home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 140781 times)

Offline Illumini

• Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 23March2017 - Huntsmen & Priest)
« Reply #250 on: March 24, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »
Great stuff. Those crossbowmen really are from the golden age.
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2017, 04:24:13 AM »
Great stuff. Those crossbowmen really are from the golden age.
Your painting is really magnificent.

The red barding in the bottom of lothar's horse - is that just red paper? It looks great!
thanks guys. the barding extension is some little metal grid cut in half. not sure where it was from but, not model related. one of those things floating in the bit box for years waiting for just the right moment. in hindsight maybe I should have put it on the back armor.

Next up will be Reiksguard so not too exciting. In fact most of the remaining models are Reiksguard or Spearmen, will have to think about how to hold your interest as we are inching towards the finish line.  :|
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #252 on: March 25, 2017, 09:39:18 PM »
nice work thanks for sharing.  steveb

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »
I love your Huntsmen! Really shows what a brilliant color scheme Ostland has, the black and white on those uniforms looks absolutely beautiful! Very nicely done!  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2017, 01:33:46 PM »
Splendid work, I love Huntsmen - they're probably my favorite Empire unit. Beauties! :::cheers:::
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #255 on: July 09, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
cheers, guys. Glad you like the huntsmen! I am afraid we are back to more standard fare now though.
----------------------------------------

9Jul2017
Well, it’s been too long. I got distracted by the good, the bad and the ugly of life. And then, when I made it back to Warhammer, dwarfs tickled my fancy.

Now, they continue to do so. It’s all beards and chainmail, easy and quick to paint. I am working my way up to a 1500pts list.

But, eventually I made my way back to the Volganof project. Nothing gets me back in the groove like slogging through a batch of Reiksguard and, so I did. I got a little too ambitious with the striping on the standard but I think I stopped myself before my lack of steady hands became too obvious. This brings me up to 70. Twenty Reiksguard left to do…one day, not too soon.

I’ve also fixed up my Hurricanum which had shattered in a horrible accident (I wish it was gaming related but, just sitting in a box can be dangerous if you keep the box on a high shelf). Now it’s back to its former glory. I admit it makes me a bit giddy thinking about its aura affecting 2x45 Reiksguard.

My next goal will be finishing up the artillery contingent. I went to the arsenal and picked these three pieces.

I will honor the previous owner’s color choice of Altdorf on one of them, the other two will be Ostland black-white. Now, the very last cannon as prescribed in the scenario is “Ol’ Puddings” a somewhat special Great Cannon (gets to re-roll the artillery dice). I am struggling a bit with finding an interesting model. The Gamezone cannon is quite nice but, too pricey. I quite like this old Reaper cannon:

Pretty close to shelling out the twenty bucks to buy it straight from the store. But, maybe there is a cool conversion I could do instead? Anybody have some suggestions? Ol’ Puddings, the grand old cannon of Volganof, “old and almost worn smooth. Yet it still delivers shots with a deadly and well-known accuracy”. That’s all we have to work with.

The official Volganof counter:
839/969
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:55:24 PM by Naitsabes »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 9Jul2017 - Reiksguard & Hurricanum)
« Reply #256 on: July 09, 2017, 10:40:36 PM »
I love that reaper cannon. I need to buy it at some point.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:29 AM »
I like Luthor and the Huntsmen. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Oooh!  That sounds like a good name for a band!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2017, 04:01:23 AM »
Those Skull Pass Dwarfs look schweet  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »
Love this Reiksguard. How many layers did you put to achive so fine white?

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #260 on: July 10, 2017, 11:54:42 PM »
I like Luthor and the Huntsmen. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Oooh!  That sounds like a good name for a band!
it does, doesn't it. Not sure what music they would play but they'd certainly wear tights.

Those Skull Pass Dwarfs look schweet  :::cheers:::
thanks. I mixed in a few of the older plastic models. They fit together with a consistent paint job. I mean, they are all short, bearded and angry, some just have fists bigger than their heads.

Love this Reiksguard. How many layers did you put to achive so fine white?

maybe 3-4 with P3 white. The banner is the worst part. But, overexposing the photo helps too  :icon_wink:

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #261 on: July 11, 2017, 12:17:51 AM »
A lot of work with that. But the final result shows that time was undoubtedly well invested.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2017, 03:32:20 AM »
Great looking Reiksguard Knights! That white is so crisp and pristine. :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #263 on: September 21, 2017, 06:15:04 AM »
20Sep2017

The Dwarfs continue to distract me.

But, I will no longer dilute down the trickle of Volganof work here, instead I’ve started a new project log, so this way if you would like to see more dwarfs:
http://eefl.freeforums.net/thread/627/dwarfs-minor-glory

Okay, on to Volganof. Here are three great cannons (at the time of this writing, thirty seems to be the new productivity benchmark, yes, I do feel like a slacker).

First we have the ‘Faule Lotte’ part of the Altlangen Contingent (discussed at the beginning of this project log). It is a venerable piece, originally a donation from Altdorf proper to bolster the Altlangen defenses but in more recent years frequently sent outside the exclave. At Volganof her covering fire will likely not be enough to keep the Altlangen Contingent in the game for long.

And then there are ‘Hacke’ and ‘Spaten’, the two main guns overlooking the Gryphon gate. Named for their ability to bury the approaching enemy. I didn’t put the models on bases so they can be placed on the walls of Volganof one day (full disclosure: I have no immediate plans to build said walls. Pipe dreams simply put)

In total sixteen war machines are done now. The only one missing for this project is Ol’ Puddings. Almost bought the dragonhead cannon, discussed in the last update, on ebay the other day but I couldn’t quite agree with what the seller deemed an appropriate price. No rush, plenty other models to paint, 118 to be precise. In fact, it is time for:

839/969

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 20Sep2017 - cannons)
« Reply #264 on: September 21, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
More models to add at your project. As always, fatastic ones.
And you also fins time to paint some additional troops for other projects. Beautiful dwarves.. manufacturer?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #265 on: September 21, 2017, 12:56:44 PM »
Great looking cannons. I like the vibrant colors. Cool stuff! :biggriin:

Gneisenau

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #266 on: September 21, 2017, 04:27:20 PM »
Great looking cannons. I like the vibrant colors. Cool stuff! :biggriin:
More models to add at your project. As always, fatastic ones.
And you also fins time to paint some additional troops for other projects. Beautiful dwarves.. manufacturer?

Thanks guys! The dwarfs (except the BSB hack job) are from a company called 'Gamezone'. Surprised you don't know them, doesn't everybody in Spain know everybody?  :icon_rolleyes:

There are quite a few companies in Spain making models suitable for warhammer, something in the water?

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #267 on: September 21, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »
Well, of course I know them, but not all their range of models! There is also Avatar's of War, Mom Miniatures, Norba...

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #268 on: September 22, 2017, 11:39:50 AM »
I also know them, even have a couple of minis from their ranger. They're pretty good, if a hit or miss from time to time. :biggriin:

Gneisenau

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #269 on: October 13, 2017, 01:43:06 PM »
Everything you paint looks boss, especially the dwarfs, what a striking color scheme.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2017, 01:54:02 PM »
who made the dwarfs? those are great mini's  :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #271 on: December 09, 2017, 04:24:28 AM »
belated cheers for your comments. Thanks, guys.

8Dec2017
Well, it’s been too long. Not too much has happened around Volganof, it seems this project is rolling to a stop. Part of it may be that my partner in chaos has pretty much left Warhammer for pastures more historical. Working on luring him back in is hard but, I am not giving up. Anyway, that is not too motivating and so much of my hobby time has been diverted to more dwarfs. But, there has been a little bit of progress.

For one here is another little regiment of crossbowmen, proudly flying the Altdorf colors. The center back rank is filled with horrendous plastic miniatures (nope, I won’t show you a close-up, you just have to trust me). But, up front the guys look quite spiffy, GW at its finest as we’ve discussed before on this channel.

The banner was one of my first paper banners from many moons ago, boy was I feeling smart about cutting out that eagle from some city newsletter. Clearly, there is room for improvement but, it’ll stay as is for nostalgic reasons. The musician’s jaundice isn’t actually quite as bad as it looks in the photo but he should still probably see a doctor.

The other thing I’ve worked on is the not-so-mighty Sergey Pfeiffer. A bright wizard with a somewhat dubious reputation for letting his fire magic get out of control, Sergey will wait all game long for the perfect time to use his special rule. It’s a super-duper fireball he only gets to do once. Let’s hope he doesn’t wait too long and gets snatched up by a dragon or other beasty.

Here he is in between some regimental stragglers (was filling up an old regiment to 8th edition size).

861/969
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:26:49 AM by Naitsabes »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Road to Volganof (update 8Dec2017 - wizard and crossbow)
« Reply #272 on: December 10, 2017, 06:10:20 AM »
Looking grand!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Illumini

• Members
« Reply #273 on: December 10, 2017, 05:36:56 PM »
Good work with more oldies :)

I am guessing there is a maniac with a chaos army that can take on your Volganof force somewhere in UK, you should try to reach out on facebook groups / forums.

You could try to lure your partner back with Kings of War, which has rules for both historical and fantasy, so he can switch up what he plays in the same ruleset. He can even play historical vs fantasy. It will also make the actual game waaaaay quicker than what is needed with WFB rules.
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #274 on: December 10, 2017, 06:36:36 PM »
Thanks guys.

I am guessing there is a maniac with a chaos army that can take on your Volganof force somewhere in UK, you should try to reach out on facebook groups / forums.

You could try to lure your partner back with Kings of War, which has rules for both historical and fantasy, so he can switch up what he plays in the same ruleset. He can even play historical vs fantasy. It will also make the actual game waaaaay quicker than what is needed with WFB rules.
I am in the US but, this country isn't short of maniacs of various kinds...

My buddy is doing warhammer ancients which basically is a mish-mash of older WFB editions stripped of magic. so, he hasn't strayed too far. It's about convincing him to paint fantastic creatures instead of Hungarian Hussars of the 1670s (on which of course he needs to sculpt completely different kind of tassels so they don't look like they are from the 1640s...well, I am making this up, it's not as bad yet. But, that's where it's heading).