home

Author Topic: Games Workshop to endorse dipping?  (Read 19415 times)

Offline andka573

• Members
Re: Games Workshop to endorse dipping?
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2008, 08:50:21 AM »
Great troll!
I've dipped an army of 70 men that came out outstanding too. I vill post it one day but havent got any pictures of it so...

Offline LochNESS

• Members
  • Averland - That's where I am
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2008, 06:13:50 PM »
Dipping could work fine, if you have
a) no time
b) can't paint, even after many efforts

But in general, I must admit I look down on dipped armies. They just don't look as good and in general I think it shows a slight lack in interest. On the other hand, I rather play against a dipped army then an army that is not painted at all. A normally painted army (even drybrushed ones) looks nicer, it shows you have payed some attention to your miniatures and affection for your army, in your own style.

From this, you can of course read that I paint my armies 'the normal way.' Maybe my army is not 'Eavy Metal standard (although my Hochland army comes darn close) but it has my 'heart and soul' in it. Many hours of careful assembly and painting, with a result, I hope, my opponent will also please. I just love to look at an army painted by someone else, pick up a mini and watch it in close-up and talk about how he/she painted it or where (s)he can improve.

I've just started (once again) with putting a 4'x4' gamingboard on my diningtable and put my entire Empire army on it. And with that, I'm also assemblimg the last miniatures I have not yet assembled. Yesterday, I assembled a nice big unit of 25 Spearmen for my Nuln army (both 6th unipose and 7th edition minis) and an additional unit of Militia for my Hochland army. The last army is now almost completely painted (5000pts exactely) and my Nuln army which is the next project, is also comming along quite nice in terms of minis I have for it. Hopefully, I'll soon have some pictures for you all :)
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Count of Averland - Check out my boardgame, wargame and hobby blog here!

Offline jullevi

• Members
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2008, 08:13:08 PM »
Dipping is like any other technique. It looks good if you know what you're doing, bad if you don't. I agree that most dipped models look bad, and that is either because a) the excess dip has not been removed properly or b) the models are left shiny, ie. haven't been varnished properly. Usually both.

If the job before and after dipping is done with care, I would say that dipping can produce great looking results while saving a lot of time and effort. However, it's a shame that most dippers take the shortest way possible and this shows in results.
Knowledge is power, hide it well.

Offline LochNESS

• Members
  • Averland - That's where I am
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2008, 09:38:54 PM »
Hmm, still can't agree there. But none the less, like I said, I rather play any dipped army then none painted at all. But then again, I paint my army to win 'best painted' in tournaments while others paint 'just to play with a nice army' which makes compairing unfair. I love seeing other painted armies, and it doesn't matter if they are extremely nice or lousy painted.
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Count of Averland - Check out my boardgame, wargame and hobby blog here!

Offline jullevi

• Members
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2008, 10:44:02 PM »
By the way, here is my latest attempt to benefit from dipping:

Of course, as you could guess it's not a rushed job but I still think I saved many hours and got a nice finish by giving them a coat of woodstain.

I also have some dipped Tomb things, all of which have been  painted pretty quickly.

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:02 PM »
jullevi you stud! That looks great! See, that's the kind of dipping you can achieve... dipping isn't as primitive or 'not as good as' conventional painting methods.

sj

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2008, 12:08:13 AM »
I must admit I'm impressed. I always thought that dripping couldn't produce such good results. I suppose I've only seen rushed paint jobs.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline thecoldwarrior

• Members
  • I said NO mayo!
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2008, 12:09:25 AM »
There is a BIG difference here though!

Jullevi's minis are painted well to begin with and THEN the dip was added as an effect. What Im against is the dip being used to cover up a bad paint job or as a reason not to have to try to paint better. Jullevi's minis do not even really need the dip at all imo, they look great!

Nice Tomb things as well.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2008, 02:11:06 AM »
Those look fantastic... but I am still not interested in dipping.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2008, 02:36:48 AM »
@ thecoldwarrior : yes, you're probably right. Still, those are some nice minis.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2008, 08:48:56 AM »
I use dipping extensively, but as a part of the paint job, a sort of universal ink...
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Frosty

• Members
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2008, 12:50:03 PM »
nice models jullevi!

'Dipping' a model doesn't automatically make you lazy or talentless... it just greatly speeds up the painting process. A neat basecoat and carefull choice of colours is still essential for good results.
You also don't have to stop after the wash/'dip', you can still highlight & drybrush the model afterwards so I believe dipping rather than being the death of traditional painting will actually help inspire more people to paint.

If your new to the hobby your early efforts at painting might not be so great so you may be put off & just end up playing with a table of undercoated minis.... 
But if you 'dip' neat basecoated models you will quickly have a half decent army which will then help inspire the player to attempt more painting techniques later on.

Bring it on GW...  bring dipping to the masses! I believe we will all benefit from a more colourfull battlefield!  (just don't actually buy the GW dip, pop down to Homebase & grab a tin of woodstain for £3.99)
Empire 2011 Tourney results.
2nd % Winnerish War, Reading
3rd % Wargames Workshop Vendetta, Northampton

www.oxfordgamingclub.co.uk

Offline andka573

• Members
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »

I think this debate is ridicules. Dipping is a great way to get astonishing looking models in very short time. If people want to play with horrible looking models just so they can say they haven't dipped them then I sayyou have to be kidding me :eusa_wall:.

So stop this nonsense and start dipping!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »
One man's astonishing is another man's urinal cake.

Phil
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:27:16 PM by PhillyT »

Offline Nightshadow

• Members
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2008, 04:14:35 PM »
One man's astonishing is another mans urinal cake.

Phil

Hehe, lol.

I wouldn“t so it myself, but if you really dislike painting or spending time on it, then I think it“s a great way to field an army that isn`t grey.
Graf Wilhelm Anderssen, Leading the Marburg Company (Stirland), joining Helstrom's 4th.
Awarded with the Nemesis Rune, Von Klaust's Laurels of Acclamation and the Scroll of Ludendorf.
NC: 5/2/1

Offline Rutgar of Wissenland

• Members
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2008, 01:07:12 AM »
*edit*  I had a comment here that was snide to people who dislike dipping.  I changed it as I dislike making a negative post.

Instead, I will post a picture of my snotling pump wagon that I dipped.  I had a hard time with browns and the dip.  They conflicted too much and didn't look right.  I finally found a great "honey brown" from one of those arts and craft stores (It wasn't Applebarrel, but one like it).  The dip worked great with the wood grain and I came out with fantastic results.  I had the mini on the table the next morning and my daughter saw it and reached to pick it up.  She was shocked to feel that it was made of metal and not really made of wood!  I felt like that right there was a big success.  It was even before it was sprayed with a matte spray.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 01:44:32 AM by Rutgar of Wissenland »

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2008, 02:01:17 AM »
Well Rutgar, snide wasn't necessary.  I think you and Jullevi have gotten some very nice results.  I was commenting on some of the less... effective dipping examples that didn't end up looking good at all. 

Making everything look like it is covered in maple syrup (which is what the vast majority of dipped armies look like) isn't my idea of either good or astonishing.

Phil

Offline Rutgar of Wissenland

• Members
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2008, 02:09:02 AM »
Well Rutgar, snide wasn't necessary. 

That's why I changed my post.    :biggriin: :biggriin:

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2008, 09:25:57 AM »
(just don't actually buy the GW dip, pop down to Homebase & grab a tin of woodstain for £3.99)
And remember to thin it with white spirit.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Frosty

• Members
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »
(just don't actually buy the GW dip, pop down to Homebase & grab a tin of woodstain for £3.99)
And remember to thin it with white spirit.

Not necessary..  Homebase woodstain is water based    :mrgreen:   I mix it about 3/4 woodstain to 1/4 water in an old paint pot.
Empire 2011 Tourney results.
2nd % Winnerish War, Reading
3rd % Wargames Workshop Vendetta, Northampton

www.oxfordgamingclub.co.uk

Offline jullevi

• Members
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2008, 11:36:53 PM »
Here is a piccie of brush-dipped Mechanical horse:

I'm painting the engineer separately and the horse still needs some details such as writing on the scrolls and touch-ups with varnish.

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2008, 11:58:03 PM »
jullevi.... I am mad at you for taking such a crappy and ineffectual model and making it look so nice...  :x

How dare you waste such talent on the robo-horse... whats next? Halberdiers?!    :wink:
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline jullevi

• Members
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2008, 12:02:47 AM »
whats next? Halberdiers?!    :wink:

Naah... I was thinking more of finishing Karl Franz on IMPERIAL DARGON which I assembled almost a year ago. I have already painted the Emperor, but the dragon is waiting for undercoat.