home

Author Topic: Broke my mental block - Mariner's Plog  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Mariner

• Members
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001630294702
Broke my mental block - Mariner's Plog
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:45:36 AM »
I've had this annoying thing going on with miniature collecting where I can't start painting until I've finished collecting and building the army, it's almost like OCD.

Well, I haven't quite finished my empire army, but did manage to break the cycle and paint my first empire mini since 93, a Middenheim cannon crewman, and it was most enjoyable, a very refreshing change from space marines and guard troopers.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:17:35 AM by Mariner »

Offline wardenmunger

• Members
Re: Broke my mental block
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:23:36 AM »
Looks very nice. You shouldn't stop until you have 2400 points of men!I like your blue alot.
Listen in to one of the biggest podcasts in the UK - The Black Sun Podcast - over 18's only !

Follow me on twitter - @wardenmunger

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:24:01 AM »
Good work after so long time  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »
"PAINT" my brother   :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Mariner

• Members
Re: Broke my mental block - Mariner's Plog
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:52:18 AM »
The postman was very good to me today, filled my mailbox with lead from a bunch of sources, when it rains it pours!  Glad I beat my wife home so I could secret them all away on my desk.  Voland's Venators, some Reiksguard on foot, old metal outriders and a really old Citadel man at arms in plate armour with deep kettle hat.  Totally awesome, but he's way smaller than most other models, could easily be a child in full plate. 

So now my collection is almost complete, the last few models are trickling in but I'm 99% there.  This Empire collection marks a different approach for me.  With other armies, I have collected the models to fit a particular all comers list.  This time I've got enough models to pretty much tailor the list for each opponent and try out all sorts of tactics.  It's going to take me ages to paint it all though...

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:10:17 AM by Mariner »

Offline Mariner

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 03:15:19 AM »
I found that using excel makes army organization a lot easier...

Three main sections, Nordland, Middenheim and Mercenaries.  I know the mercs aren't a legal army any more, but I like them and I can use some units mixed in whatever lists I come up with from this lot. 
Picture is smaller making the text hard to read, full size here: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5732706138_63b6e126b0_b.jpg
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:19:08 AM by Mariner »

Offline Mariner

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 12:33:18 AM »
So this month's painting competition gave me some motivation to paint a couple of knights.  One is a Knight Encarmine, one of GW's secular orders with a color scheme and some basic background material.  I love the red armoured knights, so I decided I needed a unit in my army.

The other is from an order of my own design, the Order of the Ship & Lobster...

The Ship & Lobster was a coaching inn near the Nordland coast, attacked one night by a large raiding party of norse.  Wilhelm Traeger, brother of the landlord of the Ship & Lobster and captain of the local militia force, arrived with his men too late to catch the norsemen or save the inn, but did find his dying brother in the courtyard, a norse arrow through his neck.  With his dying breath, Gerald Traeger told his brother the location of the inn's gold & reserves of fine ale and asked him to avenge the loss of the finest drinking establishment in a hundred miles.
Wilhelm took the partially burned sign from the Ship & Lobster, and with the considerable wealth from the inn's safe, equipped his men with horses, weapons and armour.  Hoisting the sign high, and with a cart of fine ale in tow, he and his men vowed to kill any and all norse raiders.

My other diy knightly order is another based in Nordland, also equipped with great weapons, the Order of the Sea Porcupine. Haven't done any of those guys yet though...

Offline klunc

• Members
  • from Space Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 12:58:26 AM »
The Ship & Lobster was a coaching inn near the Nordland coast, attacked one night by a large raiding party of norse.  Wilhelm Traeger, brother of the landlord of the Ship & Lobster and captain of the local militia force, arrived with his men too late to catch the norsemen or save the inn, but did find his dying brother in the courtyard, a norse arrow through his neck.  With his dying breath, Gerald Traeger told his brother the location of the inn's gold & reserves of fine ale and asked him to avenge the loss of the finest drinking establishment in a hundred miles.
Wilhelm took the partially burned sign from the Ship & Lobster, and with the considerable wealth from the inn's safe, equipped his men with horses, weapons and armour.  Hoisting the sign high, and with a cart of fine ale in tow, he and his men vowed to kill any and all norse raiders.

I like this a lot. I can't wait to see your 'standard bearer'

Offline SlimShady

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 02:23:53 AM »
like the knights  :::cheers:::

Offline Lachieo

• Members
  • Faith and Steel!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 03:31:23 AM »
Awesome Knight Encarmine and I must say that is the best founding for a knights chapter I have ever heard. :::cheers:::
I have CDO, it's OCD but in alphabetical order. The Way It Should Be!
W/L/D 8th ED Army of Awesomeness: 10/0/0 :)

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 05:28:46 AM »
Some good work in here :)

I see that you have one of those old real 25mm knights, from time's long ago. You can still order these from Wargames Foundry, maybe you could then make a whole unit out of them?

And even in the real world no one is the same build / height as another, so I should worry to much about that.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »
I like the colour scheme on both knights, and the way you painted them. It's nice to see at least someone uses vivid colours for  the armour. You should easily win the competition.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 07:38:27 AM »
I really like the blue on the second one. What colors did you use?
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
Amazing! :eusa_clap: Keep us updated, please...
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 03:42:51 PM »
How did you go about painting that nice red finish on the knight encarmine's armour?  Care to give us the steps you used.  It really is a nice deep red
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Mariner

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Let's see...the blue on the second horse was hawk turquoise with a wash of asurmen blue all over, then a heavier wash pooled between the ridges of the barding. Highlights with hawk turquoise, then hawk turquoise with a dash of white.  Oh yes, primed white, painted with vallejo game colours so the names are similar enough to GW.

The red on the Knight Encarmine was an absolute pain in the ass, I probably couldn't replicate it for the others in the unit if I tried.  I really wanted to get as close to the red on the GW version as possible, so I started with red gore, washed/glazed with old citadel purple ink, highlights in red gore mixed with grey (can't remember the name, label wore off). Black and silver for chipped areas, but the highlights looked silly and the chipped areas distracted from the look of the plate, so I went over the highlights with red gore again, painted over the chips, then washed with badab black.  Then I tried a really watered down mix of red gore/grey/white to highlight, result looked too pink, so some more badab black applied in recesses and then glazed with a mix of vallejo glaze medium and old citadel red ink.  Suffice it to say I'll be doing it differently next time... if anyone has a clue how GW did theirs I'd love to hear.   

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 03:43:33 AM »
Nice work! Looking forward to seeing more of the Order of The Ship and Lobster!
My Middenland Army: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37453.0

There is no facepalm that can fully illustrate the state of mind I am currently in...

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
My favorite red, and similar in shade to the GW Encarmine, is a base of (Foundation Paint) Mechrite Red, highlight with Khador Red (a brighter "Blood Red" from the Privateer Press P3 line), wash with Badab Black, then re-highlight with Khador Red, then Fiery Orange if necessary. I never add white to my reds, if I want to lighten up a red, I always use orange or yellow. Adding white makes it pink.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Gedeon Mootinberg

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 04:12:05 AM »
Nices figs and very interesting lore!

Is it  a kind of parody about warhammer reals knights orders? Anyway, I like it a lot!!! ;):P