home

Author Topic: Thinking of getting back into 40k  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Thinking of getting back into 40k
« on: October 04, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »
I've heard positive stuff on the new edition, so figure it makes sense to try it out again...

I have a reasonably substantial (mostly unpainted) Tau force, and I know a lot of people think Tau are lame, but I like them!

Are they a viable force in the current environment? I always felt the lack of CC really hurt, as it essentially neutered you for one phase of the game, and made playing with Tau either be Tau shoot the enemy up enough as they cross the table and win, or they don't shoot enough and get massacred in CC...
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
Re: Thinking of getting back into 40k
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 04:11:02 PM »
We have a tau player, who says they are too useless to use.  He now plays as orks and is doing a much better job.

Close combat just seems a lot better than shooting, which really makes no sense in 40k, but the sheer amount of power weapons availiable to most armies chop up tau big time.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »
guess I wont be getting back into 40k then, haha.

Pass the machete.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »
My advice is give it a go with the models you have.  If it doesn't cost any money its worth a shot  :-D

With two of three scenarios involving holding objectives, shooting is viable, but really its better for defending objectives than actually taking new ones.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »
There is no reason you couldn't use Tau models for some other army. Also Tau are actually very good still, you just need to be a bit more manuverable because every has cover saves (Basically) now. The good ole fire warrior gunline doesn't work as well, but in transports supported by devilfish and crisis suits tehy can be nasty. CS what list does your local tau player run?
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 06:46:44 PM »
Notts, Tau ARE viable! Sure, they suffer in CC, but they can kick some serious ass with their firepower. The Mech tau approach is somewhat weaker now, but not that weak.
And if it is some CC coming, you always got the kroots.

I say you seriously should give it a try, Notts! Get over here, to www.tauonline.org and study.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 07:49:09 PM »
Kroot are eaten whole by orcs and then they look for seconds. 

Orks is da best!

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 10:31:03 PM »
Orks are cool, but I am ridiculously poor, and have Tau already so....

but Kroot can't have power weapons, or have saves. I thought it was fairly standard to not have any...

Pass the machete.

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 04:00:01 AM »
Yah but those Tau vehicles got a whole lot tougher. 

I likes the Orkses, for they never lose, but I never had a clean win against tau.
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Duce

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 09:19:50 AM »
(If this is a nono someone please say and I will happily remove it)

Notts,

On the note of being poor gamer, If your getting back into the game I assume you need the rules, if so Get a Assault on Black Reach boxset and if you pick the orks team then I'll swap my orks for your marines (UK based so postage isn't much) meaning you get a nice big ork army which only needs minor vehicle support (Drednaughts/trukks etc). If We're both going to BritBash (hehe BB) We can save postage and swap there, saving even more for us to spend on the day on models. Also means some practise games since i'm only getting back into it also.

I think the list would give you

2 bosses
10 nobs
6 defkoptas
40 boys

thats at least 1200 I think straight off the bat, 300 points for armoured units and your done.

------
As I said above sorry if this is bad behaviour, I know i'm technically talking about a trade but I figured since Notts wants back into 40k, and explained hes a cheap gamer it would help him get an army up to speed which people claim is viable since Tau aren't supposedly.
Northern Ireland Blood Bowl League Experience - NIBBLE
http://nibble.playsboard.com/forum.htm