home

Author Topic: Magic the gathering...gathering thread  (Read 479625 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Magic the gathering...gathering thread
« Reply #7375 on: January 07, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »
I might play it with Atraxa. Easy flip followed by double-size Atraxa attacks!

The red/white one is really weird.

Enrage is now worth including enablers for!

This land seems good in any EDH deck that has room for another colourless land:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:30:07 PM by rufus sparkfire »
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7376 on: January 12, 2018, 11:36:26 AM »

think I need storm the vault for breya! Hope it isn't standard playable.

dinosaurs seem really fun now. You get dumb naya stompyness, but add tribal synergies, also pyrohemia/enrage effects, can build around extra combat steps for ghishath.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7377 on: January 15, 2018, 04:43:02 PM »
Standard bans! Attune with energy, rogue refiner, rampaging ferocidon, ramunap ruins.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-15-2018-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2018-01-15

Aiming to reduce the dominance of energy and mono-red.

think I need storm the vault for breya! Hope it isn't standard playable.

dinosaurs seem really fun now. You get dumb naya stompyness, but add tribal synergies, also pyrohemia/enrage effects, can build around extra combat steps for ghishath.

Storm the vault is about 3 quid at the moment I think? The hype has dissipated on that one.

Dinosaurs do look great. I remade my Gishnath deck and this time I didn't have to include any junkosauruses.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7378 on: January 17, 2018, 04:09:34 PM »
WOTC roll out a faster standard rotation, but players dont like it so they roll it back.
12 cards banned from standard in a year.

Have WOTC lost their grip on making standard playable sets?

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7379 on: February 14, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »
I think it's weird wizards are doing a "great design search" and set up a test to find people who are going to think the same way about design as wotc already so.

Pass the machete.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #7380 on: February 15, 2018, 07:50:27 AM »
I think it's weird wizards are doing a "great design search" and set up a test to find people who are going to think the same way about design as wotc already so.
It is not the first time Wizards makes strange dicisions.
They even unbanned JtMS and BBE in modern...
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7381 on: February 15, 2018, 02:48:53 PM »
https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/Commander-2018

c18:
4 decks
planeswalkers
rise in MSRP (aking more money or increasing value of reprints?)

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7382 on: February 23, 2018, 10:19:38 PM »
Wizards print precon decks for Standard that actually have good cards in them!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/challenger-decks-lists-2018-02-23

You could win actual games with these!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7383 on: March 12, 2018, 02:45:33 PM »
Sagas
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7384 on: March 12, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
is Breya phyrexian?

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7385 on: March 12, 2018, 10:10:41 PM »
No! She's from Alara.

Atraxa is. I think proliferating the counters works too, so she can make the II ability happen the turn it's played.
If I wanted to.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #7386 on: April 22, 2018, 07:11:42 AM »
Well I final made the jump. I played a Pre-Release yesterday, and it was quiet fun. Still quiet expensive, but considering you spend 3-4+ hours then its not that far from a normal Saturday night out.
I went 1-2-1 with biggest mistake was putting all my creatures down when opponent was at 2, and no creatures on the table BUT I knew he had a sweeper in hand. (The legendary Sorcery that requires a legendary creature). So stupid, I could had waited one turn to put  my 2-1 flyer down and won the next turn.

That same player was the only sketchy person, once telling me I had lost after his attacks, and I asked why, and he just look and me and said try to block. I did, traded 1 creatures, ate 2, and lost 1. Stabilized at 3 life and won the game. He was really pissed off, to the point he would jump into combat without saying anything, and when I told him BEFORE you get into combat I will use my Icy Manipulator and he told me. You need to do that before, and I said you have to say when you get going into the combat phase.

Did a card trade that probably was not in my favor, so I suppose newbie getting milked but apart from that all was fun.

Too long of a post? I will try to keep playing casual magic, and stay in Dominaria or newer stuff.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #7387 on: April 22, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
Glad you had fun, shame about the Dodgy bloke!

I've never been to a pre release but j fancy it one day.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7388 on: April 24, 2018, 02:42:24 PM »
Well I final made the jump. I played a Pre-Release yesterday, and it was quiet fun.

Did you get any good cards?
If I wanted to.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #7389 on: May 09, 2018, 10:26:23 PM »
Sorry Rufus, I didnt see you reply. I know its a little late, but for what its worth...not really.
Darigaaz Reincarnated was my best card, but I didnt play it because I was too scared of 3 colors. Looking back, I should had play it. I had good mana fixing.

Today, I played my first standard tournament. I went 1-2 and a bye, but I had fun. I think most people were even surprised I was playing, because I dont have many cards. Use a G/R ramp aggro deck, and lost against 2 control decks but manage to get 1 game out of one and the others were relative close. My deck

now the BEST part of the day....guess who I beat. The cheater, and surprise he wanted to cheat again too. He had almost the same deck, but he probably had all the expensive cards.

I am not sure anymore if he is trying to cheat or if he is not good. He talks with such a confident but he also does play that doesnt make a too much sense.

First I play Steel Leaf Champion on turn 4, and he tried to kill it with Shivan Fire with paying only 4 mana. Could had been a mistake, but thats a start.
Then he told me that I could not use Elfhame druid to pay 2 mana if I wanted to cast Baloth with kicker. Some people heard and he didnt argue.
Then he told me that the counter on Hallar was until the end of the turn.
Then he told me that the saga, that I cannot get one creature from the graveyard on the first 2 iterations.

What makes me think he is just bad, is that he would spend 2 of his Blossoming defense to block my Baloth with bonus with his 4/4 Verix and chomp block with 2 other creature (Hallar and something else). Instead of chomping the 7/7 and using one blossoming defense on each of the other creatures to trade or to keep his alive. I was at 20 and he was at 9 or something.

Sorry for the long post, how has your Magic year been? you playing dominaria regularly?
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7390 on: February 26, 2021, 05:21:06 PM »
Arise! Arise from the dead oh Magic thread!

I don't play it myself, but I thought this announcement was pretty interesting. GW is partnering up to make a 40k themed Magic the Gathering release. Word on the nerdvine is that they're (magic people, not GW) also doing a Lord of the Rings themed one.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/25/warhammer-40000-is-coming-to-magic-the-gathering-yes-really/?utm_source=Warhammer%20Community&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=GWxMTG25022021&utm_content=GWxMTG25022021

Offline Heinrich von Kampfmann

• Members
  • May Sigmar guide my blade
« Reply #7391 on: February 26, 2021, 09:49:05 PM »
God I miss playing magic with real cards...
Built a modern deck (Hardened scales but didn't buy any mox opal, repaired 2 teeth instead and then it got banned) and played one tournament with it in January 2020. Got 1 gameday EDH in during the summer with real cards but we kept 2 metres distance but better than nothing.

Not even looking at new sets, too depressing to buy and not be able to play as it should be played, with friends and laughs. Glad I got warhammer to paint, in waiting of the first post-covid battle...  :icon_cry: 

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #7392 on: March 01, 2021, 07:02:16 AM »
Built a modern deck (Hardened scales but didn't buy any mox opal, repaired 2 teeth instead and then it got banned) and played one tournament with it in January 2020. Got 1 gameday EDH in during the summer with real cards but we kept 2 metres distance but better than nothing.

Not even looking at new sets, too depressing to buy and not be able to play as it should be played, with friends and laughs. Glad I got warhammer to paint, in waiting of the first post-covid battle...  :icon_cry:
I had a fully foiled Affinity deck... I felled the pain for really when they banned it... I switched since then to Red/Black Goblins in Modern.
My wife plays the game from time to time, mostly EDH. And see loves Vampires & Elves.

I'm not super thrilled about the switch over to 40k and Lotr.
Maybe in the near future I can ride my Tarmogoyf in a Land Raider and equip it with the One Ring...
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7393 on: March 01, 2021, 01:12:10 PM »
"Magic the Gathering"?  Sounds like Ouija to me. :icon_wink:

:engel:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #7394 on: March 01, 2021, 06:16:02 PM »
Anyone playing MTG Arena (online)? Sometimes quite nice ... sometimes quite frustrating, playing against some douche bag decks. But it's free to play, so I can not complain (that much).

• Members
« Reply #7395 on: March 01, 2021, 08:21:56 PM »

I had a fully foiled Affinity deck... I felled the pain for really when they banned it... I switched since then to Red/Black Goblins in Modern.
My wife plays the game from time to time, mostly EDH. And see loves Vampires & Elves.

I'm not super thrilled about the switch over to 40k and Lotr.
Maybe in the near future I can ride my Tarmogoyf in a Land Raider and equip it with the One Ring...

Fully foiled, right in the wallet... aouch.....  :icon_cry:

and yes, 40k and lotr crossover..... WOtC has made some wierd things lately, too many secret lairs, standard bannings all the time and now this... :icon_rolleyes:

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #7396 on: March 03, 2021, 03:08:56 PM »
Man, I miss MTG. Sometimes. Then I remember I'm not very good and I don't want to play against the best cards the whole time.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

• Members
« Reply #7397 on: March 03, 2021, 08:27:46 PM »
Man, I miss MTG. Sometimes. Then I remember I'm not very good and I don't want to play against the best cards the whole time.

The best games I have are with my brother and cousin, playing casual EDH. Best format for fun, if you don't ruin it with high power cards.

Modern competitive is fun too, but takes a lot of energy. Still need to get more games with my hardened scales deck, but I've put it away after the outbreak of covid-19 and trying to stay away from MTG. Missing the old days of playing too much. But there seems to be a light in the tunnel so thinking of picking up another modern deck called Tron. Unsure as it's a bit pricey and got a car loan to pay of too.... and if vaccine fails then no point in having more decks I don't get to use.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #7398 on: March 06, 2021, 05:17:33 PM »
I pretty much exclusively played EDH but when Covid hit I stopped playing on paper and after numerous kerfuffles with the mods over on a free site I said "fuck it!"

I sold all my chaff, just kept my decks and my complete sets.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7399 on: March 07, 2021, 12:43:56 AM »
Frick it. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra