home

Author Topic: What the ... ?! GW children's books ...  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
What the ... ?! GW children's books ...
« on: May 26, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »
The few things that I have read about AoS' background felt pretty shallow, lame and ridiculous, but I guess it suited the miniatures. It did seem like they were targeting younger audiences. I did however not expect this to happen:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/21/21st-may-warhammer-adventures-tales-for-younger-readersgw-homepage-post-1/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AOS&utm_content=AOSWarhammerAdventuresMay21

Fighting the Hordes of Chaos with a slingshot. Awesome ...  :icon_rolleyes:

PS.: I still can't believe that they have sacrificed Warhammer for all of this.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:51:38 PM by Victor »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: What the ... ?! GW children's books ...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 01:42:12 PM »
It should be pointed out that they've said the Warhammer Adventurers books are not cannon, and purposely set in such a way as to attract kids without degrading any of the atmosphere and IP.

Personally I'm fine with it. I know a bunch of young kids who'd love these books. I got into warhammer when I was 8 years old and I'd certainly have read these. There's no way they're darker then Animorphs or Harry Potter was.

You should check out more of the expanded lore and the way stuff is going right now. They've actually dug quite a bit deeper and started really filling it out. It's still not the Old World, and it's still pretty High Fantasy, but I think they've done a good job of making a new world. Things are getting darker and grimer, we have a better idea of the realms now, and the politics between even the good factions is really getting going.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »
 :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 09:16:35 AM »
Look closer.. it'not only AoS but a 40k book as well!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »
Its just an attempt at marketing to a younger audience. No need to panic

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 12:24:48 PM »
This isn't going to change the core background grim darkness, or the vast majority of stuff Black Library puts out.   If you read the short stories from the Malign Portents website, you can see that Age of Sigmar is going in a darker direction.  They even changed the logo to be darker.

In the new edition the core book is going to have a much more filled in explanation of how things went from the End Times through the Age of Myth and the Age of Chaos, to how we got to the Age of Sigmar, and how the realms are laid out.  Stuff that really should have been in the first edition, as it was so vague in the first edition, and so much misinformation became what people thought was real

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 01:17:49 PM »
I wish there were books like that when I was younger. I was 41 when I found this hobby 13 years ago. They could have extracted thousands more if I started earlier 😺
Today, if I see a kid reading a book it brings tears to my eyes. Most look along books as lifeless relics from long ago. (That is completely anectdotal and I would love to proven wrong)
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 09:42:30 PM »
I want to see the books before commenting much.  It does seem a bit blah though.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 08:42:09 AM »
I want to see the books before commenting much.  It does seem a bit blah though.

There is definitely a lot judging a book by it's cover going on with this news. Making pre-release judgements.   I'll probably read one and see what it's like, os I can make an informed opinion

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 06:29:55 PM »

There is definitely a lot judging a book by it's cover going on with this news. Making pre-release judgements.   I'll probably read one and see what it's like, os I can make an informed opinion

I agree, im basing my opinion on the goofy art work  :-P
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 09:13:26 PM »
I saw multiple books for 40K in this category today.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 10:15:01 AM »
The entire re-brand of GW to 'Warhammer' and all that has come since that sort of time has been a pretty clear play to expand their demographic IMO.

These sort of books seemingly designed to get younger audiences interested in the games, I've seen a few cartoonish series' on the Warhammer Community page and they're heavily involved nowadays on all the social media platforms (not strictly for the younglings obv but I'd expect pretty alien to a lot of oldies!).

They're making sure to be very inclusive these days too and we see a lot more female models that don't conform to that age old stereotype of the armoured bikini. All pretty positive to be honest - I've got quite a few female kitbashes representing in my armies right now.

Has anyone read any of these Adventures books? Or have kids that have? Would be interesting to hear some opinions and reviews?