home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 668639 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #1400 on: July 24, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »
I have no idea, never owned any of the models, but from the picture alone - where are the other set of wheels? Does the model have two pairs?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #1401 on: July 24, 2012, 11:01:17 PM »
It looks like it has enough pieces (based on assembling it in my head) with the exception of one of the front wheels (the "half-wheels") - I can only see one in there. Unless you are going to assemble it as some kind of "Reliant Robin Stank" (which might be rad) then you will need to replace that piece (a single plastic wheel cut in half would allow you to replace both front wheels with identical pieces, of course).
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1402 on: July 25, 2012, 09:39:31 AM »
Red Box minis also have a kickstarter... I hope nobody else has posted them yet.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1103158358/red-box-games-helsvakt-horde

Right now only really interesting for Chaos and Bretonnians but for those two .....fantastic minis.

Offline entombet

• Members
« Reply #1403 on: July 25, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »
Metal steam tank had one front wheel?.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1404 on: July 25, 2012, 08:13:44 PM »
No, two. But they were only half-wheels because they fit onto the surface of the bottom of the hull.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #1405 on: July 26, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »
Red Box minis also have a kickstarter... I hope nobody else has posted them yet.

Right now only really interesting for Chaos and Bretonnians but for those two .....fantastic minis.
Very nice.  I've been considering the Gynnade Krigare as Chaos Chosen, and this might be a good reason to jump in.

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #1406 on: August 01, 2012, 06:51:09 AM »
Saw this guy's WIP here:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=41974.0

Looks exciting.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1407 on: August 01, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »
Saw this on the Wargames Factory page; Long URL is long

Might be suitable for someone's army or something :)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1408 on: August 01, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »
The Conquest Games Normans are on pre-order - due out around August 8th

Some more shots.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #1409 on: August 01, 2012, 09:34:48 PM »
stop it you're making my wallet cry  :eusa_wall:
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1410 on: August 02, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
Some good news from Foundry:

Neil and I have spent the last couple of weeks reorganising the racks of blister packs here at Foundry in sunny Saint Ann's*.
Stock has been under pressure over the last couple of months as Ronnie (caster, mould maker and sculptor Ronnie) has often been pulled away to do other things.

Our plan was to make sure that we have at least eight blisters in stock of everything: even the not terribly popular codes, so we set about gathering moulds for the missing models and piling them up around Steve and Ronnie's casting benches.

We've only been working here for a month or two, and so it was interesting to discover all the models that we had never looked at properly before: and the ones that we hadn't even realised existed.

There is no current printed Foundry catalogue, so we were using old A5 size catalogues (perhaps 10 years old), and, navigating by catalogue it was soon clear that the contents of the packs in huge sections of the range had changed.

We knew that a number of packs from Foundry ranges had been withdrawn and replaced. But we were very surprised just how many packs of models have disappeared and had their place taken by often rather mundane substitutes.

Even small ranges have had a dozen or so packs removed; while hundreds are missing from the larger ranges (mostly those sculpted in the golden age of the eighties ). Despite its legendary status, enormous popularity and miraculous depth, even Michael and Alan Perry's marvellous Napoleonic range has been ripped apart and its ranks invaded by somewhat wonky imposters.

It's hard to see how all this has come about.

Neil insists that it can only be the work of dark forces.

One end of our building; the end built in red brick in 1861, used to be an abattoir (really). When Foundry first came here there were still old blood gutters running down to the big doors that lead to the street.

Neil' theory is that the combination of ancient dried blood (who knows from what source) and molten lead (that once sheathed the roof of eldritch temples) has drawn satanic creatures to our factory. Terrified Foundry staff must have been forced to participate in dark ceremonies; where boiling blood and bubbling ladles full of molten Napoleonic castings were offered to arcane daemonic creatures lusting after molten lead from only the very finest 28mm scale models, and thus denying those models to the human population of the Earth for eternity.

This is a very fine theory indeed, but I feel that we must look for a simpler explanation and solution; probably involving finding the moulds for the missing packs and putting them all back into production.

So, that is now our plan. We have indeed found a huge number of moulds that haven't been run for years, and there are a whole ranges that have been discontinued.

It's possible that some moulds have disappeared, and it is likely that some moulds might have worn beyond the point at which we would be comfortable selling models that had been cast from them, but we will almost certainly be able to get hold of their original master moulds and recast the masters. Recasting will be interesting as we now have more sophisticated techniques for casting masters and can produce more three dimensional, crisper models.

We will almost certainly start with Napoleonic's and, daemons permitting, we hope to get started next week.

There will be a delay between us having castings available and getting them on our website, but we will announce which models we have available on this page, so you will at least be able to order them by phone as soon as we have them cast.
Neil and I will set up a scheme that will allow you to order any models from any of our ‘discontinued’ ranges that we have a mould for.

We will be spending a lot of time going back and forth gathering up the old moulds for the casters and getting the reissued models on the hooks.

So, if you give us a call and tell us which models you need, we'll organise picking up the moulds for your models too, and when we have enough for a stack, we'll stick them in an oven, get them to temperature and hijack a caster to run them. This may take an extra day or three.

Ring us on: 0115 8413000

We can only apologise for all this and set about making the missing models available to you again. It must have been incredibly irritating to have been unable to finish regiments and armies when we switched the packs on you.

By the time you get this, hopefully the link below will lead somewhere interesting.
British Napoleonics

Marcus Ansell

*'Gun crime capital of Britain': apparently.

Quite a funny read.  I can only expect that bringing back their most popular lines will be good for them in the long run.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1411 on: August 02, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
Amusing, although the bit about "no one knows how this happened" was mentally translated as "someone doesn't want to take credit for bad business decisions of the past" as I was reading.  :engel:

But once again, at least they show that they are interested in trying to improve in the present, which is the important thing. I wish them luck in turning the company around.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #1412 on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »
Indeed

Be nice to see this once great company back at the top.

Hope they drop their prices a bit...
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1413 on: August 03, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »
That can only be good news.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1414 on: August 03, 2012, 08:53:38 PM »

Go look at the rest of the pics on this facebook page .......... you can open one up with a double click and then you can scroll through 35 shots of what looks like one hell of a kit.http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.468400939845902.110536.271339052885426&type=3

They look promising.
I have all 3 mounted boxes and they are very nice.

As to the Foundry discussion - seems to have been some changes.
Rumour has had it for some years that owner Bryan Ansell had been trying to sell it - from the latest email newsletter it would appear a relative has taken over the running and been given some sort of power to shake it up.
Price has been a problem - unless you bought in a sale and in bulk basic minis were overpriced - and new stuff of the last couple of years has been of poorer quality than what had gone before.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:08:11 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1415 on: August 05, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »
Those look really fine - I might be interested in a box or two . . .

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #1416 on: August 06, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
Are they in shops or just online?

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #1417 on: August 11, 2012, 11:43:22 AM »
If you have been thinking of getting Perry WOTR figures, now may be the time:

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=1623982861

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1418 on: August 13, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »
The battleforge has released some imperial ogres:

http://www.thebattleforge.co.uk/giants-ogres-and-trolls-38-c.asp

The pictures look interesting, it would be nice to see them with a good paintjob.  Not sure if the sculpts are worth the $25 price tag each though...
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #1419 on: August 13, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »

Just a reminder that the kickstarter is on its last couple of days.  They've added some pretty fantastic undead models.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1420 on: August 13, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »
The pictures look interesting, it would be nice to see them with a good paintjob.  Not sure if the sculpts are worth the $25 price tag each though...

Yeah, the price tag kills it for me. A shame, as I'd like to paint up a set and see how they mix with the old Marauder sculpts. They don't look quite as hot, but I'd be willing to bet they look decent with some paint.

• Members
« Reply #1421 on: August 17, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »
Spartan Games is bringing out its own 28 mm skirmish game

Fantastic minis for 40k and maybe with some conversion works also Empire

The Japanese Tank could make a fantastic steam tank.

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/games/dystopian-legions/empire-of-the-blazing-sun

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:21:00 AM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #1422 on: August 19, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »

Ooh, those look a step up from their usual sculpting quality. I'd like to see them with some paint and next to the Marauder ones too. If they are good, then I guess I can scrap landsknecht ogres from the to do list for my range.

• Members
« Reply #1423 on: August 21, 2012, 08:16:58 AM »
 :ph34r:

Reaper Bones hit the million on kickstarter

So much fantastic goodness

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #1424 on: August 21, 2012, 09:55:45 PM »

Ooh, those look a step up from their usual sculpting quality. I'd like to see them with some paint and next to the Marauder ones too. If they are good, then I guess I can scrap landsknecht ogres from the to do list for my range.

I would be tempted to buy one and give it a try, I just dislike their policy of always shipping via signed-for mail, even for a small order as it makes the high prices seem even worse.

I think they would be much better if they did their bellybuttons differently.  They did the same on lots of their halflings - just a big gaping hole.  I don't know why, it just looks silly.