home

Author Topic: Anti-40K Sentiment ...  (Read 16126 times)

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
Re: Anti-40K Sentiment ...
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »
She's inane!

What a ____ idiot.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 06:00:51 PM »
I must say I'm amazed.

Well, at least she's ambitious in her rantings...

I would like to read her thoughts on Dark elves  :biggriin:

Imagine what she could do if we directed her in the right direction :-)

Good answers, Obi! Pity she wont hear them.

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »
Wow...
Now, I'll admit that I don't like 40k terribly much (Just because it's not my style and that humanity in the grim darkness of the far future can go die in a hole for all I care with their worship of a rotting corpse, prevalence of xenophobia, and fear of technology), but I just really can't see why the (INSERT SWEAR WORD HERE) some ignorant (INSERT SWEAR WORD HERE) would go further than even most people who oppose the use of video games. And, isn't 40k pointing out the horrors of war with its subtitle "In the grim darkness of the FAR future there is only war..."?
Some people shouldn't be allowed to read science fiction. Besides, I regularly play Fallout 3 and Gears of War, possibly 2 of the darkest games out there, and I haven't been turned into a mindless, droning psychopath.
Though I do display a sizable degree of patriotism to my home country...
-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline Boldrick

• Members
  • My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 07:22:42 PM »
Well i dont really like this !@#$%ing "kill everything that is not like you for no reason" propaganda...
And its not just the 40k "purge xenos" thing
All around their everyday life kids and most importandly teenagers have their character shaped by the media and videogames

Offline Mathias von Hochland

• Members
  • Burninating since '03
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 08:48:31 PM »
*sigh* It doesn't matter what a random person thinks about something. They are just one person in a world of billions. We don't have thought-crime laws yet, so why give a damn about this person thinking the "wrong" ( :dry:) thing?

If I remember correctly, the last time someone posted something an "outsider" to the hobby said about warhammer, we got all upset and stuff. Shadowlord was there to give us some sage advice. I can't remember the exact words, but it probably involved growing some balls and using them to intimidate your elderly next-door neighbour's wife until she orgasms. A cat may have been involved, I don't remember exactly.

By the way, a little joke I just thought of: "Innocence Proves Nothing, use (mathematical) induction instead..." :icon_lol: [/mathjoke]

You, sir, command my respect for showing this amount of testicular fortitude!
Take me on in mortal combat!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 11:27:19 PM »

By the way, a little joke I just thought of: "Innocence Proves Nothing, use (mathematical) induction instead..." :icon_lol: [/mathjoke]

That makes no sense... :ph34r:

And leave us to our rallying around a single cause to take out our frustration on an outsider.  If you quell the animosity then we'll just turn on each other.  Or maybe I've been hanging around too much with orcs?
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 11:37:32 PM »

That makes no sense... :ph34r:

And leave us to our rallying around a single cause to take out our frustration on an outsider.  If you quell the animosity then we'll just turn on each other.  Or maybe I've been hanging around too much with orcs?

Im not sure I get the joke either.

And Wiss, no worries, just put a Black orc hero in her unit, then we dont need to worry about any animosity.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 12:21:56 AM »
She's clearly either delusional or some sort of troll. If the former is the case, her mindset and style of writing reeks of fiery religious conviction against a board game played with small plastic soldiers. People won't take this seriously, and as such it's nothing to get riled up over.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 04:21:50 AM »
*sigh* It doesn't matter what a random person thinks about something. They are just one person in a world of billions. We don't have thought-crime laws yet, so why give a damn about this person thinking the "wrong" ( :dry:) thing?
I've encountered these types of folks previously, and they start movements.  It's good to know what's being argued on the other side, and be aware of those who would seek to end other's enjoyment and freedoms. Being prepared can be wise.  :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Lord Etharion

• Members
  • RIP Rufas
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 05:55:39 AM »
Really? What was the last movement you encountered? I know the moral guardians took a dislike to DnD and videogames, but last I checked they are both still going strong, and Jack Thompson got disbarred.
Quote from: Shadowlord
Moo-moo land here I come.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I only wish moo-moo land didn't have an internet connection.

Offline Justnorth

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 06:40:09 AM »
Normally it's just a lot of hot air about not very much but i can remember a small club of wargamers that was hiring a church hall for their meetings.
As it happened the person in charge of hiring the hall out from the congregation changed and the new person was deeply offended when they saw a beautifully painted Chaos Daemon army on the table.
The club was booted out of their timeslot and denied access to the church hall after that.
Very odd behaviour.
Some people cannot divorce reality from a game.
GW can pucker their skanky lips and suck my arse.

He's French. Since when do his plans have to be feasible?

Offline Mathias von Hochland

• Members
  • Burninating since '03
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 09:59:10 AM »
Explanation of my joke: "Innocence proves Nothing" is like, the coolest quote from Warhammer 40k, and in that article I was addressed in a scathing way. Ergo it was a relevant thing to talk about given the situation. It was more of a "witty" comment than a joke really, but I was doing the classic comedic twist of using a word with two meanings, saying it almost ambiguosly in the first part, but in a way that the context makes it seem like one meaning of the word, but in the second part of the sentence meaning it in the other way. Or something like that. Effectively I was saying that innocence is not a valid method of proof, and instead induction, the most easily stated sort of mathematical proof should be used. I said it was a math joke...

@justnorth: I know what you mean, whenever you hear people decrying videogames for encouraging children to commit violence, you can't help but wonder whether these people realize it's just a game, like the majority of safe gamers out there; the people who genuinely shouldn't be playing the game are the very ones who say the game is bad; if you can't tell the difference between a videogame and reality, you need help.
You, sir, command my respect for showing this amount of testicular fortitude!
Take me on in mortal combat!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »
To some of the most ardent, there is no divorcing satan from anything.  His fingers are everywhere!

Chaos Demons are the gateway army to virgin sacrifices.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 12:59:21 PM »
What I find particularly funny is this bit: "The Space Marines will condition your child to see the genetic mutilation of his or her body as desirable and good, because here it is framed in a way to make it sound like the road to being superhuman.  Being superhuman then must be a good and desirable thing."

Space Marines are superhuman. Yet, because they become superhuman in order to protect humanity (in most cases...), they give up that very humanity. It's very much an ironic, maybe tragic or comedic, in the most literary sense possible, twist.

She must love King Lear...

Also: "Azrael, (Israel?) the supreme Grand Master who's "codex" description sounds like something out of a high mason's ceremony.  "

So? What's wrong with differing religions?
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 04:14:35 PM »
 :icon_lol:.

Very amusing diatribe indeed. Especially funny is the ending where she changes tack to finish with an anti-television rant.

I can imagine that when she is not busily defending children from evil board games, she spends her time convincing young women that they are being oppressed by the patriarchal society and that all men are rapists. Maybe she should just put on her love beads and head back to the '60s to spit on American soldiers with the rest of the hippy scum.

The argument about (insert evil influence of your choice) 'corrupting the young' is as old as the hills, back to when Urg told Grug that "these new super-efficient flint tools are making the next generation lazy, we should ban them and stay with our tried-and-tested sharpened sticks".

In my own youth, I didn't have the pleasure of video games with high resolution graphics to corrupt my mind but I did read a fair few comic books. Unlike American Marvel and DC comics, British comics weren't about super heroes; they were about war in a whole variety of forms. Judge Dredd taught me that society's problems could be solved by the immediate sentencing and summary execution of "law breakers". Charley's War, my favourite comic strip ever, entertained with graphic scenes from WW1 that make 'Saving Private Ryan' look mediocre.

B.

Offline Boldrick

• Members
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2009, 05:17:12 PM »
Anyone knows where i can find her e-mail?

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »

Doesn't matter, she'll ignore you.  :-P

Offline Boldrick

• Members
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2009, 07:22:13 PM »
I m just gonna say i love her no big deal

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2009, 09:35:59 PM »
Really? What was the last movement you encountered? I know the moral guardians took a dislike to DnD and videogames, but last I checked they are both still going strong, and Jack Thompson got disbarred.
Check the history books, I'm sure you'll find some.  Thankfully it doesn't mean they'll win just because they exist. :icon_wink: :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2009, 09:38:12 PM »
Normally it's just a lot of hot air about not very much but i can remember a small club of wargamers that was hiring a church hall for their meetings.
As it happened the person in charge of hiring the hall out from the congregation changed and the new person was deeply offended when they saw a beautifully painted Chaos Daemon army on the table.
The club was booted out of their timeslot and denied access to the church hall after that.
Very odd behaviour.
Some people cannot divorce reality from a game.
I once brought an Avalon Hill game into a church for a youth group event, and the pastor was fascinated by it. :icon_cool:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »

Doesn't matter, she'll ignore you.  :-P
I m just gonna say i love her no big deal
I was going to respond to Merrick's as follows, "Or she'll rant at you."

However, if you are spreading love, becareful she might try to reel you in. :icon_lol: :icon_wink:

Offline Boldrick

• Members
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2009, 09:56:45 PM »
Still i have no adress to mail her  :icon_confused:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2009, 10:55:46 PM »
True.  Not sure what to say.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2009, 11:15:58 PM »
Weve all seen the Dark Dungeons cartoon by the totally batshit insane Jack Chick right?

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2009, 12:26:50 AM »
Weve all seen the Dark Dungeons cartoon by the totally batshit insane Jack Chick right?

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

What the hell is that?

That comic to me conveys quite a strange message. That D&D is synonomous with religion. Is it really? Is the Bible just like a piece of D&D Lore? Is a group of gamers just like a congregation of bible studyers? I'm not sure if that cheapens religion, or raises D&D to some kind of crazy status, but I really don't think that comic was very well thought out...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.