home

Author Topic: How to make Teutogen Guard  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Hurin Thalion

• Members
How to make Teutogen Guard
« on: December 11, 2014, 04:11:57 AM »
Hey guys, I'd like to add a unit of Teutogen Guard to my army as counts-as Greatswords. The thing is, ~30 Teutogens on eBay would run me over $250, which is too much. I was thinking of using some of the Knights of the White Wolf bits from the Knight kit, but what would be the best base models? Greatswords are the obvious choice, but I don't know if they're too scrawny compared to the metal Teutogens. Chaos Warriors might be workable, but they come on 25mm bases. What are the thoughts of the people here?
Out of Doubt, Out of Dark
to the Day's Rising I Came
Singing in the Sun, Sword Unsheathing

Offline arjunstc

• Members
Re: How to make Teutogen Guard
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:29:51 AM »
Well, if they were any less scrawny than the greatswords, they would need a 25mm base now, wouldn't they?  :-D

Maybe the greatsword figures with White Wolf parts, plus the Chaos Marauder capes? The cape should add some visual bulk to the figures.

Offline Cam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 06:42:55 AM »
There is a couple of ways to do this.
But first, do you want to use only GW figures or are you willing to look into other producers?
How adept are you at converting in general, and with green stuff?

Are you ok with the fact that the new Greatsword bodies don't really resemble the original Teutogen Guard models very much, or do you want to stay as close to the originals as you can?

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 07:39:31 AM »
If you don't need them tournament legal, there should be a suitable proxy order in my upcoming footknights.  :engel:

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »
Some points: Teutogen guard models are awesome. They are also quite unique: no plastic box is even close to their appearance. If you're going to convert them it will be extremely difficult to make them to look like the originals. So either you spend millions of dollars for buying them (I just bought 6 for 33€ and it hurt!) or convert them to look like something else than the originals.

I really like the greatsword models (both plastic and metal) so for me they were the right choice. My army isn't that Middenheimish after all with all the cannons and handguns. If you could think yourself playing with a unit of greatswords you could replace their heads with bearded ones from marauder box and white wolves.

Another idea is to make them look like warrior monks as I did for my warrior priests. I made these models mainly for fun because I usually use my metal warrior priest of Ulric model and I have never needed five warrior priests in a same battle. The conversion is simple: flagellant robe, knight's breastplate and hands from the white wolf set. The hood is made from greenstuff and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I have to say I'm tempted to build a unit of these.

Of course you can always buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best! Maybe you could make a deal with Ulric that you'll give all the money for charity (protection of wild wolves would be a good choice) except the amount you need to buy the metal teutogen guard...

Offline LarsRock

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 10:29:14 AM »
I made some Teutogen-ish guys last year, with the legs from some 6. edition dark elves (the crossbow guys), heads, arms and torsos from the white wolfs and a decent amount of greenstuff for capes, fillings, etc..
If you can come by the 6. edition legs from the dark elves, they are ideal for that Teutogen look..;)

Best of luck
Behold as Rome burns, as do I
´Tis not the last empire to crumble

Offline fp

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
Teutogen Guard are one of the best models in whole GW range. I think that the best way is to buy in on ebay as I did. That (38+LE BSB) cost me around $220. Just look for a good deal.
Pink is like red but not quite.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »
I have an elaborate plan to create the closest posssible proxies, but you have to mix non GW with GW bits ::heretic:: :icon_twisted:

frontrank dismounted knights
heads from spacewolves
hamers from spacewolves
wolf cloaks from GW knights

that should work, but I don't know when I will come around to bulid them, so you can go ahead.

Teutogen Guard are one of the best models in whole GW range. I think that the best way is to buy in on ebay as I did. That (38+LE BSB) cost me around $220. Just look for a good deal.

I agree with you, I have them on my to buy list, but I won't be able to afford mord than the minimum 10 men unit.  :icon_sad:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 01:57:16 PM by DariusZero »
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 06:03:32 PM »
hint, hint, for all those sculptors......do Teutogen Guard  :smile2: 

your models look very cool sir  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »
Interesting thoughts all!
Chaos warriors do have the looks to turn them into teutogen guard but they lack the dynamic poses.
If you like the current greatswords you can turn them into awesome greathammerers with the chaos warriors hammers and very little effort (see pic)
It wouldn't be to difficult to give them capes, white wolf iconography and heads and bitsfrom the marauder horsemen, white wolf sprue and space wolfs to 'ulricify' them
alternatlivly flaggelants lower torsos with full plate sculpted over them would look very good as well. and the one big hammer from the white wolf sprue with a beefed up hammerhead looks good as well.

now that I think on it I would consider using greatswords arms and torsos, with chaos warriors hammers, lower torsos from flaggelants or dark angels (like my warrior priest shown above) with plate mail sculpted over and heads from marauder horsemen and space wolfs and a collection of wolf cloaks and sculpted cloaks
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Sceleris

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 11:57:27 AM »
Had a reasonable amount of success using dark elf warrior legs, knight torsos and then Great Weapons bits - will try to get some photos up