home

Author Topic: Warhammer annual/chronicles releases?  (Read 12086 times)

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
Warhammer annual/chronicles releases?
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:54:08 AM »
I've been trying to find some more info on them, but haven't found all that much so far. There have been 4 releases during the time of the 6th edition and that was it?
What I've seen so far:
Warhammer Annual 2002 (Steam Tank cover)
Warhammer Chronicles 2003 (Chaos Warrior on steed cover)
Warhammer Annual 2004 (Orcs & Goblins cover)
Warhammer Chronicles 2004 (Kislev Tzar Boris cover)

Is there any source that lists the content of these book?

EDIT:
Warhammer Annual 2004 (Orcs & Goblins cover) = Warhammer Chronicles 2004 (Kislev Tzar Boris cover), so there were only 3.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:52:53 PM by Shadow_Zero »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Warhammer annual/chronicles releases?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:14:14 AM »
I've been trying to find some more info on them, but haven't found all that much so far. There have been 4 releases during the time of the 6th edition and that was it?
What I've seen so far:
Warhammer Annual 2002 (Steam Tank cover)
Warhammer Chronicles 2003 (Chaos Warrior on steed cover)
Warhammer Annual 2004 (Orcs & Goblins cover)
Warhammer Chronicles 2004 (Kislev Tzar Boris cover)

Is there any source that lists the content of these book?

6th ed
Annual 2002 is Steam Tank Cover
Chronicles 2003 is Chaos Warrior on Steed
Chronicles 2004 is Kislev Tzar Boris on Bear

I can't find the Annual for 2004 on:

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Army_Books_6th_Edition
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:58:26 AM »
There were 3 - one for each year.
I think you are adding in the separate Kislev Contingent Booklet which came free with a WD.
That had Boris on his bear on the front cover.

The use of the words Chronicles & Annuals was mixed.

They mainly contained a summary of rules that were brought out during the previous year in White Dwarfs.
Most if not all of which are now obsolete under the current rules set.

2002 Annual - Steam Tank on the cover: 146 Pages

Rules Explanations/Articles on Characters/Skirmishers/Fleeing/Combat Resolution & War Machines
Bit of scenery and jungle scenery stuff
Some painting tips and pics of Armies
Rules for: Cursed Company/Steam Tank/Some Special Characters/Dogs of War/Regimenets of Renown/Lizardmen/Bretonnians/Daemons/ Siege/ Warhammer Skirmish/Witch Hunters Johann & Wilhelm/Big Bash Giants in the Arena/Hydras.
Then Q&A / Errata / Lores of Magic Sheets

Chronicles 2003 - Archaon on Cover: 146 Pages

Albion Campaign Stuff
War of the Beard stuff
Some armies pictures - 15 pages
Painting & Modelling guides - 28 pages
Special Character rules - DOW, Alarielle, Rakarth, Queek
Q&A/ Errata
Hall of Heroes

2004 Annual - Orcs on Cover 90 Pages

Rules: Kislev Allied Contingent / Ice Queen & Boris / Wood Elves // Steam Tank Extras / Cult of Ulric / Boris Todbringer / Army of Middenland / Special Characters - Valten - Eltharion the Grim - Eltharion - Shadowblade - Crom - Grom the Paunch / DoW / Regiments of Renown / Mounted Daemonettes / Revised Lores of Magic (Beasts - Heavens - Life)
Q&A and Errata

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
There were 3 - one for each year.
I think you are adding in the separate Kislev Contingent Booklet which came free with a WD.
That had Boris on his bear on the front cover.

The use of the words Chronicles & Annuals was mixed.

They mainly contained a summary of rules that were brought out during the previous year in White Dwarfs.
Most if not all of which are now obsolete under the current rules set.
Ok, tx!
So why did they 'just' release it these three years? No such supplements released for the 7th edition? Or do they just use the website for that now?

EDIT:
Hmmmz;
Chronicles 2004: http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Warhammer_Chronicles_2004_6_Cover.jpg
Kislev Contingent: http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Kislev_6_Cover.jpg

What's the difference between those 2 then?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:05:10 PM by Shadow_Zero »

Offline jullevi

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »
So why did they 'just' release it these three years? No such supplements released for the 7th edition? Or do they just use the website for that now?

Annual/Chronicles were (mostly) a collection of Warhammer Chronicles articles released in White Dwarf during the past year. Warhammer Chronicles articles covered new official, trial and unofficial rules, erratas, FAQs and Designer's Intent articles. Once GW ceased releasing Warhammer Chronicles articles in White Dwarf, there was no need or content for annual books either. They quit Warhammer Chronicles articles because Warhammer was getting too spread out or messy. No-one could keep track of a) where all the rules were and b) whether the rules were official or unofficial. It was seen as too complex system as a whole and once 7th edition appeared in horizon, the subliminal message was obvious: Warhammer = Rulebook and Armybooks. Everything else was slowly forgotten.

EDIT:
Hmmmz;
Chronicles 2004: http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Warhammer_Chronicles_2004_6_Cover.jpg
Kislev Contingent: http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Kislev_6_Cover.jpg

What's the difference between those 2?

The former is Warhammer Chronicles 2004 = Warhammer Annual 2004, a collection of White Dwarf articles released during 2003 + some new articles.  If I remember correctly, Warhammer Chronicles 2004 was released as Warhammer Annual 2004 in Northern America. Apart from the cover it should be the same book.

The latter is Kislev booklet, which is a supplement that came with White Dwarf 288 (IIRC). It had rules for Kislev Allied Contingent along with some background, painting guide and snow-themed terrain making article.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:20:49 PM by jullevi »
Knowledge is power, hide it well.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:20:33 PM »
Its just another sad loss to the Gaming world which GW hates and wants to stab. I can remember when White Dwarf was full of useful stuff.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »
jullevi nailed it.

GW decided that they would stop putting official rules in White Dwarf, so the 'summary' books which these three years were stopped as well.

The second link cover has 'White Dwarf' down the bottom and was a little booklet free with the WD.

I did forget they changed Annual to Chronicles for the North American market.

Strange really you would have thought 'Annual' was the easier word to understand .............

..... or maybe I suppose they didn't want potential purchasers expecting something "Captain Marvelesque" .......

:engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 03:53:13 AM »
Maybe they just didn't want to commit to a yearly schedule so used a less 'expectant' title?

BTW, my Chronicles 2004 does have Boris on his bear on the cover and contains the Kislev army list within as well as a lot of other stuff (DoW, experimental Wood Elf list, etc.). The General's Compendium came out around that year as well and it had a diorama of Orcs fighting Empire on it.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 07:35:08 AM »
If I remember correctly, Warhammer Chronicles 2004 was released as Warhammer Annual 2004 in Northern America. Apart from the cover it should be the same book.
I did forget they changed Annual to Chronicles for the North American market.
Uhm... did America get Annual 2004 or Chronicles 2004?  :)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:22:04 AM »
I am in the UK and my copy says:  2004 Annual

I have also just noticed that they switched the order - it was Annual 2002, and then Chronicles 2003.

Wonder why they put the year first in the last one?

Offline neverness

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 07:07:04 PM »
Weird, so it appears that they did two English language print runs of this book, what were they thinking? I wonder if the contents vary much?

Regardless, I liked this series. There seemed to be more 'energy' behind these releases (and White Dwarf) back then, which I really miss.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »
Does anyone have the release dates of the Annuals/Chronicles?