home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296142 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (OWAC Sea Elves)
« Reply #1375 on: April 02, 2019, 05:07:22 AM »
Thanks!

Are you after specific shields? I have A LOT of shields...

Been trying to find some of the newer embossed elf shields. I think there were several different sets. Harder than I thought it would be. Would like to save my plain shields for other purposes. The sea elves have been a long-lingering project, so I'm not rushed. To be honest, I'm happy the figures are finally getting paint on them at all.  :icon_lol:

These are the ancient oneposer plastics? You've done them really well!  :eusa_clap:

Yes, from the 4th ed. box. They're not spectacular figures, but they are definitely solid rank & file troops.

Having the different colors reminds me of how 023 painted his Marienburg army. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Thanks. I was going for something sort of like that. Rather than mercenaries, they're a composite of bits and pieces of guards, soldiers, and militia from various elven merchant houses in Marienburg. So still not uniform -- not a royal or noble army. Something smaller, but having a common color palette reflecting that of the sea & sky.

Been working on these three figures since the tail end of Deadcember. Snail's pace given that they're a speed-painting dream, but they're finally done.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1376 on: April 02, 2019, 12:55:31 PM »
Are you after specific shields? I have A LOT of shields...

Been trying to find some of the newer embossed elf shields. I think there were several different sets. Harder than I thought it would be. Would like to save my plain shields for other purposes. The sea elves have been a long-lingering project, so I'm not rushed. To be honest, I'm happy the figures are finally getting paint on them at all.  :icon_lol:

I have a lot of shields too.
I think.
Mainly from the Silver Helms? I will check, but might be a week before I can tell you - Tuesday's are my day for a bit of hobby if all goes well.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Trolls! again)
« Reply #1377 on: April 16, 2019, 02:35:43 AM »
The three most recent Satyr Art Studio bog trolls have been painted!

Group pic with the previous sets.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #1378 on: April 16, 2019, 01:03:55 PM »
I like the variation of blue. it adds character and realism.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #1379 on: April 18, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »
very cool
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1380 on: April 21, 2019, 05:01:42 PM »

Giant & troll. More pics & info on the website: https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2019/04/big-april-19.html

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #1381 on: April 22, 2019, 12:31:44 PM »
I was almost to ready to see a giant eating a troll.  :laugh: Probably would have been too much.

Love your painting.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1382 on: April 29, 2019, 01:39:35 AM »
Hard to get a clear shot, but here's a couple of close ups of the unfortunate victim that were requested at the LAF.

Photo of all the painted (so far) giants on my blog: https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2019/04/giants-to-sea-elves.html

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1383 on: April 29, 2019, 11:03:11 AM »
Great job on the eyes!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1384 on: April 29, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
Yup, great work on the whole face, in fact :eusa_clap:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #1385 on: May 01, 2019, 04:21:38 AM »
the finger nails.  ::heretic:: they can't be unseen!
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #1386 on: May 02, 2019, 08:11:54 PM »
That dude looks convincingly scared.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1387 on: July 05, 2019, 04:09:58 AM »

I've been neglecting the forums lately. Work got extremely busy, I've had to travel a lot the past two months, and I've had a lot of overtime, late nights, etc. I'm hoping things return to normal soon.

I've (barely) managed to keep up with the Old World Army Challenge, and finished my final entry -- for June.

More words and photos at the site: https://oldworldarmychallenge.blogspot.com/2019/07/zerotwentythrees-june-sea-elves-316-pts.html

I'll be posting a fully army shot & OWAC wrap-up soon. I think I missed sharing my last entry -- it's also on the OWAC, as are a lot of other great oldschool WFB armies.

For a change of pace, I'm thinking about painting an old dragon. I stripped some of my old ones a while ago. Here's my available options:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #1388 on: July 05, 2019, 04:40:54 AM »
whoa that's amazing stuff
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1389 on: July 07, 2019, 12:58:50 PM »
Love that chariot, it has escaped my collection because I've never really done Elves and they now change hands for £100+ ... maybe one day?

I do love a dragon, not sure if I've got that old Ral Partha one though. I have a list somewhere, but without pictures on it it's hard to remember what is which.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1390 on: July 22, 2019, 05:26:24 AM »
Love that chariot, it has escaped my collection because I've never really done Elves and they now change hands for £100+ ... maybe one day?

Funny story... before the "oldhammer" craze hit, I was trying to sell that chariot for us$20 for years. Listed it on eBay, took it to gaming convention flea markets... but it was the one thing that never sold. So I figured I HAD to paint it. Stupid elf chariot...  :icon_lol:

Still waffling on the dragon(s). But I painted some more hobbits...

And put together my first Oathmark human, which will be the start of a small faction (very) similar to the half orc faction I've been painting the past few years. In fact, I plan on having enough human bandits/rebels/rough mercenaries to combine into a single large army.... if they could ever be united.  :wink:

Offline orcyboy

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Hobbits & Oathmark humans)
« Reply #1391 on: July 22, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »
I love the Oathmark humans kit.  I've only managed to make a few bowman so far.  I can't wait to get my Forgotten Worlds Northman and maybe build some kind of Border Princes army out of them and the Oathmark guys.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1392 on: July 22, 2019, 05:47:49 PM »
Oooh!  That's a good idea! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

I'm very much into the concept of the Border Princes, and I like the idea of mixing and matching various figures to make up these armies.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1393 on: July 28, 2019, 01:06:00 AM »
I love the Oathmark humans kit.  I've only managed to make a few bowman so far.  I can't wait to get my Forgotten Worlds Northman and maybe build some kind of Border Princes army out of them and the Oathmark guys.

Oooh!  That's a good idea! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

I'm very much into the concept of the Border Princes, and I like the idea of mixing and matching various figures to make up these armies.

That could look good. I'd like to see how the kits scale up with each other!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1394 on: July 28, 2019, 06:41:07 AM »
I experimentally put together some more Oathmark humans. Ten total so far. I mixed in some Citadel bits on half of them (mostly heads). I tried out the advice in the replies from the last entry on my blog. I ended up cutting the bases completely off because it was fairly clean & easy. I went with the Citadel beveled bases because they then fit pretty cleanly on those, and also I'm out of my home-made bases and don't have the patience to wait to cut them. ;) But the Citadel bases also help give a little extra height to the minis.

At any rate, the bits mostly mixed well (just a little neck trimming) and they rank up better than I had thought they would! I'm thinking if I pick up a second box, I can field two regiments of 25 melee troops, plus 10 archers. A good core for a small bandit/rebel/militia/whatever force.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #1395 on: July 28, 2019, 07:26:43 AM »
I'm still not sure about the shields. Square seems odd. I'll probably stick with the square shields though, just because it is odd I guess and will keep them more fantasy looking rather then historical.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #1396 on: July 28, 2019, 11:43:36 AM »
Same, love the miniatures but the shields are oddly themed. Doesn't look terrible, but I'd be inclined to replace them with e.g. pavises or somesuch.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1397 on: July 28, 2019, 10:50:24 PM »
The shields seem pretty divisive. When the figures first came out I knew I would eventually get some, and my initial plan was to replace the shields with round ones. But after ruminating on it for a while, I decided to use the rectangular shields for a different look than usual.

They remind me of the shields that come with some of Foundry's ancient Germans. I may even paint some ancient German/Gallic animal designed on them. They also look a bit like flattened Roman scuta, which evolved through a number of forms, both oval and rectangular, flat and curved. (But AFAIK never had the flat + rectangle combo.)

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yziCKq0YlOo/Sk5l5qkndBI/AAAAAAAAAYA/N5MOXd_uZ_I/s1600-h/gerinf4.jpg

Plus, I'm using ancient Germans (including some with similar shields) as the Undeadish -- corrupted bandits & mountain folk. So it works for me in an unexpected way.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:56:34 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #1398 on: July 28, 2019, 11:07:10 PM »
Yeah, they look like ancient Italian shields. Go for it if it works for your theme.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1399 on: July 28, 2019, 11:58:43 PM »
The square shields are different.  Almost like some sort of Roman shields?  Maybe that's because of the boss though.

I'm not really concerned because it is fantasy.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra