home

Author Topic: The Imperial Herald  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
The Imperial Herald
« on: May 05, 2022, 10:45:23 PM »
I was just thinking of the Imperial Herald miniature from the 4th/5th edition line. Kind of an odd figure that wasn't given a specific place in the army list. I'm curious if anyone has used it in their armies and if so what as? Seems he could be either a standard bearer or a musician. Has anyone come up with house rules for the mini, out of curiosity?

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Re: The Imperial Herald
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 12:17:35 PM »
I have paired him with other similar (converted) miniatures from Front Rank Figurines. The idea was to put them on a small scenic base of appropriate size and have them count as a wizard wagon.

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=34960.200

Otherwise he would be well suited as a unit filler in the back of an infantry unit I think.

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 11:06:47 PM »
Wow! Those look great. Good idea.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 02:33:20 PM »
I always hated the herald miniature. Because like you say, it doesn’t fit anywhere. I had one. Gave it to a friend.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:01:28 PM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 02:49:15 PM »
Hadn't considered him being a counts as both figure ... hmmm.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 09:25:00 PM »
It's a great model!

I believe game-wise the Herald was meant to represent a mounted Battle Standard Bearer.

The 4th/5th ed Knightly Orders didn't come with a musician. The herald could work as a musician for Blazing Sun or Panther Knights.

Reeeally cool paintjob, Victor!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 05:34:10 PM »
If we are talking about the guy with the blowing the horn, I got him new in the package recently and as he was in the 5th Empire army book as the army battle standard for the example army. I am pretty sure he was labelled as such.

Great painting Victor.

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 12:25:31 AM »
If we are talking about the guy with the blowing the horn, I got him new in the package recently and as he was in the 5th Empire army book as the army battle standard for the example army. I am pretty sure he was labelled as such.
There is one picture of the mini in the army book as "Imperial Herald with battle standard." But again, he also has a horn. He also appears to be unarmed with no armor. Hardly someone I'd give the army battle standard. There's no mention of a herald in the army list. Don't get me wrong. I like the mini. I recently picked one up and I like the idea of using it as a unit filler.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 08:54:14 AM »
The model was sculpted by Adam Perry and released in 1992, and was also available in the "Heroes of the Empire" box, together with Ludwig Schwarzhelm, the Supreme Patriarch/Thyrus Gorman and the Captain of the Reiksguard/Kurt Helborg. All the others got rules of their own at some point, but apparently not the Herald.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 11:37:34 AM »
On a side note:  there was no 5th edition Empire AB. The 4th edition AB (1993) was replaced by Ravening Hordes (2000).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 11:27:46 AM »
Quote from: KTG17
He also appears to be unarmed with no armor. Hardly someone I'd give the army battle standard.

Just like later, in 4th/5th ed the Battle Standard bearer could be given whatever armor, or could go unarmored. (Not saying unarmored was or is a common choice.)

90's Empire figures often had varied armor compared to their game stats. No full plate yet, and the distinction between light and heavy armor could be minimal. Probably more a sculptor's choice than dictated by the army list.

And you might argue that historically, various styles of surcoats etc. were worn over the armor in certain periods. It would be very fitting for a herald/BSB to show the colors instead of the metal armor. Even the 'landsknecht uniform' was in some occasions worn atop of the armor.

The model was sculpted by Adam Perry and released in 1992, and was also available in the "Heroes of the Empire" box, together with Ludwig Schwarzhelm, the Supreme Patriarch/Thyrus Gorman and the Captain of the Reiksguard/Kurt Helborg. All the others got rules of their own at some point, but apparently not the Herald.

Well, he is also the one without a proper name, so not of 'hero material'.

The 4th ed book, p. 82, reads "Imperial Herald with Battle Standard", so clearly the figurine was meant to be used for a Battle Standard bearer. Perhaps the figurine has the horn just to elevate and differentiate it from other standard bearers?

The fluff in the 90's usually included the Emperor whose standard, according to the rules, is carried by his champion (Ludwig Schwarzhelm). There isn't much talk of imperial battle standard bearers other than Ludwig. The Herald gives you a figurine to use when you don't want to have Ludwig as your BSB. In that sense the figurine makes sense also for strict game purposes.

-Z
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 11:44:03 AM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »
I always intended to turn him into a Bretonian standard. I think there is a similar one on foot

Offline emmafrost1

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023, 01:34:50 PM »
I always intended to turn him into a Bretonian standard. I think there is a similar one on foot

Same here     

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2023, 02:34:19 PM »
There were a lot of concept culdesac's in the 1990's ranges.
GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2023, 02:21:31 PM »
I figured it out. He is the 'mouthy' journalist of his time
The longer he stays in play, he continuously praises the Imperial government whilst hurling obscenities at all non-Empire races.
For every turn, he gets additional followers who will take wounds for him and the Emperor

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2023, 04:45:20 PM »
Ha! :icon_biggrin: :icon_lol: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra