak for the other Midden Marshalls too when I say that we endorse your investigation into the taxes. You have our support, provided you act with discretion, and I hope that you will come to us if you uncover any hard evidence of wrongdoing.

"Meeting the chancellor may prove difficult... he is not a sociable man, and rarely leaves his apartments at the palace. He may agree to an interview there... but I have heard that he was almost attacked by angry dwarfs the other day, so he is keeping an even lower profile than usual. He is fond of opera, so you may encounter him at the Royal College of Music. He also collects antiques, which may be a way of inducing him to meet you. Aside from that, I'm afraid I can tell you very little about him." He smiles again. "He and I have nothing in common."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:19:02 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4914 on: April 20, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
"Thank you general, a pleasure to meet you. maybe we can share a pint some time" Julian shakes the mans hand enthusiastically then goes to meet the others.

[my character sheet says i still have 1066 crowns. was that really after the tax? worried I forgot to take it off!]

He will place a bet on Heinrich in the archery competition. If he does have 1066 he will place 100 crowns.

He will relate his conversation with the general to the others, and ask Max "do you think my shield and sword might rouse his interest in antiques? I suppose I could go to the opera to meet him, but I think that is more Klaus' crowd"

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4915 on: April 20, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »
[I can only assume your character sheet is correct about how much money you have! You did find some in the wizard's lab, remember.]

The general readily agrees to have a drink sometime, and wishes Julian luck for the next two days of challenges.

As he and Ragni leave the stage and walk towards the others, Julian is politely mobbed by a crowd of very young dwarfs. They surround him, congratulating him on his victory and bashfully asking him if he needs any errands running. Ragni shoos them away, laughing. "Don't get in the Boss's way, beardlings!" he says, firmly but not unkindly, "he's got me to fetch and carry for him! Run along now... but make sure you watch him fight again tomorrow! He's going to win this for dwarfs everywhere!" The young dwarfs obediently withdraw and watch Julian from a distance instead.

Max insists on shaking Julian's hand. "Mr Julian, sir, that was a wonderful speech! You judged that perfectly." He listens carefully to Julian's account of his conversation with the general. "Gosh, you've made a good ally there, sir. The general is right to worry about involving the military in politics, of course. Anyone who's studied history will know what a mistake that would be. Even so, having the support of the Midden Marshals will definitely help solve this tax mystery. Um. And maybe the watch commander will look more favourably on my letter after seeing you fight today, sir. I hope so anyway!

"Hmmm, I'm certain that your sword and shield would interest the chancellor, sir," Max says, looking thoughtful, "the sword especially, since we know so much about its history. But surely you wouldn't part with them, sir? He'd want them for his collection... then again, he might be grateful just for the chance to look at them. I don't fancy the opera either, sir... my father didn't approve of opera, so we never went when I lived at home. Then, when I was in Nuln I went to one," he smiles at the memory of this small rebellion, "but I didn't enjoy it very much. Anyway, I don't suppose the chancellor would want to talk to strangers when he's just gone out to enjoy himself. Klaus would be able to charm him, of course, but I don't think the rest of us could manage it. He'd tell us to leave him alone. No, I think using his interest in antiques is more likely to succeed, sir."

The square is now being prepared for the archery tourney, which is due to start shortly. A row of targets are being placed: each is circular, with concentric rings of green (the outermost ring), blue, yellow, red, and white (the center). Each colour gives a different score, obviously greater the nearer the arrow lands to the center. Bows and arrows are provided - the rules call for normal bows rather than longbows, to allow more people to compete. There is no entry fee, but competitors are expected to make a small donation to a priestess of Shallya who is wandering around with a collection bowl.

Competitors simply have to present themselves to a scribe sitting at a desk and give their name: they are then loaned a bow and six arrows. The event lasts for three days in total. The winner of each day's shooting receives a silver medal, and the overall winner for all three days gets the golden champion's medal.

A halfling in an outrageous hat is running a book on the tourney. He's waiting to see all the competitors before offering odds.

Allavandrel the elf is competing, and is the favourite to win. He's currently chatting to his friend Dieter Schmiedehammer about the former champion's defeat.

"Um," Max says quietly, "I was thinking about entering myself! I'm not very good... but I thought it would be fun!"
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4916 on: April 20, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
Heinrich will sign up, of course, and also encourages Max to compete. (Remember, without a Longbow my BS is only 88.)

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4917 on: April 20, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »
Admund will congratulate Julian on a battle well fought. He's been fuming about the Bardin business since yesterday, but his attitude toward the rest of the party is coming around. After witnessing Julian's actions two nights ago against the demon, and his performance against Schmiedehammer today, he has a sort of respect for Julian that he didn't have before.

"Well done, Stonebridge." Admund says offering his hand in congratulations.

Admund will observe the archery tournament and wish Heinrich luck. He would enter the tournament, but he hardly knows how to shoot a bow, having used a crossbow for most his life. He'll place a 20 crown bet on Heinrich when the halfling bookie is giving odds.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4918 on: April 20, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »
Max doesn't need too much encouragement to join the tourney. He's very pleased that Heinrich thinks it's a good idea.

Dieter is intending to watch the archery contest, but just then a blonde young woman approaches him and takes his hand. "I just heard," she says, "Dieter, I'm so sorry you lost your title."

He smiles, "I don't mind at all, Kirsten. My opponent fought better than I did, so he deserved to win. Anyway, now we can finally get married! We'll buy that blacksmith's shop, like we said."

They kiss. As the two of them leave the square, Dieter calls out to Julian. "I'll see you at the ale tent this evening, Julian," he says, "we'll have that drink you promised me!"

The Knight Eternal is walking up and down in the square, apparently just so people can see him in his fancy armour. Aside from Allavandrel, he's the only one of the dignitaries who watched the challenge fights who is still here. He salutes as an extremely tall, broad-shouldered man with thick black hair marches toward him. The man is wearing the same ceremonial uniform as the general and the watch commander were wearing. "Marshal von Genscher," the Knight Eternal says, "good afternoon. I hope you are well."

"Thank you, Sir Siegfried," the marshal says, "I'm here to watch my son Hermann compete in the tourney."

By now, all the competitors have assembled. There are eighteen of them, plus Heinrich and Max. Most of them look like mercenaries of various types (about as many men as women), judging by their clothing and demeanor, but there are also a few young nobles. The marshal's son is easy to spot, since he closely resembles his father. Allavandrel is the only elf competitor, though a small group of other elves have arrived to watch him. Looking rather out of place is a boy of about fifteen, barefoot and dressed in worn, patched clothes. When he gives his name to the scribe, he does so with a strong, Hochland accent. He keeps his eyes fixed on the floor, except when he glances up at a similarly poorly-dressed couple who are presumably his parents.

"Hello," Max says to the boy, "Don't be nervous! I'm sure you're a much better shot than I am!" The boy smiles and mutters a thank you.

The halfling bookie now opens up for bets. He decides that Heinrich looks like a good archer, so sets the odds at 3:2. Admund places 20 crowns on him. Julian wants to place 100, but the halfling apologizes and says his limit is 60. So Julian puts that on instead, and Ragni does the same.
Max was intending to bet, but now that he's competing he isn't allowed to. Most people are betting on the elven huntmaster, despite the unprofitable odds.

The scribe who took the entrants' names now announces the beginning of the contest. "Ladies and gentlemen," he says, "welcome to the first day of the Middenheim grand tournament of archery!"
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4919 on: April 20, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
The tourney has a relaxed atmosphere. While everyone is intending to do their best to win, they are all polite and friendly toward the other competitors. The skill level of the contestants varies considerably, but no one is mocked for shooting poorly - in fact, the spectators enthusiastically applaud everyone regardless of how well they do. This is partly because so many of the crowd are drunk, of course.

The contestants shoot four at a time (since there are four targets). Each shoots six arrows, and the scores are totaled. 100 points are scored for hitting the center (which is white), 90 for red, 60 for yellow, 40 for blue, and 20 for green.

In his first round of shooting, Heinrich hits the bull's eye once, plus a red, three yellows and a green, giving him a total of 390 points.

Max manages to narrowly miss the target twice, but scores one each of red, yellow, blue and green for a total of 210.

Allavandrel gets four reds, a yellow and a green for 440 points!

The Hochlander boy is almost as good, getting four reds, a blue and a green for 420 points.

No one else gets very close to Heinrich's score, though the marshal's son manages a respectable 330.

In the second round, Heinrich does rather better, scoring 480 points.

Max amazingly gets two bull's eyes! His score for this round is a very solid 360.

Allavandrel is clearly a bit shaken, to the extent that one of his arrows glances off the edge of the target and clatters to the floor! He still gets a total of 370.

The Hochlander gets 390.

In the third and final round, Heinrich scores 440, hitting the bull's eye once.

Max gets 270.

Allavandrel scores 380.

The Hochlander gets 360.

The contest is now over. The scribe adds up the scores, then announces the result. "In third place, with an excellent score of 1170 points, is Jacob from Hochland!"

The boy smiles shyly. His father yells out, "well done son!" in his strong accent.

"In second place," the scribe continues, "with a score of 1190, it's last year's champion, Allavandrel Fanmaris!"

The elf laughs, bowing ironically to the crowd. "Not good enough this time!" he says, not sounding too upset.

"And so, in first place with a titanic score of 1310... it's Heinrich des Untergangs! Come and get your medal, Heinrich!"

Heinrich is awarded a small silver medal with an image of an arrow striking an archery target, surmounted by the city's crest. The other competitors congratulate him on his success, especially Allavandrel.

"That was phenomenal shooting," the elf says, "you really showed me up!" He laughs, shaking Heinrich's hand. "Maybe I'll get my own back tomorrow? I hope you'll be competing then, Heinrich?" He chats to Heinrich about bows and shooting in general.

Admund won 10 crowns on his stake of 20. Julian won 30 on his stake of 60, as did Ragni.

Max came somewhere in the middle of the rankings with his score of 840. He's extremely proud to have done so well, since he expected to come last.

[Heinrich can ask Allavandrel (the Graf's huntmaster) any questions he likes. Marshal von Genscher (the third of the Midden Marshals) and the Knight Eternal are also here.]
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4920 on: April 21, 2013, 04:18:08 AM »
Heinrich will thank Allavandrel for his praise, and compliment him back. He will ask about the elf's technique and admire his stance. He assures the elf that he will compete in all of the archery contests. He will also make a point of congratulating the Hochland boy, pointing out that he was only beaten by an elf huntmaster and a winner of the tournament in Nuln. He will not ask any controversial questions right now, preferring to bide his time since he knows he will meet these people again whether he comes in first or third tomorrow.

After he breaks away from the officials he will praise Max on his ability and his respectable score.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4921 on: April 21, 2013, 08:16:23 AM »

While walking to her apartmens Klaus will smile a lot at the wizard and chatter with her about different topics talking in a pleasant tone...
"Ah yes students, most of them are not even worth the effort, only the influence and the coin of their fathers bring them to the universities to end their boredom, but that said there are some that become men that make our Empire great...I have one of such individuals travelling with me and he is helping us immensly with his skills as a lawyer and healer, but for me even more important he helps me writing my book. Curiosity leads me from one place to the next and the wonders and marvels I have encountered should be written down so others can take a glimpse of them. "
Reaching her apartment Klaus will look around and if able read the title of some books if there are some as soon as she is done speaking Klaus will answer her with a more determined...serious tone looking at her and his smile gone from his face.

"And foolishness it is...as are some other things going on in the Empire. I am not sure if you are aware of the strange laws the Emperor has passed these last months, like the one regarding mutants. Something is going on, something to bring ruin to the Empire. Neither the Emperor nor the Elector Count have been seen a lot lately and still strange laws are passed that just make no sense to anyone with his wits still left to him. From what we....that is the people I am travelling with and myself... have learned someone is working as a power behind the throne [sorry couldnīt resist] and has to be stopped. For this I need to know as much as possible to learn about the machinations of how he is manipulating people in places of power to do his bidding, I assume with blackmailing them or forcing their hands in other ways. When the time is ripe to make accusations I will be in need of your help but I have to make sure who my allies and who my enemies are before I reveal too much...I am sure you can understand this. So can you tell me....everything you know about how this laws came to be passed...also please tell me what you know about the Law Lords and, this Elf Ralane and how the people in Middenheim stand to the Emperor in Altdorf or what news have reached the city so far."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4922 on: April 21, 2013, 04:51:20 PM »
[Heinrich, Julian, Admund, Max, Ragni]

"You might be the best bowman I've ever seen, Heinrich," Allavandrel says, "I'd need to be at my best to beat you... but the truth is, I am somewhat out of practice. The Graf used to love hunting, but he hasn't called a hunt for months now. While I have escorted the occasional visiting noble on a stag-hunt, it is not the same as a week-long expedition into the deepest forest in search of beastman lairs! My skills are atrophied with disuse. Still, now that I have someone truly excellent to strive against... why, I shall feel quite inspired! Tomorrow, Heinrich, I will give you a closer fight - ha, that is if that young pup does not upstage us both!" He smiles at the Hochlander lad, who blushes furiously and stares at his own feet.

Heinrich goes over to congratulate the boy himself. "Thank ya, mister," he says quietly, not daring to look Heinrich in the face, "kind o' ya to say I done well. You an' Mr Elf are a lot better 'n me. I'm the best in my village, but it's just a little place. Me Da brought me here hopin' someone'd take me on as a bowman. I loves shootin,'  ya see, mister."

Indeed, the boy's parents are currently speaking to Marshal von Genscher, so he may well get his wish.

Max glows with pride as Heinrich congratulates him. "I never thought I'd do as well as that, Heinrich! I thought I'd be dead last... but I really did quite well! Thank you so much for encouraging me to enter... in fact, it was you who encouraged me to buy a bow, back in Bogenhafen. I need to practice more, I think... I'd love it if you could give me some tips sometime, when you aren't too busy. You really are an exceptionally good shot - not even that elf could beat you, and he's an expert hunter!"

"Aye, you did well, Max lad," Ragni says, "and Heinrich - ha, you won it, and you won us our bets too! I knew you were a sure thing. I'll buy you some drinks later, mate!"

Admund realises that it is getting close to the start of the minotaur fights, which are to be held at the stadium in the great park.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4923 on: April 21, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »
[Mortus]

The Doktor nods, deep in thought. Then he notices the question, and replies. "Indeed, Miss Mortus, I have visited the city of Middenheim on a few occasions, once during their famous carnival. I would not say I know it well... their Guild of Wizards is a most historical institution, you know, far older than the colleges in Altdorf. And far more broad-minded, also. The colleges have focus, but but lack imagination. One can study many things at the Middenheim guild... ancient secrets..." His expression is dreamlike, as he gazes out over the water. Then, quite suddenly he meets her gaze.

"Miss Mortus: you are already much accomplished in the arcane arts, but you are young. There is a great deal for you to learn. It may be that we go into peril, and I would prepare you for that, if I can. Will you accept my tutelage?"
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #4924 on: April 21, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »
Mortus feels a cold shiver pass up her spine, her body tenses slight as if she is preparing to run.   She forces a smile, though if the doktor is looking at he will notice that she is uncomfortable.   She inhales deeply.

"I had a good teacher at a young age, doktor," she says.   "He taught me to be imaginative with magic and also to beware those who were narrowminded and over zealous."   Mortus looks out over the water, following the doktor's gaze.   Speaking of Vacc seems to have calmed her a little.

"I would be happy for any instruction that you would willing to offer, doktor," she says.   "However you will understand if I desire to keep such tutelage private and secret.   It may effect my position as a merchant if it became known that I had magic.   You understand how the ill informed are on this sort of thing."